Thread: What is the benefit of using shieldwall skill?

Default What is the benefit of using shieldwall skill?

When should I use shieldwall skill and when I shouldn't?

NorseThing's Avatar Primicerius

Default Re: What is the benefit of using shieldwall skill?

I do not know if this helps. It is off site on a rival forum, but it is a relatively recent posting.

https://forums.totalwar.com/discussi...se-shield-wall

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

One thing's for certain: you use schiltrom formation with spearmen in order to defend critical points like gatehouses during a defensive siege.

From what I can tell the shieldwall is useless. I've tested it extensively in battle against equal units and instead of going toe to toe the shieldwall unit only managed to kill around 45 units instead of a full 120 (huge size).

From siege defenses when placed at the gates they always seem to break formation rank by rank, defense mode or not. Plus they constantly attempt to reform when in battle.

Overall, I've not found a single use for it and would not recommend it. Schiltrom however...

Its supposed to be good for protection from archers while they march forward to meet the enemy across open field or toward a gate.
    Ive never done any real testing with it though.
    Honest and truly, I AM Robin Hood!

paleologos's Avatar You need burrito love!!

If one of your units is in shield wall and you order them to march past an enemy formation, they will be able to march through that enemy formation.
    Your casualties will depend on armor, enemy casualties will be very few while the penetration action lasts.
    In the end they will be at the enemy's rear.
    You can then order them to regular formation and attack the enemy from behind.
    Very useful for breaking through chokepoints controlled by the enemy, if you don't mind a good deal of casualties in a well armored -and therefore expensive- troop.

Quote Originally Posted by Roma_Victrix View Post
    One thing's for certain: you use schiltrom formation with spearmen in order to defend critical points like gatehouses during a defensive siege.

i wouldnt say so, schilltrom just makes your spearman unit immune to flanking, if you need to defend a critical point just use normal formation, and activate deffensive mode, it's better that way because in schilltrom soldiers will also keep trying to reform formation all the time instead of fighting the enemy

to op, shieldwall is good just for shiits and giggles

I hardly ever use schiltrom or shield wall. Spear wall for pikes, etc, yes. But the other two... just don't suit my style of play.

Never tried Shield Wall, all I do is spam using the "create_unit" command and have a ton of archers, swordsmen, and a few artillery siege engines. Just had two units of Templar Foot Knights (Unit ID: "Dismounted Knights Templar") take a settlement from a full stacked Crusader State army.

STILL, I only use swordsmen because they have higher defense and offense when compared to spearmen/sergeants, and I just have then in defensive position to act as a medieval-swordsmen-style Phalanx. Hope that helps!

it's better that way because in schilltrom soldiers will also keep trying to reform formation all the time instead of fighting the enemy
    They also inch forward through the gate while fighting, too. I've lost more than a few spear units thanks to schilltrom putting them under the oil ports.