Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Total War: Three Kingdoms will be released in Fall 2018

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

Icon4 Total War: Three Kingdoms will be released in Fall 2018

So this just happened:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=s4D42vMUSIM

Judging by the trailer alone, it appears that they are basing it way more on the 14th-century novel Romance of the Three Kingdoms by Luo Guanzhong than the actual historical texts, such as Records of the Three Kingdoms. That's a shame, because I want a purely historical game, not something that looks akin to Dynasty Warriors. The whole thing about "champions" sounds like they're taking this in the wrong direction, if there are stupid features like Lu Bu killing a thousand of your soldiers in a single battle.

Your thoughts? I think the Rise of the Three Kingdoms might be the only legit Three Kingdoms game worth playing if this new release turns out to be too silly to be taken seriously. I could be wrong, though. I hope I'm proven wrong!

Hoplite of Ilis's Avatar Domesticus

Default Re: Total War: Three Kingdoms will be released in Fall 2018

Thoughts? We already have the Chinese in Age of Mythology.

However, I can see dlc characters like Son Wukong... What a load of crap CA has become... Way to go!

True CA 1987-2007
    Usurpers CA 2009-present
    Last edited by Hoplite of Ilis; January 11, 2018 at 06:16 AM.

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Quote Originally Posted by Roma_Victrix View Post
    I want a purely historical game, not something that looks akin to Dynasty Warriors. The whole thing about "champions" sounds like they're taking this in the wrong direction, if there are stupid features like Lu Bu killing a thousand of your soldiers in a single battle.

Your thoughts? I think the Rise of the Three Kingdoms might be the only legit Three Kingdoms game worth playing if this new release turns out to be too silly to be taken seriously. I could be wrong, though. I hope I'm proven wrong!
    I think the whole genre is going into a fantasy mode and the lovers of history will have to enjoy M2TW mods for many years to come.
    Last edited by Jurand of Cracow; January 11, 2018 at 08:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jurand of Cracow View Post
    I think the whole genre is going into a fantasy mode and the lovers of history will have to enjoy M2TW mods for many years to come.
    Who's to blame for this shift towards historical-based fantasy, exactly? GRRM and Game of Thrones?

Quote Originally Posted by Hoplite of Ilis View Post
    Thoughts? We already have the Chinese in Age of Mythology.
    I'd much rather have the actual Ming Chinese in the Imjin War supporting Joseon Korea against Toyotomi Hideyoshi's Japan, thank you very much.

However, I can see dlc characters like Son Wukong... What a load of crap CA has become... Way to go!
    Heh. The Monkey King...wouldn't put it past them!

True CA 1987-2007
    Usurpers CA 2009-present
    So how do you topple the usurpers and place the true heir on the throne, then? I feel as though M2TW mods are the royal faction in exile.

Who's to blame for this shift towards historical-based fantasy, exactly? GRRM and Game of Thrones?
    An official Game of Thrones game by CA with an extended feudal styled politics- and character-system in the background would be awesome, though. I enjoy that kind of dark and political themed fantasy much more than that bristling with colorful magic and creatures fantasy of Warhammer. It's a bit over the top fantastic for my taste.

For the China themed new Total War, I just can't get into that setting. I don't know why. I could not even really get into Shogun 2 although it might have been a great game.

Quote Originally Posted by TheKingWhoCared View Post
    An official Game of Thrones game by CA with an extended feudal styled politics- and character-system in the background would be awesome, though. I enjoy that kind of dark and political themed fantasy much more than that bristling with colorful magic and creatures fantasy of Warhammer. It's a bit over the top fantastic for my taste.

For the China themed new Total War, I just can't get into that setting. I don't know why. I could not even really get into Shogun 2 although it might have been a great game.
    How come? You know you are in the RotK subforum right?

caratacus's Avatar Primicerius

Judging by the trailer alone, it appears that they are basing it way more on the 14th-century novel Romance of the Three Kingdoms by Luo Guanzhong than the actual historical texts, such as Records of the Three Kingdoms. That's a shame, because I want a purely historical game, not something that looks akin to Dynasty Warriors. The whole thing about "champions" sounds like they're taking this in the wrong direction, if there are stupid features like Lu Bu killing a thousand of your soldiers in a single battle.

