Page 6 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: AD: Bugs Thread

Default Re: AD 0.92 - Bugs, suggestions and discussion thread

Time for an update:

1144: There have been almost no wars. Currently, Spain and al-Murabitun are toying with one another in Iberia.

Byzantine vs al-Murabitun and the Seljuks has been going on since the jihad, around 100 turns, without a single battle being fought.

Venice, having never taken another territory, has defended its homeland with only its Doge and at best one more unit. The faction heir and a large stack have been sitting in the Istria peninsula the entire game pacing. I had spotted about 15 princesses waiting to speak to the Doge, so I sent an assassin that way to skill up. After a death or two, the princesses fled away, so, I took out the Doge and his son. Needless to say, the richest faction in the game, who sat idly up to this point in the game, was just eliminated.

This may turn out to be a grievous error on my part. HRE is but two territories away from winning, WITHOUT ever going to war, and of course Venice is near to him. Maybe the Pope will take Venice instead.

The Russians, besides not having taken a single spot, are now trapped between two huge forces. To the west, the Lithuanian uprising. To the east, the Kipchak invasion.
    Last edited by Treesmasha; January 16, 2007 at 11:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Treesmasha View Post
    Venice, having never taken another territory, has defended its homeland with only its Doge and at best one more unit. The faction heir and a large stack have been sitting in the Istria peninsula the entire game pacing. I had spotted about 15 princesses waiting to speak to the Doge, so I sent an assassin that way to skill up. After a death or two, the princesses fled away, so, I took out the Doge and his son. Needless to say, the richest faction in the game, who sat idly up to this point in the game, was just eliminated.
    Venice is not supposed to take much territories. It usually takes a couple later in the game.
    Nice tactic you used with them but sooner or later I'll put into resurgent factions if theyr main region is rebel.

I understand the desire for Venice to not take many territories. But he should at least defend the one he has with a strong force even if that would not help against an assassin.

I am still finding that the AI does not defend his cities well. And the scripted increase to the army defending a sieged city some/all of the time is somewhat ... not enjoyable. Could you explain the mechanics of how/when this occurs in game?

Question: does gaining a new territory via bribery count as an aggressive action for global faction purposes? It seemed to, but I could be wrong. If it does, may be it should not. It is a completely peaceful way to take a territory. It might also open up some other options to Venice as well.

make the game wee bit faster like half a speed of blitzkreig in ww2 for small faction such as poles , hungary , venice, milan ,portugal and spain whilst slow down hre way too big on some campaign

1250 as Scots, all good so far

In my campaign, there is a Spanish army stuck in the crossing at the Straits of Gibraltar. He has not moved in many years, does not seem to be attackable by his enemies the Moors, and he blocks progress on land across the Straits.

In an unrelated item, the Moors keep collecting 3 or 4 full stack armies near Murrakush for no apparent reason. They are not built there, at least not in full. They are moved there, sit for several turns, and then possibly go off to war with Spain. However, prior to moving off to war, the Moors may allow a Spanish army to cross the length of its north African domain without a battle.

Unable to build watchtowers in Tarabulus. Given the size of this territory and its slow movement rate, watchtowers are critical to controlling rebels and seeing invasions.

♔ST0MPA♔'s Avatar Ordinarius

Default Re: AD 0.92 - new versions announcement - bug fixes

Hi I wonder if some one can help. I have AD92 and it runs great, ai building forts on borders too. There is a glitch that when playing as spain the town burgos dosent show any roads when you build them, please help
    "Yeah tho I walk through the valley of the shadow of death; I shall fear no evil... for I'm the meanest sonofa in the valley."

Default Re: AD 0.92 - new versions announcement - bug fixes

Quote Originally Posted by ST0MPA View Post
    There is a glitch that when playing as spain the town burgos dosent show any roads when you build them, please help
    Fixed in the next version. Thanks for pointing it out.

Tidbits from the front or diaries of a madman.

