Thread: Villa of the Artorii Casti

Barry Goldwater's Avatar Mr. Conservative

Default Villa of the Artorii Casti

The British branch of the gens Artoria mainly reside in their villa outside of Camulodunum: a fairly austere complex as far as aristocratic villas go with polished but largely unadorned halls, a chapel that has replaced the old family lararium since the days of Constantine the Great, and mosaics and frescoes depicting Christian pictograms such as the icthys and Lamb of God.

Constantius Artorius Castus

Ethnicity: Romano-British
    Religion: Nicene Christianity (-1 to unrest rolls)
    Marital Status: Married to Nona (34)

Traits (6 points):
    +2 Battles
    +2 Personal Combat
    +1 Wealth (5%)
    +1 Charisma

Temperaments:

Sanguine:
    - Confident: This character is very self-assured, brimming with confidence and difficult to shake even under pressure. However, taken to an extreme, they can show a suicidal disregard for their life and the lives of others, and fail to take...well, failure into account when planning. +1 battle rolls, +1 to rout rolls against this character.
    - Upbeat: Nothing seems to get this character down. They're perpetually smiling and looking on the bright side of even the darkest developments, truly the kind of optimism that can be infectious...or delusional, if the situation is bad enough. +1 to surviving non-battle death rolls, -1 to post-battle rolls (captivity, death, wounding).

Phlegmatic:
    - Austere: This character disdains pomp and pageantry, instead preferring a plain & simple (the uncharitable might say 'rigidly spartan') lifestyle. +5% income, -1 Charisma.

Other Artorii Casti
    Nona, Constantius' wife - age 34
    Felicitas Artoria Casta, Constantius and Nona's daughter - age 13
    Constantinus Artorius Castus, Constantius and Nona's son - age 12
    Paulus Artorius Castus, Constantius and Nona's son - age 10
    Serena Artoria Casta, Constantius and Nona's son - age 5

Aerarium
    Branch: Agriculture

Tier I: Basic
    Class A:
    Cost: 0
    Income: 2,750

Class B:
    Cost: 5,000
    Income: 5,000

Class C:
    Cost: 7,500
    Income: 7,500

(Once Class A achieved, unlock bonus)
    Bonus: -10% recruitment costs

Tier II: Intermediate
    Class A:
    Cost: 10,000
    Income: 10,000

Class B:
    Cost: 15,000
    Income:15,000

Class C:
    Cost: 20,000
    Income: 17,000

(Once Class B achieved, unlock bonus)
    Bonus: -10% upkeep costs

Tier III: Advanced
    Class A:
    Cost: 25,000
    Income: 20,000

Class B:
    Cost: 30,000
    Income: 25,000

Class C:
    Cost: 35,000
    Income: 28,000

(Once Class C achieved, unlock bonus)
    Bonus: -3 to unrest rolls

Tier IV: Advanced Plus
    Class A:
    Cost: 40,000
    Income: 35,000

Class B:
    Cost: 45,000
    Income: 40,000

Class C:
    Cost: 50,000
    Income: 45,000

Lord William's Avatar Duke of Nottingham
    Citizen

Default Re: Villa of the Artorii Casti

Marcus Aurelius Draco arrives at the villa of Constantius Artorii Casti

Section Editor ES
    LibrarianLocal ModeratorCitizenCdeC
    Under the patronage of Jom • Patron of Riverknight & Stildawn

Draco is allowed into the villa of the Artorii, which was quite austere and lacking in non-Christian-themed decoration, per the owner's belief in Christian poverty and humility. Constantius awaits in the villa fructuaria's dining room, where lunch had been set out for himself, his family and his fellow Romano-Britonic guest: a meal of smoked eels, boiled crab, venison and mounds of assorted vegetables and fruits - the bounty of both land and sea, though precious little of expensive meat and a whole lot of 'humbler' sea animals. The new Magister Militum forthrightly welcomes Draco:

"Hail, Marcus Draco. I cannot say that I am familiar with you - have you served with the Britones Seniores in any capacity, or were you with another legion these past years, if any at all? - but, be welcome in my home all the same. What brings you here?"

Citizen

Marcus was pleasantly surprised walking through the Artorii villa noting the lacklustre of the estate, he was a rigid spartan disliking all extravagance and pompousness.

