Page 10 of 32 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: Share your Tricks, Strategies and Ideas

Town Watch's Avatar Domesticus

Default Re: share your Tricks and Shortcuts

Multiplayer tip: in the last minutes of the seige battle, when you are sure about your win, bring a cannon to the town square.

Then as your forces gather around and raise their swords in triumph, use the cannon you brought, to display your infinite and godly power by destroying the nearby town hall, or church.

It looks ****ing hilarious :laughing:
    "What do I feel when I kill my enemy?"
    -Recoil-

LSJ's Avatar Protector Domesticus

When a faction is equal or greater than you in strength, and has better commanders, and you are running low on money, use assassins and spies.
    Go after some captains first. After they gain a few points, go after diplomats. After that, merchants. You have to move up the ladder, because the greater the chance of success, the lower the chance of gaining points for the assassination. Once you have an assassin with seven or so levels, use a spy on the generals to increase the chance of success. Go and kill non-heir family members! If you succeed a few times, you can try going after the heirs, and then, the king. If your assassin is successful like my personal favourite, Nene the Killer (with bonuses equalling 22 levels - over 100% strength), then you can keep your enemies in check. It is harder for them to manage the cities with less royalty.

If your assassin's don't become good enough to have a 95% chance of success while killing family members (like my Nene), then use your spies to go into cities, and use your lower level assassins to destroy the marketplaces and gov't offices; they are easier than murder, and cause economic difficulties.

That is how to save your empire without cheating; your enemies can use assassins, and may try to do so, but they aren't smart enough to level up first before going after the big fish. But you are.

if there is crusade against antioch, if u want to stop crusaders from attacking ur city u should block the brige up north, the crossing to the east and just south of the city that way all attacks are blocked and if needed put a fleet on the west.
    If there is a jihad against Constantinople then u block the west with mutiple armies and then block the strait between constantinople and thessalonica and also the one to the south of constantinople.
    (You only need one unit to block the passages so for example for Antioch you just need 3 or 4 units... But the fleets have to be big cos the invaders often come with large fleets)
    Under the patronage of Noble Savage

Post Tenebras Lux
    European liberal, free trade and civil liberties FTW.
    Attractive, by everyones standards.

Quote Originally Posted by Poet View Post
    Good post Amagi +rep

Can someone give me any tips in battle using my general cause i keep getting this trait "Winning First" and i dunno why, is it because i use my general too much instead of my army?

I've heard that it might be because of selecting "continue battle" instead of "end battle", so that you can run down the last survivors.

oh i see thanks, now i know why and can i have any tips when using my generals in battle?

I believe that it's best not to throw the general who's leading your force into melee right away, it's often better to have him linger around the biggest battles, to prevent your troops from running away. The other generals (if there are any), are pretty good shocktroops.

When in battle do Generals have to fight to get good trait/retinue or does he only have to win a battle?

I just read this 10 page topic. There are great tips/tricks/exploits etc. but i'm going to gather the best of, and retell or if you want "free translate" it into slovak language for my site. I hope it do not interrupt you.

Quote Originally Posted by AdLi View Post
    When in battle do Generals have to fight to get good trait/retinue or does he only have to win a battle?
    yes, he has to fight to get the good traits like terribly scarred, if he dosent fight much he gets bad traits like coward.
    Watch my RTW commentaries here: http://www.youtube.com/MattofRome
    Quote Originally Posted by America
    Killing us just makes us stronger

Can someone give me any tips in battle using my general cause i keep getting this trait "Winning First" and i dunno why, is it because i use my general too much instead of my army?
    I believe the main cause of that trait is having your General sit back and not get involved in enough fighting. I don't think running down routers counts as 'fighting' either. You wont get the trait if your General leads from the front and does his share of fighting, instead you might get chivalric traits and bravery traits. Of course he might die also! It can be a tough balance, especially in castle assaults where there's little room for cavalry to fight in.
    Forever in your arms, you said, forever in my heart
    My love for you will make us both climb higher

^really? cause in my new england campaign, almost all of my generals have that trait, and i use my generals a lot, maybe too much
    kapow!

2 Tricks

Pope killing: Only works with HRE or Italian City State.

VERS 1: Move army to Rome. Do not capture rome. Force pope outside. kill, do not attack rome. continue cycle.

VERS 2: Capture Rome. Afterwards, peace with Pope. You have gained Rome.

Raids: This works as anyone, but AI can use it.

