Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: New Town (Carthage AAR) [updated April 3, 2021]

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Default Re: New Town (Carthage AAR) [updated May 13, 2018]

Quote Originally Posted by Admiral Van Tromp View Post
    The battle was well-written, but I especially enjoyed the first paragraphs about the life in Syracuse before the attack. It was nice seeing the impact of the story's events from another perspective.
    Thanks! I like reading about different perspectives too and I'm glad it worked. There's another new perspective in the next chapter.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkan View Post
    Good update, though this is just the first battle against the Greek city-state so close to home. Wait until you reach its walls. Glad to have contributed to the story, though once the Carthaginian forces will be under fire from Archimedes' war machines, the feeling might change. Nice touch with the Iberian refugees to the island, I wonder whether Syracuse will field some of them as mercenaries against you.
    Thanks, again, for inspiring the title of the last chapter! Syracuse has indeed survived this Carthaginian attack, but they might not be sending their soldiers against the targets which we would expect.

Quote Originally Posted by Turkafinwë View Post
    Nice first victory over the Greeks. I wonder if this unknown cloaked figure will rival Mascarada in the end? Guess I'll have to keep following to find out. Keep it up!
    Thanks, we'll find out the identify of the cloaked figure (the commander of Carthage's main army in Sicily and southern Italy) in the next chapter. His achievements might rival those of Mascarada.

Quote Originally Posted by theSilentKiller View Post
    Finally caught up on this. Great ao far, obviously Carthage has been making good progress recently, and this first battle against the Greek will surely not be the last (And hoepfully not be the last victory!)
    Thanks! There might be more battles against Greek city-states to come. The Greek city states of Athens and Macedon have built empires (as you'll see in the map in the next chapter), although they are trading with Carthage so they aren't an immediate threat.

Quote Originally Posted by NorseThing View Post
    I do like the tie-in to our more recent history as refugees seem to be always a part of war torn regions. The detail about how the invasion started with the light infantry with ballista naval support is a good touch to real war as well. Even in WWII D-Day -- it started with light infantry and supported by naval bombardment.
    Thanks NorseThing, I was thinking of the historical parallels as I wrote that chapter.

Quote Originally Posted by Tigellinus View Post
    Fantastic to see this continuing, Alwyn!

I very much am enjoying Carthage's return to power, and the invasion of Syracuse!
    Thanks, yes Carthage is doing well after its difficult days, but there will be more challenges ahead.
    Last edited by Alwyn; May 20, 2018 at 03:55 PM.

Default Re: New Town (Carthage AAR) [updated May 13, 2018]

Chapter 17: Letters from Rome

From Spurius Libo, Admiral of the Third Fleet and consul of Rome, to Lucius Norbanus, commander of the garrison at Brundisium.

Your request for reinforcements is denied. Messengers who went east to recall the Sixth and Seventh Legions from their expedition to Side and Iconium have not returned. A captured Macedonian spy claimed that the legions are surrounded and unable to break out from their current location.

I understand that you are in a difficult position, now that our allies in Syracuse have surrendered and become a client state of Carthage. However, the legions in north-eastern Italy cannot be sent south, to defend Brundisium against the army of Passaris of Carthage. Our north-eastern legions must remain where they are, to hold back the armies of Athens and the barbarians who are trying to break through our defences.

In the north-west, the Ninth Legion marches against the army of Mascarada of Carthage. I hope for the best, but we must prepare for the worst. Scouts have reported that Mascarada’s army is very different from the traditional forces of hoplites and javelin-men which Carthage relied on in the past. The reforms of Gaius Marius have transformed Rome’s armies, but Carthage have introduced reforms of their own. In their front rank, instead of poorly equipped Libyan spearman, they have disciplined Libyan swordsmen whose equipment makes them look like legionaries.

