Page 44 of 45 FirstFirst ... 19 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 LastLast
Results 861 to 880 of 895

Thread: New Historical total war era - Total War: Three Kingdoms!

  1. #861

    Default Re: New Historical total war era - Total War: Three Kingdoms!

    Quote Originally Posted by legate View Post
    I liked the blood effects in Medieval 2 that would increase the more a unit was fighting, and it wasn't overdone.
    This.

  2. #862
    King Athelstan's Avatar The Wheel of Time turns
    Citizen Gaming Staff Modding Staff

    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Nidaros
    Posts
    2,740

    Default Re: New Historical total war era - Total War: Three Kingdoms!

    Some news folks, the release is postponed until May 23rd
    Proudly under the patronage of General Brewster of the Imperial House of Hader
    Proud patron of 4zumi

    Signature by Lifthrasir




  3. #863

    Default Re: New Historical total war era - Total War: Three Kingdoms!

    Absolutely gutted, was super hype to play it. That said, this is probably better for the game in the end.

  4. #864
    legate's Avatar Campidoctor
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    1,684

    Default Re: New Historical total war era - Total War: Three Kingdoms!

    An 11-week delay? Ah well its better that they take the time to get it right.
    Last edited by legate; February 11, 2019 at 10:15 AM.


  5. #865
    PikeStance's Avatar ⚜️ Omnipresent ⚜️
    Artifex

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Shanghai
    Posts
    11,170
    Blog Entries
    8

    Default Re: New Historical total war era - Total War: Three Kingdoms!

    If you read the comments you can tell they have been reading some of the critical commentary of some of the let’s play stuff. The lighting and animation were two things mentioned the most.
    MODDERS WANTED | MY PATRONAGES
    Imperial Splendour is looking for Modders and Researchers. SEE AD HERE
    If interested, contact PikeStance(Mod Leader/Manager) or Quintus Hortensius Hortalus (Mod leader /Lead Artist)

    Under the Patronage of Omnipotent- Q | Member of the House of Wild Bill Kelso
    Patron of
    _Tataros_
    | Magister Militum Flavius Aetius | Alwyn | Lord Oda Nobunaga | Massive_attack | Hayabusa Sushi|
    Proposed the Following for PHALERA: Mangalore & sumskilz | OPIFEX: wangrin, z3n, and Swiss Halberdier


    Be all you can be and Join MODDING STAFF now! |House of Noble Discourse

  6. #866

    Default Re: New Historical total war era - Total War: Three Kingdoms!

    Delay is disappointing and relieving at the same time. Disappointing that I have to keep waiting to see how it all turns out, relieving that it's probably going to be better for it.


    Quote Originally Posted by Abdülmecid I View Post
    Actually, ESRB is so lenient that, with the exception of the Rome II gore pack, all the Total War Blood DLCs have received the same rating with that of the main game.
    This is false. Every single Total War game is rated T. Every single blood pack is rated M.

    Quote Originally Posted by PointOfViewGun View Post
    If it's necessary for immersion games before Shogun II had no immersion? I don't think so... You can't legally make it a FLC without increasing the rating. Why they don't make it a penny? You give the answer to that yourself. You paint Blood DLC as adding quite a lot which means it costs CA to develop it. Now, we can argue whether its better to price it at 1$ or 3$. I'd find that discussion pointless without having any real company information on such an issue.
    I wasn't saying that I agreed, just what the position was.

    They can legally make it FLC without increasing the rating. So long as it's technically a separate package that has to be downloaded separately, than ratings boards don't care, just like they don't care when a kid's older brother buys him GTA. It's not a matter of legality, just finance.
    My Three Kingdoms Military History Blog / Military Map Project - https://zirroxas.tumblr.com/
    Ask me a question!

  7. #867

    Default Re: New Historical total war era - Total War: Three Kingdoms!

    Quote Originally Posted by zoner16 View Post
    I wasn't saying that I agreed, just what the position was.

