Page 4 of 60 FirstFirst 12345678910111213142954 ... LastLast

Thread: New Historical total war era - Total War: Three Kingdoms!

Default Re: New Historical total war era announcement coming on Thursday!

Quote Originally Posted by katsusand View Post
    There is a reason why CA conveniently skips the Rise of the Caliphate era... Despite being one of the most significant periods in history (The fall of the Sasanians and the massive Byzantine decline) with a multitude of epic, history changing battles and legendary commanders (Khalid ibn Al Waleed)

Can you guess why?

Hint: It's the same reason why not even a single mod in here covers that era.
    Excuse me? What exactly are you implying here? That CA and mod makers for Total War are racists? Ridiculous assertion.

I think there are just more interesting conflicts that a mass audience in the west would know of and are taught about. That's why they cover fairly well known periods, on top of being based in the UK. I think the wen't with something like Thrones of Brittania for the period being popularized recently by things like The Last Kingdom and Vikings series. The hype. They have had middle eastern and muslim factions (in particular) featured heavily in Medieval 2 and the Crusades. I think something incorporating these Muslim factions into a medieval world again in general would be a much better choice for an era, but even that might be getting very stale at this point. I think something in the 16th century + would be better, for a new take on historical combat, and a change of scenery featuring maybe the new world, Africa, India again. A well redone Empire would be great - especially with how they are dabbling in merging giant campaigns in Mortal Empires.
    Last edited by SturmChurro; January 11, 2018 at 05:54 AM.

Finally a total war game i can be excited about. That's fantastic news.

This is Total War going back to its core. I understand some people enjoy the gunpowder age but we've already had that with Empire, Napoleon and Fall of the Samurai. It was time for a new era that fit in the Total War concept perfectly. The size, the scale, and the variety. All perfect.
    The Armenian Issue

Quote Originally Posted by Darios View Post
    This does look interesting. I have no particular interest in Chinese history, but I would much rather have this than another campaign with somewhat civilized/settled Germanic barbarians taking on slightly more barbaric/migratory Germanic barbarians. I will follow this game's development and if it looks promising enough - I'll end up getting it. I do hope that there will be some kind of nomadic/steppe-like factions in the north and/or west. I'd definitely get it then

My only worry...that trailer, especially that three-way fight, looked very (need I say it?)....BADASS! Cmon CA, please stop doing this....and just make a history game.

I guess there will be quite a few of us who will be disappointed by a major TW title being devoted to China. That's legit, but I suppose this is why CA started the Sagas project - to every once in a while give us more familiar settings for campaigns while they play their BADASS fantasies with Warhammer and now 3KTW
    With regards to the scene, it was supposed to be 3 v 1 with Liu Bei, Zhang Fei and Guan yu against Lu Bu alone. The 三英战吕布 (Three heroes against Lu Bu)scene was one of the most prominent action in The Battle of Hu Lao Guan (which is unfortunately fictional) in the novel.
    「戦場廻り、運命決まり、生死しらない」

Quote Originally Posted by SturmChurro View Post
    Excuse me? What exactly are you implying here? That CA and mod makers for Total War are racists? Ridiculous assertion.

I think there are just more interesting conflicts that a mass audience in the west would know of and are taught about. That's why they cover fairly well known periods, on top of being based in the UK. I think the wen't with something like Thrones of Brittania for the period being popularized recently by things like The Last Kingdom and Vikings series. The hype. They have had middle eastern and muslim factions (in particular) featured heavily in Medieval 2 and the Crusades. I think something incorporating these Muslim factions into a medieval world again in general would be a much better choice for an era, but even that might be getting very stale at this point. I think something in the 16th century + would be better, for a new take on historical combat, and a change of scenery featuring maybe the new world, Africa, India again. A well redone Empire would be great - especially with how they are dabbling in merging giant campaigns in Mortal Empires.
    Not rascist, no.
    Their core audience are European and people from European decent, and by extension Christians. Hence why a Rise of the Caliphate era won't go well. It's basically the golden age of Islam and perhaps the darkest age for Christianity. A lot of Christians and/or Europeans aren't keen on the idea of a game that focuses on that era. See: Lack of mods from the community about that era.

CA knows what their audience wants, that's why the vast majority of their games focus on European conflicts.

And it's why games like Shogun and Three Kingdoms are such a refreshing change of pace.

Not rascist, no.
    Their core audience are European and people from European decent, and by extension Christians. Hence why a Rise of the Caliphate era won't go well. It's basically the golden age of Islam and perhaps the darkest age for Christianity. A lot of Christians and/or Europeans aren't keen on the idea of a game that focuses on that era. See: Lack of mods from the community about that era.

CA knows what their audience wants, that's why the vast majority of their games focus on European conflicts.

And it's why games like Shogun and Three Kingdoms are such a refreshing change of pace.
    No way is religious tolerance is the issue here. They have had multiple games focusing on many different religions that involve both sides. I do not think Rise of Islam or whatever has ever been "popularized" to the extent something Like SHOGUN or even Three Kingdoms are for a non euro-centric game. Yeah, sure maybe why it islam hasn't been taught or covered as much in the past is because of that, but there is no way that is why CA isn't covering it. Also, I am pretty sure I have seen mods focus on the middle-east like: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forum...roken-Crescent
    Last edited by SturmChurro; January 11, 2018 at 07:32 AM.

FrozenmenSS's Avatar Senator

There is a reason why CA conveniently skips the Rise of the Caliphate era... Despite being one of the most significant periods in history (The fall of the Sasanians and the massive Byzantine decline) with a multitude of epic, history changing battles and legendary commanders (Khalid ibn Al Waleed)

Can you guess why?

Hint: It's the same reason why not even a single mod in here covers that era.
    WRONG !!! xd

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfile.../?id=662742714

Quote Originally Posted by FrozenmenSS View Post
    Cool. I didn't see it last I checked.

Quote Originally Posted by SturmChurro View Post
    No way is religious tolerance is the issue here. They have had multiple games focusing on many different religions that involve both sides. I do not think Rise of Islam or whatever has ever been "popularized" to the extent something Like SHOGUN or even Three Kingdoms are for a non euro-centric game. Yeah, sure maybe why it islam hasn't been taught or covered as much in the past is because of that, but there is no way that is why CA isn't covering it. Also, I am pretty sure I have seen mods focus on the middle-east like: http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forum...roken-Crescent
    I don't think Europeans/Christians have long standing religious animosity with other religions besides Islam, and maaaybe Judaism. And you should check that mod out... It's not really about the golden age of Islam. Hence the name. And it's not necessarily religious intolerance at play here, but perhaps the lack of interest in playing with anything other than your home cultures and religions. Which is natural and nothing wrong with that.

But I digress, I don't want to steer this thread out of topic considering a mod even pre-preemptively warned us about it a few pages back.

It's clear what the core fanbase wants. You know it, I know it, CA knows it.
    Last edited by katsusand; January 11, 2018 at 08:38 AM.

Jurand of Cracow's Avatar History and gameplay!

Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    One of my dreams was Medieval Total War 3, sadly SEGA has taken another direction ..
    Actually I'm not that disappointed: this gives the M2TW mods (SS variations, Broken Crescent etc.) longer life. I don't believe the TW:3K would provide good tools to create big scale mods like TATW, EBII, 1648 or the Rise of three Kingdoms with the RTW/M2TW engine.
    Mod leader of the SSHIP: traits, ancillaries, scripts, buildings, geography, economy.
    ..............................................................................................................................................................................
    If you want to play a historical mod in the medieval setting the best are:
    Stainless Steel Historical Improvement Project and Broken Crescent.
    Recently, Tsardoms and TGC look also very good. Read my opinions on the other mods here.
    ..............................................................................................................................................................................
    Reviews of the mods (all made in 2018): SSHIP, Wrath of the Norsemen, Broken Crescent.
    Follow home rules for playing a game without exploiting the M2TW engine deficiencies.
    Hints for Medieval 2 moders: forts, merchants, AT-NGB bug, trade fleets.
    Thrones of Britannia: review, opinion on the battles, ideas for modding. Shieldwall is promising!
    Dominant strategy in Rome2, Attila, ToB and Troy: “Sniping groups of armies”. Still there, alas!

Here is a small info video I made about what we know about the game so far!

Epic28's Avatar Senator

Is there actually a new engine for this game? Ive seen a few people claim this but haven't read anything official from CA stating they created a new engine for 3K.
    Without mercy. Without compassion. Without remorse.
    All war depends upon it.

Quote Originally Posted by Epic28 View Post
    Is there actually a new engine for this game? Ive seen a few people claim this but haven't read anything official from CA stating they created a new engine for 3K.
    They haven't said anything about the engine AFAIK.

I personally would not be able to endure another Warscape engine game. Synchronized 'duel' animations need to go. Unit mass needs to come back.

We're stuck with this engine since Empire, and it's showing it's age.

Leonardo's Avatar Reborn Old Timer

If the new game is a 64-bit then I really doubt that the Warscape engine would work, instead I think we need to wait for more information from CA about the two latest games.
    Under patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader.

How to make Morrowind less buggy for new players - Of course every player may find it useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Leonardo View Post
    If the new game is a 64-bit then I really doubt that the Warscape engine would work, instead I think we need to wait for more information from CA about the two latest games.
    Warhammer is 64 bit and that's Warscape too.

craziii's Avatar Protector Domesticus

Quote Originally Posted by Evan MF View Post
    It looks like the predictions I've been posting several times on this forum are coming true. The Warhammer era of Total War has and is going to irreparably change the artistic and design philosophy of the development studio. The trailer is throwing up all sorts of redflags, one being the clear indications that it will be hero-oriented combat, moving away from the more 'battle simulator' gameplay. It also appears as if they've let their artistic license meander away quite a bit, it feels like there will be a lot of fantastical depictions and art-styles in this one. I imagine the special abilities buttons will be implemented galore too, to the expense of the maneuvering gameplay focus that older titles did so uniquely well. This is a regrettable change of path for the studio for those of us who dream of a battle simulator game that at least tries to be historical and realistic. I'll still give them the chance to prove me wrong, but at this point I'd wager I'm correct.
    to be honest, adding quests and rpg elements are good designs. instead of only items like in warhammer, the quest rewards can easily be factionwide bonuses, unlocking special units, hell, even an unique building chain. that also makes the players feel more involved in the game. special abilities on generals are fine. even in warhammer it was mostly morale or speed enhancers. if we take out warhammer magic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dude with the Food View Post
    As a fan of history and having almost no interest in Warhammer (never played), I think I'll prefer this following a slightly fantastical/heroic theme. Magic and excessive rpg are turn offs but if it's not presented 100% historially accurately then the suspension of belief isn't quite as damaged when it doesn't feel accurate. If we're getting lords and heroes in battle, like Warhammer, I don't feel as bad when battles are blobby slaughterfests like Attila.
    judging from warhammer sales numbers, you don't matter :))) just kidding. 100% historically accurate = you are dreaming though. that is no longer a game. problem with rome II/attila was because a designer at CA decided the defend button needed to go to create chaos so players would have more micromanagement in battles. this choice caused alot of problems, one of which was the blobby mess you saw. it was why formed attack was patched in. if you have played warhammer I and II you would know this problem has been solve.
    warhammer series had a huge engine update. ca might have upgraded the engine even more for the new game.

@thread ca just released a single cgi trailer, and negativity is up the wazoo :))) china will always be a hard sell. too many haters :) good luck to CA.

ps: I have always hated the first gunpower total war game because it introduced the hated, loathed firing cones for range units. it made sense for primitive gunpowder units, but 100% retarded for archers and horse archers.
    Last edited by Lifthrasir; January 12, 2018 at 07:08 AM. Reason: Insulting part removed
    fear is helluva drug
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    “The only rule that ever made sense to me I learned from a history, not an economics, professor at Wharton. "Fear," he used to say, "fear is the most valuable commodity in the universe." That blew me away. "Turn on the TV," he'd say. "What are you seeing? People selling their products? No. People selling the fear of you having to live without their products." freakin' A, was he right. Fear of aging, fear of loneliness, fear of poverty, fear of failure. Fear is the most basic emotion we have. Fear is primal. Fear sells.” WWZ

Have you had your daily dose of fear yet? craziii

Yes a big YAWN

More sword / spear / shield and bow combat all rapped up with Warhammer esq immortal heroes no doubt, and similar (read same) army structure / units. After the two worst TW games of all, Shogun / Shogun 2, we basically now have Shogun 3 after how many years wait?? Just to capture a market for the Chinese im sure.

China should have been included in the Attila TW game, not as a standalone.

Even Thrones of Britannia sounds more interesting than this, but TOB is a SAGA game thus a sideshow and acceptable as such, this is meant to be the next MAJOR historical title.....

Its seems CA refuse to acknowledge the missing 1600's and the 30yrs war...the true first world war and Europe's most destructive to date, massed pike and shot army's, or even a remake of the best TW game to date ETW, with the only worth while naval combat yet.
    My greatest fear is that we will now get gunpowder as a sideshow SAGA game instead of a full Historical title! insistently my fav era is 'High Medieval' so im not just bias Gunpowder, but Gee we have only ever had one TW with gunpowder, ETW and that was how long ago!...NTW does not count as it was an add-on and vastly smaller in scope than ETW.

Like most disappointed,,and when it bombs CA will think there is no appetite for Historical titles anymore and spend less effort on such, rather than realising the game setting was the issue.

Sixt's Avatar Civis

So disapointed, had really looked forward for a new historical title, and for me they choose the worst setting ever. Ancient china has no interest for me, what so ever. Also had hoped for something different than an new melee oriented game.

Quote Originally Posted by craziii View Post
    warhammer series had a huge engine update. ca might have upgraded the engine even more.
    As someone who hadn't played the Warhammer games, can you explain the engine upgrades? More specifically, how did the melee combat improve?

craziii's Avatar Protector Domesticus

As someone who hadn't played the Warhammer games, can you explain the engine upgrades? More specifically, how did the melee combat improve?
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...log&highlight=

http://wiki.totalwar.com/w/Optimisation_Blog

pretty big upgrades.
    fear is helluva drug
    “The only rule that ever made sense to me I learned from a history, not an economics, professor at Wharton. "Fear," he used to say, "fear is the most valuable commodity in the universe." That blew me away. "Turn on the TV," he'd say. "What are you seeing? People selling their products? No. People selling the fear of you having to live without their products." freakin' A, was he right. Fear of aging, fear of loneliness, fear of poverty, fear of failure. Fear is the most basic emotion we have. Fear is primal. Fear sells.” WWZ

Have you had your daily dose of fear yet? craziii

Epic28's Avatar Senator

Thats more technical on the side of optimization, I believe we were both referring to gameplay mechanics within the engine upgrades. Does the melee combat still suffer from the same issues of Rome 2/ATW where they all just blob and none of the units have a mass characteristic in battle.

As far as technically optimizations go, well one would hope that the engine received various performance enhancing elements, ATW and Rome 2 were very very rough performance wise on decent PCs because they catered to the low spec consumers out there and it cratered high end users with really unfortunate bottlenecks.
    Without mercy. Without compassion. Without remorse.
    All war depends upon it.