The army of Passaris of Carthage, which subjugated Syracuse and seized Cosentia, is a traditional Carthaginian force, armed with spears and javelins. They could only force Syracuse to surrender because of support from a fleet. The Roman navy will prevent this from happening at Brundisium. Your legionaries should be sufficient to defeat the rabble which Passaris will bring to your gates. Destroy the invaders for Rome!

From Spurius Libo to Gaius Scaurus, commander of the garrison at Velathri.

Thank you for your letter, cousin. Your idea might work. If we can manufacture evidence that Carthage plans a treacherous attack on Athens, Macedon and the Seleucids, then our enemies could be divided and Rome might survive.

I must inform you that the Ninth Legion has been destroyed by the army of Mascarada of Carthage. Genua has fallen. Your garrison are now the only force standing between Mascarada and Rome.
    If Velathri falls, do not go to Rome – take a ship to Alalia.

Gnaeus Fubus, the general commanding the Ninth Legion, was demanding the pay, food and equipment for a legionary army. But he was recruiting from the slums of Medhlan, not the barracks! Many of his infantry were untrained plebeians, not legionaries. He was selling weapons and armour to wealthy families, to equip their bodyguards, enriching himself at the expense of the Republic. The Senate will confiscate his family’s estates. If he or any member of his family flees to Velathri, you are to arrest them and send them to Rome under guard.

Turkafinwë's Avatar The Sick Baby Jester
    Content Emeritus

Default Re: New Town (Carthage AAR) [updated May 20, 2018]

Great chapter but my god the bordergore is real. Anyway it seems Rome is on the back foot with the defeat of the Ninth Legion and the way to Rome that unprotected. It looks like Passaris and Mascarada will have a race for Rome like the Allies and the Soviets had for Berlin in the second World War.

I love the change of perspective to the Romans very much. +rep

Quintus Hortensius Hortalus's Avatar Lex duodecim tabularum
    Citizen

Well the strategic situation for Rome couldn't have been worse I guess the next chapter is "The fall of Rome" if not something surprising happens. Oh and the letters from the enemy are a great twist, I love the idea

Under the patronage of wangrin my workshop

Like the other readers, and as I said in the last chapter, I enjoy this change in perspective. I'm looking forward to learning more about Passaris.

Great chapter but my god the bordergore is real. Anyway it seems Rome is on the back foot with the defeat of the Ninth Legion and the way to Rome that unprotected. It looks like Passaris and Mascarada will have a race for Rome like the Allies and the Soviets had for Berlin in the second World War.

I love the change of perspective to the Romans very much. +rep
    Thanks! Yes, parts of the campaign map patchwork quilt of different nations. I wonder if the aggressive AI mod I'm using is contributing to this (factions are more likely to attack enemies and less likely to defend their homelands). You're right, the race is on for Rome between Passaris and Mascarada.

Quote Originally Posted by Quintus Hortensius Hortalus View Post
    Well the strategic situation for Rome couldn't have been worse I guess the next chapter is "The fall of Rome" if not something surprising happens. Oh and the letters from the enemy are a great twist, I love the idea
    Thank you! Yes, Rome is caught between the armies of Athens and Macedon in the east, the barbarians in the north and Carthage in the south and west.

Quote Originally Posted by Admiral Van Tromp View Post
    Like the other readers, and as I said in the last chapter, I enjoy this change in perspective. I'm looking forward to learning more about Passaris.
    Thanks, I'm enjoying the different perspective too and it's likely that we'll hear more of this promising new Carthaginian general in future.

Chapter 18: The Fifth Legion

Appius Blaesus realised that he had no choice. He had to lead his Fifth Legion outside the walls of Rome, to meet the army of the Carthaginian general Mascarada as he approached from the north. The news from the south was bad, too. Passaris, another Carthaginian general, had seized Cosentia and Brundisium. Neapolis, a port near Rome, sent a desperate plea for reinforcements as the army of Passaris approached. Appius Blaesus ignored this request. He would not throw away the only legion able to defend the capital in a futile gesture. The Fifth Legion was a small force; he needed an army capable of victory – and a plan.

If the Fifth Legion waited in Rome, they would be caught in between two Carthaginian armies. Appius Blaesus realised that he must defeat Mascarada before Passaris could reach Rome. Mascarada was the bigger threat. He was a veteran who had led his army to victory after victory. But how could Appius Blaesus win? He drank wine with his uncle, a senator.

“How many of Rome’s garrison cohorts will the Senate give me?” Appius Blaesus asked.

“Tell them you demand all five legionary cohorts and all of the vigiles, velites, old soldiers and boys in training who are capable of marching to war,” replied the senator.

Appius Bleasus realised that his Fifth Legion, with Rome’s garrison, could defeat Mascarada’s army. The senator told him of the tactics which Rome’s allies in Iberia had used to defeat Mascarada’s father.

“Carthaginians are disciplined in defence,” said the senator. “But if you can draw them into attacking, they will be scattered – and vulnerable to a counter-attack from a disciplined force, like five cohorts of legionaries.”

The Fifth Legion’s scouts reported that Mascarada’s army was in a strong defensive position on a tree-lined ridge. Now, Appius Blaesus had the army he needed – and a plan. The vanguard of the Fifth Legion – spearmen and rabble with swords whose red tunics made them look like proper Roman soldiers – would charge the Carthaginians on the ridge.

When the vanguard broke, as they inevitably would, Mascarada would order his army forward, to destroy the second line of the Fifth Legion. Then, the legionaries of Rome’s garrison would arrive.

Having been drawn out from the safety of the tree-lined ridge, the Carthaginian infantry would be exposed to Roman javelins. Carthage’s line, in disorder because of their pursuit of fleeing enemies, would be smashed into ruin by the five legionary cohorts.

As Appius Blaesus predicted, Mascarada’s army was drawn out from the safety of the wooded ridge by the retreat of the Roman vanguard. But, when the velites began their attack, the Carthaginian cavalry charged, scattering the Roman javelin-men to the four winds.

While the cavalry attacked, Mascarada’s infantry re-formed their line. Mascarada has learned from his father’s defeat in Iberia, realised Appius Blaesus. The legionary cohorts suffered many losses from Mascarada’s ballistae and javelin-men. When Mascarada’s infantry charged, it was Rome’s legionary cohorts who were broken.

Caillagh de Bodemloze's Avatar to rede I me delyte

Default Re: New Town (Carthage AAR) [updated May 28, 2018]

It doesn't seem to be going well for Rome...

(Is that a sunset - symbolic of the sunset of Rome - we can see in the screenshots? )

Tigellinus's Avatar Citizen

Indeed, Rome looks as if the Eternal City is about to take its last breath! XD

Great Chapter Alwyn!

Kind regards,

Tigellinus

Proudly under the patronage of McScottish

Hmmm, the Carthaginians have been drawn out and are attacking but that's not how it was supposed to go for Rome... good for Carthage though

Content Emeritus

A decisive victory against the Fifth Legion. It seems the last hours of Rome have arrived or will a miracle save them from certain destruction?

Again Alwyn, you deliver a wonderful chapter to this story!

Darkan's Avatar Senator

I feel this is/was a good news/bad news situation. I'm waiting for the bad news.
    [DLV 6.2 AAR] - The Danish House of Hen - updated 20/08/18 - on hold
    [King of Dragon Pass AAR] - The Drakkar Saga - updated 14/04/18 - on hold
    Participate in the TotW!!! PARTICIPATE!!!
    DuckDuckGo

NorseThing's Avatar Primicerius

Did the Senate give it's full support? If not, are there new cohorts to rise and give new hope for Rome?

In any case, the Senator's advice on what weakness could result in a Roman victory was wise, even if in this case it did not succeed. The problem was more a lack of reinforcements for the Fifth Legion during the battle and not the strategy and tactics used with the resources available.

Next chapter? The Sacking of Rome? I hope for something else.

Quote Originally Posted by Caillagh de Bodemloze View Post
    It doesn't seem to be going well for Rome...

(Is that a sunset - symbolic of the sunset of Rome - we can see in the screenshots? )
    Thanks, I like your idea of the sunset symbolising the end for Rome and wish that I had thought of that!

Quote Originally Posted by Tigellinus View Post
    Indeed, Rome looks as if the Eternal City is about to take its last breath! XD

Great Chapter Alwyn!
    Thanks Tigellinus! Yes it does seem that way, even though Rome's Senate is desperate to find a way for Rome to survive.

Quote Originally Posted by theSilentKiller View Post
    Hmmm, the Carthaginians have been drawn out and are attacking but that's not how it was supposed to go for Rome... good for Carthage though
    Thanks, you're right, Rome's plan didn't work out as the commander of the Fifth Legion expected.

A decisive victory against the Fifth Legion. It seems the last hours of Rome have arrived or will a miracle save them from certain destruction?

Again Alwyn, you deliver a wonderful chapter to this story!
    Thank you, Turkafinwë, yes, this was decisive victory and it would take a miracle to save Rome now.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkan View Post
    I feel this is/was a good news/bad news situation. I'm waiting for the bad news.
    Thank you - well said, Darkan, yes, there is bad news for Carthage ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by NorseThing View Post
    Did the Senate give it's full support? If not, are there new cohorts to rise and give new hope for Rome?

In any case, the Senator's advice on what weakness could result in a Roman victory was wise, even if in this case it did not succeed. The problem was more a lack of reinforcements for the Fifth Legion during the battle and not the strategy and tactics used with the resources available.

Next chapter? The Sacking of Rome? I hope for something else.
    Thanks, yes, the Senate sent the entire garrison of Rome to support the Fifth Legion (as you said, they could have contributed more if they arrived earlier.) Yes, the Senator's advice was good, the plan could have worked. Looking back at the latest chapter, I realise that Mascarada's tactics here were inspired by a perceptive comment you made on Chapter 12, when you said that Mascarada's father made the error of attacking on high ground with a disorganised force. (You were right. The Carthaginian army had become disorganised by defeating the first of two enemy armies, the Carthaginian units were still scattered when the second army struck.) Your comment made me think about the lessons Mascarada would learn from the defeat of his father. In chapter 18, Mascarada showed what he'd learned. This time, after defeating the first of two enemy armies, the Carthaginian infantry re-formed the line and achieved victory. Thank you for your perceptive comments, then and now! We'll see whether the Sack of Rome can be avoided in the next chapter.

Chapter 19: The Saviour of Rome

For generations, the Senate of Rome had sent armies and conquered peoples. The lands of the Samnites, the Etruscans, the Venetii, the Ligurians, the Insubres and the Dalmatae all became Roman. Their children grew up as Romans, not barbarians, and some served in Roman armies. It seemed that Rome was destined for greatness and glory.

The Senate had expected that the Wars of Alexander’s Successors would leave the Greek states divided and vulnerable. Instead, a Triple Alliance had formed between the Seleucid Empire, Macedon and Athens. Smaller states such as Persia, Sardes and Sparta were drawn into this web of alliances, through trade or military necessity. Carthage’s trade treaty with the Seleucids secured their eastern border for two generations and avoided conflict with this growing alliance. Rome was not so lucky. When Rome found itself under attack from Macedon and Athens, Rome’s armies fought bravely to defend the frontier, but struggled to push into enemy territory.

The Senate’s decision to send two legions from southern Italy in a surprise attack, bypassing Greece and attacking Macedonian colonies in southern Turkey, was a bold gamble. Initially, the Sixth and Seventh Legions were successful, taking the cities of Side and Iconium. But the legions found themselves under siege from enemy armies, unable to break out and return home.

The absence of two legions from southern Italy opened the door to Carthage’s attack from the south, led by Passaris. In the north, most Roman legions were holding back the advancing armies of Athens. This allowed Carthage’s great general, Mascarada, to reach Rome. The Fifth Legion fought hard to defeat Mascarada before Passaris arrived, but the legion was destroyed.

