Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Updated: Collection of Palmyrene and Late Phartian/Early Sassanid Armies pics and miniatures

Default Updated: Collection of Palmyrene and Late Phartian/Early Sassanid Armies pics and miniatures

Hellow fellow Roman citizens! Today I bring you my personal collection of drawings and pics of miniatures from the Palmyrene army

Link: https://imgur.com/a/uymos

And below some of my favourites

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

King Odhenatus along some of his bodyguards

His wife Zenobia along some of her soldiers

And finally three drawing (two from a Russian artist and the last drawn by the master Giuseppe Rava)
    Last edited by Rampante-Cid; February 08, 2018 at 11:49 AM.

Default Re: Collection of Palmyrene Army pics and miniatures

Thank you for the wonderful pictures! Army Palmyrene Kingdom very little information.

Gäiten's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Nice.

Given my researchement I think the Palmyrians could have ben the first who introduced the late Roman Ridge helmet design given that they were a quite unique culture merging Roman, Hellenistic and Iranian (see DuraEuropos Helmet) influence.
    So I think it might have been possible that Roman and Palmyrian units (fighting for the Palmyrians) were equipped with such helmets replacing older or lost Equipment.
    When Aurelian later destroyed the Palmyrian power, the Romans, pragmatic as ever, did use these helmets in increasing numbers.

Invasio Barbarorum: Ruina Roma Development Leader - Art made by Joar -Visit my Deviantart: http://gaiiten.deviantart.com/

Nice ones!

Quote Originally Posted by asterion2005 View Post
    Thank you for the wonderful pictures! Army Palmyrene Kingdom very little information.
    As alwyays it's a pleasure to help you and other modders with your historical projects (specially when are about the Third Century Crysis).

And about the armies of the Palmyrene Kingdom maybe this article about the campaings of Odhenatus could help you:

Odeanathus and the Roman-Persian War of 252-264 A.D.: http://www.talanta.nl/wp-content/upl...Blois-7-23.pdf

Anywyas, someday I will post here or in the subforum of RO several of the articles that I have found about the armies and the Roman limes of Syria and Mesopotamia during this timeframe

Quote Originally Posted by Gäiten View Post
    Nice.

Given my researchement I think the Palmyrians could have ben the first who introduced the late Roman Ridge helmet design given that they were a quite unique culture merging Roman, Hellenistic and Iranian (see DuraEuropos Helmet) influence.
    So I think it might have been possible that Roman and Palmyrian units (fighting for the Palmyrians) were equipped with such helmets replacing older or lost Equipment.
    When Aurelian later destroyed the Palmyrian power, the Romans, pragmatic as ever, did use these helmets in increasing numbers.
    Interesting theory, besides it has a solid base. And related to this, maybe this article about the helmet found in Dura Europos could be useful for yor research:

Evidence from Dura Europos for the Origins of the Late Roman Helmets: http://faravashi.ir/download/Evidenc...%20Helmets.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Joar View Post
    Nice ones!
    For you Joar I said the same that for Asterion, and besides this week or the next I will post in RO several articles that I have from a long time about the Gods and Goddes from the Bosphoran kingdom and respect a very popular cult in the times of Marcus Aurelius and probably until the second half of the Third Century (about which a writer and artist of our days has declared to be his new follower ) that could be cool to include in the mod .
    Last edited by Rampante-Cid; January 29, 2018 at 05:37 AM.

Thanks for the info! About ridge helmets, I was supposed to do them in Palmyrene army, but then changed his mind. I'm doing a new army to Palmyra and the Eastern factions. The Kingdom of Bosporus will also be (as I was born and grew up and live in the Crimea and some artifacts seen live). I now have the Bosporan army, but it is still not finalized. Screenshots'll post later.

Thanks for the info! About ridge helmets, I was supposed to do them in Palmyrene army, but then changed his mind. I'm doing a new army to Palmyra and the Eastern factions. The Kingdom of Bosporus will also be (as I was born and grew up and live in the Crimea and some artifacts seen live). I now have the Bosporan army, but it is still not finalized. Screenshots'll post later.
    Looking forward to seeing them!

Great news! I will wait eagerly to see them !

On other hand, Asterion are yo still working in the first camaing of "Year of the Five Emperors"¿

Quote Originally Posted by Rampante-Cid View Post
    Great news! I will wait eagerly to see them !
    On other hand, Asterion are yo still working in the first camaing of "Year of the Five Emperors"¿
    I plan to cover the period from the end of the reign of Marcus Aurelius to Constantine the Great. On 3 different maps. Now I have integrated 2, 1 to 100% (IС-2), the second at 30% - MM for BI. Units ready for 70 %(all new). Info - pictures 40%. But I think before the release of RO will not work!
    Last edited by asterion2005; January 31, 2018 at 07:19 AM.

I plan to cover the period from the end of the reign of Marcus Aurelius to Constantine the Great. On 3 different maps. Now I have integrated 2, 1 to 100% (IR-2), the second at 30% - MM for BI. Units ready for 70 %(all new). Info - pictures 40%. But I think before the release of RO will not work!
    And why not will work? If you release the maps that not cover the timeframe of RO I don´t think that will be a problem, right? Unless that the only map really finished at this time is the one of Gallienus because is almost at the same time that RO .

