Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Imported ETW and NTW models_naval and Sail & Rigging logic into S2.

Default Imported ETW and NTW models_naval and Sail & Rigging logic into S2.

In here you can find models_naval of ETW and NTW which I've adapted and imported to S2. The models_naval of ETW and NTW are not exactly similar to S2, and such need a little bit of editing for those to be used in S2.
    Note that this resource only contains the models_naval and sail logics of the ship, and not the appearance model of the units, as I do not have the expertise in modelling to port them from their rigid_naval_models format to the rigid_model.v2 used in S2.
    Thus if you use it as-is, you'll only get invisible hulls.

To apply the models into the game, simply replace the ship model used in the units_stats_naval table.

If you're interested in using this resource, please give proper credit.

Some Screenshots
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

LINK:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/0qtsq973lc...naval.rar?dl=0

Default Re: Imported ETW and NTW models_naval and Sail & Rigging logic into S2.

Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

In this pack, you'll find a modified models_naval of FoTS steamer ships which enables sail logic.xml if inserted into the naval directory of the ship to work as proper sails. If you ever dabble in naval modding, you'll notice that if you transplant logic.xml of a sailing ship into steamer or oared rowing ship, the sails won't show up. This is because models_naval have something that determines this.

As you can see in the screenshot of the test pack, its just NTW ship of the line sails transplanted into FoTS L'Ocean. And it is functional, the sails reefs when it stops, unfurls when moving. There's two path possible from here on: Maintain the FoTS masts then plot the sails and rigging lines so it matches it; or removing the FoTS masts replacing it with masts that are part of the rigging logic.xml instead of the ships' rigidmodels.

Here's the link to the test pack:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/b45o52lbns...test.pack?dl=0

How to use: Replace or edit the logic.xml inside the rigidmodels>naval of the ships.
    Last edited by You_Guess_Who; January 21, 2018 at 03:25 PM.

I would give you rep but cannot as already did. Looking foward new ships for fots.

Nice work man. Have you fully tested all ships? Can you give me a an example file (unit_stats_naval), so i can test it? Just to see. I have been doing it a bit different with Tweak. I don't know if it will work, but i think yes. It looks that Tweak creates a new models_naval.pack, but not as models_naval, but as "name_of_ship_models_naval". So i think it is not necessary to have models_naval.pack, but only the custom one (i think). I am still working on it. As i was a bit busy the last few weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by izzi View Post
    Nice work man. Have you fully tested all ships? Can you give me a an example file (unit_stats_naval), so i can test it? Just to see.
    I've PM'd you before I made this thread. It have link to the unit_stats_naval test mod. I have tested most of the ship representing all of the ship types, so I'd say all of it are OK.

Looks i got it to work:
    Click to view content: 

It's just beta. I still need to texture it. I know now how to import them.
    But it's perfect. Thanks for the files You_Guess_Who.
    Last edited by izzi; January 19, 2018 at 08:35 PM.

Great! Now I'll move to the next project. Hope you can help too for it.

Quote Originally Posted by You_Guess_Who View Post
    Great! Now I'll move to the next project. Hope you can help too for it.
    Depends what the next project is. Adding ships is already a huge project. This was just a basic model. I still need to figure out the destruction animation (when ships sink) and the destruction pieces (wood) that fall of the ship (or the holes going trough the ship). But this is already a great step forward.

Adding sails to FoTS ship. I know in-theory what makes a ship have functional sails that reefs and furls in the models_naval. Simply adding the logic.xml of a sailing ship into the naval models directories of ships without sails do not work unless the models_naval of said ships are edited. But I certainly not able to plot the coordinates for the rigging logic; it has to be someone that can at least open FoTS ships' mast models.
    Last edited by You_Guess_Who; January 20, 2018 at 03:14 PM.

Adding sails to FoTS ship. I know in-theory what makes a ship have functional sails that reefs and furls in the models_naval. Simply adding the logic.xml of a sailing ship into the naval models directories of ships without sails do not work unless the models_naval of said ships are edited. But I certainly not able to plot the coordinates for the rigging logic; it has to be someone that can at least open FoTS ships' mast models.
    I just send you a PM about it. Normally sails are based on the logic_rigging file.

True, but its little bit more than just that. models_naval plays a role as well.

I'll make a proof of concept mod for that, and report back with screenshots and comparison with mikoyan's test on sails if it succeeds.
    Last edited by You_Guess_Who; January 20, 2018 at 03:38 PM.

True, but its little bit more than that.
    Yeah, i guess so...nothing can be easy with modding ships.

Quintus Hortensius Hortalus's Avatar Lex duodecim tabularum
    Citizen

Great find! Btw can this be working with NTW and ETW too?
    Anyway good work from both of you.

Under the patronage of wangrin my workshop

Quote Originally Posted by Quintus Hortensius Hortalus View Post
    Yes and no. I think yes, the only reason i said no, is that when converting ships with BOB to rigid_model, that it converts to rigid_model_V2 and not rigid_model (or the file extension that is been represented in ETW/NTW).
    You could use the name as a campaign building and convert it to receive the rigid_model, but i am not sure.

Done some changes to the models_naval of FoTS ships; its a success, the sails works.

Quote Originally Posted by Quintus Hortensius Hortalus View Post
    You mean is it possible to import S2 and FoTS ships into NTW or ETW? I cannot say on the rigidmodels (appearance) side of it, whether it is possible to import the newer set of rigid_model.v2 to the older rigidnavalmodels format; because frankly I have no clue on the modelling side of things. On the models_naval side of it, it is theoretically possible to do, however I do not have the means to do test for it (currently do not have either NTW or ETW installed)
    Last edited by You_Guess_Who; January 21, 2018 at 01:56 PM.

Primergy's Avatar Protector of the Union

Yes and no. I think yes, the only reason i said no, is that when converting ships with BOB to rigid_model, that it converts to rigid_model_V2 and not rigid_model (or the file extension that is been represented in ETW/NTW).
    You could use the name as a campaign building and convert it to receive the rigid_model, but i am not sure.
    You can edit the rules.bob file so that it exports rigid_models (though only, if the ship building process is using a rules.bob file)

Done some changes to the models_naval of FoTS ships; its a success, the sails works.

You mean is it possible to import S2 and FoTS ships into NTW or ETW? I cannot say on the rigidmodels (appearance) side of it, whether it is possible to import the newer set of rigid_model.v2 to the older rigidnavalmodels format; because frankly I have no clue on the modelling side of things. On the models_naval side of it, it is theoretically possible to do, however I do not have the means to do test for it (currently do not have either NTW or ETW installed)
    I am not sure, because now i see it uses the ".rigid_naval_model" file extension. So i doubt it can convert from CS2 to that specific file extension. But i am not sure 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by Primergy View Post
    You can edit the rules.bob file so that it exports rigid_models (though only, if the ship building process is using a rules.bob file)
    Nope, doesn't have a rules.bob file. Only the texture path has one.

Some updates:
    Click to view content: 
    The damage system is a bit different than in ETW/NTW. ETW/NTW uses kind of a texture map that renders the damage levels of ship (alpha map). There are 3 kind of levels: the normal one (no damage at all), the medium one (ship has been hit, but not in a destructive manner => some holes represented in the alpha map) and the destructive one (ship has been really damaged => also represented by holes trough the alpha map). S2TW (and FOTS) uses a 3d mesh to represent the damage on the ship (dm1 => normal, dm2 => medium and dm3 => destructive):

Primergy's Avatar Protector of the Union

ETW/NTW uses kind of a texture map that renders the damage levels of ship (alpha map)
    I think this can be replicated, without the need to model completly new damage models. You could copy/paste the normal model and rename it as a damage model. Then using a hexeditor to change the texture path, so it loads the damaged texture. This might also need to edit the entries in the warscape_rigid_table. But thats just a theory.

Quote Originally Posted by Primergy View Post
    I think this can be replicated, without the need to model completly new damage models. You could copy/paste the normal model and rename it as a damage model. Then using a hexeditor to change the texture path, so it loads the damaged texture. This might also need to edit the entries in the warscape_rigid_table. But thats just a theory.
    Making the damage models is not really the problem. What i just have learned is to make lesser pieces of models. Because there is lesser work to do in the db. Merge models that uses the same texture map.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast