Page 7 of 31 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Skin colour controversy and acting

Kyriakos's Avatar Praeses

Default Re: Skin colour controversy and acting

Quote Originally Posted by Mithradates View Post
    The funny thing about this (in a sad way) that this will achieve the exact opposite effect than what you are hoping for.
    Yes, that much should be obvious.
    As it should be obvious that this wasn't done by some actual wish of the bbc to help minorities. Any person would identify as much by now, due to the pile of tell-tale information:
    -no major production about black culture (cause not losing money is more important to the bbc than helping promote black culture)
    -no research on the source material (cause otherwise they could use black actors for Memnon and make others tied to him)
    -no thought of using med actors, cause why bother
    -marketed the series on trolling, and it took them two years to get to present so poor a product.

By all means, though, some people (hopefully very few) still just focus on "Affirmative action!" as a supposedly redeeming factor; as if even that hasn't been logically argued to not be what is happening.
    Λέων μεν ὄνυξι κρατεῖ, κέρασι δε βούς, ἄνθρωπος δε νῷι
    "While the lion prevails with its claws, and the ox through its horns, man does by his thinking"
    Anaxagoras of Klazomenae, 5th century BC

I'm finding the outrage in this thread from the Alt-Right nutters & Greek Nationalists really funny. You do all realise the the Iliad was fictional and not real? Right? Surely you know that?

Now, imagine losing your mind over an actor's ethnicity in a fictional drama series. Funny right!

I'm assuming all the people who are wailing and gnashing their teeth over this have registered similar outrage over every portrayal of Jesus as a white, caucasian man...

Quote Originally Posted by TheLeft View Post
    I'm finding the outrage in this thread from the Alt-Right nutters & Greek Nationalists really funny. You do all realise the the Iliad was fictional and not real? Right? Surely you know that?

Now, imagine losing your mind over an actor's ethnicity in a fictional drama series. Funny right!

I'm assuming all the people who are wailing and gnashing their teeth over this have registered similar outrage over every portrayal of Jesus as a white, caucasian man...
    You are seeing things in a collective guilt kind of way. A bit nazi-like, ironically. Why should i care about what studios do while presenting Jesus, and why should that keep me from noting how stupid using a black actor as Achilles is? There is no primordial sin, m8.
    "While the lion prevails with its claws, and the ox through its horns, man does by his thinking"

mishkin's Avatar Dux Limitis
    Blog Entries

Why do you care about a black actor playing Achilles?

Nobody cared that a Japanese adopted Shakespeare plays.
    Nobody cared about a black Lysistrata.
    Nobody cared about a kind of iliada set in the twenties in the United States.
    Nobody cared about a Russian Lady Macbeth.
    Nobody cared about a woman as Bob Dylan.
    Nobody cares about the amount of barbarities that have been done with hamlet, romeo and juliette and so many other characters in the last few years. Not to mention the operas.

A black actor in a series of adventures of the bbc embodying a character that we had preconceived as a white man: The horror. Cringy AF.

Next complaint: Helena is not hot enough!
    Last edited by mishkin; January 29, 2018 at 05:22 AM.

I don't think we are communicating, Mishkin. You are free to think it is due to myself, but my own impression certainly is something else. Thankfully, posting on a web forum doesn't dictate what will happen, which rather glaringly is the fiasco this series is to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyriakos View Post
    You are seeing things in a collective guilt kind of way. A bit nazi-like, ironically. Why should i care about what studios do while presenting Jesus, and why should that keep me from noting how stupid using a black actor as Achilles is? There is no primordial sin, m8.
    Achilles was a fictional character in a fictional drama. Fictional, as in not real, invented, imaginary, imagined, made up, make-believe, unreal, fabricated, or concocted. I could go on but I suspect you get the point. Seeing as the character of Achilles was made up, it is utterly daft to get so worked up about the actor's ethnicity. You surely cannot bang on about 'historical accuracy' in a tale containing God's and monsters.

And I think we all know exactly why you don't care about the portryal of Jesus as a white man, and care so passionately about a black man in the Iliad...

Achilles was a fictional character in a fictional drama. Fictional, as in not real, invented, imaginary, imagined, made up, make-believe, unreal, fabricated, or concocted. I could go on but I suspect you get the point. Seeing as the character of Achilles was made up, it is utterly daft to get so worked up about the actor's ethnicity. You surely cannot bang on about 'historical accuracy' in a tale containing God's and monsters.

And I think we all know exactly why you don't care about the portryal of Jesus as a white man, and care so passionately about a black man in the Iliad...
    Of course you do know; in the same way you know my line of work, uni studies, personal creations and the rest.

Blog Entries

I don't think we are communicating, Mishkin. You are free to think it is due to myself, but my own impression certainly is something else.
    Yes, I think it's your fault. Your repeated refusal to answer clearly to simple questions (reread the last pages if you want).

Mithradates's Avatar Domesticus

Achilles was a fictional character in a fictional drama. Fictional, as in not real, invented, imaginary, imagined, made up, make-believe, unreal, fabricated, or concocted. I could go on but I suspect you get the point. Seeing as the character of Achilles was made up, it is utterly daft to get so worked up about the actor's ethnicity.
    IIRC both the character and the drama are Greek? Even if its fiction, its still Greek fiction.

IIRC both the character and the drama are Greek? Even if its fiction, its still Greek fiction.
    Yes, it's a fictional tale, parts of which are set in Greece. Well done. Did you come up with that razor sharp piece of literary analysis yourself?

Aexodus's Avatar Persuasion>Coercion
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mishkin View Post
    If not for the connotations this would be as stupid (cringy) as arguing if an actor is too tall or too low, too much or too little muscled, too young or too old, etc.

Unfortunately some people still see the skin tone as a factor to be taken into account and as something intrinsic to certain cultures: Interestingly, someone has mentioned that the actor should be Greek, assuming that there are no Greek black people/actors.
    If considering some people to have the wrong physical features for a film is taboo, then how come this guy has a job at all.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    Patronised by Pontifex Maximus
    Quote Originally Posted by Himster View Post
    The trick is to never be honest. That's what this social phenomenon is engineering: publicly conform, or else.

OK, let's turn this argument around on its head. Can those people claiming that it's an outrage and crime against humanity that Achilles be portrayed by a black man actually know he wasn't black?? Did Homer expressly confirm that Achilles looked like Brad Pitt? After all, the mother of Achilles was an immortal Sea-Nymph called Thetis. Can the ethnicity of a Sea-Nymph be proven? How do you know that Thetis wasn't black herself?

Diocle's Avatar Comes Limitis

Quote Originally Posted by mishkin View Post
    If not for the connotations this would be as stupid (cringy) as arguing if an actor is too tall or too low, too much or too little muscled, too young or too old, etc.

Unfortunately some people still see the skin tone as a factor to be taken into account and as something intrinsic to certain cultures: Interestingly, someone has mentioned that the actor should be Greek, assuming that there are no Greek black people/actors.

The attitudes shown in this discussion are a good reason to continue accepting black actors representing characters assumed as white. This is how the day will come when no one will see as scandalous, an insult to their culture (?) and history (god, we are not even talking about a documentary) that a black actor plays Achilles. (A mythological character, by the way).
    It's not stupid it's normal. Do you know the concepts of normal and imbecile in life?

In other words, it's imbecile if a eighty years old Ian McKellen plays the role of Harry Potter in a movie; it's imbecile if a man like Arnold Schwarzenegger is used to act as Cinderella in a movie about Grimm's Fairy Tales; it would be imbecile if an old woman like Meryl Streep plays as Peter Pan, as it's imbecile if you use an African balck skinned man to act as Achilles, or Brad Pitt to play the role of Nelson Mandela, or Caleb Reginald McLaughlin in the role of Oliver Cromwell in a movie about ECW; all this would be an imbecile choice.

Is it now clear the point about imbecility my dear?

I ask because in this discussion the concept of "Imbecility" is fundamental. Imbecility in fact is today used as the primary quality in selectiing the political personnel of the globalist Left. Indeed I think that today, imbecility is the key word and the cornerstone, better: the architrave, supporting the leftist idiocracy, or the global empire of imbeciles, well represented by the afro american muslim Hussein Obama and his idiocractic regime (now finally ended).

Blog Entries

You are excellent at showing extreme examples, nothing to do with the skin tone (excessive pigmentation, intolerable!) of an actor. Anyway, if a studio wants to spend money on a recreation of snow white in which the protagonist is Samuel L. jackson, let them. You will not see me showing outrage on the internet, screaming "sacrilege".

Yes, it's a fictional tale, parts of which are set in Greece. Well done. Did you come up with that razor sharp piece of literary analysis yourself?
    Well, its still not sharp enough if you still cant understand why people expect that a Greek hero should look like a Greek hero.

Well, its still not sharp enough if you still cant understand why people expect that a Greek hero should look like a Greek hero.
    And what does a Greek hero look like? Were/are all Greeks exclusively white with blue eyes and blonde hair? Can you confirm that there was no immigraton from Africa during that period? As I said earlier, the mother of Achilles was an immortal Sea-Nymph called Thetis. Can the ethnicity of a Sea-Nymph be proven? How do you know that Thetis wasn't black herself?

OK, let's turn this argument around on its head. Can those people claiming that it's an outrage and crime against humanity that Achilles be portrayed by a black man actually know he wasn't black?? Did Homer expressly confirm that Achilles looked like Brad Pitt? After all, the mother of Achilles was an immortal Sea-Nymph called Thetis. Can the ethnicity of a Sea-Nymph be proven? How do you know that Thetis wasn't black herself?
    Nice of you to walk right into that one, given Homer describes Achilles as fair and blond. In classical (and later hellenistic) era he is compared to Alexander (similar) and Pyrros (red-haired).

There are also roughly 1 million drawings, frescoes and pottery art, depicting Achilles, given he was sort of important to greek culture. Spoiler alert:he isn't depicted as black. There are also the narrations in other works of art, alluding to the Iliad.

Your point about black people migrating and ending up as a noble in the archaic era is just funny, though. Right. You should learn that even granting citizenship to other greek people (from another polis) wasn't easy, in the classical era - let alone granting noble status to flying sub-saharan immigrants you imagine, in the archaic era!
    Last edited by Kyriakos; January 29, 2018 at 07:46 AM.

Yep, Im sure they would have mentioned in the Iliad if either Achilles or Thetis didnt look Greek.
    Greek as a "Greek mythological hero", someone looking obviously European. Thats how the ancient Greeks pictured them, so thats how we picture them too.

Nice of you to walk right into that one, given Homer describes Achilles as fair and blond. In classical (and later hellenistic) era he is compared to Alexander (similar) and Pyrros (red-haired).

There are also roughly 1 million drawings, frescoes and pottery art, depicting Achilles, given he was sort of important to greek culture. Spoiler alert:he isn't depicted as black. There are also the narrations in other works of art, alluding to the Iliad.

Your point about black people migrating and ending up as a noble in the archaic era is just funny, though. Right. You should learn that even granting citizenship to other greek people (from another polis) wasn't easy, in the classical era - let alone granting noble status to flying sub-saharan immigrants you imagine, in the archaic era!
    Is this not fair and blonde?

So if according to our Alt-Right friends, everything in all forms of literature has to be ethnically correct, so I'm assuming you're all busy burning and getting just as outraged at all the film adaptations of Jesus being played by numerous white guys? John Wayne being Genghis Khan must really annoy you all? Of course it doesn't. It only winds you all up when it's a black guy...

This thread is just pure race baiting, nothing more.
    Last edited by TheLeft; January 29, 2018 at 08:09 AM.

Derpy Hooves's Avatar Bombs for Muffins
    My flagship, the Litany of Truth, spreading DESPAIR across the galaxy

Jesus is from the Middle East right? Have you seen pictures of Assad? He looks white to me. There are plenty of Middle Easterners who are white.
    As for John Wayne playing Genghis Khan, not only was that movie from before the Civil Rights Act, but it’s also rated as one of the worst movies.
    Also stop playing the “Every opinion I don’t like is alt-right”