Yes, its wrong to speculate at this stage . But I think this new game engine will be an RPG hybrid, enabling you to not only coordinate battle strategy but actually take part in the fighting. A bit like the direction FOTS was taking, were you could fire off cannons.

Given the disappointment with CA developing AI in the past, it seems a safer line to pursue for the Company in a new game title. Looking around at most other games, RPG does seem to dominate the market, strategy game like Total War are a rarity and there isn't anything similar in battle simulation . Given that they are probably looking at a new Asian market, a game which is character led with an RPG element based on legendary Chinese historical characters, would seem the most pragmatic approach to take. I expected something similar in Warhammer but it wasn't an entirely new 64bit game engine and the title wasn't registered and controlled by SEGA. Any RPG element built into the game, might have been seen as competition with an RPG already carrying the title.

Anyway I am sure that further details will be made known soon. But the release of the introduction video without a more detailed presentation, merits speculation by fans, critical or otherwise.
    Last edited by caratacus; January 11, 2018 at 10:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheKingWhoCared View Post

Firstly, welcome to the forum! It's your first post and already you have an avatar and are conversing like a regular. Very good.

Secondly, it's strange that you have this opinion about a Chinese setting...while commenting in the sub-forum for the Rise of the Three Kingdoms mod of M2TW.

I'm glad you felt compelled to comment, though, and you will probably be happy to know a beta Westerors: Total War mod for M2TW exists, with a fuller version coming in the near future.

Quote Originally Posted by caratacus View Post
    Yes, its wrong to speculate at this stage . But I think this new game engine will be an RPG hybrid, enabling you to not only coordinate battle strategy but actually take part in the fighting. A bit like the direction FOTS was taking, were you could fire off cannons.

Given the disappointment with CA developing AI in the past, it seems a safer line to pursue for the Company in a new game title. Looking around at most other games, RPG does seem to dominate the market, strategy game like Total War are a rarity and there isn't anything similar in battle simulation . Given that they are probably looking at a new Asian market, a game which is character led with an RPG element based on legendary Chinese historical characters, would seem the most pragmatic approach to take. I expected something similar in Warhammer but it wasn't an entirely new 64bit game engine and the title wasn't registered and controlled by SEGA. Any RPG element built into the game, might have been seen as competition with an RPG already carrying the title.

Anyway I am sure that further details will be made known soon. But the release of the introduction video without a more detailed presentation, merits speculation by fans, critical or otherwise.
    Interesting. Thanks for all the clarifications and speculation about how this game is geared towards a new Chinese audience. It makes sense for CA and SEGA to cleave their way into KOEI's business model. The latter has almost monopolized gaming content for video games set in the Chinese Three Kingdoms period. The Dynasty Warriors franchise is silly in comparison to historical Total War games, though. I can only hope that this latest release will rely way more on the contemporary historical record of Chen Shou than on Luo's semi-historical novel written centuries after the fact.

It would be like introducing a new TW game on the Sub-Roman Britons and Anglo-Saxons, only loosely based on Geoffrey of Monmouth's Arthurian chronicle instead of actual written histories and the archaeological record.

Fianlly, CA decided to go back to what really matters, leaving aside that parenthesis of the ****hammer thingy stuff

The new chapter of the series looks really promising... hoping they don't just have the same approach of RII TW, awesome pics at first and then... the first versions were .... .... you know

Hoplite of Ilis's Avatar Domesticus

So how do you topple the usurpers and place the true heir on the throne, then? I feel as though M2TW mods are the royal faction in exile.
    It cannot be changed. Unless another company starts making historical titles like CA used to do, nothing will change. There must be competition. And since CA is the only one left - from back then - well, you can see what's going on... Every few months new "games" announced, but NOTHING really new. In this fashion, they can announce more & more with barely any effort in between. CA can do a multitude of nothings.

bigdaddy1204's Avatar Campidoctor

This announcement is a good thing, in the sense that it represents a return to history, and that it opens up an entirely new subject, Chinese warfare. We were probably overdue for a game featuring the Chinese. In terms of the concept of individual warriors battling it out, the video isn't so different from Shogun 2, although I am a bit wary of the over-emphasis of individual combat if it does indeed take the game in the RPG direction. I want realistic historical strategy battles, not one man taking down a whole army.

