Page 8 of 32 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Share your Tricks, Strategies and Ideas

Default Re: share your Tricks and Shortcuts

Quote Originally Posted by Nicollo da Conti View Post
    I searched the thread (keyword: 'spy'), and found nothing on this, so...

When your turn is over and the game is cycling through the AI nations, sometimes you see your own garrison unit cards for a city flash flash on-screen for a moment in the UI - they vanish again after that particular nation's turn is over.

I think this means that AI nation has a spy in that city, but I'm not entirely sure. Anyone?
    Yes, you are exactly right!

REAL Battlefield assassins!

Two or so, 3 silver chevron'd Byza cavarly, or any other capable HA unit VS army's with a general. Flank and go for the general, isolate, anihalate!

Destroyed hungary this way in 6 turns
    Last edited by kaleus Khron; March 14, 2007 at 12:42 AM.

wow, awesome trick man i have to check this out

Well, i've learned this trick from Rome. (I'm not sure if this has been already posted)

When a neutral/ally diplomat grovels, but gives nothing away, it's meaning they are going to attack.

Nickname. I got experience

Quote Originally Posted by Garbarsardar View Post
    BTW, ferrets54, you are a pedophile.

Laetus

Or when hauling cannons into battle, see if you can place them on the side of the enemys battleline, thereby you'll do some nasty damage when a cannonball rips through one line of infantery in the entire battleline length.

Once killed 50 enemies that way.

Just take care that the enemy doesn't charge you with cavalry. If they do, leave the cannons and run like h..., you can always pick up your cannons later but you won't get your crews back.

rgds
    Last edited by SirMoric; March 23, 2007 at 03:59 AM.

one of the best tricks i use often. when an AI faction betrays you and attacks your city, immidiatly attack them and wipe out the beseiging army, usually weak and easy to beat. after that look for large armies of enemies 15-20 units with family members or generals. wipe them out. while doign this send ur fleets to blockade ports. then wait, after 4 or 5 turns a diplomat will usually come for you offering cease fire. offer ceasefire, trade rights, and demand map information, and 5000 florins. they will usually accept. after that attack them and do the same thing, in a short time u can make huge amounts of money off of cease fire offers.

another trick is to request crusades often against excommunicated factions and raise the experiance of ur troops quickly, plus they are usually close to home.

if you are playing as England or anyother faction that has the sharpen stake special ability, use it. on the deploy screen arrange your archers in either a box formation or a 3 three sided rectangle depending on how many archers you have. deploy the stakes and arrange all of your units inside the safty of teh sharpned stakes. the enemy cannot effectivly use their cavalry and using this tactic you can take on massive armies and come out with few casualities.

cant really think of any others but i will try and come up with a few.

Quote Originally Posted by romanfool View Post
    one of the best tricks i use often. when an AI faction betrays you and attacks your city, immidiatly attack them and wipe out the beseiging army, usually weak and easy to beat. after that look for large armies of enemies 15-20 units with family members or generals. wipe them out. while doign this send ur fleets to blockade ports. then wait, after 4 or 5 turns a diplomat will usually come for you offering cease fire. offer ceasefire, trade rights, and demand map information, and 5000 florins. they will usually accept. after that attack them and do the same thing, in a short time u can make huge amounts of money off of cease fire offers.
    You can pump up your stakes and demand a poblation: I got distant poblation in that way.

My two cents

if you attach a spy to your army, don't you also have the abilty to lose the 'FoW' thing on the battlemap...

also, a garrisoned fort on the iberia pennisula can hold back the moors for a few turns so you can raise an army, helped greatly on my french campaign when i only had about 2 stacks for the the whole of spain.
    Last edited by Captain Kirk; April 06, 2007 at 04:33 AM. Reason: spelling

When on a crusade, don't hike the long way or pay exorbitant sums for massed fleets and risk the lives of your crusaders at sea. Get to the coast, invest in one of those dirt-cheap crusade ships, hop in, sail it to a safe coastal tile and disembark. Next turn hop back in (or if your ship got sunk by pirates, buy another) and take another short jaunt. You can safely get from Spain or the southwest Med to the holy lands in a few turns by island hopping like this. When you move at sea, go slow (don't second click to speed the animation) and you probably want to keep your finger on the BACKSPACE button so you can stop the command before blindly running into a giant pirate stack and getting stuck (and probably sunk).

On the battlefield, the schiltrom is pretty often useless. However, guarding the gate (or a breach) when under siege it is devastating. Remember, cavalry can't climb walls, so they'll almost always be first in line and will circle around your spears. I've had a single unit of merc spearmen hold the gate against seven or eight units this way. Two such units side-by-side create a nice meat grinder for your enemies to have to pass through. Cavalry tend to "stick" to spear units, too, so it's a good way to quickly chew through a foolhardy general and cause a massive morale drop to your foe.

1. Command the troops without general to fight in a even battle, if a clear victory and captain gained exp, a man of honour window will pop up to join the family, that's extra 20 bodyguards and expand your family, hell good for start. 66 alive family members after 100 turns. Destroied Danes using Holying Roman in 3 turns without mercenary. But had been excommunicated anyway.

2. Hire Mercenary cavarly and cav archers right after your crusader army reached Jeruselam as you always lack of good units to fight the desert battle when you first arrive. Very good units, not too high up keep and can be retrain if new mercenaries unit become avail in the region.

3. Use archers to cross fire the other side of the line, so you can keep firing even when close behind your spear line. example left side to target right enemies plunding your line, reduce friendly fire. Using fire ammo against heavy armor and normal to light, also remember to use sticks to prevent cavalry charge. This way, English longbow rules all until meet the Mongols.

4. When fighting Mongols, concentrate cavarly charge, as even their horsearchers are extremely good in close combat and always fight to the last man. Destory one and then go after another. After being sieged, every turn try a break out. Place longbow on the walls, and drag a unit into a long line ( ideally small numbered heavy infantry less than 10 is perfect, as light ones die too fast... ) and then run they out as a bait. or use your horsearchers' special ability, but will suffer greatly when you first move out. when they all out of ammo, move out your heavy cavalry to take them out one by one. ( the two side horsearchers first, and then front charge and quickly retreat repeat to kill all infantry, then move out spearman to finish the heavy lancers ) luckily they will all hold their lines and won't help each other. when they do succeed in launching an assult quickly moving out a suicide cavarly to destroy their ram will make the attack in vain. almost cheating, but there is no other way to hold them.

5. Always try to station your troops on high ground at the end of turns when moving across Mongol lands. fight on open ground will be suicide unless you are full of good cavalries.

mean trick i pulled on milan the other day playing as spain: Milan was excommunicated and i was at war with them with good papal standing, plus marseilles was giving me public disorder problems mainly because of squalor. so i set up a large army outside of marseilles, give it to milan for map info and cash, then next turn, get pope to call crusade on marseilles, make my army crusade army and attack marseille. i win, exterminate the city, now marseilles has very public order rating. Also i get money, soldier exp. points, general traits, and papal standing goes up all for succesful crusade.

can also help public disorder problems by just moving army out of city, raising taxes very high, causing them to rebel, then move back in, exterminate.
    kapow!

Icon3 How to "book" the neutral cities to conquer at the begining

Hello,

I did not see this tip on the forum, may be I missed it; do not know:

It relies on the turn of play. You are always playing first, then the other factions, and finally neutrals.

so you can send only one unit (peasent) sieging every neutral city near your territory. Since you are sieging it the computer played factions will not attack it. Of course you will have to lift the siege each time the defenders will break it. but you can siege it again each turn, This leave you the time to bring the right army to conquer the place.

I do not know if it is possible but I would like to suggest to mod the turn play and make the neutrals to play just after the player.

a good tip: when seiging the crusade target with your main army, go round all your settlements with generals if theres a total of 8 units or more, send them out of the settlement and join crusade then send them back in the settlement. if there are less than 8 try to get mercenaries. do this with all available generals the turn before attack and you will get no desertion and all in crusade will have free upkeep for one turn and every single one will get an experience bonus.
    I like it anyway!

Soulvaki's Avatar Civis

Quote Originally Posted by kapow32 View Post
    mean trick i pulled on milan the other day playing as spain: Milan was excommunicated and i was at war with them with good papal standing, plus marseilles was giving me public disorder problems mainly because of squalor. so i set up a large army outside of marseilles, give it to milan for map info and cash, then next turn, get pope to call crusade on marseilles, make my army crusade army and attack marseille. i win, exterminate the city, now marseilles has very public order rating. Also i get money, soldier exp. points, general traits, and papal standing goes up all for succesful crusade.
    Heh I may try this exact thing on my current game right now, which will also be against Milan, but as Scotland,

Grand Duke Vytautas's Avatar Dueling it out
    Citizen

Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Universe, lol

Don't know if anyone noticed this, but in leaked/unofficial 1.2 patch you can set 'slow-mo' battle speed in decimal seconds - normal is 1.0, I set it to 0.5 when knights charge or units perform special finishing animations it looks like an epic movie.
    You can change battle speed while holding shift and pressing the battle speed slider
    “Great empires are not maintained by timidity.” ― Tacitus

Soulvaki's Avatar Civis

Yeah I've nticed that, I've been pretty much using it int he same way as you, can be a big help at times, and also helps catch those animations

If you press Delete when you select a missile or cannon unit the camera will follow the projectile once fired.
    Send a fleet to the Iberia peninsula instead of using a fort to hold off the Moors.
    Last edited by Toekar; April 23, 2007 at 09:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Toekar View Post
    If you press Delete when you select a missile or cannon unit the camera will follow the projectile once fired.

I have actually missed that feature which was easily accessible in MTW1 - thanks!

Icon14 Re: share your Tricks and Shortcuts

Quote Originally Posted by Horsearcher View Post
    There are many options/tricks in the game that aren't mentioned in the manual or the game, so share what you think is something useful for anyone who never played a Total War game.

Let me start first:

Strategy map Tactics:

-When you get attacked or you attack an army or a settlement, right click on the portrait of the enemy general (on that attack pop-up window) to see his army.

-Same situation (attacking/attacked) scroll the strat map a bit, so you can see where the battle is taking place (if it's covered by the pop up window) and observe how you are facing against the army or armies. This is especially useful if multiple armies attacking you, because once you are on the battlemap, the armies will be facing you the same way they faced your general figure on the strat map (if they attacked behind, they will be behind your army, attack from left and front- they will be an army at your left and your front.

-After you finished the siege and you won, scroll the map underneath the popup window/move your mouse/ (which asks you what to do, exterminate or sack etc.) and see if the conquered town or castle is happy or unhappy (red/yellow/green face). If it's green, you can just settle in or sack them. If it's red or yellow, you better exterminate, because they are very unhappy and you will have rebellion going on.

-If you have a rebelling town out of hand, move out your army and wait until the town completely goes to a rebel town. Then you have the chance to besiege them and you gain a lot from this instead of spending money to try to control.
    First gain from this , is that you squashed the rebellion and second, exterminate them to gain more money from the loot, third, your town is under control again , fifth, your army units might just earned some experience points; Sixth, you just squashed your squalor problem and your overpopulation.

-Same situation of rebelling towns:
    Recruit as much peasants as you can, which will lower the town population significantly and send them into foreign lands as a giant peasant army. First gain from this, you lowered your chance to squalor, second;you lowered your rebel-chance. Your gian peasant army might get destroyed or win in battles, but you don't care, they are just "peasants'. *insert a Longshank laughter.

I actually got the 'let them rebel , we will exterminate them later"-idea from Braveheart.......

"The problem with Scotland is...................that It's full of Scots! -Edward Longshanks,

Crusading
    -When there is a crusade going on, you can make all your armies crusader armies and use it as an exploit to gain giant steps on the map.
    I made all my generals to join the crusade on many crusade calls, just to hop around the map to the place I wanted to conquer (doesn't work against fellow catholic factions who aren't excommunicated). Who gives a damn what town the pope wants me to crusade against, I go and sack the closest excommunicated or pagan/muslim town I can find!

Battlefield tacics

-If you attached a spy to your army, on entering the battlefield , you will see where the enemy army(ies) positioned ;-)

more later, anyone else with similar stuff?
    Hi everybody this is my first post
    This is very uesfull text
    When i play Medieval 2 on battlefield i always put my cav. on flanks to protect my flank, hevy infantry in center of my army and archers behind hevy infantry also i have spearmans in front of swordmans(heavy infantry) but when i have guns in my army the guns are in front of my army because they will hit my own mens .When i starting my assult i try to flank my enemy whit cav. then my archer fires on enemy when they are dry i start my main assult whit spearmens and swordmans in enemys center.
    Thats how i play o battlefield.

Bye

Big E's Avatar Civis

For everyone who hates the Pope:

I learned this on my own and some of you guys probably already know this. But if you go to Papal states and offer them alliance, the pope falls in love with you. Then during the same turn, give them a map (The Pope doesn't get around much) So he will be even more delighted to raise your faction to be the top Holy faction in the first 10 turns!!

All you have to do is give them something every 20 turns because it drops every once and a while. And if one of your enemies gets excommunacted. You can call a crusade against them with no problem since your the Pope's best friend.

Problem with this is that the Pope dies too many times but i offered the pope 100 florines for 10 turns and he raised me to the top from 4 crosses.