O

OxXxO
    O O O
    I'm sorry, I don't understand.

Default Re: Share your Tricks, Strategies and Ideas

I'm sorry, I don't understand.
    oh,damn it..i thought i put the o's corectly...but anyways
    say you have the character you want to kill in the middle

and surround him with other units so it would form like a big C then with the last unit wich would make the C into closed circle destroy the unit

_Elysium_'s Avatar Biarchus

So I only need 8 units in total?

JHRobin2's Avatar Laetus

Default Re: share your Tricks and Shortcuts

Following routing enemy through inner gates doesn't work if you follow too closely, as the inner gate won't open in proximity to your (defenders' enemy) troops.

Quote Originally Posted by _Elysium_ View Post
    So I only need 8 units in total?

1 assassin lol, 9 units at most unless the target is on a coastline or something then you can use less,
    basically you need to surround the target then you need 1 unit to move on the target to squish it!!

O= Target, X=Unit

XXX
    XOX---X (squishing unit)
    XXX

How do you move the ninth unit onto the enemy tile though? I tried this with a unit on the coast, so I needed three blocking units and a fourth to squish, but I couldn't get it to move onto the same tile as the enemy unit.

Quote Originally Posted by _Elysium_ View Post
    How do you move the ninth unit onto the enemy tile though? I tried this with a unit on the coast, so I needed three blocking units and a fourth to squish, but I couldn't get it to move onto the same tile as the enemy unit.
    truthfully i have never tried it, but i think you have to be really quick

Well thanks anyway. When I get an opportunity I'll try it and report back.

trustno1(2)'s Avatar Civis

Try placing a light cavalry off to the side before you begin forming the "C", and then bring in your cavalry and inclose the enemy units.

Another trick is putting pike-men into loose formation before putting into a spear wall if facing several cavalry units. It allows you to cover more ground as effectively with the same amount of troops and helps with mobility problems.
    Last edited by trustno1(2); October 20, 2011 at 04:17 PM.

The squish tactic outlined by dannyxx30 works perfectly. You need 9 units in the open. The final unit can walk through the others to land of the enemy agent's square. It's a fiddle sometimes, because the cursor wants you to merge with another unit, so you have to mess about until you get a clear place to land.

By a city you need 7 units. Some places, like where there's a road and it's got a river on one side and forest on the other, e.g. Vienna to Innsbruck road, you only need 3 units. I've killed 4 enemy agents in a single turn with this method.

The other good way killing enemy agents, heretics etc., of course, is assassins. Train them up early on rebel captains, and enemy captains in small stacks. You'll get an Assassin's Guild, and your assassins will come out stronger.
    "War is an extension of diplomacy, but by other means." Karl von Clausewitz

hull19's Avatar Ordinarius

Ever faced incredible odds? Huge armies of cavalry?

4 units of pikes/halberds in a square, some archers in the center if you have some. Extra melee units? Inside to attack were-ever needed.
    SS 6.4, Eras 2.3, DotS Project
    The first computer you had always was the best.
    R.I.P. 2001-2011

One thing on having succesful crusades and actually getting there before it's over.

1) Conquer an island in the Mediterranean ocean early in the game, keep some units there for defensive purposes.

2) Make the settlement a city build only leather tannerer, town watch, farms and roads.

3) Keep taxes at low to increase the population growth, making the city more populated quicker.

4) When reaching 4.5k people turn it into a castle (fortress level, can be done earlier).

5) Start getting your crusading character over there and build your army so that it finishes when he arrives.

Happy crusading Don't know if it has been mentioned before cba reading through all this(working on it though). Haven't tested this strategy out myself yet so don't know if it works in the game, sounded nice in my head though. Will come back with results later.
    Last edited by Carlobergh; December 23, 2011 at 10:59 AM. Reason: Grammar and spelling

Foeke1's Avatar Foederatus

A usefull strategy for defending a city while it is under siege, is to have mortars placed in it.
    You can easily bring down their ram(s), siege tower(s) and artillery.
    You can easily win that way with having 4 units of archers, 5 of spearmen or other and 5 groups of mortars, and it's pretty cheap too.

Yeah, I like mortars. Too bad none of the factions have the mortar, basilisk, and serpentine. The closest is Venice, I believe. The mortar, monster ribault, and I think culverine or some other decent cannon. Or do they have the basilisk?

Ussaid the Hashshashin's Avatar Ordinarius

Hello TWC, today I will present you with.........

Ussaid's Guide to the Medieval World, part 0

Immortality in the Grand Campaign

You are getting your butt kicked by the Mongols? Fear that they will end your campaign? Ussaid has just the solution! This guide will teach you how to become semi-immortal in a grand campaign, thanks to the AI's limited hard-coring talents.

You see newbies, the standard AI in a clean non-modified Medieval 2 Total War copy has only a limited resources. That is not because they can't make florins, but rather because there are some "flaws" in M2TW's design, and from that I mean they can't mostly "invade". From "invade" I mean they don't usually set sail one ships and woe to conquer every island.

