Thread: Cannot Save Campaign

julianus heraclius's Avatar The Philosopher King

Default Cannot Save Campaign

Please help.

In my development of the mod Restitvtor Orbis I am having trouble with saving campaigns. Now I can load and play a campaign but when it comes to saving one it CTD's on me. I have check all know files with the various validators, tried with background script on and off but to no avail. I am at a loss here and really need some help with this. I am using a modified MM map. It has been working in vanilla.

Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Cannot Save Campaign

Okay. I have checked, corrected and double checked the following files:

export_descr_buildings
    export_descr_unit
    descr_rebel_factions
    rebel_faction_descr_enums
    rebel_faction_descr
    descr_names
    descr_names_lookup
    descr_regions
    descr_strat

I haven't checked the descr_mercenaries file as yet but will do. The thing is that the mod runs really well, it is only when it comes to saving the game that it crashes. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: When I activate auto-save I now find that the campaign CTD's when the next turn button is pressed.
    Last edited by julianus heraclius; January 05, 2018 at 07:08 AM.

leoni's Avatar Campidoctor

do you have an prior back up version which works??? what you have changed.....its long ago that i had those issues, did you deleted the old map.rwm....

otherwise i would guess names....and all validators i know doesnt show every error-missmatch in case of names, got a lot of trouble with them for myself...

Thanks for the feedback. I do delete the map.rwm everytime I make a change. Funny, I do have a sense that it may be something to do with names, but I would have thought that if there were errors with names then the game wouldn't load in the first place. As I said, I can play the campaign for many turns with out a CTD. It is only when I go to save the campaign that it crashes, apart from now with the autosave turned on where it crashes after pressing the next turn button.

I will try putting back the original names and see what happens.

I went back to basics with the original names and found that the campaign both loaded and can be saved. It turns out that while all names were correct the problem was with some factions not having the name used list in their own faction list hence not being able to save the campaign. The DS validator either didn't or doesn't pick this up.

Another issue though is that whenever a roman general is offered for adoption he dies upon being accepted. This doesn't happen with other factions. Any thoughts on why this is happening??

And thanks again for your feedback.

leoni's Avatar Campidoctor

names are always tricky, dont trust any tool....best is to copy past working names and to change just the internal ones....

for your adoption problem, i never faced such issue, if we could exclude names, i would guess traits....

Okay. Thanks. I'll check them as well.