Hail Constantius Casti, Magister Militum

Marcus took a seat at the dining table after being asked to sit his eyes gazing upon the feast. The options were many and yet Marcus was keenly interested in the boiled crab, crab meat can sometimes be sweet and tasty.

I have served as a Legatus to Legio XX Valeria Victrix, I was stationed Deva defending the Hadrian Wall.

How about yourself?

Section Editor ES

"The Britones Seniores, as I said." Constantius answered as he opened a crab leg and dipped the meat in butter. One of the servants aided his youngest child in doing the same. "When we weren't on duty at the Saxon Shore, repelling pirates from the east by whatever name they use - Anglii, Iuti, Saxones, they're all the same - we accompanied the Emperor into battle on distant fronts. I have been as far as the sands of Persia, where Julian the Apostate fell."

Flavius Claudius Paulinus arrives at the villa of the Artorii Casti to request a meeting with the Magister Militium.

Citizen

Unfortunately I was unable to march east during the campaign as I was stationed in Deva, I had the responsibility of protecting our northern border but it would seem to my disadvantage. With the Emperor died I am now left with no command or appointment. I guess I could take this time to pursue personal matters, such as finding a wife? What do you recommend

Section Editor ES

Quote Originally Posted by Xion View Post
    Flavius Claudius Paulinus arrives at the villa of the Artorii Casti to request a meeting with the Magister Militium.
    He is shown into one of the pars urbana's offices, where Constantius awaits.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord William View Post
    Unfortunately I was unable to march east during the campaign as I was stationed in Deva, I had the responsibility of protecting our northern border but it would seem to my disadvantage. With the Emperor died I am now left with no command or appointment. I guess I could take this time to pursue personal matters, such as finding a wife? What do you recommend
    "Were you not among those who acclaimed Augustus Theodosius at Lausa?" Constantius asked. "But I digress. I have no recommendations to make in the regard of a wife, I'm afraid. I know of no other women of marriageable age in the circles I travel in, though one Fulvianus from Hispania has been named Comes Britanniae recently. He or his subordinates may have a woman of the right age and breeding for you in their own families." Constantius said as he cut up an eel, simply but in a suddenly firm tone. His gaze wandered to his daughters and then back to Draco, as if to say, My own girls are still too young. "Wherever you go, I wish you the best of luck in finding a spouse. The Lord did command us to grow fruitful and multiply, after all."

Flavius salutes Constantius as he enters. "Ave, Magister Militium. Congratulations on being awarded to the position." he says before taking a seat. "I did not wih to trouble you with this request, but the Pontine Islands seemingly lack even a single warship to patrol the surrounding seas with and that is something I would like to rectify, so I would humbly ask that a squadron of ships, perhaps from the classis Misenatium be assigned to the islands under my command so I may effectively patrol the waters for pirates and any other threats."

Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Goldwater View Post
    "Were you not among those who acclaimed Augustus Theodosius at Lausa?" Constantius asked. "But I digress. I have no recommendations to make in the regard of a wife, I'm afraid. I know of no other women of marriageable age in the circles I travel in, though one Fulvianus from Hispania has been named Comes Britanniae recently. He or his subordinates may have a woman of the right age and breeding for you in their own families." Constantius said as he cut up an eel, simply but in a suddenly firm tone. His gaze wandered to his daughters and then back to Draco, as if to say, My own girls are still too young. "Wherever you go, I wish you the best of luck in finding a spouse. The Lord did command us to grow fruitful and multiply, after all."
    I shall continue my search, perhaps in time God will find it fitting to bless me with a wife and children.

On another matter could you assist me in gaining an appointment? I am a christian of great birth, and a distinguished commander there must be some appointment for me
    Last edited by Lord William; January 25, 2018 at 12:18 PM.