Due to the corrupted and mean nature of our world, some people sadly did find a way to make them more challenging. We call these sadistic, twisted people "modders". There are many cults in this evil "modding community", more famous of them are the "Stainless Steel team" and the infamous "Broken Crescent team". These "teams", or should I say cults, have laid waste to the innocent M2TW engine many times before, with their "area of recruitment system" and many many more things.

Teams are teams, but there is something more evil, more twisted, and downright more advance. You guessed, that are the individuals working in these "projects". They jump from ship to ship, not caring what their actions have consequences on the poor M2TW engine. These individuals like Gigantus and Ishan are very cunning. They will pretend to "help" you with problems, and then out of the blue ask YOU to try their "projects"!

Okay, so now get back to our technique. Yeah, so what you need to do is capture a island settlement in the Mediterranean, and hold it. Build forts and watchtower near it if possible, and put at least two full stacks there. You could use one stack, or half a stack if it is too early in the game or you simply can't afford it. Advance this settlement into a citadel or something equally protective. Don't leave any empty space on the island; leave no space for an enemy army to land.

Once you are certain that you will not last, destroy every building in your cities, then retreat your faction leader, the crown prince, and as much family members as possible to this heaven island. Then wait my brother, wait, because in some turns all the settlements that you left behind would be lost.

Now is the time for a new empire, a new age! Gather all of your armies on the island and set sail to a far away land, like Russia or Britain, and settle there peacefully, after of course, err, killing all the locals. But they deserved it, right?

The Right Use of Cavalry

Cavalry is a type of unit which most of the new people like to forget about, and experienced players only think about them.I will today teach you how to use them the right way around in a M2TW battle. I will show you demonstrative pictures too!

In this picture we are clearly show that if you roll two spheres down a triangle on to three rectangles below, the rectangles will drop.Thatmeansthat 2 spheres+ one triangle will drop three rectangles even if the triangle is not moving. That is maths, or, err, at least half of it is.

Now, how can we use this to win a M2TW battle? That is easy! If you will take the pain to read the text in the shapes, you will understand. Yes, you are getting a point! If we put infantry before a hill, the hill will crush the infantry! Wait a second, where does the cavalry come into it? No, brob, no, you are not making a point; you never did, because you are a noob!

If you put two cavalry (spheres) on top of a hill (triangle), then you can drop three infantry (rectangles). So always put you cavalry on top of hills because the miracles of maths help them to defeat three units of infantry; it depends on the number and the quality.

Alright, this one is my favorite! I call this the "scorch and run" technique. This one is quite simple, really. When you are outnumbered by enemy infantry, it is time for some slash work! Pin the enemy infantry down with a coupe of your trusted cohorts, and make sure you have at least three units of cavalry.

Put one unit of cavalry on the back, one on the left, and one of the right of your enemy infantry. Make sure you have a lot of space between each other so the cavalry can get a full speed. Also, they must be in a wedge formation, to tear through the enemy formation!

Then, order all three units to charge at the same target in the middle, to make sure they won't stop. If all goes as planned, then the enemy will rout instantly seeing that they are covered from all side. If they don't rout, then retreat and do the charge again, and again, again!

*THE END*

NEXT PART 1 COMING SOON..............
    The Face of Murder

"Have any of you ever felt your imagination going wild reading ancient lore?"

I'm sooo happy. I defeated an enemy French army of 1849 with 547 English troops. The battle was on very hard. Fortunately there was a cliff that I used to anchor my left flank. I placed my 2 units of infantry in a long line 3-4 deep. I placed my two archer units behind and placed them on flaming arrows. My last two units were my body guard and a depleted unit of cavalry. My archers managed to destroy their one unit of archers. The enemy had 2 units of cav that my cav defeated becuase of the down hill advantage. Next, I focused the enemy left flank with archers, they began to rout and I followed them with one unit of infantry and one cav mopping them up and taking out their ballista. After that, I focsed the right flank while hammer and anviling with my body guard and remaining infantry causing a massive rout. I lost 132 men to their 1496. I believe the battle was very well fought, 3 to 1 odds are not easy to beat.

Quote Originally Posted by Foeke1 View Post
    A usefull strategy for defending a city while it is under siege, is to have mortars placed in it.
    You can easily bring down their ram(s), siege tower(s) and artillery.
    You can easily win that way with having 4 units of archers, 5 of spearmen or other and 5 groups of mortars, and it's pretty cheap too.
    I tend to just max out the militia then get more archers if i need to. I do like the mortars in both assaults and defenses though.

Cavalry can be amazing in defense battles - you can charge out of your gates right at the start and harass the units carrying siege equipment or even their artillery crew. Just make sure to avoid missile fire and other cav.

Quote Originally Posted by AleksiMizaro View Post
    Cavalry can be amazing in defense battles - you can charge out of your gates right at the start and harass the units carrying siege equipment or even their artillery crew. Just make sure to avoid missile fire and other cav.
    Here's a video of me doing this:

Just started playing this gama and wondered if I could find any tips online. After reading pretty much all of this post I now understand SO MUCH MORE! I wanna say a BIG thank you to all who posted/discussed ideas and syrategies. Happy conquering to you all :-)