Appius Blaesus, general of the Fifth Legion, had intended to save Rome by defeating Mascarada’s army and then the army of Passaris in two separate battles. By leading his legion and Rome’s garrison outside the city’s walls, he spared the city from a siege. He couldn’t prevent Rome from falling, but his actions avoided the cruel vengeance of soldiers who have fought their way through a breach in a city wall. With no remaining garrison, the Eternal City sent emissaries to agree terms of surrender.

Rome’s Senate preserved their national identity in the only way they could. Becoming a client state of Carthage was humiliating, but at least their children would grow up as Romans, not Carthaginians. Rome’s Senate and leading families moved to the port of Alalia on the island of Corsica. Senators in exile dreamed of the Roman empire which might have been.

In Alalia, news arrived of growing tension between Carthage and the Triple Alliance of Athens, Macedon and the Seleucids. Trade disputes led to attacks on ships belonging to Carthage’s other client states, Libya and Syracuse. In response to these attacks, Carthage ended its treaties with Triple Alliance nations. When Syracuse fell to Macedon and Libya declared war on the Triple Alliance, Carthage faced a new crisis.

Content Emeritus

Default Re: New Town (Carthage AAR) [updated June 2, 2018]

A wonderful chapter! How the mighty have fallen. The shame the Romans must have at their defeat against the Carthagenians must be unbearable. Exiled to an island and in service of their ancient foe. But was it a smart move of Carthage to allow the survival of this warlike people instead of completely annihilating them. Only time will tell I guess. And now war with the Triple Alliance in a West vs East scenario. Consider myself intrigued on how this all is going to play out.

Darkan's Avatar Senator

Yup, bad news, and boy is it bad. A three-headed Hydra. So, what will Carthage do: go for the head/s or for the limbs? Historically, Spartan generals led Carthaginian armies...Xanthippos I believe was the name.
    [DLV 6.2 AAR] - The Danish House of Hen - updated 20/08/18 - on hold
    [King of Dragon Pass AAR] - The Drakkar Saga - updated 14/04/18 - on hold
    Participate in the TotW!!! PARTICIPATE!!!
    DuckDuckGo

Macedonian colonies in southern Turkey
    Oh, did the Turks already conquer Anatolia? They will prove a force to be reckoned with!

The eagle has fallen - but with dignity, not having to face some Sacco di Roma stuf. The Carthaginians known their business! But no rest for them - I wonder how they will face this strong alliance. Rome surely will prove to be a valuable subject and it's armies important assets. Carthage could use it's navies to prevent naval invasions, maybe destroy armies on the sea and send the Greeks to their beloved Poseidon, while marching into Seleucid territory on land. But who knows, I am positive that Carthage will not act too hastily.

NorseThing's Avatar Primicerius

Ah!!! It is true as it was written -- the enemies of your enemies are my friends. How quickly that changes without the common enemy. It is now a Carthage problem to deal with the 'Triple Alliance'. If only Carthage had a good Roman Legion to set forth against the future foes of Carthage -- or maybe they have two if the client state of old Rome is willing in the form of what remains of the Sixth and Seventh Legions. But alas, potential allies under seige are a bit like potential enemies over the horizon. Mythical.

With broken treaties and severed trade agreements, Carthage must now attend to her own threats from the east. Will all three be enemies? Will Carthage find a potential friend among the the perceived potential enemies?

Oooh, this is good so far! I like the style and the simple yet comprehensive way you're approaching it all. I came at this late and have only just read the first two chapters, but I will try to catch up over the coming week so that I can follow you as you go forward. If I have any specific comments or thoughts as I move through I will add more comments below. In the meantime, keep it up!
    | Community Creative Writing
    | My Library
    | My Mapping Resources
    | My Nabataean AAR for EBII
    | My Ongoing Creative Writing