Section Editor ES

Lucius Malfoy's Avatar Pure-Blood
    Citizen

One day, a Flavius Aigidius Honoratus comes to pay a visit to the Magister Militum, Constantius Artorius Castus. He pauses for a moment, noticing the Christian icon upon a chapel nearby. The reigning occupant of this office was not as zealous as Theodosius, from what he had heard, and it was doubtful that this man had been involved in the murder of his brother. Yet he still came hoping to gain a means to gain an office. The Gallo-Roman approaches a slave, asking where the Magister Militum was.
    Gaming Director for the Gaming Staff
    Gaming Director for the Play-by-Post Subforum and the RPG Shed

Quote Originally Posted by Xion View Post
    Flavius salutes Constantius as he enters. "Ave, Magister Militium. Congratulations on being awarded to the position." he says before taking a seat. "I did not wih to trouble you with this request, but the Pontine Islands seemingly lack even a single warship to patrol the surrounding seas with and that is something I would like to rectify, so I would humbly ask that a squadron of ships, perhaps from the classis Misenatium be assigned to the islands under my command so I may effectively patrol the waters for pirates and any other threats."
    "I shall have to look into it." Constantius answered, idly drumming his fingers on the table's surface. The navy had not been his highest priority to say the least, not with so many legions to worry about. "But I believe, once I've done so, that you may have your ships. I have heard of no troubles in the Mare Nostrum, so I imagine the Classis can spare one squadron."

OOC: Actually haven't finished the fleets yet, but I'll get back to you with an exact number of ships once I'm done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord William View Post
    I shall continue my search, perhaps in time God will find it fitting to bless me with a wife and children.

On another matter could you assist me in gaining an appointment? I am a christian of great birth, and a distinguished commander there must be some appointment for me
    Constantius raised an eyebrow. Great birth? He had never heard of Draco, and the only Marcus Aurelius he'd heard of was the great - though regrettably pagan - Emperor of old. But that was a digression he wasn't interested in embarking upon, not over a civil dinner anyway. "I can write to the Comes Britanniae, Fulvianus." He finally answered, after first clearing his throat even as he tore open a new crab leg. "He must surely have his hands full with Britannia's triple threats - Pictii to the north, Scotti to the west and Anglii, Iuti and Saxones over the sea to the east. Between them, I imagine he'll be able to find a place for you."
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucius Malfoy View Post
    One day, a Flavius Aigidius Honoratus comes to pay a visit to the Magister Militum, Constantius Artorius Castus. He pauses for a moment, noticing the Christian icon upon a chapel nearby. The reigning occupant of this office was not as zealous as Theodosius, from what he had heard, and it was doubtful that this man had been involved in the murder of his brother. Yet he still came hoping to gain a means to gain an office. The Gallo-Roman approaches a slave, asking where the Magister Militum was.
    Aigidius is shown into the villa without hassle, and would be guided to an office where Constantius awaited - the same office where he hosted Paulinus some months ago, to be exact.

Citizen

Aigidius is shown into the villa without hassle, and would be guided to an office where Constantius awaited - the same office where he hosted Paulinus some months ago, to be exact.
    Aigidius had never met the Romano-British Magister Militum. Only knew his ancestors had deep roots in Roman Britain. Like his deceased brother, the Gallo-Roman had spent years in the Roman military, retiring only after the death of Honoratus to tend to their family's estates in Caesarodunum. He had served within Lanciarii Gallicani Honoriani, compared to the legion Honoratus had spent years in. Given his background, Aigidius salutes the Magister Militum.

Magister Militum, thank you for letting me see you on such short notice. I hear you have been rather busy since your elevation, so I promise I won't take much of your time.

"Ave. I am indeed busy, but still I have the time to spare." Constantius said in reply. "I must express my condolences over your brother's passing. I supported his opponent at Lausa, obviously - else I doubt I would be Magister Militum right now - but in the short time that we knew and fought beside one another in the sands of Persia, he did not strike me as a malicious man." He continued, sincerely. He had his suspicions about Honoratus' sudden and unexplained death (who on earth simply drops dead in the presence of an emperor?), and he did not want to believe Theodosius was the sort of man who had it in him to ruthlessly butcher a defeated opponent, but alas even Artorius Castus wasn't under the illusion that even the best Emperors never committed (or felt they had to commit) dishonorable deeds to preserve their lives and thrones every now and then. It was the nature of earthly power, which was simultaneously blessed and accursed under God. "Now...what do you need of me?"

Citizen

Thank you for your condolences, Magister Militum... his wife, Severina, is still greatly mourning our loss.

Or rather, his wife to be. Severina still had connections within the area of their home and their father would have certainly desired to keep those connections. This would also allow Aigidius to control the education of his nephew and niece, least they fall under the spell of Arianism, which their mother, and her family, proudly practiced. Honoratus would have certainly seen to it that his offspring were raised in the traditional ways of their family.

