Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: New Town (Carthage AAR) [updated April 3, 2021]

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Default New Town (Carthage AAR) [updated April 3, 2021]

New Town
    (Carthage AAR)

When Rome and Syracuse declared war, Carthage’s leaders had no hope of victory. The spearmen of Carthage could not hope to defeat the swordsmen of Rome. But Carthage had a plan. Instead of fighting a futile defensive campaign, they abandoned their outer colonies. We can imagine the desperate pleas for reinforcements from the defenders of Lilybaeum and Karalis as the enemies of Carthage approached. But no help came. First Lilybaeum in Sicily fell to Syracuse, then Karalis in Sardinia was taken by Rome.

The city of Carthage was founded by Phoenician migrants. In their language, they named their new home Qart-hadašt: New city. As tide of war caused their colonies to collapse like a series of sand-castles, Carthage’s leaders chose to escape. While small armies defended the city of Carthage and the remains of Carthage’s western empire, larger forces marched east to establish a Carthaginian empire in Egypt. The city of Carthage might fall, but the people of Carthage would live on.

After the fall of Carthage’s allies, the Etruscan League, Carthage was divided into eastern and western empires by invading Greeks from Syracuse. This did not distress Carthage’s leaders. Their armies knew how to endure the deserts of Africa, but their Roman and Greek enemies did not. However, the expansion of Carthage brought them into conflict with African nations such as the Blemmyes, who were equally at home in the desert. At Medjay, in the south-eastern corner of Carthage’s empire, an army of the Blemmyes invaded the new lands of Carthage – and an army of Carthage marched against them.

About this AAR

AARs often tell stories. Instead of a narrative, this AAR aims to use a 'history-book' style and to focus on strategy.

This AAR is inspired, in part, by our Tale of the Week competition. I'll aim to keep chapters within the Tale of the Week word limit (between 200 and 500 words).

This AAR is based on two Carthage campaigns. In the campaign on whichn the 2018 chapters are based, I used the following mods: Zoom All the Way Down by Re’goso, Mitch's Guaranteed Major Faction Empires, Turquoise_Falcon's A More Aggressive AI and B.Est FOE's Pikemen Start Battles with Pikes. After this, the Ancestral update for Rome II was released and I started a new Carthage campaign, without mods, to see whether the early campaign would be different. It was - in the new campaign, Rome attacked Carthage more aggressively than before, even though previously I was using a mod for more aggressive AI. Rome's invasion of north Africa was so effective that I lost my first Carthage campaign and started a new one! The 2019 chapters are based on an unmodded Carthage campaign using the Ancestral update.

Chapter Index

2018 chapters

Chapter 1

Chapter 2: The Battle of Medjay

Chapter 3: The Decision at Dimmidi

Chapter 4: The Assault on Cyrene

Chapter 5: The Faithless City

Chapter 6: As Loyal as a Libyan

Chapter 7: The Key to the West

Chapter 8: The Colour of Courage

Chapter 9: The Sons of Hiempsal

Chapter 10: The Reforms of Hiempsal

Chapter 11: The Army of Ierehei

Chapter 12: Mascarada's Mistake

Chapter 13: Only Iberians...

Chapter 14: The Road to Numantia

Chapter 15: Sword-Brothers

Chapter 16: Don't Kill Archimedes

Chapter 17: Letters from Rome

Chapter 18: The Fifth Legion

Chapter 19: The Saviour of Rome

Chapter 20: Our List of Enemies

Chapter 21: Waiting for the Plan

Chapter 22: The Dread of Deimos

Chapter 23: The Initiative

Chapter 24: From Apollonia

Chapter 25: Hunted

Chapter 26: The New Iberia

2019 chapters

Chapter 27: The Causes of the Roman Uprising

Chapter 28: The Silence in the East

Chapter 29: The Rebellion Crisis

Chapter 30: The Friend of our Enemies

Chapter 31: The Conjoined Republic

Chapter 32: The Council

Chapter 33: Two Heads, One Heart

Chapter 34: The Battle of Memphis

Chapter 35: The Battle of Five Armies

Chapter 36: The Unanswered Question

Chapter 37: Carthage Betrayed

Chapter 38: The Truth about Tolosa

Chapter 39: The Last Shophet

Chapter 40: Our Best Defence

Chapter 41: Our Former Enemies

2020 Chapters

Chapter 42: Emissary

Chapter 43: Athena's Faithful

Chapter 44: First Night in Antioch

Chapter 45: Shame

Chapter 46: The Mask of Malpomene

Chapter 47: The Winking Maiden

Chapter 48: Our Little Thermopylae

2021 chapters

Chapter 49: The Emperor's Daughter

Chapter 50: Remember Memphis
    Last edited by Alwyn; April 03, 2021 at 06:34 AM.

