Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910

Thread: Berlin New Year's Eve party sets up 'safe zone' for women

antaeus's Avatar Cool and normal

Default Re: Berlin New Year's Eve party sets up 'safe zone' for women

Quote Originally Posted by athanaric View Post
    There are a lot more examples, but I don't have them ready all the time, nor a I acquainted with all of them. But hey, better than no examples, which is what your side has presented, alongside snide remarks and the usual utter ignorance of the situation on the ground. Oh and that one guy who keeps insinuating that all white people are racist (I wonder if that also applies if they're Muslim?). But that's fine with you, apparently. I think that speaks for itself.
    I'm not presenting any side in this debate. I'm just pointing out flawed arguments.

Oh, and this post contains a straw man:
    "But that's fine with you" - you're constructing an opinion for me, "I think that speaks for itself" - you're tearing down that constructed opinion. As with all straw man arguments... it's much easier to argue against me when you're making up what I'm saying.

From what I can see... most of this thread is full of fallacies. People are using individual cases as evidence of wider trends, they're stating opinion as fact and they're cherry picking data out of context. I wouldn't get involved in this debate. Cognitive biases are already in place.
    Last edited by antaeus; January 09, 2018 at 02:47 PM.
    IN PATROCINIVM SVB MARENOSTRUM

Copperknickers II's Avatar quaeri, si sapis
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by antaeus View Post
    I'm not presenting any side in this debate. I'm just pointing out flawed arguments.

Oh, and this post contains a straw man:
    "But that's fine with you" - you're constructing an opinion for me, "I think that speaks for itself" - you're tearing down that constructed opinion. As with all straw man arguments... it's much easier to argue against me when you're making up what I'm saying.

From what I can see... most of this thread is full of fallacies. People are using individual cases as evidence of wider trends, they're stating opinion as fact and they're cherry picking data out of context. I wouldn't get involved in this debate. Cognitive biases are already in place.
    I still think it all comes down to whether or not you believe it's justifiable to punish a whole set of people for crimes which haven't been committed yet, and which the vast majority of them will never commit. I personally don't. Vilifying Muslim MENA culture is all very well, but if it doesn't translate to most Muslims being sex offenders then it's unjust and logically fallacious to blame Muslims as a group. Irish people as a whole were not responsible for the IRA attacks, American people as a whole are not responsible for the Iraq war, white people as a whole are not responsible for crimes committed by some of their ancestors during the colonial period. Nobody in this thread disputes any of those things. So you cannot blame Muslims as a whole for the actions of a small minority who are not representative of the whole. You can say that Muslims are generally more conservative than white Europeans (is that a big problem for conservative Europeans? They'll be your allies as often as they'll be your opponents), but that also applies to non-Muslim third world immigrants. There are many ethnic groups who commit disproportionately high levels of crime compared to indigenous people, e.g. Latinos in the US and Afro-Caribbeans in the UK. Either these people apply their critique of Muslim migrants to all immigrants from countries with higher crime rates than their own, or they make plain the Islamophobic illogic that underlies their arguments.
    A new mobile phone tower went up in a town in the USA, and the local newspaper asked a number of people what they thought of it. Some said they noticed their cellphone reception was better. Some said they noticed the tower was affecting their health.

A local administrator was asked to comment. He nodded sagely, and said simply: "Wow. And think about how much more pronounced these effects will be once the tower is actually operational."

Gigantus's Avatar I am not special - I am a limited edition.
    Patrician Moderator Emeritus Administrator Emeritus

Blog Entries

From safe zones in Berlin to crime in the Netherlands to the usual generalizations of Muslims - we have come a long way. Let's take a brake and then try again.