Anyways, if you are interested maybe I can give you hand with the historical information of the timeframe of the Severans.

Default Collection of Palmyrene Army pics and miniatures

And why not will work? If you release the maps that not cover the timeframe of RO I don´t think that will be a problem, right? Unless that the only map really finished at this time is the one of Gallienus because is almost at the same time that RO .

Anyways, if you are interested maybe I can give you hand with the historical information of the timeframe of the Severans.
    Thanks for the help! From the information I need the images on the shields of the legionaries. About card: I like card of Crisis 2. I modified it, prescribed resources, added more than 10 regions(Argentorate, Panticapaeum and others). But I still have 2 excellent cards, one I have already integrated into the game (partially), the other will be with navigable rivers. I(like everyone) waiting for the release of RO! And to avoid accusations of theft before the release of RO, my mod will not publish!
    By the way, I translated the Crisis 3 for engine Alexander! Quite interesting! I played for the Arabs, Palmyra, Alemanni! Absolutely no crashes before battle!
    And finally: I work alone. I want to make a full modified mod! And for this you need time and inspiration!

The new mod uses a layered model. It's a gold band, for example.
    Last edited by Abdülmecid I; February 04, 2018 at 04:01 AM. Reason: Consecutive posts merged.

Interesting.

So you designed one all-round model (included different helmets, weapons, shields) and then design different skins with using the Alpha-channel for blending out certain elements, do not you?
    Have done the same, very effective.

Invasio Barbarorum: Ruina Roma Development Leader - Art made by Joar -Visit my Deviantart: http://gaiiten.deviantart.com/

Interesting.

So you designed one all-round model (included different helmets, weapons, shields) and then design different skins with using the Alpha-channel for blending out certain elements, do not you?
    Have done the same, very effective.
    Absolutely! Just so! However models are bulky! However, on Your advice, I will translate the game for Alexander! The problem with the factions-the hordes! They develop incorrectly!

By the way, dear Gäiten! The compilation units in Palmyra there are camel cataphracts. It is believed that in fact, these military units was not! What do You think? Whether they enter the game?
    Last edited by Abdülmecid I; February 04, 2018 at 04:00 AM. Reason: Consecutive posts merged.

julianus heraclius's Avatar The Philosopher King

Beautiful looking units asterion.

Great models Asterion! I'm sure they will amazing in the battlefield

Great models Asterion! I'm sure they will amazing in the battlefield
    I think that can be done better, but I don't know how! I especially don't like the bends in the elbows and knees. But then perhaps, you will need to edit the animation, and I'm not good at this!

By the way, dear Gäiten! The compilation units in Palmyra there are camel cataphracts. It is believed that in fact, these military units was not! What do You think? Whether they enter the game?
    Camel Cataphracts did have their moment in the Battle of Nisibis 2017AD. Generally researchment thinks that they were rather Arabs than Iranian warriors.
    IMHO I would use them, both for the Palmyrians and Iranians (Arsacids or Sassanians),but only in very small numbers.

I think that can be done better, but I don't know how! I especially don't like the bends in the elbows and knees. But then perhaps, you will need to edit the animation, and I'm not good at this!
    IMHO, in-game it would be look better. Using given animations in 3DS they often look very silly, with some manual calibration in 3DS you can improve their stances.

Camel Cataphracts did have their moment in the Battle of Nisibis 2017AD. Generally researchment thinks that they were rather Arabs than Iranian warriors.
    IMHO I would use them, both for the Palmyrians and Iranians (Arsacids or Sassanians),but only in very small numbers.

IMHO, in-game it would be look better. Using given animations in 3DS they often look very silly, with some manual calibration in 3DS you can improve their stances.

I think you are still living mentally in 2017 AD Gaïten xd

Anyways, below some pictures of Camel Cataphracts:

Last edited by Rampante-Cid; February 01, 2018 at 07:12 AM.

Thanks for the pictures! In the first picture the camel - handsome!

Clibanarii of Hatra. AOR unit.
    Last edited by Abdülmecid I; February 04, 2018 at 04:03 AM. Reason: Consecutive posts merged.

Clibanarii of Hatra. AOR unit.
    Oustanding models! A little tribute to the ancient kingdom of Araba and its marvelous statues, many of which were destroyed by the pieces of of Daesh in 2015. So, from my point of view, this is at least one way to remember them and show that Daesh hadn't achieved to dimisnish our fascination from that mighty kingdom, in spite their barbarian efforts to delete the legacy of the kings and the people of Hatra. Great work Asterion!

Besides, here a link to a study titles "The Weapons of Hatra as Refelection of Interregional Contacts" in which maybe you can find inspiration for another units : https://www.academia.edu/4434812/Win...ional_contacts

Also, below I have posted some pictures of noble cavalrymen and a spearman from Hatra:

And a drawing from a king of Hatra:

On other hand, you will post pictures of the rest of units that appear in the army from the pic?
    Last edited by Rampante-Cid; February 02, 2018 at 11:43 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast