Thread: AAR

Default AAR

First of all, thank you everyone involved with creating this wonderful mod! It's quite an experience and full of flavour. Just lovely. Playing as the Roman Empire.

Secondly, at the risk of being wrong from having played too little, it seems the units available outside one's faction's core areas are too restricted. I've tried various Rome and Medieval II mods, and some of the best ones have also a serious Achilles heel: Inability to recruit sufficient numbers of different units at a distance from your homeland. There are not even basic levy troops available from what I've seen so far once one goes outside one's own AAR.

On this note I have some questions, and some proposals in case they are not already in place:

Does many more units become available in outlying regions the more the city/castle and its military infrastructure is upgraded?

Are we locked with a bare few units to recruit in these outlying regions?

Would you please consider adding more levy units to outlying regions? Not faction elites, just rank and file common units.

Would you please consider adding more mercenaries to regions?

Is it somehow possible to upgrade a settlement to become part of one's homeland/AAR for faction units? No matter how expensive or high-tier, I'd like to know this.

At a certain distance, the game turns into a grindfest and logistical tug of war when fighting against larger empires. Generalship and ambushing can only go so far, and beyond this point it's all a matter of who can shovel in sufficient reinforcements to keep up momentum. It's possible to defend one's holdings by constantly rotating units for retraining and frontline duty, but because the enemy does something similar with his empire's recruitment and march-up of armies, one rarely gets to push forward. Eventually, one may win such a great victory and have sufficiently intact armies left to march on their closest province and take it by storm. And here the Achilles heel comes into play, because the newly conquered province could have become the new frontline had it had even a mere 3 different units recruitable, but with only 1 or no unit available at all, the damaged army holding the city becomes a sitting duck for the next enemy stacks marching up. Pedalling water.

If this mod is done, then that's fine, but if any developer is still active and would like to polish things, then my suggestions are to look into what is available for each faction outside their homelands.

Thank you
    Last edited by Karak Norn Clansman; January 27, 2018 at 10:37 AM.

Default Re: AAR

I'd recommend looking at some of the submod for Broken Crescent while no single one fulfils everything that you desire many get close.
    Buff and Shine: Submod for Broken Crescent - New Factions, New Mechanics and more. http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...tment-and-more

Default Re: AAR

The area of recruitment system (AOR) is the main feature of this mod, outside the unique setting. It is a large part of the game's difficulty and to remove it is equivalent to making the game too easy for many players, at least from a military and strategic viewpoint. There have been complaints by new players ever since the mod came out around 2009 but in the end the AOR has endured and you can get to appreciate the value it adds by getting used to the game.

Other than that, as the game progresses (BC version 2.4) elite barracks become available in the conquered provinces, from which you can get a couple of elite units.

The basic militia units are admittedly worthless, whether in your core regions or outside. These are there just to provide public order, nothing more. They do not matter. Personally I do not recruit them at all, if I can. But as I said, you will be able to get some elite units out in your provinces later in the game. There is also the possibility of recruiting ghulams from slave barracks. That should give you plenty. You will be more worried about finding the money to recruit these units than anything else.

As for the mercenaries, some units were removed from the mercenary pool around BC 2-2.3 and in my opinion this causes problems also for the AI not just for the human player. I have not found yet the rationale for why they were removed.

Another issue is the difficulty levels, which somewhat touches upon your experience. There are presently no difficulty levels in the base mod, BC 2.4.2. They are only different in name. In practice the differences between levels are imperceptible. This means that a new player is already confronted with a very difficult game. This was a problem that has been talked about over time and there have been now and then submods fixing that but the base game still suffers from this. I think we are all agreed this should be addressed. In the meantime, check Weekend General's submod Buff and Shine. Although it has a very different feel from the base game, it changes all these things in some way or another and is based on the 2.4 version so it has all the factions (and more). If you are willing to wait a few weeks, I will be addressing some of your issues in a submod that does not change the essential mechanics of the mod (the AOR system, building system, campaign AI and campaign script).