Lyon blocks the movement of diplomats.
    North spice resource in Constantinople is hidden in the forest.
    East slave resource in Dongola becomes partially hidden as the town grows into larger forms.
    A 4 man army has been stuck in the Gibraltar crossing for some 50 plus turns preventing all crossings.

It is presently 1184.

In 1183 I saw the first AI assassin. I have yet to see an AI spy.

In 1184 I had my first CTD. I replayed the end of turn and it went away.

It seems that the AI players have no compunction about making alliances across religious lines.

In the 208 turns of my game, there have been exactly TWO territories captured by the AI player from another AI player by siege. And one more captured that was unoccupied. There have been less than 10 AI battles in the open.

There have been next to zero wars declared by the AI. Those that were declared were of the nature of lay siege, next turn abandon the siege, never fight again.

Some empires have grown a little or shrunk a little. In either case due to cities rebelling, and from my experience, I would guess due to the death of the governor.

No diplomat from any AI country has ever visited me any where on the map.

With the exception of one war declared against me, all other wars ended either the same turn or the next turn as soon as I asked for a cease fire. The one war that did not, the aggressor country never actually attacked me (war declared via a single turn port blockade).

At one point I declared a jihad against Milan just to stir up some trouble and see what the Moors and the Turks would do (yes, I am the faithful Egyptian player).

The Moorish army got blocked at the Gibraltar crossing by the 4 man Spainish army that is stuck there. They have never built a ship. When they got down to 2 territories (Timbuktu lost to rebellion early in game. Murrakush lost to the Spainish when the faction heir and only defender fled the city), I decided to eliminate them via assassinations.

The Turks sent 2 full-stack jihad armies towards Milan. Even though the Byzantine were technically at war with the Turks, the Turkish armies passed unmolested through all of the Byzantine territories. When the Turks arrived at Milan they decided to mill around outside the city. The Milanese brought in re-enforcements. I was prepared to watch some fun. The re-enforcements ... left. Milan has but a single defender to the Turks 2 full armies. The Turks decide to wait ... and wait ... and wait. After about 10 years. The Turks and the Milanese declare a cease fire without ever having fought a battle. The 2 Turkish armies still sit outside Milan AND they are still flagged as jihadist.

Russia and Poland have never taken nor even invaded another territory.

Portugal did not take Lisboa until after France had captured it during a crusade and then lost it to rebellion even though Portugal had a large army next door at the time of the crusade. In fact, Portugal did not join the crusade at all.

Hungary advanced to the Adriatic capturing lesser faction territories. It soon lost them to rebellion and has never attempted to go back.

The Turks continue to defend their northern frontier from the Kipchak invasion. Neither side has fought a single battle. So, there is a large cluster of troops there staring each other down.

Present standings (nation, territories, net change):
    Holy Roman Empire 24 -3
    Turkey 18 +3
    Egypt 17 +14
    Byzantium 16 +1
    England 14 +5
    France 11 -2
    Spain 10 +6
    Denmark 7 +4
    The Papal States 6 +5
    Scicily 5 +1
    Portugal 4 +2
    Hungary 4 -1
    Scotland 3 +1
    Poland 3 +0
    Milan 3 +0

Of the 14 territories I have gained:
    9 were taken from rebels/lesser factions
    1 was taken from an AI player on a Turkish jihad
    1 was purchased from rebels/lesser factions
    1 was gained through a cease fire agreement
    1 was purchased from an AI player
    1 was taken from rebels/lesser faction on a jihad I called

My own conclusion from my experiences is that presently this is the most passive AI we have tested for AD yet.

About 80% of what you described is working as it was intented.

The major bug is that none has attacked and wipped your ass having conquered 14 provinces in about 100 years. I presume your global reputation should be monstruosly bad and you're lucky some of the nastiest script aren't implemented still.