Axis Sunsoar's Avatar Domesticus

Default Re: New Town (Carthage AAR)

This is a great idea! I'll be following eagerly.

It's always good to come up with ideas like this to keep up one's interest in writing, and I'm glad to see there is some more work from you coming up! History book style AARs can be excellent when executed properly, and I have complete faith in your abilities. In the campaign itself, I look forward to seeing whether Carthage will be able to stand against the encroachment from Greeks across the sea, and how her armies will fair as they push further into Africa against the nations who are already familiar with the land.

Caillagh de Bodemloze's Avatar to rede I me delyte

I like this; it's an interesting start. And it's a nice change to have the different style.

Thanks, Axis and Caillagh! I'm enjoying the different style and the campaign; I'm grateful for your comments.

Chapter Two: The Battle of Medjay

The army of Carthage were outnumbered by their opponents from the desert kingdom of Blemmyes, but they had hope. Their general, Fierelus, was a son of one of the great generals who conquered Egypt for Carthage. On the night before the battle, they shared stories of the victories won by the father of Fierelus. His men were well-trained, but Fierelus had never led an army into battle before.

Fierelus had remedied his army’s lack of skirmishers. Behind his first line of Libyan spearmen marched four companies of Egyptian archers. Behind them, in the third line, were the heavy infantry, hoplites including Fierelus himself. The flanks were guarded by Carthaginian horsemen. Almost as an afterthought, Fierelus had recruited a company of young men and trained them to throw javelins. The javelin-men found themselves in the third line, marching alongside their general. Fierelus planned to hold his enemy in place with Libyan spearmen, thin their ranks with archers and break them with heavy infantry.

The army of the Blemmyes marched in a wide formation, with their warriors in two lines. The second line were spear infantry. The first line were skirmishers, mostly slingers, who outnumbered Carthage’s archers almost two to one. The slingers had a longer range and, unlike the archers, carried shields. Fierelus found that his Egyptian archers were no match for the enemy skirmishers.

Fierelus used his narrower, three-line formation to his advantage. His first line, the Libyan spearmen, charged, sending the enemy slingers running for protection behind their second line of spear infantry. Now, the slingers were vulnerable to the Carthaginian cavalry. The Carthaginian horsemen rode in a circle around the battle, charging companies of slingers. Then they retreated quickly behind the Carthaginian infantry, avoiding the Blemmyes spearmen before returning to attack again.

When Fierelus saw that his Libyan spearmen were heavily outnumbered, he sent three of his four companies of Carthaginian hoplites to hold the line. On the left flank, the Libyan spearmen were charged by a fierce band of Kushite shieldwomen. Now, the narrow formation of Carthage was a disadvantage. Encouraged by the ferocious attack of the shieldwomen, more Blemmyes spear infantry ran to join the attack. As his main line was being outflanked, Fierelus led his own company of hoplites into melee. But three companies of enemy spearmen were approaching his hoplites.

Now, his only reserves were the javelin-men. They threw their javelins into the right flank of the charging enemies, at close range. Volley after volley inflicted heavy losses on the enemy.

When the surviving warriors of the Blemmyes saw that their skirmishers had been scattered and their flank attack had failed, they began to break and run. The first battle of Fierelus was a victory, one in which his humble javelin-men brought down more of the enemy than any of his other companies.

Last edited by Alwyn; September 14, 2019 at 11:35 AM. Reason: Restoring pictures which disappeared when tinypic.com closed down

Default Re: New Town (Carthage AAR) [updated January 13, 2018]

An interesting innovative idea to use Tale of the week limits .Its good to see a new aar from you .
    Its partially like my EU4 Grenada trick where i establish colonies elsewhere to migrate to ,when Spain does the reconquista .

Plus its always good to see black African starring battles .You can go this amazing person below if you want any help regarding descriptions of the Nubians and Kushites and Moors .
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/membe...inusLinothorax
    100% mobile poster so pls forgive grammer

I like the way you've done that - sneakily hiding the javelin-men in with your list of all the other changes to the army so we wouldn't notice they'd be vital to the outcome of the battle.

The description of the battle is nice, too. And I like the screenshots!

Quote Originally Posted by Caillagh de Bodemloze View Post
    I like the way you've done that - sneakily hiding the javelin-men in with your list of all the other changes to the army so we wouldn't notice they'd be vital to the outcome of the battle.

The description of the battle is nice, too. And I like the screenshots!
    I found the strategy to be quite the opposite: in a five-hundred word update, when two entire sentences are dedicated to the recruitment of one unit, something must be up! Especially since it was made very clear that the general only recruited them as an "afterthought"

Another great update, it genuinely does feel like reading the descriptions of a battle that might be found in a military historical text that was trying to cover a lot of ground, enough detail to gain a general understanding of how the battle unfolded, but without the minutiae that might might be found in specific analysis of a given battle, or the characterization that is necessary in historical fiction. Simply put, it's a nice, clean style and makes for a lovely change of pace, excellent addition!

Thanks, mad orc, Caillagh and Axis for your kind comments. I was impressed with the javelin-men, so I enjoyed highlighting their contribution. (Axis, that is what I was aiming for)!

Chapter Three: The Decision at Dimmidi

The republic of Carthage was now divided between east and west. Bubal, a general of Carthage, was in the port city of Iol in Mauretania considering his options. Desperate pleas for reinforcements arrived from the last outpost of Carthage in Hispania, but Bubal could spare no help. Masaesyli raiders were marching freely through western Carthaginian lands, taking everything they wanted. An expedition from the eastern lands of Carthage, sent to liberate the city of Cydamus in western Phazania, had failed. This defeat triggered a crisis which threatened to bring down the republic of Carthage.

The expedition to Cydamus had been commanded by the leader of the Hannonids, a powerful family who governed the Libyan province of Carthage in the east. The leader of the Hannonids had died at the gate of an enemy fort, leading his warriors. The heir of the Hannonids blamed the ruling Barcid family for the loss of his father. He was a power-hungry patriot, angry that the Barcid Dynasty had failed to prevent the armies of the Masaesyli, Lusitani and Syracuse from entering Carthaginian lands. Among the Hannonids, there was talk of secession from Carthage.

Bubal commanded the largest army in western Carthaginian lands. He led them south from Iol to Dimmidi, planning to attack the Masaesyli raiders. But when he arrived at Dimmidi, he heard that the Hannonids had broken away to form a new Adirim republic. Now, the eastern and western lands of Carthage were divided by both Syracuse and the secessionists of Adirim. More bad news arrived: a Lusitani force had crossed the sea and was approaching the port of Iol.

Carthage’s generals had been ordered to defend the republic’s borders and liberate the regions which had been lost to Syracuse and the Adirim. Bubal realised that he had no way to achieve both goals. The decision was difficult. Would Bubal keep his army in the west to protect Carthage’s borders, or march east to defeat the secessionists?

He could march back to Iol, but then he would be in between the Lusitani on the coast and the Masaesyli raiders inland. If he remained in the west, his army would face constant attacks from the forces of the Masaesyli, Lusitani and Syracuse.

His other option was to go east. In the eastern lands of Carthage, following the victory at Medjay, Carthage had occupied the lands of the Blemmyes and was at peace with the Seleucids. If he went east, then the western lands might fall – but at least Carthage would survive, if the secessionists of Adirim could be defeated.

Bubal made his decision. His army would go east. Their first goal was to fulfil the mission of the previous expedition, to liberate Cydamus. After that, they would pass the friendly nation of Libya and take back the lands of the Adirim secessionists. If the western lands of Carthage could not be defended, then he would secure Carthage’s future in the east – if he could.
    Last edited by Alwyn; September 14, 2019 at 11:42 AM. Reason: Restoring pictures

Default Re: New Town (Carthage AAR) [updated January 20, 2018]

A new Alwyn AAR, bow-wow! Great first chapters, with interesting strategies at hand. And the rather detailed political background with only a few words is done well. It really does feel like a history book stylish text and I like where this is going so far! I wonder if the second expedition will be (or was!) blessed with more luck than the first one...

Bubal seems to have had a difficult choice to make there. I wonder what other armies the western Carthaginians have, and where they are. It seems they won't be able to defend western Carthage, but might they be able to help Bubal's army?

I'm looking forward to hearing what happens next. And thank you for the map!

Thanks, TSK and Caillagh! It's good to hear that the history-book style is working and that the difficulty of Bubal's choice came across. (Caillagh wondered about other Carthaginian armies. As you'll see in the next chapter, after the secession of the lands controlled by the Hannonid family, Carthage can no longer afford other large armies - units have been disbanded across Carthage's territories.)

