Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: New Town (Carthage AAR) [updated April 3, 2021]

Alwyn's Avatar Frothy Goodness
    Content Director Patrician Citizen

Default Re: New Town (Carthage AAR) [updated April 7, 2018]

Quote Originally Posted by Admiral Van Tromp View Post
    I'm liking the gradual focus on Mascarada. With Rome 2's long time-span, I hope you still have time to continue developing him before old age takes its toll.
    Thanks! We can only hope that Mascarada will live long enough to develop into the general Carthage needs him to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Tigellinus View Post
    I'm very much enjoying it also! Carthage is really taking a beating! I hope they can regain their strength and conquer Iberia!

Vengeance for the dead.
    Thank you! Yes, Carthage has suffered major blows and, for Mascarada, there's a personal reason for seeking revenge.

Quote Originally Posted by NorseThing View Post
    I am also becoming a fan of Mascarada. There is something eternal in any region belonging to the people of that region. Of course in the time frame, only nobility can rule with approval of other nobles so that is a bit of conflict. I wonder how a Carthaginian general such as Mascarada can resolve this conflict within. The best the game system can do is to recruit mercenaries locally and hope a new general can arise among the captains.
    Thanks! Yes, Mascarada is certainly recruiting mercenaries in Iberia, as you'll see. Internal conflict is represented in Rome II by the system of rival parties, and a particular party is becoming dominant in Iberia. Mascarada is focused on fighting the Celtiberians and Edetani in the north, but in time he might need to pay attention to matters behind the front lines and think like a shophet (consul) as well as a general.

Quote Originally Posted by Turkafinwë View Post
    I love the history book style very much and even though we don't know very much about the characters present I still feel attached to them. After a glorious push into Iberia will Carthage not have stretched its border too thin especially now with the loss of two veteran armies. Time will tell I guess.
    That's encouraging, thanks! Yes, Carthage has a very long border (from Egypt to Spain). Mascarada has been thinking of how to deal with this problem and his plan will be revealed soon. But he doesn't know what his enemies - the Celtiberians, Edetani, Syracuse and Rome - are planning.
    Last edited by Alwyn; April 15, 2018 at 10:12 AM.

Default Re: New Town (Carthage AAR) [updated April 7, 2018]

Chapter 14: The Road to Numantia

Mascarada made his decision. He would not withdraw Carthage’s armies from Iberia, or form a defensive line and wait for the Celtiberians to attack. He would advance.

Mascarada ordered the fleet on Iberia’s west coast to go north from Olisipo to Brigantium. He had two armies capable of fighting. The Sacred Company would march up the east coast to Tarraco. Before leading his own army, the Walls of Byrsa, through the centre of Iberia towards Numantia, Mascara recruited Iberian mercenaries. There were slingers, who could kill at a longer range than his peltasts. There were light swordsmen, who carried the solid iron javelin, known in their language as the saunion and to Romans as the soliferrum. Best of all, there were the Scutarii, heavy infantry who carried the falcata, a curved sword which could be swung with the force of an axe-blow.

Before they left Qart Hadasht (‘New Town’), Mascarada shared his strategy with his captains.

“We’ve been lamenting the men we lost,” he said, “The loss of two of our finest armies was a bitter blow. But we didn’t ask how many enemies it took to defeat them. My spies say that the Celtiberians and Edetani suffered heavy losses. Our armies are at full strength. We will take the northern cities of Iberia.”

He continued, “The Celtiberians can fall back to their lands in Gaul, as their Edetani allies are doing. But my spies say that the Celtiberian territory in Gaul will provide only a limited amount of coin and men. My agents also report that Burdigala, the Edetani stronghold in Gaul, will soon face an uprising from the Vivisci tribe who traditionally owned that land. We have no quarrel with the Vivisci. My spies are supplying the Vivisci with swords to support their bid for freedom.”

“For two generations, Carthage defended our coasts against Rome’s allies, afraid of confronting Rome directly. That changes now. An army will sail from Thapsus to liberate our lost colony of Lilybaeum in Sicily. They will defeat Syracuse and attack Rome from the south. Meanwhile, after taking northern Iberia, we will pass through Gaul and surprise Rome from the north.”

Mascarada’s army lacked experience, but the presence of Iberian mercenaries gave them confidence. When they encountered a small Celtiberian force on the road to Numantia, Mascarada hesitated for a moment before ordering the attack. Twice before, Carthaginian armies had been lured in by smaller forces, only to be destroyed by a larger army. Mascarada sent scout cavalry ahead to look for any ambush – and they found nothing – but perhaps the enemy’s main force was hidden?

Mascarada ordered his army to advance cautiously and was surprised when the enemy broke and ran – and no further enemies appeared. Perhaps, after their recent victories, the Celtiberians and their Edetani allies had become overconfident, expecting no further Carthaginian attacks. The road to Numantia was clear – and he intended that this would also be the road to Rome.

Default Re: New Town (Carthage AAR) [updated April 15, 2018]

It's good to see "the show on the road". The plan is bold and, in part, quite familiar. I'm looking forward to seeing Mascarada deal with challenges similar to what Hannibal faced.

Darkan's Avatar Senator

I like Masacarada's plan, but we all know words are wind. It will take a lot to subdue Iberia, not to mention the efforts of retaking Lilybaeum. Also, Syracuse was famed for its high walls and War machinery, what with Archimedes designing them. Still, a bold plan, we'll see how it unfolds. Maybe a bit of hopscotch is also in order, to retake certain islands? There are definitely options, as are impediments!
    [DLV 6.2 AAR] - The Danish House of Hen - updated 20/08/18 - on hold
    [King of Dragon Pass AAR] - The Drakkar Saga - updated 14/04/18 - on hold
    Participate in the TotW!!! PARTICIPATE!!!
    DuckDuckGo

Turkafinwë's Avatar The Sick Baby Jester
    Content Emeritus

A bold strategy indeed. Mascarada is really gambling the empire his forebearers have conquered by this "all out attack" strategy. His caution concerning the Celtiberians, however gives him some credit though. I think they have a long and hard campaign waiting for them even if they do succeed and terrible loss if they don't.

Great update btw.

NorseThing's Avatar Primicerius

A great general has to balance many things and sharing lament of loss with his men is one of the things to balanced. It can be bad for morale to remind them of the losses, but at the same time it is important that the men are aware the leadership is sensitive to their lives and the lives that have been lost. A great job with this update. Congrats on how you handled it!

It's good to see "the show on the road". The plan is bold and, in part, quite familiar. I'm looking forward to seeing Mascarada deal with challenges similar to what Hannibal faced.
    Thanks, yes it's a similar plan but with small differences. For example, Mascarada has no elephants and his route towards Italy is a bit different to Hannibal's. Hannibal's route is below, Mascarada's route will start to become clear in the next chapter.

Hannibal's route to Italy, by Abalg with translation by Pinpin, source, CC BY-SA 3.0

Quote Originally Posted by Darkan View Post
    I like Masacarada's plan, but we all know words are wind. It will take a lot to subdue Iberia, not to mention the efforts of retaking Lilybaeum. Also, Syracuse was famed for its high walls and War machinery, what with Archimedes designing them. Still, a bold plan, we'll see how it unfolds. Maybe a bit of hopscotch is also in order, to retake certain islands? There are definitely options, as are impediments!
    Thanks, well said! Yes, there are certainly risks, options and impediments here!

A bold strategy indeed. Mascarada is really gambling the empire his forebearers have conquered by this "all out attack" strategy. His caution concerning the Celtiberians, however gives him some credit though. I think they have a long and hard campaign waiting for them even if they do succeed and terrible loss if they don't.

Great update btw.
    Thanks! Yes, this is a major gamble, if his plan fails then Carthage could be finished.

Quote Originally Posted by NorseThing View Post
    A great general has to balance many things and sharing lament of loss with his men is one of the things to balanced. It can be bad for morale to remind them of the losses, but at the same time it is important that the men are aware the leadership is sensitive to their lives and the lives that have been lost. A great job with this update. Congrats on how you handled it!
    Thank you! Yes, you describe well the fine line which Mascarada was walking, when he spoke to his soldiers about the major defeats Carthage had suffered.
    Last edited by Alwyn; May 06, 2018 at 07:02 AM.

Chapter 15: Sword-Brothers

Because the Edetani had lost many warriors destroying the army of Mascarada’s father, the outcome of the battle at Numantia was never in doubt. When enemy ballista fire took the lives of some of Mascarada’s Iberian mercenaries, Libyan hoplites picked up their swords and carried on. Mascarada watched with satisfaction as his cavalry swept round the flank and broke the Edetani line.

The Iberian mercenaries in Mascarada’s army carried two different kinds of swords. Some used a straight blade, while others, the Scutarii, wielded a curved sword, the falcata. The Libyan hoplites preferred the straight swords. They were trained to fight defensively and the straight blades could more easily parry an enemy blow than the heavy, slow falcata.

After the battle, Libyan hoplites celebrated with Iberian mercenaries. When Mascarada approached, they cheered and held their swords high. In the mind of Mascarada, they were no longer divided into Libyans (famed for their faithfulness) and Iberians (mercenaries of uncertain loyalty). They cheered when Mascarada told them that he was proud of their victory. They cheered louder when he said that Libyans and Iberians were brothers and that he would have good Iberian swords made for his brave Libyan warriors. When he told them that he would lead them to Massalia and even to Rome, they fell silent. When he revealed that a Carthaginian army had already sailed to defeat Rome’s ally, Syracuse, from the south, and that more Carthaginian armies were marching against Rome from both north and south, they joined with his cry, “To Rome!”

After the destruction of the Edetani army at Numantia, the Vivisci rose up and drove out the Edetani who had occupied their city, Burdigala. Before, Carthage had struggled to fight both the Edetani and Celtiberians in Iberia. Now, the Edetani were reduced to scattered wanderers, no longer able to field an army. Carthage’s armies struck hard against the remaining Celtiberian settlements in northern Iberia.

Carthage’s warships and marines made a decisive contribution to Mascarada’s campaign in northern Iberia. On the west coast, Sacred Band marines seized the port of Brigantium. On the east coast, naval artillery breached the walls of the coastal city of Tarraco, allowing an army to storm the last Celtiberian stronghold in Iberia.

Previously, Carthage’s armies had advanced slowly, taking time to consolidate their hold over conquered lands. Now, Mascarada led his armies swiftly into southern Gaul. His spies reported that the Celtiberian army at Massalia had been hurt badly in an attack by a Celtic tribe. The Celtiberians had held Massalia, but the city was vulnerable. Mascarada intended to strike before they had a chance to replace their losses.

At Massalia, Mascarada again defeated a badly weakened Celtiberian army. He waited anxiously for news from the Carthaginian army which had sailed for Sicily. Its task was to liberate the lost colony of Lilybaeum and to seize Syracuse, but had it succeeded – and, if so, did its general follow Mascarada’s instructions with regard to Syracuse?

Last edited by Alwyn; May 06, 2018 at 06:58 AM.

Default Re: New Town (Carthage AAR) [updated May 6, 2018]

I enjoyed the reference to the equipment and the continuation of Mascarada's rise to glory. Compared to the rest of the campaign, he really seems to be making a breakthrough. I look forward to seeing what news come from Sicily.

Quintus Hortensius Hortalus's Avatar Lex duodecim tabularum
    Citizen

I'm getting excited whether Rome can withstand this attack! And well written

Under the patronage of wangrin my workshop

Content Emeritus

Another chapter done well! It seems Mascarada has succeeded in Iberia and has made himself one of the most important characters in Carthage. Only Syracuse stands between the fury of Carthage and the Romans. I'm eager to see some Carthaginian on Roman action.

Darkan's Avatar Senator

Eagerly awaiting news from Sicily. The saying "no news is good news" may not apply here though. Well done!
    DuckDuckGo

I enjoyed the reference to the equipment and the continuation of Mascarada's rise to glory. Compared to the rest of the campaign, he really seems to be making a breakthrough. I look forward to seeing what news come from Sicily.
    Thanks, yes, after years of falling back in the west and major defeats in Iberia, Carthage's armies are finally advancing. News from Sicily is coming soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Quintus Hortensius Hortalus View Post
    I'm getting excited whether Rome can withstand this attack! And well written
    Thank you, Carthage has been building up to a direct confrontation with Rome for years. There might be hints about Rome's readiness in the next chapter.

Another chapter done well! It seems Mascarada has succeeded in Iberia and has made himself one of the most important characters in Carthage. Only Syracuse stands between the fury of Carthage and the Romans. I'm eager to see some Carthaginian on Roman action.
    Thanks for your kind comment, yes he has! We'll soon see what happens when the fury of Carthage reaches the shores of Syracuse.

Eagerly awaiting news from Sicily. The saying "no news is good news" may not apply here though. Well done!
    Thanks, Darkan, news from Sicily is imminent!

Chapter 16: Don’t Kill Archimedes

Famous writers described the city-state of Syracuse as a marvel. Their best inventors impressed even the scholars of Athens. Their temples rivalled those of Corinth. Their picked hoplites were equals of the warriors of Sparta. During the last two centuries, brave warriors of Syracuse fought many wars against Carthage and her client kingdom of Libya. Again and again, ships from Syracuse had landed armies on African shores, occupying Libyan cities and towns until they were driven away. These expeditions enriched Syracuse with gold, jewellery and slaves.

Before, the alliance between Syracuse, Rome and the Celtiberians had made the people of Syracuse feel secure. However, overcrowded ships began to arrive from Iberia. The ships carried wild-eyed Celtiberians who reported that Carthaginian armies were pushing relentlessly north across their lands. With rumours of the fall of the Celtiberian kingdom in the west, and reports of Roman legions sailing away to fight Athens and Macedon in the east, the people of Syracuse began to feel isolated and vulnerable. They turned to their gods for protection. Some Celtiberian refugees found work on farms, others helped to build ever-grander temples.

The day came when it was the turn of the people of Syracuse to watch an enemy fleet approach. The watchers in Syracuse’s lighthouse reported that the attacking ships had divided into two groups. The first group of warships landed hoplites on the shore half a mile from the city’s outskirts.

The second group formed a line of ships facing a beach next to the city’s edge, as if they had come to observe the battle. A few of the second group of ships began landing men on the beach. The watchers in the lighthouse saw that these men were only javelin-men, not heavy infantry. The Carthaginian attackers must be over-confident! After the watchers sent a messenger to the city, they watched with pride as cavalry, pikemen and picked hoplites emerged from Syracuse, marching to destroy the invaders before they could emerge from the beach.

Hoplites, peltasts and archers of Carthage had marched from the landing area and they reinforced the skirmishers. There were so many of them – more than the ships could have carried. The troops landed by the ships must have combined with a Carthaginian army! The defenders were outnumbered and they were under fire from ballistae on Carthaginian warships. Horsemen of Syracuse struck hard with a charge, but they were caught by hoplites in between the shoreline and the outskirts of the city. Pikemen and picked hoplites of Syracuse fell under a relentless rain of javelins and arrows. The wall of defenders became a thin line of desperate men. Their commander took a blow from a spear and sank to his knees.

The Carthaginians halted at the sound of a horn. Their hoplites stepped aside and a man with a fine cloak rode through their ranks. He dismounted and spoke to the wounded commander; the watchers in the lighthouse could not hear his words.

Author's Note

Thanks to Darkan for inspiring the title of this chapter with one of your comments:

A great AAR so far. Hopefully Carthage can restore its fallen empire and then send an expeditionary force to the Italian Peninsula. Who knows, Rome may control it, but the Samnites and Etruscans might just help the "liberators". Just please remember to not kill Archimedes. Keep up the good work!
    Last edited by Alwyn; May 13, 2018 at 11:40 AM.

Default Re: New Town (Carthage AAR) [updated May 13, 2018]

The battle was well-written, but I especially enjoyed the first paragraphs about the life in Syracuse before the attack. It was nice seeing the impact of the story's events from another perspective.

Darkan's Avatar Senator

Good update, though this is just the first battle against the Greek city-state so close to home. Wait until you reach its walls. Glad to have contributed to the story, though once the Carthaginian forces will be under fire from Archimedes' war machines, the feeling might change. Nice touch with the Iberian refugees to the island, I wonder whether Syracuse will field some of them as mercenaries against you.
    DuckDuckGo

Content Emeritus

Nice first victory over the Greeks. I wonder if this unknown cloaked figure will rival Mascarada in the end? Guess I'll have to keep following to find out. Keep it up!

Finally caught up on this. Great ao far, obviously Carthage has been making good progress recently, and this first battle against the Greek will surely not be the last (And hoepfully not be the last victory!)

NorseThing's Avatar Primicerius

I do like the tie-in to our more recent history as refugees seem to be always a part of war torn regions. The detail about how the invasion started with the light infantry with ballista naval support is a good touch to real war as well. Even in WWII D-Day -- it started with light infantry and supported by naval bombardment.

Tigellinus's Avatar Citizen

Fantastic to see this continuing, Alwyn!

I very much am enjoying Carthage's return to power, and the invasion of Syracuse!

Kind regards,

Tigellinus

Proudly under the patronage of McScottish