Thread: Sharing My 8 Year Long Romani Campaign (V1.2)

Knonfoda's Avatar I came, I read, I wrote

Default Sharing My 8 Year Long Romani Campaign (V1.2)

Hello everyone,

Today marks a very special day for me. I finally finished my on/off, 8 year long Romani campaign, which I started waay waay back in 2010. I've been playing this campaign on and off for nearly the past decade, essentially "Role Playing" the Roman Empire. This meant having roughly realistic legion compositions, building tons of forts, and having tons of "client kingdoms". I fought *EVERY* battle, with few exceptions, like sea battles (obviously) and battles I'd already won but which crashed on the loading screen, which happened A LOT.

I have easily spent thousands and thousands of hours on this campaign alone. I believe the difficulty was Hard. Because I tried to mirror the infantry heavy Roman composition, I lost a great many number of battles I could have won otherwise, especially against cavalry (which I guess is pretty historical). I didn't cheat except to use the force diplomacy on defeated enemies to turn them into client/buffer states, and in the last few years to give me unlimited money (seeing as had basically already won). I micromanaged every city, which meant each turn took (excluding battles) took roughly 5-10 minutes towards the end to go through. I tried to keep happiness in every city as high as I could. I always started with Lightly Romanised Provinces first, then Roman Province where possible. This meant building A LOT of buildings.

My strategy was essentially to expand my borders, build forts (which meant I very, very rarely ever fought any defensive sieges on any of my cities) fight battles, defeat enemies, turn them into buffer states, rinse and repeat. Midway through I started creating "allied" armies through mercenaries and hired generals from recently conquered cities, allowing me to create far more diverse armies. I could have cavalry heavy armies, more Phalanx/Hoplite style armies, Germanic armies, etc. This was to mimic client states providing troops for my war effort. Towards the end with the numbered Legions I started "theming" each legion by the auxiliaries they had, so an Italic legion would have Ligurian infantry and cavalry, a Thracian one would have Thacian cavalry and Scordisci mercenaries, and Iberian would have Iberian swordsmen and Hispanic cavalry, etc.

So without further ado, here are some screenshots of my progress (with some commentary), alongside 9 different save files for anyone interested, from beginning to end.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

248 BC. This is a good example of my fortification heavy approach. Every pass, road and entrance to my lands is guarded by a fort. This always gave me plenty of warning and uptime to deal with incursions. My army composition typically had 3 triarii, 3 hastati, 3 velites and then some auxiliaries, augmented by cavalry.

179 BC. Screenshot got borked, but at this point I am expanding into Gaul, Greece and most of Africa. The battles against the northern rebels were some of the most epic of my entire campaign. The battle for eburonum holds a special place in my memory as the biggest, slowest (literally) battle I've ever engaged in in RTW. There were roughly 8 armies all together, four on each side, for something like 12,000 men total. The battle was like a stop motion video due to the lag. In the end the Legions prevailed.

163 BC. The client state of the Gauls faces its final days after betraying me. The Germans are next. Carthage has fallen, providing us with elephants, which I used sparingly. The Polybian reforms are starting to kick in (I think they are the Polybian ones? It was a while ago). I gave some land to the Seleucids between me and the Ptolemies because they kept attacking me there with tiny armies which made no sense.

131 BC. Another example of my fort approach. The border with the Arabs is nearly impregnable. Artillery starts making an appearance in my legions, and every numbered legion now has at least one ballista and one scorpio.

110 BC. An example of my "Thracian" Legion, with some Galatians thrown in. If I couldn't recruit local good infantry, I'd recruit mercenaries. My criteria is they had to have some form of armour (normally mail), a shield and either a sword/spear to mimic the real "Auxiliaries". So no bare chested auxiliaries, with one exception, shown below.

104 BC. My "Imperial Legion". This was the legion that always accompanied the Emperor, made up of praetorians. The naked berserkers became one of my favourite auxiliary troops (for obvious reasons) so they were given a special place alongside my best troops. I only ever used them with this legion so there was only 2 units of them at play at any one time. You can also see I have a buffer of vassal states between me and the Baktrians.

90 BC. AN example of my "allied" army, made mostly of hoplites and phalanxes. I used these to simulate the armies of subjugated nations, and when I got bored of playing mostly legionary battles. When I eventually conquered the steppe, Scythian and Sarmatian cavalry heavy armies became OP as hell. This is why I mostly stuck to one "army" or stack per conquered region.

61 BC. The end is near for the Baktrians. The Saka have fallen after I suffered a number of defeats at their hands (again, playing mostly Legionary style infantry heavy armies against horsemen = suicide) but I finally defeated them in the end. Here is an example of a "reinforcement stack" which I used to refill my depleted legionary auxiliaries. Because I couldn't recruit these guys locally I always had a huge stream of armies filtering in from the west with legionaries, artillery, cavalry, etc. It usually took them years to make the trip all the way east.

It was super annoying not being able to recruit/retrain any legions past Babylon. It meant all my numbered legions usually ended up with 20-50 men. I sent them back west between campaigns but it usually took them years to go all the way back, retrain and then return.

54 BC. The final battle, fought outside of Taksashila. The Baktrians put up a brave fight, but they too must become part of our empire. The entire world is ours.

8 years and 800 seasons later, after 2571 battles won and 122 lost, the Roman Empire is finally complete, and finally at peace. This was the best campaign I ever played, and was a ton of fun to dip in and out of over the years. I'd like to thank the EB team again for such an amazing mod, and for giving me some amazing hours playing this game.

Here are the saves, corresponding to the screenshots, if anyone is interested. Please note they are for version 1.2 of EB. Thanks for reading!

http://www.mediafire.com/file/49o6cb...mani_Saves.rar

Default Re: Sharing My 8 Year Long Romani Campaign (V1.2)

This will be me in only 6 more years.

Quote Originally Posted by BHL 20 View Post
    This will be me in only 6 more years.

Btw, are the screenshots not loading for other people too?

Aexodus's Avatar Persuasion>Coercion
    Blog Entries

Wow! Fair play for the dedication mate What a campaign.

Quote Originally Posted by Knonfoda View Post
    Btw, are the screenshots not loading for other people too?
    The screenies are fine for me
    Patronised by Pontifex Maximus
    Quote Originally Posted by Himster View Post
    The trick is to never be honest. That's what this social phenomenon is engineering: publicly conform, or else.

Ermeni's Avatar Biarchus

that's an amazing campaign, I have a 10 year greek city states campaign that i played on vh/vh, your amount of battles is so amazing, i guess it was cuz of how you roleplayed?

https://imgur.com/a/6o6I9 i reached 1774 battles

I'd love to start another campaign but recently the game crashes all the time which is so sad

Celtic Magister's Avatar Miles

Very well done on your campaign. If you'd like, you can capture Terhazza now by using cheats to move an army down there, but I can't guarantee your game won't freak out. It'd be the epic last battle that makes your campaign corrupted and unplayable, but complete.

Quote Originally Posted by Aexodus View Post
    Wow! Fair play for the dedication mate What a campaign.

The screenies are fine for me
    Awesome, and I'm glad you liked them!

Quote Originally Posted by Ermeni View Post
    that's an amazing campaign, I have a 10 year greek city states campaign that i played on vh/vh, your amount of battles is so amazing, i guess it was cuz of how you roleplayed?

https://imgur.com/a/6o6I9 i reached 1774 battles

I'd love to start another campaign but recently the game crashes all the time which is so sad
    Yes, I even played the annoying rebel battles. I really wish the old RTW engine had some way of like suppressing the rebel spawns, like connecting them to fort building or something. I always ended up having a fort per province or so with units just dedicated to fighting rebels lol.

And yes, crashes were something I had to deal with all the time unfortunately, jut a perk of the old engine I'm fraid

Quote Originally Posted by Celtic Magister View Post
    Very well done on your campaign. If you'd like, you can capture Terhazza now by using cheats to move an army down there, but I can't guarantee your game won't freak out. It'd be the epic last battle that makes your campaign corrupted and unplayable, but complete.
    Thanks! Yeah, I know. I should say I used cheats extensively towards the end to gift my enemies "proper" stacks and enemies. I lost a lot of battles because my enemies had 6+ stacks of like triple gold trained experienced armoured elite units I wouldn't have faced otherwise!

But yeah, I left that last province as I know conquering it would end the game, but thanks for the tip!

Boriak's Avatar Senator

Can't see any screenshots either.