Build a small cavalry army. Don't make it big, or a massive hoard of enemies will attack.

I once beat Denmark with this as England. They were tougher then me.

Use small cavalry army. Search out trebuchets and slow moving siege weapons, or target Family Members.

If they are aajacent to big army, 2 things u can do;

If you have family member raiding who can fight at night, use that.

If not, kill the weak troops, then retreat orderly before enemy arrives.

If you do this constantly, the enemy will lose a good amount of commanders, and its slow moving siege weapons. (Why to kill siege: Generally, those trebs can tear down your walls, making them useless. Killing them makes it hard for enemy to actually beat you in sieges. Therefore, you can kill bigger armies, or at least kill a good amount of bigger armies, causing enemies to be depleteted. )

Quote Originally Posted by Sammyboi View Post
    I believe the main cause of that trait is having your General sit back and not get involved in enough fighting. I don't think running down routers counts as 'fighting' either. You wont get the trait if your General leads from the front and does his share of fighting, instead you might get chivalric traits and bravery traits. Of course he might die also! It can be a tough balance, especially in castle assaults where there's little room for cavalry to fight in.
    I thought it was due to not stopping your archers from firing and letting them cause some friendly fire casualties.

Quote Originally Posted by HippyCHimp View Post
    I thought it was due to not stopping your archers from firing and letting them cause some friendly fire casualties.
    It's probably down to several things. I've seen it happen in armies with no archers at all!
    Forever in your arms, you said, forever in my heart
    My love for you will make us both climb higher

you guys want to know a hardcore trick!?

(Sorry if I'm outdated and everyone already knew this)

To get hundreds of hundreds of stakes placed before battle, you can place stakes an infinite amount of times, not just once, then move your units that placed them anywhere you want in deployment and the stakes will still be there...

take the stake unit, and decide where to place the stakes, then press = or - continuously with the F key(special ability).

you'll have thousands of stakes placed, and then you can build all kinds of contraptions and fortresses out of your stakes, move your unit to where you want the stakes placed again, and then do the samr thing - or = back and forth with the F key.
    Original Creator of Renaissance Total War (MTW2)
    Creator of Medieval Classic (MTW2)
    Maker of Instant Tech Mod (ETW)
    Maker of Infinite Money Campaign (ETW)
    Maker of Blockbuster Music Mod (ETW):
    http://www.2shared.com/file/5209733/...Music_Mod.html
    A Top Contributor of the Downloads Section
    Under the Patronage of Selenius4tsd

Germanicus75's Avatar Domesticus

(Adding this to the list)

So far, playing 1.2.

As soon as a diplomat or princess of a neutral or even allied faction appears outside one your settlements, stops there and every turn appears to be trying to instigate diplomatic relations with you (in reality probably trying to bribe you), it means your relations with them are falling and you need to act soon in order to avoid actual war (or at least break of alliance).
    This is little more than advance warning from the AI that it is growing disgruntled with you and considering you as a possible target for attack (just as in RTW). You must act soon.

Give them some money - either a one-off hand out or a regular tribute. It doesn't need to be much. Almost anything will do.

In almost every case that I've done this to the diplomat or princess, that agent has moved away from my settlement the same or next turn and left me alone. The threat is gone - at least until next time.

If you kill the AI agent, they will just send another one almost always. You need to appease them, not anger them.

The "winning first" in opposite to "fair fighter" depends on your army size in comparison to the enemies army size. If you outnumber the enemy from the beginning of the battle you are more interested in winning than in chivalry and thus get that trait. Often you cannot avoid getting that trait, for example when the AI besieges your settlement regardless of garrison troups.

Single player muslim tip:

NEVER, unless you are being crusaded against, attack a crusade army. Your relations with most if not all catholic factions will drop immediatly.
    A thief is a king till he's caught.

Dwell not upon thy weariness, thy strength shall be according to the measure of thy desire.

Grand Duke Vytautas's Avatar Dueling it out
    Citizen

Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Universe, lol

Quote Originally Posted by Oxberger View Post
    Single player muslim tip:

NEVER, unless you are being crusaded against, attack a crusade army. Your relations with most if not all catholic factions will drop immediatly.
    This applies especially to Byzantium, when crusaders go through your lands - learned the hard way it's better let them go or better offer military access to them. I've had relations go down to abysmal with all catholic factions as Byz when I attacked English crusade, so better leave them alone + they act as a nice buffer against muslims
    “Great empires are not maintained by timidity.” ― Tacitus