Chapter Four: The Assault on Cyrene

Before the secession, an army of Carthage attacking a coastal city could have been supported by Carthage’s navy. Now, Carthage’s warships lay abandoned and rotting. Before, an army of Carthage on a difficult mission could have been reinforced. Now, the last large army of Carthage marched alone against the city of Cyrene: no reinforcements were coming. When the Hannonid family broke away from Carthage to form a separate Adirim republic, they deprived Carthage of one of its richest provinces. The treasury was starved of funds. The frontiers were defended by a few companies of spearmen, a shadow of Carthage’s former strength.

The People’s Army led by Bubal were veterans of the continuing wars against the many enemies of Carthage in the west – Rome, Syracuse, the Lusitani and the Masaesyli. This army marched to storm the walls of Cyrene, the capital of the separatist Adirim republic. Ammonium and Augila, the other cities which broke away from Carthage, had been easy to recapture. But Cyrene had high walls and towers. Carthage’s last large army was attacking a bigger force in a strong defensive position.

Carthage could no longer afford a navy, but the secessionists did have ships. They used them, sending javelin-men to land behind the lines of the People’s Army.

Fortunately, Bubal reacted in time. He led his bodyguard horsemen and a company of Carthaginian cavalry to intercept the javelin-men.

This diversionary attack by the defenders of Cyrene reduced the strength of Bubal’s main attack on the city walls. As Carthage was starved of funds, the People’s Army had few ballistae – just enough to bring down one of the towers defending a city gate.

Secessionists and loyalists fought hard for control of the city wall; while this fighting continued, arrow fire from the remaining towers took a steady toll on Bubal’s infantry.

Eventually, Bubal’s hoplites forced the defenders back, into the city. Bubal led his army into Cyrene. The secessionists had surprises waiting: first ballistae and hoplites, then a final line of defenders including elephants. Archers could have brought them down, but most of Bubal’s archers had been killed in the fighting for the city wall. Only the indomitable fighting spirit of his hoplites - and the fact that their spears were suitable for fighting this terrifying foe – enabled Bubal to prevail.

While the People’s Army recaptured the lands which had broken away in the east, Carthage’s foes advanced in the west. The Lusitani took Carthage’s last city in Iberia and the port of Iol in Africa. The costly victory at Cyrene had saved Carthage from ruin, but where should the battered People’s Army march next? If they went west, they would be surrounded by enemies. To the north was the overwhelming might of Rome. Eastwards was the Seleucid Empire which was friendly – at least for now - and south-east was the African kingdom of Meroe.
    Last edited by Alwyn; September 14, 2019 at 11:48 AM. Reason: Restoring pictures

Default Re: New Town (Carthage AAR) [updated January 27, 2018]

A nail-biting update! Carthage seems to have been placed in dire straits by the actions of the rebels. It's good to see that they have been stopped, but the people's army has certainly been left in an unenviable position. Looking forward to the next steps!

Welsh Dragon's Avatar Content Staff

I'm really enjoying this. The history book style writing works very well for the story you are telling. The pictures, especially the annotated maps, really add to both the history book feel and the readers comprehension of what's going on. And the story itself is an interesting one, with Carthage really on the back foot and beset by enemies.

It's also nice to see the new politics system creating interesting gameplay, twists and story developments. The challenge of a divided Carthage facing the might of Rome and Syracuse would be an interesting story in its own right, but to then have a secession on top of that adds a whole new element to the story (especially the impact on the Carthaginian finances and military.)

I look forward to reading more. Great stuff!

All the Best,

Welsh Dragon.

I agree with Welsh on the thing that you have done the political system well .Almost feels like a Ck2 game .
    So which option will Carthage take now .
    Will you ever attempt a conquest of inner Africa like Ethiopia or modern day Sudan .

Thanks, Axis, Welsh Dragon and mad orc! Axis is right, the People's Army were in a difficult position (not for the last time). Welsh Dragon - yes, the secession caused by the new politics system added a good twist (I need to keep track of which family leader commands which army - I didn't realise that I was losing the leader of the Hannonids in the doomed attack on Cydamus). mad orc - yes, Carthage's generals did consider attacking an African kingdom, as you can see in the next chapter...

Chapter Five: The Faithless City

After the defeat of the secessionists at Cyrene, Carthage began to rebuild her ruined economy. Ambitious Carthaginian generals marched east, hoping to emulate their predecessors who had conquered Egypt. As Carthage’s economy revived, so did her intelligence network. Spies reported that the African kingdom of Meroe was wealthy, had no allies and was suffering from poor harvests. Carthage’s generals saw an opportunity and attacked.

The hoplites of Carthage were impressed by the size of the capital city of Meroe. Its walls and towers seemed to go on forever, but they were defended by few warriors. A surprise attack on their flank didn’t stop Carthage’s hoplites from taking the city. Behind the walls of Meroe, they found streets of skilled artisans and market squares. The craftsmen of Meroe had learned how to fuse glass onto pottery and jewellery; the enamel-work of Meroe was soon in high demand across Carthage.

When Carthage took the remaining Meroe city of Aksum, they found another source of Meroe’s wealth: gold mines. With this new wealth, Carthage’s armies could afford mercenaries. Kushite shieldwomen were swift runners, able to make sudden flank attacks. Sabean archers began to fill the gap left by the deaths of many Egyptian archers in the assault on Cyrene. Numidian cavalry could hurl javelins, disrupting enemy formations.

When a Seleucid army approached their border with Carthage, the People’s Army marched towards the border in case this was a prelude to attack. The Seleucid army moved back from the border, but Carthage now saw the Seleucids as a potential threat. Merchants who sailed around the Arabian Peninsula reported that the kingdoms there were being conquered by the Seleucids and their satrapies. The Seleucids already controlled a city on the coast of Egypt; if war began, they might invade eastern Carthage from there. The Seleucids were powerful, war with them would be dangerous.

While Carthage’s principal armies went east, Carthage’s enemies continued to advance in the west. The western lands of Carthage were falling. The Masaesyli sent armies to attack Dimmidi. Syracuse sent an army to re-take Thapsis, south of the city of Carthage. Dimmidi and Thapsis fell, despite brave resistance from Carthaginian hoplites garrisoned there. The Lusitani were thrown back from the north African coast by rebellions – an opportunity for Carthage, perhaps?

Before, when Carthage’s outer colonies had begged for reinforcements, the city of Carthage had abandoned them. Carthage’s leaders had believed that any attempt to defend the colonies would only delay their inevitable loss – and would have left the capital vulnerable. Now, the city of Carthage itself was isolated and surrounded. If the city sent messengers calling for help, would the armies of Carthage march to their aid? The Carthaginian people remembered that the city of Carthage did not keep the faith when its colonies were under attack – no help was sent. The people called their capital ‘the Faithless City’. The people wondered why the Faithless City should expect help, now it was in danger.

Last edited by Alwyn; September 14, 2019 at 11:50 AM. Reason: Restoring pictures

Welsh Dragon's Avatar Content Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Alwyn View Post
    Thanks, Axis, Welsh Dragon and mad orc! Axis is right, the People's Army were in a difficult position (not for the last time). Welsh Dragon - yes, the secession caused by the new politics system added a good twist (I need to keep track of which family leader commands which army - I didn't realise that I was losing the leader of the Hannonids in the doomed attack on Cydamus). mad orc - yes, Carthage's generals did consider attacking an African kingdom, as you can see in the next chapter...
    Funnily enough, that's basically how my first Secession happened. Though in my case the other party leader's army was the only force that I could move to defend a city. What I didn't know was how many armies the AI was going to bring to bear in that one part of the map... ouch. (And this was vanilla. ) So one dead army and its general later, and some very irate party members (including my main military recruitment centre) had decided to split off and form it's own faction.

As for the story, another great chapter. Interesting to see Carthage start to face the consequences of its earlier drastic actions. Looking forward to seeing where this goes next.

All the Best,

Welsh Dragon.

Quintus Hortensius Hortalus's Avatar Lex duodecim tabularum
    Citizen

Default Re: New Town (Carthage AAR) [updated February 3, 2018]

Great AAR! I wonder wether Carthage will fall. On the map it looks like a pretty helpless situation.
    And the AAR is well written, I found it most interesting to read it.

Under the patronage of wangrin my workshop

Tigellinus's Avatar Citizen

Very interesting, Alwyn! I always love reading about Carthage.

Your take on it is certainly intriguing, and I'm enjoying this reading very much!

Subscribed!

Kind regards,

Tigellinus

Proudly under the patronage of McScottish

Fast and good .I wonder if you have enough men to spare for the Seleucids .

'The Faithless City'. Well, there's a lesson there about how to treat your allies!

Great updates, as always. I'm glad Carthage has survived this far, but it looks as if things could still go wrong fairly easily.

Page 1 of 13 1234567891011 ... LastLast