Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Bug and CTD reports

GrandViZ's Avatar Domesticus

Default Re: Bug and CTD reports

Quote Originally Posted by dejarik View Post
    Yesterday I decided I'd try out the UAI mod, but I only wanted the AI changes, not the rest.

I followed standard procedures and GrandVIZ's instructions in the install post.

Here's what I did:
    Fresh install of M2
    Patched to 1.2
    Unpacked all the files (deleted the two geography files)
    Installed UAI
    Applied quickfix
    Moved the 6 files from UAIs data folder to regular data folder
    Moved the 3 files from UAIs imperial campaign folder to regular imperial campaign folder

My bug is that when I try to start a new campaign and press Start, I get bounced back to the single player menu (tutorial, imperial campaign etc.).

I spent some time looking at the files, and it seems like descr_strat.txt was the culprit. I went into the file and checked bit by bit. The new starting relations were working, also the new rebel captains. The one thing that wasn't working was ai_label.

I don't know why the game won't let me start a new campaign, and this has annoyed me a bit.

By the way, I have a campaign going already (regular vanilla 1.2). If I change all the files as mentioned above, will the AI in the campaign I'm playing be updated? I can't start a new campaign when I paste all the files (including descr_strat), but I can load my games.

EDIT: I looked around on the forums, and it seems like a lot of people have had the same problem as me, but they usually mess around in the descr_strat.txt file. I just want the ultimate AI in the vanilla campaign
    Your problem is because of the Character Name Project which is included in the latest release. Therefore you cannot use my descr_strat.txt with the vanilla campaign, as you lack the other CNP files.

To fix it do the following:

Copy the names.bin.strings.txt from ultimateAI/data/text folder into the "Medieval II Total War/data/text" folder.

Copy the descr_names.txt from ultimateAI/data into your "Medieval II Total War/data" folder.

Then try again.

EDIT: I have updated the installation description.
    Last edited by GrandViZ; June 14, 2007 at 07:08 AM.
    Creator of the Ultimate AI
    Co-Author of Broken Crescent

Under the Patronage of Trajan

Thanks, it worked!

By the way, shouldn't it be names.txt.strings.bin?

Will the AI be updated in the campaign I'm currently playing, or do I have to restart?

You have to restart, because the descr_strat.txt settings are set at the beginning.

And yes it is the names.txt.strings.bin.

Regards
    GrandViZ

The UAI mod seems promising, but I can't get more than two turns into a campaign before the game hangs on one of the faction's turns.

This is on a fresh install of MTW2, version 1.2, with UAI 1.5 installed over it.

First campaign as England I got two turns in, then France offered me a trade treaty. I accepted and then offered them Caen. They accepted. Then the game hung on France's turn. Waited approximately twenty minutes with no change, then exited out.

I reloaded this game a couple times, trying to see if I could get the game to keep going past France's turn. No such luck.

I started a new campaign as England. Got two turns into it. On the third turn, Scotland offered me a trade treaty. I accepted. Then I offered to exchange map information. They countered demanding gold. I rejected. Then the game hung on Scotland's turn.

Perhaps I am missing a bug update?

Sorry, but most propably there is something wrong with your installation. The mod has been tested by several thousand users and works fine.

Make sure that you apply patch 1.2 on an unpatched M2TW installation, and do not install german language files if you don't have the german version of the game!

You may also try this, and see if it helps.
    http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showp...18&postcount=2

My appologies, GrandViz, it is -not- your mod. I have tried a campaign with the vanilla game after reading your response - happens there too.

I was assuming the diplomatic changes in this mod were causing the problem, since it had not occured before (on previous, unpatched, unmodded installation) and happened immediately after coming in contact with a foreign diplomat or princess w/ this mod.

Thats what I get for assuming, eh?

I'm uninstalling/reinstalling the game once again, and will give this mod another go once I know I can get past turn three in a vanilla campaign.

In this case, the problem originated at the keyboard!

Why is the ram damage to gates reduced so much ? If you implement such things then u HAVE TO fix the ai waiting in arrow fire bug because it gets totally unbalanced and the siege battles get damn easy... another thing is that a bug moves the ram from the gate away and back! This makes this hole buggy crap even worse...

Edit: And the campaign ai still attacks with a lot of small stacks instead of a big one which leads to every small group on the battle map routing fast.
    Last edited by nik2063; June 15, 2007 at 08:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by nik2063 View Post
    Why is the ram damage to gates reduced so much ? If you implement such things then u HAVE TO fix the ai waiting in arrow fire bug because it gets totally unbalanced and the siege battles get damn easy... another thing is that a bug moves the ram from the gate away and back! This makes this hole buggy crap even worse.
    First of all, I would appreciate a little more friendly tone here!

Second, Ultimate AI 1.5 has no custom battle AI atm, however this will change soon.

And the campaign ai still attacks with a lot of small stacks instead of a big one which leads to every small group on the battle map routing fast.
    My experience made with a lot of test campaigns is a different one. However occasional small stacks may occur.

I want to confirm that in my campaign, up to the year 1325. I got attacked by multiple full stacks professional armies. And many more stack are in waiting...
    so Nik just be patient....as the year goes by the AI got more money from lands it conquered and as their economy built up it will build more full stack army and will do the attack. Right now in the year 1328. I am besieged by multiple full stacks army in 4 of my cities from my former ally which betrayed me after it conquered almost the whole map, except for England, Russia, and 1 city left for the Byz + the Mongols. So it backstabbed and started the war with me..
    That's what I was planning to do next. Backstabbed my current Ally because it just become too powerfull as it is now. As I'm building up my economy to finance the war. I didn't have alot of army build up just yet, just making lots of money to backstabbed my Ally in a few more years. but somehow it figured and attatcked me first. Now I'm loosing because even though I have alot of money but I couldn't build up my army fast enough to rescue these seiged cities. As it comes in waves. I tried to fight back but couldn't handle them. I never loose before now I'm on the verge of loosing this game...Thanks to GrandViz . but I'm happy because of a challange it gave me.

Finally I feel like cheating and go back...to the year 1300 and started again.

Well I played A Scottish campiagn all weekend, and on Sunday got my first crash.

The problem is I don't get an error or anything i hear the windows "fatal error" beep noise, the screen goes black and I cant alt-tab, alt-enter, control-alt-del, alt-f4 or anything. I had to reboot my computer with the power button. ( I did have the M2TW mouse cursor to move around though)

I figured oh well, maybe I'll try it again, loaded the saved game. hit end turn and it crashed again. The only thing I could tell was that it crashed on the "rebels" turn, or right when it became mine.

kinda sucks, I won't be able to finish the campaign...

Quote Originally Posted by GrandViZ View Post
    First of all, I would appreciate a little more friendly tone here!

Second, Ultimate AI 1.5 has no custom battle AI atm, however this will change soon.

My experience made with a lot of test campaigns is a different one. However occasional small stacks may occur.
    I've seen the exact opposite too viz, the computer has been attacking me with LARGE stacks, that are very well built armies, and defending their cities with large forces as well.
    Last edited by GrandViZ; June 19, 2007 at 10:17 AM.

Can you send me the system.log file. Maybe it helps to find out why it occurs. Any further information, e.g. game year / turn number might also be helpful.

You should also make regular saves in between, as it helps to circumvent permanent CTD issues.

Quote Originally Posted by GrandViZ View Post
    Can you send me the system.log file. Maybe it helps to find out why it occurs. Any further information, e.g. game year / turn number might also be helpful.

You should also make regular saves in between, as it helps to circumvent permanent CTD issues.
    Well I woulld really like to finish it... It's wierd I started over and it happend again, only scotland makes the game crash. Where do i find the system.log that you need? should i open the game, let it crash and then find that file somewhere?

Enter these lines (if not already in) into your ultimateAI.cfg file, and then try to reproduce the crash.

[log]
    to = logs/system.log.txt
    level = * error

The log file will be in your M2TW/logs folder.

Great, I'll do it when I get home from "work"

ok the other day, since my scotland campaign was farked, I started a new portugal campaign.

And this has been without a doubt the coolest campaign I've ever played. I've actually got 3 vassals: France, Spain, and the Moors

the year is 1166 when I end my turn the game crashes.

I edited the cfg file, and have an error log. Can you please take a look at it? I would really like to finish this campaign if possible, I've been documenting it with Screenshots like every other turn. I was gonna do a huge After Action Report =(

edit: I loaded the game to get the year number, and it over wrote the log file... i have to get it to crash again, and repost it.

Hm, the error.log you have loaded up is more or less empty. Are you sure that this is the right one? If you added the lines I mentioned above, then the log-file should be in your M2TW/logs subfolder!

I loaded the game to get the year number, and it over wrote the log file...

and now it stopped crashing, it's wierd i crashed on the same turn 3 times in a row, the log file said something about a trait increase for a princess.. i shoulda just copy and pasted it.

oh well... if it crashes again ill post the file

Hey GrandViz, I'm having the same sort of problem that kichinko is having. In my venice campaign, after 32 turns, the game crashes when I end my turn; it goes to the rebel's turn and then crashes. I thought it might just be that campaign, so I started another venice campaign, but after 27 turns the same problem happens, except it crashes after scotland's turn. I'm not using your full mod, just LTC with the files you had in the uai for ltc download. I'm pretty sure it's not LTC, cause the problem didn't start till I put in the uai files. Do you know of anything I can do to fix this problem?

I'm sorry, but propably those files are outdated, as I have released some bugfixes in the meantime. You may try to update those files. And it still might be an issue that only occurs in combination with LTC. However, I can not support every combination of the UAI with other mods, as there are just too many possibilities for inconsistencies.

Hello, a little problem occured on my campaign.
    When I try to make diplomacy with the Danes the Danish leader often says "How can England help you?".
    It's no big deal, but I would like to know how to fix it.
    thx