    They can legally make it FLC without increasing the rating. So long as it's technically a separate package that has to be downloaded separately, than ratings boards don't care, just like they don't care when a kid's older brother buys him GTA. It's not a matter of legality, just finance.
    I don't know where I said you agreed... I don't see how they can make a legal Blood FLC. The idea behind buying a package is that the credit card verifies your age. Having a separate package doesn't help that. Sure, you can use your brother's card but that is something he would have access to and regulate.
    The Armenian Issue
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/group.php?groupid=1930

    Cities: Skylines
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...ities-Skylines

    "We're nice mainly because we're rich and comfortable."

  8. #868

    Default Re: New Historical total war era - Total War: Three Kingdoms!

    Quote Originally Posted by PointOfViewGun View Post
    I don't know where I said you agreed... I don't see how they can make a legal Blood FLC. The idea behind buying a package is that the credit card verifies your age. Having a separate package doesn't help that. Sure, you can use your brother's card but that is something he would have access to and regulate.
    Since it's a digital storefront, it's gated by the age reported by your account. Unlike a patch, FLC doesn't get pushed to your game library automatically. You have to go specifically claim it.

    So if you buy a game rated T, and there's an FLC rated M, your underage account shouldn't be able to access it, even though it can play the base game. Obviously you can lie, but that applies to buying the base game too, and is just something that the ratings boards seem agnostic about.
    Last edited by zoner16; February 11, 2019 at 11:54 AM.
    My Three Kingdoms Military History Blog / Military Map Project - https://zirroxas.tumblr.com/
    Ask me a question!

  9. #869
    Huberto's Avatar Praepositus
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,242

    Default Re: New Historical total war era - Total War: Three Kingdoms!

    Quote Originally Posted by PikeStance View Post
    If you read the comments you can tell they have been reading some of the critical commentary of some of the let’s play stuff. The lighting and animation were two things mentioned the most.
    Well if all they work on are animations and lighting it's still going to be a massive disappointment. Consider the braindead AI that Darren focused on. The unit cards. Small unit sizes.The arrow trails. Big distracting white labels on the campaign map. Lack of naval or marine units.

  10. #870

    Default Re: New Historical total war era - Total War: Three Kingdoms!

    Quote Originally Posted by Huberto View Post
    Well if all they work on are animations and lighting it's still going to be a massive disappointment. Consider the braindead AI that Darren focused on. The unit cards. Small unit sizes.The arrow trails. Big distracting white labels on the campaign map. Lack of naval or marine units.
    AI was mostly functional on the stream, just not anything special and still with a few hangups that are more circumstantial (and therefore fixable) than systemic. Already went over my thoughts on naval combat. Everything else is nitpicks that barely matter.

    These games live and die off how well the standard battles look and play. They ship with that good, and everything else will be background noise.
    My Three Kingdoms Military History Blog / Military Map Project - https://zirroxas.tumblr.com/
    Ask me a question!

  11. #871
    Huberto's Avatar Praepositus
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,242

    Default Re: New Historical total war era - Total War: Three Kingdoms!

    Quote Originally Posted by zoner16 View Post
    These games live and die off how well the standard battles look and play. They ship with that good, and everything else will be background noise.
    Perhaps, but there's nothing new or interesting in the battles except the duels? Now I wouldn't know Dynasty Warriors from Fortnight, but TW3K unit sizes are comically small for a Total War game. Surely that's got to be a drain TW regulars' interest, no?

  12. #872

    Default Re: New Historical total war era - Total War: Three Kingdoms!

    Quote Originally Posted by Huberto View Post
    Perhaps, but there's nothing new or interesting in the battles except the duels? Now I wouldn't know Dynasty Warriors from Fortnight, but TW3K unit sizes are comically small for a Total War game. Surely that's got to be a drain TW regulars' interest, no?
    Standard unit size on stream was 160, so, same as most TW games in recent memory. Would I like it to be bigger? Yes, but my enjoyment is not going to be significantly decreased just because things are generally the same.

    I've recently been beta testing for Shieldwall, which is the historical overhaul mod for Thrones, and that's balanced around medium size units, which is generally less than a hundred men per unit (depending on unit type). I've found it actually pretty enjoyable, so to borrow a phrase, "it's not the size, it's how you use it."
    My Three Kingdoms Military History Blog / Military Map Project - https://zirroxas.tumblr.com/
    Ask me a question!

  13. #873
    zachman1201's Avatar Content Staff
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    US
    Posts
    264

    Default Re: New Historical total war era - Total War: Three Kingdoms!


  14. #874

    Default Re: New Historical total war era - Total War: Three Kingdoms!

    Quote Originally Posted by zoner16 View Post
    Standard unit size on stream was 160, so, same as most TW games in recent memory. Would I like it to be bigger? Yes, but my enjoyment is not going to be significantly decreased just because things are generally the same.

    I've recently been beta testing for Shieldwall, which is the historical overhaul mod for Thrones, and that's balanced around medium size units, which is generally less than a hundred men per unit (depending on unit type). I've found it actually pretty enjoyable, so to borrow a phrase, "it's not the size, it's how you use it."
    The largest battles in Anglo-Saxon England had a couple thousand men. Most were cattle raids, ambushes, or skirmishes. The times that field armies did clash, the shield walls were also not very large. I play Crucible of Kings with small unit size, because in Scotland, Ireland and Wales it's the most authentic.

    Compare and contrast with the Three Kingdoms Era in China with battles having hundreds of thousands of soldiers on each side.

  15. #875

    Default Re: New Historical total war era - Total War: Three Kingdoms!

    Quote Originally Posted by Frosted Flaker View Post
    The largest battles in Anglo-Saxon England had a couple thousand men. Most were cattle raids, ambushes, or skirmishes. The times that field armies did clash, the shield walls were also not very large. I play Crucible of Kings with small unit size, because in Scotland, Ireland and Wales it's the most authentic.

    Compare and contrast with the Three Kingdoms Era in China with battles having hundreds of thousands of soldiers on each side.
    I was more discussing my enjoyment of the battles on a pure gameplay level, but I'll touch on this too.

    Most battles of the Three Kingdoms era peaked out at some tens of thousands of men engaged. There were a lot of cases of more than a hundred thousand men mobilized for a campaign that is often erroneously referred to as a single battle. What usually happened is that these battles were often several separate battles happening over a large area, or a single engagement by part of the army that decided the fate of the rest.

    This would leave a lot of individual battles in the ballpark of the wars of the Roman era. Since I don't have a problem with the unit scale of the Rome games, I doubt I'll have too much of a problem with the unit scale of this one.

    What is more worrying to me is the arbitrary army limit and how that effects the number of forces allowed to be mobilized. That and the administrator cap might be something I look to modding out immediately.
    Last edited by zoner16; February 11, 2019 at 02:47 PM.
    My Three Kingdoms Military History Blog / Military Map Project - https://zirroxas.tumblr.com/
    Ask me a question!

  16. #876

    Default Re: New Historical total war era - Total War: Three Kingdoms!

    Quote Originally Posted by zoner16 View Post
    Since it's a digital storefront, it's gated by the age reported by your account. Unlike a patch, FLC doesn't get pushed to your game library automatically. You have to go specifically claim it.

    So if you buy a game rated T, and there's an FLC rated M, your underage account shouldn't be able to access it, even though it can play the base game. Obviously you can lie, but that applies to buying the base game too, and is just something that the ratings boards seem agnostic about.
    It really doesn't work that. Your Steam profile age is not a legal indicator. The credit card is. Sure, that can be circumvented as well, but it has much more legal value. Steam doesn't really care about the age you have on your profile. That's why it keeps asking you how old you are in various game pages.
    The Armenian Issue
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/group.php?groupid=1930

    Cities: Skylines
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...ities-Skylines

    "We're nice mainly because we're rich and comfortable."

  17. #877

    Default Re: New Historical total war era - Total War: Three Kingdoms!

    Quote Originally Posted by PointOfViewGun View Post
    It really doesn't work that. Your Steam profile age is not a legal indicator. The credit card is. Sure, that can be circumvented as well, but it has much more legal value. Steam doesn't really care about the age you have on your profile. That's why it keeps asking you how old you are in various game pages.
    I suppose I'm unfamiliar with the legal argument in that case. In most countries, game ratings aren't legally enforced and are just arbitrated by retailers, so I imagine Steam wouldn't care much in that case. I'm not sure how places like Germany verify age, since I believe they're one of the exceptions. The legal age quandaries probably wouldn't apply if it was just DLC offered for a nickle, but the finance argument would still be there.
    My Three Kingdoms Military History Blog / Military Map Project - https://zirroxas.tumblr.com/
    Ask me a question!