About the AI being passive the main concept of the mod is not to conquer the world in 100 years. About 20 provinces shifted ownership and I think in 100 years it's a huge modification. So the AI is programmed to expand little by little depending on the starting size of the faction. Really, the only bug/incomplete feature is you, player faction, not being punished for the overaggressive behaviour.

A jihad called on a city deep in enemy territory is not the best strategical move, problem is that the AI realized it when it was already there and then it fall on the CA bug which freezes jihad/crusade armies in foreign territory (hopefully it'll be solved by a patch in future as there's a lot of posts about it in the official forums). On the other note the AI is programmed to behave in a logical way, if you have more troops on the front it asks for a ceasefire so it can recreate its armies, take in count that 1 turn is 6 months not 1 day and ceasefires were all that common in middle age. They now have a different meaning usually leading to peace, once they were usually settled for the winter time, or with some payment of tribute, etc.

billydilly's Avatar Senator

Has anyone mentioned the fact that you cant get past Lund because of the city and a forest?
    CPU: Intel i7-8700. GPU: MSI GTX 1070 Armor 8G. RAM: Corsair Vengance, 16Gb HD: Kingston SSD 240Gb (System), Samsung 850 Evo SSD 500Gb (Steam), Western Digital 500Gb. PSU: Corsair CX600W

Quote Originally Posted by billydilly View Post
    Has anyone mentioned the fact that you cant get past Lund because of the city and a forest?
    Nope, but I already found it playing as denmark and it is fixed in the next version, thank for pointing it out though.

Reputation has gone as low as deceitful but is presently dubious. After I finish taking over Faz and Arguin, I will be settling into a peaceful mode, providing the AI permits this.

Question Re Berengario I, how can I set the system to auto play all factions so I can run an observation game as well?
    Last edited by Treesmasha; January 21, 2007 at 04:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Treesmasha View Post
    Reputation has gone as low as deceitful but is presently dubious. After I finish taking over Faz and Arguin, I will be settling into a peaceful mode, providing the AI permits this.

Question Re Berengario I, how can I set the system to auto play all factions so I can run an observation game as well?
    Autoplay increases CTDs, don't know why even if I suspect is because a faction in autoplay is not really AI for some scripts and so things goes BOOM.

I'm currently write some nice scripts for the overaggressive factions so they will have their hands plenty with battles

Update on the watchtower building issues. I did some forum searching and apparently there is a bug going back to RTW that after a territory has a flood, possibly other disasters, the territory is no long able to build watchtowers and it's movement rate is reduced (something I had also mentioned).

Honestly, I am not playing a "fast" game other than snatching up the lesser factions between myself and the Seljuks early. And I am truly avoiding conflict with my neighbors.

On the other hand, my assassins are playing havoc with HRE as I test out disrupting central Europe.

Assassins really need to be toned down as they're too much ahistorical and exploitable.

I know some of you won't like it but I prefer to see a faction destroyed on the battlefield and not by some pumped-up-through-powergaming assassin.

Assassins should be used 99% of times to kill members of your own faction, this would be historical.

When Philip I of France wanted to kick Pope Bonifacio VIII bottom he send one roman noble knight, Sciarra Colonna, to slap him in the face, backed by troops. Not a silly ninja like assassin.

Btw, I think I'll add some prebuilt watchtowers in version 1.0. I'd wish to add forts too but AI won't keep them garrisoned
    Last edited by Re Berengario I; January 21, 2007 at 06:22 PM.

I tend to agree that assassin can become to powerful. Maybe you should build in a unit limit like merchants have. But even one assassin if quite capable of eliminating a faction that is down to 3 or so generals over a few short years.

Another option is to increase either the availability of the AI to build spies/assassins to use as protectors. Or, to general increase the traits that lead to personal protection.

RE BE pls pls pls put the watchtowers in v 1.00 like the ones in RTW

It seems as if most misses by an assassin on a general inside a city result in a plus FIVE INCREASE to skill. This was not so in previous versions or vanilla. Just an FYI.