Now, to the matter at hand.

I have come to offer my services, once more, to the Roman military and the empire. With matters settled at home, I know my brother would want me to serve Rome. I have experienced, I served close to ten years in Lanciarii Gallicani Honoriani. I would be bold to offer my services to such a high post, but the loyalty of the Gallic legions is needed more than ever. You and I both know this.

The Gallic legions helped give rise to Constantinius Magnus and Julian the Apostate. They defended the borders of the breakaway Gallic Empire during the Third Century Crisis. If anything, they were the most qualified defenders of the Empire and the most experienced legions within the western army. Their loyalty would certainly make or break any Emperor's reign.

And you need a native of Gaul, with time in those legions, to secure that loyalty and help lead them. So I offer myself to serve in the Roman military as an officer within Gaul, under your command and that of Flavius Theodosius Augustus.

May Fortuna favor the bold, thought Aigidius.

"You are correct." Constantius remarked as he folded his hands. "I had expected the Emperor to appoint a Magister Equitum per Galliae himself, but he has not done so. Per your qualifications, I can think of no better candidate than you for the role." That was true - the only other Gallo-Roman he knew of was Bonifatius, and that man had been assigned to the limes already. So, fair enough - pagan though he may be, Aigidius was literally the only man who seemed remotely qualified for the task of Magister Equitum that Constantius knew of, and it helped that he was a native son of Gaul as well. If the Emperor disapproved of his choice, well, Theodosius need only write to him and name an alternative anyway.

Citizen

Thank you, Magister Militum. The Gallic legions are essential to the military, their experience and veterancy unrivaled in the western army. With their loyalty, Theodosius will have a reign to rival that of Constantinius Magnus.

Aigidius saluted Constantius, grateful that his request was accepted. To be given such a high position as Magister Equitum per Galliae was not what he had in mind, but it was perfect. 'Supreme Commander' of all palatine and comital legions within Gaul as well as fifty-seven limitanei legions, and overall commander of five duxes and a comes position. The commanding authority over the diocese of Gaul, under the Magister Militum and the Emperor.

Are there any standing orders I should be aware of, Magister Militum?

A thought ran across his mind as Aigidius awaited word. I will avenge you with this authority, Honoratus.. I swear it, brother.

"Yes. Reports from the limes indicate that the Alamanni are intensifying in activity. There is good reason to believe they may strike at the Diocesis Galliae sooner rather than later." Constantius said, suddenly grim. "The Emperor naturally believes we must counter them, and if we can fight them on their own soil before they despoil ours - before they despoil yours, because naturally Galliae is where they will strike first - the better. I would recommend amassing your legions in one place, to support their Italian counterparts when we inevitably march north to keep these barbarians at bay."

Citizen

A suggestion, it would wise to bring some legions from Septem Provinciae to add to our strength then. Certainly the Herculiani Seniores and Joviani Seniores would want to serve their Emperor on the battlefield.

Two senior legions that existed since the time of Diocletian. Such legions appearing on the battlefield would inspire the other legions to fight with great inspiration.

Naturally though, Flavia Victrix Constantina will lead the charge against the Alamanni.

The celebrated legion, named after the Neo-Flavian, or Constantinian dynasty, would be proud to lead their fellow Gallo-Romans against the Alamanni.

Where is the gathering point of these legions, Magister Militum?
    Last edited by Lucius Malfoy; January 25, 2018 at 10:32 PM.

"I shall have to look into it." Constantius answered, idly drumming his fingers on the table's surface. The navy had not been his highest priority to say the least, not with so many legions to worry about. "But I believe, once I've done so, that you may have your ships. I have heard of no troubles in the Mare Nostrum, so I imagine the Classis can spare one squadron."

OOC: Actually haven't finished the fleets yet, but I'll get back to you with an exact number of ships once I'm done.
    "Thank you." Paulinus pauses for a a moment. "Only troubles I know of would be the Saxones raiders in the Mare Gallicum, and maybe some of the other tribes attempting to raid across the Somme or another major river. Hopefully this squadron patrolling the sea around the islands will help ensure the safe arrival of the grain supply from Sicilia and Africa."