Thread: LtC Campaign Getting Dull, New Faction?

Default LtC Campaign Getting Dull, New Faction?

I've been playing a campaign with the Lands to Conquer mod (excellent mod, very fun) as the moors, and, I've fought a near full stack army and beaten it at the gates with nothing but spearmen, defended around 20 sieges using 'safe' sallies with my AWESOME Desert Cavalry, and the game is pretty fun, but I'm ALWAYS out of money, as I can't have any trade agreements, and the game now has gotten a bit repetitive (big army attacks me, they let me pick them apart one by one, and when they attack, in earnest in a siege assault, I decimate them with spearmen while I devastate their flanks with mounted javelin wielders.

I'm looking for a new faction where I the start is a bit easier, preferably with late-blooming unit rosters to balance it out, without too many enemies surrounding me. I love the awesome power of the Moors javelins, but I don't like how weak they are in close combat. If anyone could help me, I'd appreciate it.

My ideas right now are:

Russia
    Egypt
    Continuing with Moors

However I'll accept just about any idea you throw at me. Thank-you for your time.

Default Re: LtC Campaign Getting Dull, New Faction?

You could play as the Spanish. They have excellent end-game units although they lack infantry in the early period. However, you can probably get by with your Jinetes, Generals, and some Mailed Knights.

As for the Russians, they are in a good position, but the territory is so vast that you'll be constantly fighting off rebels. Money can also be tight in the early game (although I didn't have too much problem with it...merchants saved me).

If you want to play a non-catholic faction I would suggest the Turks. The biggest threat that they have to deal with would be the Mongol and Timurid invasions, but they have an excellent unit roster as well in both early and late game. Early game units would be comprised of horse archers but by the time the Timurds come rolling around, you will have plenty of Janissaries (heavy infantry, musketeers, archers) to deal with them.

I don't really like the Egyptians too much mainly because they are stagnate in the late period (which is pretty historically accurate). Their Mamluk units are excellent, but lack the staying power in the gunpowder era against a "contemporary" army.

What are the main differences between Spain and Portugal, all things included.

I'm thinking of trying the Scotts or the Sicilians, does anyone have any suggestions as to which to go with?

Difference between Spain and Portugal comes down to Spain having better melee infantry (Sword and Buckler), and one having better guns (Portuguese Arbs > all) and increased compacity for naval use.

If it's the scots or the sicilians, it comes down to how long of a game you want yourself playing.

Scots have no gunpowder units, but their mid game units are quite fun (Noble Archers + Pikes = lol french). Sicily thrives later in the game, like most of the italian factions.
    Last edited by IrishNinja; January 06, 2007 at 07:56 AM.