  18. #878
    Irishmafia2020's Avatar Senator
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Navajo Nation, Arizona USA
    Posts
    1,173

    Default Re: New Historical total war era - Total War: Three Kingdoms!

    I just came to this thread to rant about the delay.... AARRGHH! Okay... I get that this could be a good thing overall - they are trying really hard to avoid a botched RTW2 style release, and Sega seems to be letting CA decide when the game is actually "ready" to play. On the other hand - this is a lengthy delay, and I pity anyone who pre-ordered back in August! Actually I share your pain now, as I just Pre-ordered the other day, and I was counting the days until release. It is really frusterating to see an additional delay with this game, but at least it looks like they are trying to create a deeper experience in the campaign, so I hope for the best! Thanks for letting me rant...

  19. #879
    Kyffhäuser's Avatar Libertus
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    under the mountain
    Posts
    50

    Default Re: New Historical total war era - Total War: Three Kingdoms!

    Is this that Tiananmen Square game?

  20. #880
    PikeStance's Avatar ⚜️ Omnipresent ⚜️
    Artifex

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Shanghai
    Posts
    11,170
    Blog Entries
    8

    Default Re: New Historical total war era - Total War: Three Kingdoms!

    Quote Originally Posted by Huberto View Post
    Well if all they work on are animations and lighting it's still going to be a massive disappointment. Consider the braindead AI that Darren focused on. The unit cards. Small unit sizes.The arrow trails. Big distracting white labels on the campaign map. Lack of naval or marine units.
    My "list" was not exclusive. I would not bet on naval units with three months for development given the other issues mentioned. As other people have said, the units are the same. BTW, I read/heard that an army can consist up to 6 Generals, not just three. 6x6=36, four less than 40 units. Personally, I would rather 3x12, but that's me. I wonder if we can change the UI as we can for ETW/NTW and add in more units per General.

    -----

    Y'all beating the rating thing to heck. In the US the rating is voluntary. In regards to the movie, the industry voluntarily adheres to the rating system. With music, I believe is still 100% voluntary and optional. It is more of a tool to help parents. It is in CA's interest to produce games that minimize the depictions of violence. Having it as a DLC is good business sense.


    Quote Originally Posted by Irishmafia2020 View Post
    I just came to this thread to rant about the delay.... AARRGHH! Okay... I get that this could be a good thing overall - they are trying really hard to avoid a botched RTW2 style release, and Sega seems to be letting CA decide when the game is actually "ready" to play. On the other hand - this is a lengthy delay, and I pity anyone who pre-ordered back in August! Actually I share your pain now, as I just Pre-ordered the other day, and I was counting the days until release. It is really frustrating to see an additional delay with this game, but at least it looks like they are trying to create a deeper experience in the campaign, so I hope for the best! Thanks for letting me rant...
    I am with you, I had just preordered. The new release dates put it a month before the end of the school year. This means I will be writing and grading and reporting exams and grades. On an up note, the summer gives me ample time to play the game.
    MODDERS WANTED | MY PATRONAGES
    Imperial Splendour is looking for Modders and Researchers. SEE AD HERE
    If interested, contact PikeStance(Mod Leader/Manager) or Quintus Hortensius Hortalus (Mod leader /Lead Artist)

    Under the Patronage of Omnipotent- Q | Member of the House of Wild Bill Kelso
    Patron of
    _Tataros_
    | Magister Militum Flavius Aetius | Alwyn | Lord Oda Nobunaga | Massive_attack | Hayabusa Sushi|
    Proposed the Following for PHALERA: Mangalore & sumskilz | OPIFEX: wangrin, z3n, and Swiss Halberdier


    Be all you can be and Join MODDING STAFF now! |House of Noble Discourse

Page 44 of 45 FirstFirst ... 19 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •