Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Did you ever have a recurring dream/nightmare?

Kyriakos's Avatar Praeses

Default Did you ever have a recurring dream/nightmare?

Recurring dreams seem to be at least somewhat common, at least in smaller ages. You can describe yours, if you had any. Personally i had a main one, lasting for (likely) 3 years, from mid to the end of elementary school. I must have seen that dream (with many variations) at least 100 times...

Tldr (i may present it in more detail later, if the thread has any traffic/interest) it was about being chased by an unseen horror, usually running in the corridor of my house (the corridor was formed out of four right-angled straight parts, thus it could be run continuously and run again perpetually without ever going the other way; entering the first part again after you run the whole thing), or attempting to escape (from the balcony, or from the main door).

Your surname doesn't have to be Komnenos, Doukas or Palaiologos, so as to join
    the Neo-Byzantine Society: click on the immortal emblem; partake in high culture

Default Re: Did you ever have a recurring dream/nightmare?

Two come to mind; the first being a recurring character when I was really young. She was a witch, and in every dream she'd appear she would take my voice away causing me to scream loudly in my sleep. Those went away over time and I haven't come across her since, thankfully.

The second recurring dream takes place in different locations, but it's basically always the same thing happening, which is a plane crashing a few hundred meters away from me. The following scene portrays it quite accurately:
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

Sometimes it'll crash into buildings, and sometimes it'll crash into the ground at a 90 angle.

Minds are stange things.

Krieglord's Avatar Primicerius

The most memorable one is from when I was a kid and I had a dream of being trapped in a red hotel hallway which I feel was inspired by Hotel California.. the best I could describe it now was a feeling of being in purgatory though that's with hindsight, years later I found out there is a satanic reversed message in part of the song so I have to wonder https://youtu.be/WodaLlkn2cU?t=25s

Also a bit off topic but does anyone here get premonition dreams? The night before my grandfather died March, 2010 I dreamt of having to get fitted for a suit for his funeral while having no indication he would die anytime soon and then just recently in November dreamt my mother would have a heart attack then a few days later she had a mini one, she has been heavy all her life but never had any sort of serious issues regarding it before and we also aren't close which made it all the more odd.
    Last edited by Krieglord; January 13, 2018 at 04:36 PM.

Aexodus's Avatar Persuasion>Coercion

I had a recurring nightmare similar to Kyriakos where I would be running from some unseen horror but there were secret passages in my house, and secret compartments in the walls to hide in. Not exactly sure where it came from but I have a feeling it was due to the amount of Harry Potter I used to read as a child. There were some others, like one where a mummy was on the school bus (?) and one where crocodile Dundee fished from a cliff into an abyss of fire (????).

TL;DR dreams are strange places
    Patronised by Pontifex Maximus
    Check out the Post of the Fortnight Competition!
    Quote Originally Posted by mongrel View Post
    Gammon is a state of mind

Quote Originally Posted by Aexodus View Post
    I had a recurring nightmare similar to Kyriakos where I would be running from some unseen horror but there were secret passages in my house, and secret compartments in the walls to hide in. Not exactly sure where it came from but I have a feeling it was due to the amount of Harry Potter I used to read as a child. There were some others, like one where a mummy was on the school bus (?) and one where crocodile Dundee fished from a cliff into an abyss of fire (????).

Curiously i do not recall if any rooms in the house featured other (non existent in reality) passages. I think they didn't. But at times i would exit the house - either by climbing down from the balcony, and often falling to my death, or by leaving through the main door and then running like crazy on the stairs.
    Mostly i would end up dead one way or another - and only then the dream would end. One time, though, i managed to arrive at the street. I distinctly recall that i then saw it was CRAWLING with tens of monsters. So, in the end, leaving the house wasn't a solution; it just allowed the revelation that the one monster there was just my personal allotment from the hideous invasion
    the Neo-Byzantine Society: click on the immortal emblem; partake in high culture

Diamat's Avatar VELUTI SI DEUS DARETUR

I had very similar recurring dreams when I was young. A common one was being chased by a minotaur in the hallways of my house. Another one was me seeing a plane suddenly lose control and fall to the ground.

The_Forsaken's Avatar Foederatus

Quote Originally Posted by Aexodus View Post

The one about the secret compartments is very similar to several dreams I had. I used to dream of being in a version of my house that was much bigger than it really was, and I'd just explore through these musty old spaces between the walls and find all sorts of cool stuff: old books, tapestries, and lots and lots of cobwebs. There was even one where I got lost exploring and ended up living in a tower overlooking a cathedral. Either I fell asleep reading a lot in that tower before waking up IRL, or I died of hunger. But at least I died happy with a book in my hands.

Biarchus

Ive often dreamt that my family was driving home after visiting my grandmother. During the dream, i would then realise that nobody sits in the driving seat, while the car is still driving..... and no, in these Days autonomous driving was unknown

I also often dream about my Exgirlfriend.... its always nice to have a chat with someone you haven`t seen the last 8 Years.

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝

For some reason recurring themes were usually not handing in an assignment on time or being naked at school.

There were also things like missing the bus or being lost in a large city and having to wander the streets until I somehow made my way back home.

One dream that always gave me a scare was that I would be gone somewhere for a long time and when I came back everything would be completely different, to the point that it was no longer recognizable.

Also the inevitable falling from really large heights and waking up before hitting the ground.

Though not as frequent there is a dream where I would still be involved with some girl. Whenever she would grab me I would literally squirm and try to escape because I really didn't want to be with that person. The more I pushed the more she would squeeze as if she wanted to suffocate me.
    Last edited by Lord Oda Nobunaga; February 01, 2018 at 04:06 AM.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Frunk's Avatar The Duke Will Return...
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus

I've had lots of dreams about being in car crashes ever since I started driving, really. Like, I'll dream that I'm driving too fast and lose control, or that someone crashes into me at high speed while I'm stopped somewhere, or even me driving through a red light. All feel very real at the time and I sometimes have to remind myself that they didn't really happen (especially the red light ones). The crashes are graphic and I can see everything flying around me and crushing in on me.
    FrunkSpace | Mod Announcements | Colonies & Empires

Under the patronage of Iskar of the House of Siblesz. I'm proud patron of:

atthias | PaulH | Athos187

Quote Originally Posted by The_Forsaken View Post
    The one about the secret compartments is very similar to several dreams I had. I used to dream of being in a version of my house that was much bigger than it really was, and I'd just explore through these musty old spaces between the walls and find all sorts of cool stuff: old books, tapestries, and lots and lots of cobwebs. There was even one where I got lost exploring and ended up living in a tower overlooking a cathedral. Either I fell asleep reading a lot in that tower before waking up IRL, or I died of hunger. But at least I died happy with a book in my hands.
    I find this very poetic (being lost and ending up in some tower)

It also reminds me, a bit, of a nice story by Lovecraft. "The Outsider".

Yesterday i saw an interesting dream. One of the parts i recalled was about myself going to a telephone booth (which may have not even had a phone, or a working phone) and entering it so that i could use a phone i obviously had taken from my house (it was a house line, but those still transmit if you are quite close to the house), AND also finding that the phone booth had my actual -apparently lost in the dream- MOBILE phone left there.
    Seems to be about communication and different means. Pretty chaotic.

Arbitrary Crusader's Avatar Praefectus

I have one where I wake up, do routines (social, sports, errands, etc), either go to work or don't, more routines, and go to sleep.
    The dream changes at certain points where I can be a wee laddie to my first car and other events.
    I have this dream every single day. Truly I am cursed

♪ Now it's over, I'm dead and I haven't done anything that I want, or I'm still alive and there's nothing I want to do

Settra's Avatar the Imperishable
    Content Emeritus

I kept having this weird dream for while where I was in some Avengers looking building and everybody I know on TWC was there, represented by their avatar and GED showed up on the screen telling us that we have to fight some zombies.
    Under the patronage of Squid Girl. I am here, click me!

Content Emeritus

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries

These past few years I've had two recurring themes in my dreams. The first is driving. I don't drive in real life, but in my dreams I always end up in situations where I have to drive - usually in some kind of emergency. It isn't scary and it's actually quite fun for the most part; I never crash, and even though I'm not too good at it, it's very thrilling, especially when I'm on the road and no one else knows I'm not a qualified driver. It's a strange thing to keep cropping up. The second theme is my teeth falling out, and these are always very lucid dreams. I'll be eating something and then my teeth will start falling out as I'm eating. Although they look normal on the outside, inside they're hollowed out and filled with a black, powdery carbon-like kind of substance. I've never had any problems with my teeth in real life, although these dreams make me worried I should be going to the dentist more
    Reforged
    A Skyrim AAR

Otousan

Even though I've been driving since about the age of 12 I really don't like it. I have had dreams where I am inside of a car just driving non-stop and most of it is just me freaking out about crashing the vehicle.

I've also had dreams about my teeth falling out. More than once I've dreamt that my arms fell off.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Content Emeritus

Tournaments Joined
    Tournaments Won
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Oda Nobunaga View Post
    I've also had dreams about my teeth falling out. More than once I've dreamt that my arms fell off.
    Apparently it's quite common. Has something psychologically to do with the teeth you lose when you're a kid, so it's supposed to represent change or transition, and the anxiety that comes with it. Not sure about arms though
    Reforged
    A Skyrim AAR

Otousan

While it is logical to assume there are a great many layers to anything in a dream, there is the obvious metaphor, with "losing one's teeth", ie getting less able or strong or capable of eating (also metaphorically; it can allude to many things) etc. Arms falling off may also have some parallels?

I still defeat you, guys, in that i once saw in a dream that my head fell off, and then i grew a new head

Aexodus's Avatar Persuasion>Coercion

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Oda Nobunaga View Post
    You must have played too much Lego Star Wars as a kid

Patronised by Pontifex Maximus
    Check out the Post of the Fortnight Competition!
    Quote Originally Posted by mongrel View Post
    Gammon is a state of mind

I mean I had the original game on the PS2. Though the dream was a lot more horrifying than that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast