Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast

Thread: Share your Tricks, Strategies and Ideas

Default Re: share your Tricks and Shortcuts

larger regions with longer roads are hard to patrol, rebell armys could sit a lot of turns on the road, blocking your trades.
    pretty useful in such situations are watchtowers which you have placed along the roads. they are really attractive to rebell armys and instead of sitting at your road the army occupies the tower, leaving the trade untouched (plus you "see" where a rebell army is because the watchtower is no longer yours).
    this can buy you some time before your nearest governor/army is available to chase this brigands.

another battlefield tactic:

Put your missile units out of the "skirmish" mode before battle, but don't forget about them. Their constant running around if enemy is nearby- will not make a lot of use (especially horse-archers). Just watch them and if you see the army is coming dangerously close, quickly reenable them to skirmish mode again. I do this with the horse-misile and foot missile units all the time.

How to do this quickly:

-CTRL+M to select all missile units, then unclick the skirmish button.

Don't be afraid with some of the missile units either... the mongols/russians/hungarian/polish high-valor/noble horsearchers can stand a fight in a meele very well against regular troops, but still try to steer clear of any armored cavalry charges.

Also some armored hand gunners are pretty good in meele fight, I was once able to kill the enemy general with the handgunners of HRE, in a meele.

Also, the AI will pick the closest unit to fire upon, if you have the "engage at will" enabled. Try taking that off and you select who to fire at with your missiles. If the "engage at will" enabled, you can tell them to fire on another unit, but many times, they ignore this command and continue to fire on their own selected targets.

I rather select them a target, because sometimes they are firing on the enemy missile units, and you would be better off if they would concentrate on bigger threats, such as pikemen and other phalanx units, which are usually far more dangerous against your cavalry and your foot solders.
    Last edited by HorseArcher; January 04, 2007 at 01:28 PM.

If you are being pestered with a faction you can’t take out send gangs of spies and assassins into their cities and castles to go on an arson spree. Start with the churches to get the assassin’s skills up. Not only does this slow down the factions unit production but they waste a lot of money in rebuilding.

If the Pope is slowing your’ plans of conquest down with excommunication threats sending enough spies into a town with enough of the public order and happiness buildings trashed will get the target towns to rebel. Then sweep in and take the town without annoying the Pope.

ok, here is my input and my question =)

If you want to end war with an anemy faction soon i suggest to take his castles first so he will not have much to fight with against your troops which will have near support from new-captured castle. (He will have less and you will have more troops).
    Use spys to open gates... use 2 or 3 if necesary so you will be able to attack city/castle as soon as your army reaches it. That way the war will be quick and profitable and you will not pay high upkeeps for armies that are just seaging cities and not making money for your empire.

and here is my question... as HRE what can i best use to fight with on the begining of the battle against units such as musceteers? they have great range and they cause my misile troops to run so soon, usually even before they start shooting back... (that especially on multyplayer)
    Thanks guys/ladies =)
    Sitarus Originalus Pontifex Maximus -30+
    Gen. von Sitar
    also known as original-30+
    Slovenci kremeniti!

Metellus's Avatar Civitate

and here is my question... as HRE what can i best use to fight with on the begining of the battle against units such as musceteers? they have great range and they cause my misile troops to run so soon, usually even before they start shooting back... (that especially on multyplayer)
    Light cavalry I would think. Fast and lightly armoured they can close with the musketeers quickly and disrupt their firing while they hack into them. Pull them out if they are taking heavy losses, then charge them in again later.

Under proud patronage of halie satanus and House of Wilpuri
    Perge cornu canere - sclopetum repleo!
    Trans: Keep honking - I'm reloading!

Semisalis

A little bit of warfare diplomacy...
    As Venice (having kicked out the Bynantines (obviously)), the Turks a pestering me. Probably something to do with me holding on to Constantinople or something similarily ludicrus.

Now, Milan has been excommunicated (again!) so its time to pick their lands. So that's where my army is at. But remaining one half of an army will not hold back the Turks. Little trick, I use. Head for the nearest Turkisch town that does not have a large defensive force. Siege it and conquer (the next turn or the same when there's artillery in my army).

Sack the lot of it (no churches so the Pope is fine with all of this). Then have a diplomat, who just happens to be near a Turkisch unit, offer peace along with the new town and some trade. The Turks will take the deal and be happy about it. You get money, some trade and opportunity to attack on the other frontier (well, as long as the Pope is alive anyway).

Did the same thing against France when playing Spain but then sacked the church aswell. Pope unhappy and the idea backfired. Dit get the peace, but is costs a lot to convince the Pope that I was still a good Catholic.

Quote Originally Posted by tc3 View Post
    my personal favourite is to quickly increase your ENTIRE armed forces experience by crusading. Once you arrive at the target with your one crusading army, seige the place. Then next go, BEFORE you take the town, take all your armies, wherever they may be, and make them crusaders. This will give you upwards of 5-6 stacks, all theoritically going to crusade. Then you finially assault the crusade target with your one original army, and bingo, ALL your troops get an experience bonus! ive had over 120 units getting experience this way, and once youve rinsed and repeated a few times, whoo-haa! bring it on!
    Awesome tip there! Thanks a lot

Going through the city build browser in the campaign map: if you double click/click a lot the the city name, you will see a cursor appear and you can change the name. Only works for places you control.

I've only used this once, and it was an enemy's capitol (after I sacked it). It now is Fuzzlandia.

I thought ballista/cannon towers were bugged and simply don't fire ordinance unless you use the fix? I incorporated the fix in my game and watching flaming ballistas pepper the AI siege towers/rams is awesome. It's saved my ass three times now with my Fortress at Toulouse. I have played late custom games with level 3 siege defences and the cannon shot are frickin kewel.
    In Australia they call me "Didyabringyabeeralong".
    Grand Knight Commander of the Most Military Order of Congealed Snot.

Mooncabbage's Avatar Ducenarius

Quote Originally Posted by The Fuzz View Post
    Going through the city build browser in the campaign map: if you double click/click a lot the the city name, you will see a cursor appear and you can change the name. Only works for places you control.

I've only used this once, and it was an enemy's capitol (after I sacked it). It now is Fuzzlandia.
    ORSM ^_^
    Not actually on the moon.

Empire: Tactical Warfare Mod v1.0

To make a good investment, enter your "list scroll" during your turn, and make sure that each settlement (at least the cities) is building something that would help its economy. If you keep this up, you will eventually make big bucks, which you can use for your own purposes.

Quote Originally Posted by Ticu View Post
    To make a good investment, enter your "list scroll" during your turn, and make sure that each settlement (at least the cities) is building something that would help its economy. If you keep this up, you will eventually make big bucks, which you can use for your own purposes.
    Also to add here, check your town details while adding a building. It shows your "future forecast" by half-visible icons.
    Add one and see on the details page what it does, see which icons jump higher and try another building instead, if the results don't look satisfactory. If you have a town going rebel, try adding a bunch of troops into the queue and see if that would help. Also, watch your ports when you add buidlings . if you see there are more trade routes appear after you adding a building to the queue than that's definitely helps your trade-income.

//edited: removed the hard word "prognosis"// lol.
    Last edited by HorseArcher; January 06, 2007 at 05:39 PM.

If you build a fort on a spot that has a trading resource you will acheive the following:
    1) You can place multiple merchants in the fort and all of them will be generating income
    2) Your merchants will not be attacked by foreign merchants

Quote Originally Posted by glevi View Post
    If you build a fort on a spot that has a trading resource you will acheive the following:
    1) You can place multiple merchants in the fort and all of them will be generating income
    wow, that's a nice one, good find!

How do you know that this works? Does the information scroll take all the merchants you place in that fort into account?

If so...holy crap. Timbuktu could be absolutely insane. I can only imagine five merchants on each thing of gold down there...

"I am what the Gods have made me!"

I have to try that one.

Thats a bit of an exploit. I don't think I want to use it because it is amost (if not) cheating.

But good job on the find.

I don't know if I'd call it an exploit, I'm sure if a Kingdom had control of a powerful income-maker they'd want to defend it and restrict access.

Quote Originally Posted by Premaximum View Post
    How do you know that this works? Does the information scroll take all the merchants you place in that fort into account?

If so...holy crap. Timbuktu could be absolutely insane. I can only imagine five merchants on each thing of gold down there...
    How do I know that it works?
    My merchant trade profit in the current campaign (about 1/2 way through) is 17000+ florins per turn.

I have 2 forts on the amber near Riga, 7-8 merchants in each, 700-1800 florins from each trader, depending on his skill level.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkKnight View Post
    Thats a bit of an exploit. I don't think I want to use it because it is amost (if not) cheating.

But good job on the find.
    I agree with the Fuzz. Not only is this not an exploit, but it also makes perfect sense. By building a fort over a resource all you are doing is forbidding any foreign agent to enter that particular area. Otherwise merchant trade would not make sense in this game. Think about it - if you are allowing a merchant to trade on your land (essentially, take your resource and sell it in his home country) he should either pay taxes or bring some exotic resource to your country that you lack. As far as I know none of this happens, so CA left us the opportunity to at least protect our resources and our merchants on our home land.
    Last edited by Trajan; January 08, 2007 at 04:41 PM. Reason: Merged non-duplicate double post.

It is an exploit without a doubt:
    1) It was not intentially programmed into the game. It is like the swipe exploit in MTW1.
    2) The computer cannot take advantage of it
    3) Your merchants are immune to acquisition.
    4) You are only supposed to have one merchant on a resource. What is the point of having scarce resources if whoever squats on it first can put unlimmited merchants on it.