Thread: Skirmish Mode makes the unit completely unresponsive to commands while enemy is near?

Icon5 Skirmish Mode makes the unit completely unresponsive to commands while enemy is near?

Just for the record i am having this issue both with and without mods.

Since the Tomb Kings patch when i put my ranged units on Skirmish Mode and any enemy approaches them they become completely unresponsive to my commands.

I would order my units (with skirmish on) to move towards a specific location but half a second later my command would be erased (path arrow on the ground) simply because there is an enemy unit nearby.
    <b class="Bold">
    That enemy unit does not even have to be attacking my skirmishers or even doing anything.</b>
    Just the presence of an enemy unit within "skirmish retreat" range will cause my skirmish units to constantly override any command i give them with their "walk 3 steps away" skirmish AI.

Most absurd is when i wanted my ranged cavalry to run past the enemy infantry and then shoot from behind.
    However 1 out of 3 of my cavalry archer units passed too close to the enemy infantry and so the "skirmish runaway" ai triggered, so that cavalry archer squad started ignoring my commands and insisted running away from enemy infantry that was not even looking at them.<b class="Bold">

The only way to fix this is to turn off Skirmish Mode and manually repeat your order to the archer unit.
    As long as skirmish mode is on and "triggered" the ranged unit is completely unresponsive to your commands since the skirmish AI is constantly overriding your commands.</b>

I honestly would think that a DIRECT command from me would be higher priority than the Skirmish Mode movement ai.
    I am pretty sure this is not how it worked before, since i never remember my ranged skirmish units flat out refusing any command simply because an enemy is somewhere nearby.

Default Re: Skirmish Mode makes the unit completely unresponsive to commands while enemy is near?

This is precisely why I keep skirmish off all the time now. I've even had units "run away" directly into an oncoming enemy with skirmish on and I couldn't tell them to turn around.

LestaT's Avatar Artifex

Default Re: Skirmish Mode makes the unit completely unresponsive to commands while enemy is near?

Skirmish mode is for those units that you dont want to micro. If you need to micro then disable the mode.

King Athelstan's Avatar The Wheel Weaves
    Blog Entries

I've experienced this too, and I solve it by keeping my archer chariots and archer horsemen on, and just run around the map keeping some enemy units occupied, and having my foot archers off skirmish mode and place them behind my line when combat starts. If I see my cav getting into a tight spot, I'll turn off skirmish mode and have them run to freedom, instead of being pressured into a corner by the autorun
    Proudly under the patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader
    Proud patron of 4zumi, Akar, CommodusIV ,Swaeft
    and Peaman

Steph's Avatar Maréchal de France
    Patrician Artifex

Same here. Skirmish off most of the time. Put it on only when I don't want to follow them.