Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how to make archers shoot agaian

Default how to make archers shoot agaian

Hello I used to play darth mod with rome toatalwar and it was awesome

I began to look for mods that solved some bugs and i find that you had already begin your mod, so i tried it, and it i was having quite fun since i realized that my turk archers wern't fireing at all from walls they looked as if they were shooting at the wall before him, i realized this with naftum but i thought that it was the game itself that was bugged but then i come to the forums and saw a post complaining to it too, i thing that the idea of making the gunpowder units not able to shot from behind buldings is a good idea and not make bow units be able to shot from imposible places is a good idea too, but now they are unable to shot or do things that i thing they could, whell the question is how i make them shoot as they did before, i have only to unpack desce_projectiles.txt from the original or i have to do something else for the animations?
    And when i have them back how do i make the doors to take less to open i don't want to kill every asasulter becouse the ai is to dumb and form before the ballista towers (i noticed that with a full crusader army in line before them they make a ridiculous amount of damage, not the haboc i expected when i build them) and i think that if the archers shotted as they should the ia will take terrible losses
    Well i will try to do it myself but i am not at all an expert moder and i think that i will have a lot of problems, another questions if i make this changes will i be able to still play with my actual campaign

p.s. sorry for the spelling i am not native english speaker

Default Re: how to make archers shoot agaian

Have you checked to make sure that all the archers are'nt firing? Only the ones that have a clear line of sight are supposed to fire. The ones behind the tall part of the wall won't have a clear line of sight and will not fire.

When small men attempt great enterprises, they always end by reducing them to the level of their mediocrity.
    * Napoleon I

I will not change the arcs because they are realistic.
    To change them yourself it is a task to be heavy and in various files.
    Since now I have manipulated too much the projectiles in many ways.

The problem is not my modding now but the offset of the troops on the walls which prefer to be more behind than near the side. If there was a way to fix also this it would be perfect.

But if they have clear line of sight they will fire whatsoever and it is more realistic than mortar fire heat seeking arrows.

For doors you change the hitpoints of gates in desc_walls.txt as you like.

Yes i was not arguing with the philosophy behind the moding of the way they shoot but now the game is a bit buged and it is dificult to make them shoot, as i said i read that other threat when someone was complaining, mi point is that it is buged right now even if you tell them to make only a sigle line after the battle deployment they don't move well
    What i was saing is not you to change the way you are makeing your mod but the way to try to change them back by mayself, after checking a bit i relized that checking line by line don't knowing what files are at all reletad apart form descr_projectiles, and i was asking if i could keep the original file and if it had a distinctive code added that i have to add to the original or somthing like this, or there are some reference to the files i should keep
    If it is very complicated i can accept a don't try it, and keep plaing very happily, i like to try new ways of plaing the game and i was looking allso a better battle ai a thing that you do very well and i have enjoied in your mod for rome a lot.
    But as it is the game right now they seem to not do their work and form well in single line and such
    well i was asking becouse i where plaing the turks and the mongols should be there soon and i want them to shoot a lot
    A thing that you yes could consider is the hole in the walls (i don't know the name in english) that is very inclined downward to shoot relatively close to the enemys that aproach are aproaching, not as in vainilla totalwar becouse the walls were very tall but maybe more than it is actually, well at least it was in one i saw.
    Thank you for your time and keep your good work

I can also attest to missle units not firing. Peasant crossbows defended against a pitiful band and sent them routing. I ordered them off the wall to fire upon enemy units entering the city. They had a clear line of sight, but they would not rearm their crossbows. It was stuck on reloading with swords drawn.

is there any way to fix the ****** LOS for missile units on walls, or are the modders stuck with this?

Angel's Avatar Angeal

As for now Modders are unable to mod the issue with missle units. I believe its hardcoded and only the CA will be able to fix this. I cant wait fo 1.2 patch. Itll be even better than 1.1 .
    Under the patronage of Hader

I've also found the missile units to be difficult to use in Darth mod with the new changes to them. I hated how the crossbowmen fired before. As soon as I turned the game on and started a battle I looked at thier arc in stunned sadness, but at the moment they are also just as frustrating.

The crossbowmen/gunpoweder(I do confess I haven't played on game long enough to aquire gunpowder units) work fine in battle. They need to be in front of the infantry to fire, but they are deadly. It's a good balance, but in castle/city situations it is another story. Often I find my missile units to be uselss. They don't fire in any significant numbers. I may not know the correct way to use them with the new changes, but putting them on the walls is not achieving anything.

In my last game, a citadel was assulted. While the Spanish were battering down the gate, thier Jinetes ran up to the wall and started to fire on my archers perched there. I noticed that the majority of archer did not return fire. The Jinites seemed to be "close" enough to the wall so that the archers couldn't return fire. My archers were decimated by the ranged fire. Sadly the walls didn't seem to be much protection. With the latest build it seems as though when defending a settlement with missile troops one is at a disadvantage compared to the attacker. This strikes me as odd, as I make the assumption that the fortifications should be and added defense for me, not a hinderance.

This was all with the latest open source release.

My new campaign as milan I suppose there will be a lot of crossbows and sieges. What shall I do now?

Yah, I have the same problem as well. Archers/crossbowmen on the walls are practically useless. Even if I string them out in only one line on the walls, only one in ten seem to fire. Furthermore, it doesn't seem to align with the "gaps" in the fortifications or whatever it was I think Darth referred to.

Is there any way around it? Do other mods have the same problem?

If there is a way to offset the defenders on the wall as they are placed it would be solved but the whole enhancement cannot be altered only for this reason.

@FunatiK
    You can alter it by yourself by removing my projectiles.txt and by hand replace all new arrow projectiles names with the default "arrow" and then alter their ranges too for the old physics...hope I helped.

Darth,

Can I just replace your modded projectiles file with the unmodded one? Or will that cause problems

Ronin's Avatar Biarchus

The new projectile arcs are awesome. I don't know what you guys are talking about. I've requested DARTH VADER's permission to use them in Divided Kingdoms actually. It was just stupid the way they were firing before. Great work DARTH VADER.

"I am ronin because I serve no master.

The set of principles that denote absolute justice require no
    subordinates.
    I am a warrior of justice."
    ~ Ronin

Thorn's Avatar Artifex

Archers works fine at walls, but dont let them choose their targets, if you force them to attack they work much better than when they fire by themselves.

And Crossbows have their advantages, i have increase their ammunition to 45 (most archers have 30). Try to put them near a assault tower or ladders and let the enemy reach the walls, you could decimate a unit while they try to climb your walls

craziii's Avatar Protector Domesticus

hmm, I don't see a problem here. with how affective archers are in darth mod on walls and even more so on higher ground, why the complain? I was able to take out 40% of a sieging jihad army (mostly tier 2 + 3 infantry + jihad only units) with 5 units of archers on huge walls while the ram tries to break down my gate. I guess the gates are monstrous in this mod, the ram was doing 1% dmg per hit on my huge stone wall gate.

Hey i think its all very ok now. Its far more realistic bcoz u can still shoot units standing far from the walls. The mortar fire was ridiculous. Its good that archers cannot shoot close units, boiling oil was used for that as archers couldnt reach the target. They would have needed to stand on the top of the wall flanks and then shoot.. I like the new way of defending and what i like the most is that the gunpowder units are now same or even more useful in defence than mortar archers and crossbowmen. Great job.

I dont know what you guys I talking about with ranged units on walls. I have nothing but problems with them. Even when the enemy comes directly perpendicular to my wall, no more than 40% of the crossbowmen in a group fire at all at the approaching enemy. If the target isn't directly in front of the wall where my unit is stationed, then even fewer fire. Further, for gunpowder units on walls, barely 1 in ten seem to fire. This is the same for both DM 1.0 and 1.2.

craziii's Avatar Protector Domesticus

basically the units needs to be in view. _-_-_-_ the only archers shooting are the ones who can see the attacking units through that wall formation. so any archer with their view block by the convex part of the wall will not shoot, but they will still use the ammo I hope? if not a simple reform + shuffle n they are back in action.

edit: gun powder units don't fire on walls, I am sure lusted listed it as a bug on the new 1.1 bug list.

Wtf, musketeers are shooting for sure.
    And if u want more percent of ur units to shoot, just make the lines longer, best 2 rows. Theres a place for about 2 soldiers in 1 blank. Now it isns enough to put 10 units of archers on the walls and watch them massacring the enemy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast