Thread: Early roman allied units - really bad?

Default Early roman allied units - really bad?

referring to saminite roman infantry

most noticeably the late saminiti principes. they are worse than regular late principes all around and also missing the disciplined formation, losing additional stats.

saminites units while very slightly cheaper but pretty much no practical difference in cost.

in essence there is pretty much no reason to get any except historical roleplay.

Maybe they could be more noticeably cheaper to be worthwhile game play wise?
    OR for historical accuracy , perhaps use a different population of manpower?

Default Re: Early roman allied units - really bad?

Quote Originally Posted by meerkatology View Post
    referring to saminite roman infantry

most noticeably the late saminiti principes. they are worse than regular late principes all around and also missing the disciplined formation, losing additional stats.

saminites units while very slightly cheaper but pretty much no practical difference in cost.

in essence there is pretty much no reason to get any except historical roleplay.

Maybe they could be more noticeably cheaper to be worthwhile game play wise?
    OR for historical accuracy , perhaps use a different population of manpower?
    Many units will probably get the disciplined formation eventually, it's being phased in to make sure it properly works before adding it to all units I believe. As far as historical accuracy is concerned, they are recruited from the same population since they are part of the Socii and as such were considered pretty much equal to romans, when it came to being a soldier, since they served in the regular armies, rather than being in the auxiliary cohorts. Many socii allies also had many rights and as such are hard to be categorized as 'lower' class in this system. I also believe the samnite principes are of a lighter (more mobile) class. Btw, did you want to ask for a submod or something? Bit strange posting it in this section otherwise.

♔Greek Strategos♔'s Avatar THE BEARDED MACE
    took an arrow to the knee

Ι find them pretty good as they are now and as Dardo said FA is still pending for many units. I mostly use them for Historical authenticity and role play though.

Maetharin's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Dardo21 View Post
    Many units will probably get the disciplined formation eventually, it's being phased in to make sure it properly works before adding it to all units I believe. As far as historical accuracy is concerned, they are recruited from the same population since they are part of the Socii and as such were considered pretty much equal to romans, when it came to being a soldier, since they served in the regular armies, rather than being in the auxiliary cohorts. Many socii allies also had many rights and as such are hard to be categorized as 'lower' class in this system. I also believe the samnite principes are of a lighter (more mobile) class. Btw, did you want to ask for a submod or something? Bit strange posting it in this section otherwise.
    Actually, the Socii would better fit in the Peregrini population, they were considered foreigners by the Romans.
    The Socii were soldiers of their own states, which had fixed ratios of soldiers they had to provide to the Alae, which were the equivalent of the Legions.
    Also, these Soldiers were payed by their own state, not by Rome.

Of course this would break balance, but I at least always use a submod which puts these guys into the Peregrini population.
    "Ceterum censeo Carthaginem delendam esse!"

Marcus Porcius Cato Censorius

"I concur!"

​Me

Quote Originally Posted by Maetharin View Post
    Actually, the Socii would better fit in the Peregrini population, they were considered foreigners by the Romans.
    The Socii were soldiers of their own states, which had fixed ratios of soldiers they had to provide to the Alae, which were the equivalent of the Legions.
    Also, these Soldiers were payed by their own state, not by Rome.

Of course this would break balance, but I at least always use a submod which puts these guys into the Peregrini population.
    The Socii were considered foreigners to some Romans in the early days of the Republic, however that changes with the various eras, reforms and grants of citizenship, and especially after the period of the Roman Rebellion.

Indeed, the settlement cultural stats show the split between Latin, Italian, Hellenic, and so on. If that breakdown is connected in any way to the population stats then it could in theory be possible to recruit from different cultural pools.

In my opinion, each region should have a modifier reflecting how resistant it would be to assimilating. In southern Italy today you still find people who identify themselves as "Sanniti" and "Lucani."

I agree with @Greek Strategos that for role playing it's a nice touch to include these units and I do things like make a wing of a legion just out of Socii rather than intersperse them. If you play the Data Venia mod, you will almost inevitably face rebellions from a range of Italic tribes and it is fun to see their armies comprised of different units versus a bunch of Romani ones.

KAM 2150's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

I will be working on their stats soon. Early on, difference was that Roman units had better defence and morale while Allied units better attack and charge so I will go for something similar.
    Official DeI Instagram Account! https://www.instagram.com/divideetimperamod/
    Official DeI Facebook Page! https://www.facebook.com/divideetimperamod

♔Greek Strategos♔'s Avatar THE BEARDED MACE
    took an arrow to the knee

Quote Originally Posted by MrMerisi View Post
    I agree with @Greek Strategos that for role playing it's a nice touch to include these units and I do things like make a wing of a legion just out of Socii rather than intersperse them. If you play the Data Venia mod, you will almost inevitably face rebellions from a range of Italic tribes and it is fun to see their armies comprised of different units versus a bunch of Romani ones.
    Yeap that's what I do and actually that's what Socii were for, to support Roman Center from the wings.

Quote Originally Posted by KAM 2150 View Post
    I will be working on their stats soon. Early on, difference was that Roman units had better defence and morale while Allied units better attack and charge so I will go for something similar.
    Sounds good to me.