Thread: Frustrating combat?

Default Frustrating combat?

Hello team,
    Thank you so much for all the effort in this wonderful mod,

however I don't know if I'm doing anything wrong during combat, would someone please give me some advice on how to play battles?
    I'm no noob in vanilla rome 2 battles, but in DEI I sometimes find my 4 units surrounding 1 Etruscan hoplite unit and having spacing.
    Spamming double RMB sort of fixes it but all the lines get really badly messed up, every fight ends up in a big cluster with half the troops in the back not fighting, or being just a bit too far from attacking.

Any tips?

♔Greek Strategos♔'s Avatar THE BEARDED MACE
    took an arrow to the knee

Default Re: Frustrating combat?

Some spacing issues are always present, because that's a base game issue. With our pending sumbod to remove match combat though, I believe spacing will be much better.
    So stay tuned buddy
    Last edited by ♔Greek Strategos♔; January 14, 2018 at 01:16 PM.

I donīt know how what mod are people playing but definitely not DeI. Hoplites just die if you attack them from the rear with javelins is so easy.

Te IA is playing really well battles, i just lost a battle with rome 1 legion vs getae army. That is the first time i lost a legion in 1v1. Im amazed.

KAM 2150's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

Often people have mods that make changes to our combat tables, even if some submods say they do not change it (like most of kill animation mods).

Btw, 4 units attacking 1 unit is pointless as you don't have more men fighting at once due to lack of space and they only tire, never use more than 2-3 units to attack single target.
    Official DeI Instagram Account! https://www.instagram.com/divideetimperamod/
    Official DeI Facebook Page! https://www.facebook.com/divideetimperamod

Quote Originally Posted by KAM 2150 View Post
    Often people have mods that make changes to our combat tables, even if some submods say they do not change it (like most of kill animation mods).

Btw, 4 units attacking 1 unit is pointless as you don't have more men fighting at once due to lack of space and they only tire, never use more than 2-3 units to attack single target.
    Kam no matched combat is breaking DeI right now? Im using it.

♔Greek Strategos♔'s Avatar THE BEARDED MACE
    took an arrow to the knee

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Damian View Post
    Kam no matched combat is breaking DeI right now? Im using it.
    Ιt's not breaking it. You can use this. Some units with custom animations will still use matched animations and that's all.

KAM 2150's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

The no matched one is fine, just most of other mods add tables related to combat for some reason, instead of just animations.
    Official DeI Instagram Account! https://www.instagram.com/divideetimperamod/
    Official DeI Facebook Page! https://www.facebook.com/divideetimperamod

waidizss's Avatar Ordinarius

MoraleBooster, welcome to the gangsquad! I am here as your guide, to offer you advice on precarious battle mechanics of total war Series. Let us begin with a short introductory video on the basics of Roman warfare. We will use this video to deconstruct the stages of a battle.

(link not working so here it is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nl2LTjeC5Ns )

First of all, at 0:40 you see that the army deploys in tight ranks, forming a turtle formation to protect from projectiles. This enables them to minimize casualties during the skirmish phase. Roman infantry tactics (esp early game) do not yield large amount of projectile units so you usually rely on dispatching pilla effectively and using wedge gaps in your ranks to allow for safe using of javelin units. Figure 1 illustrates this phase, and it would be the 1:20 to 1:30 minute segment in the video.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Secondly, it is of utmost importance to control the territory. You are best friends are flanks and other various gaps and wedges that can be produced in a formation. The easiest thing to do is to just engage whole enemy army and move your infantry behind them from both flanks, under the cover of your superior cavalry. But let's not be haste and move to these cheap tactics. The fun part is cutting off certain parts of enemy army and encircling them without moving forward. Hannibal did it once during battle of Karna or smth but doesn't matter. What you want to do is spot a weak part of enemy line, disengage them frontally, draw them a bit inside so they expose their flank as in figure 1, and the crush them with concentrated projectiles, cavalry charges or your reserve infantry. In our video it is covered by the segment 4:00 to 4:15.

Now I bet you are wondering, but principus, how do I accomplish all of this with minimal loses? Well, you should safeguard some of your units to rank them up. Ranked up units increase in attack ability which means more kills per minute, that allows you to create gaps faster and that means, surrounding your enemy faster. 'The gap' is to be exploited quickly through with more forces can move through. That's the whole purpose of it. Send anything you want through there, be it infantry, cavalry, dead men of dunharrow or some slingers.

Hopefully this helps, good luck soldier.

Data Venia hardcore couch general edition: 'Competent' AI, reworked unit stats, realistic speeds, more planning, more strategy, less arcade, less cheese.

Get that feel that you are campaigning, not simply steamrolling, now only Ģ9.99 monthly subscription for your advanced Lucius Licinius Lucullus' guide to subjugating the east.

Quote Originally Posted by waidizss View Post
    MoraleBooster, welcome to the gangsquad!

Hilarious and helpful at the same time! +rep