Anyway I consider myself out of the subject, really. I like playing Attila Total War and Medieval 2 TW mods. I would've preferred the next game to be Medieval 3, but oh well. On balance a game about China is probably more worthwhile as it hasn't been done by CA before.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adar View Post
    I am quite impressed by the fact that you managed to make such a rant but still manage to phrase it in such a way that it is neither relevant to the thread nor to the topic you are trying to introduce to the thread.

mhm, btw I also think the Three Kingdoms is the best mixure of three powerful elements: awesome settings, glorious history and that little touch of light fantasy... all combined I think it will be a good result...

let's see if MII still resists the ages or will have to say bye bye forever...

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

I am kinda thrilled that the mod is now the theme of a main game. Just crossing fingers that they don't go overboard with the hero stuff.

rdrive's Avatar Laetus

I wouldn't mind powerful general/hero units if they aren't too over-the-top and I very much doubt that TW:TK will be as "fantasy" as some people are speculating. Even if the game goes full Dynasty Warriors, it's pretty much guaranteed there'll be a myriad of historical accuracy and rebalancing mods.

Since I will never get any steam only game, all I can compare are trailers and you have to say, Rome 2 trailers were the best, neh? Seriously, unless CA produce a super moddable game, m2tw without hard coded limits or the like level, they woudn't get much money from a old dinosaur that look for quality and buy a game every three years or so. But I am not the public type targeted by game companies in general. I miss the nineties, don't you?

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee spy of the council

Blog Entries

Ah yes, the days when modems sounded like a cat got strangulated and games came in sturdy boxes

Well, yes, though I don't really regret the big boxes, nor the ears killer modems. More like the golden age of adventure games, quality of the games and some company that were producing really original games with depth stories, and even SOME of them that were taking risks with marketing in this pursuit...
    The gabriel knight series, Tex Murphy, Fallout 1, Planescape Torment, among the best...

The age from before the 'super' 3d and 'killer' graphisms yes, you can say, at least I can, that super graphisms really did make a killing... In killing general quality.
    But this was a different time and now graphics makes everything, at least for the large public targeted by succesful company. They have no reason to try and make great and unique games anymore, they have a large audience that will buy anyway.
    What? I am ranting? Well I can afford it, I am right. I could think of a few past early 2000 games I like but just one or two I would call great.

What could I say to look vaguely on topic? I know, this is a great recent game:
    https://www.gog.com/game/the_cat_lady

It's not on topic? well, there is cat in it, and it's a thread on a other game than m2tw anyway? I coudn't resist... You are not gonna censure old selv, are you?

bigdaddy1204's Avatar Campidoctor

I don't think good games have entirely disappeared. But the games I enjoy now are a bit different. I am looking forward to "Railway Empire" which comes out later this month.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/50...ailway_Empire/

It's a bit like the old Railroad Tycoon games, the old 2002 version which i remember fondly. I have high hopes for it. I also enjoyed some of the more unusual simulation games in modern times. This is my favourite:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/24...ain_Simulator/

There's only so many times you can conquer your enemies, after all. Sometimes it's fun to just sit back, relax and enjoy the scenery!
    Quote Originally Posted by Adar View Post
    I am quite impressed by the fact that you managed to make such a rant but still manage to phrase it in such a way that it is neither relevant to the thread nor to the topic you are trying to introduce to the thread.

Ah that's sure, glorious games of late 90 or early 2000 like the Doom series, Half-Life and other few pearls are unmatched, no matter what the software houses do today...

Al in all I hope too Three Kingdoms will respect history without putting fantasy stuff "à la ****hammer", xD
    but if they develop good hero characters with "powers" and great historical background, why not!!

Let's see what they come up with... at least, if we do not have the "pretty faces" of the first RIITW versions is already a VERY GOOD start xD

LestaT's Avatar Artifex

Quote Originally Posted by Gigantus View Post
    I am kinda thrilled that the mod is now the theme of a main game. Just crossing fingers that they don't go overboard with the hero stuff.
    It's easier to mod things out than mod things in even on the new engine. Once TW3K Assembly Kit is out, I'll mod out the stuff you dont want for you, free of charge. 😁

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast