Thread: Chapter One: 1959, Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry

Default Chapter One: 1959, Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry

Hogwarts School, 1959

The school year was drawing to a close, and with it exams came and went. For the Seventh year students at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry this meant sitting for the most important exams they would ever take. N.E.W.T.S. certifications will determine their qualifications for future employment. Results were being posted to the long boards set up outside the Great Hall. Each student had a tab for their name, and the qualifications achieved beneath them.

Last edited by Pontifex Maximus; December 21, 2017 at 06:33 PM.

Default Re: Chapter One: 1959, Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry

Penelope Scarrow made her way down from the Ravenclaw tower trying to appear as if was not dying on the inside. She felt confident in her Defense Against the Dark Arts exam, but she was certain she had ruined her chances on Charms by failing to identify a simple levitation charm. It was so simple she had simply not believed it was so. This was a NEWT exam, the questions weren't supposed to be straight forward. She remembered chewing her nails as she scribbled down answers,answers she was sure were wrong now. She took the stairs at a pace, nearly losing her footing. Her tie felt tight against her neck, almost affecting her breathing. She passed that annoying boy from Gryffindor who hadn't left her alone all year. A boy one year younger than herself and lacking any sense. He gave her a smile as she passed that she returned weakly. Finally the Atrium loomed before her. She floated down the last few steps and walked breathlessly to the board. It took her some time to find her name. When she did, she closed her eyes for a moment. She felt the terror rising in her throat like bile and finally she opened her eyes and squinted at the tiny text.

Defense Against the Dark Arts: Outstanding
    Charms: Exceeds Expectations
    Potions: Outstanding
    Herbology: Outstanding
    Arithmancy: Oustanding
    Transfiguration: Exceeds Expectations.

She scowled at the last one. Transfiguration had always seemed like just an advanced Charms lesson, not her favorite subject, but she had studied hard for it! Still, it was enough. She knew Aurors would need at least five NEWTs to be considered eligible for employment. She had accomplished what she had set out to do and more. Her application was already filled out, sitting on her desk with blanks only on NEWT results. She could hardly wait to skip back up the steps and fill them in.

Trot's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Mathis made his way from the Griffendor tower sweat on his palms. He had been studying all month sleepless nights and days in the library. All for this his attempt at the NEWTs, he had felt confident in his Defense Against the Dark Arts and Transfiguration scores those had always been his two best. But he might have choked on that last potion. He needed high NEWT scores if he was to make it as an Auror. Professor Binns was adamant that all Aurors had at least five Outstandings and Two Exceeds Expectations. So as he walked to the main hall to see his scores his heart pounded and the nervous flutter in his stomach. As he entered the atrium he saw a fellow seventh year Penelope Scarrow from Ravenclaw, and to his dismay Dalia. His heart sank when he saw her looking at the scores. She still refused to talk to him after the incident with her brother, and that pained him more than anything. Ignoring both girls for the time being he walked to see his NEWT scores.

Charms: Exceeds Expectations
    Potions: Exceeds Expectations
    Astronomy: Outstanding
    Care of Magical Creature: Outstanding
    Transfiguration: Outstanding

He let out a sigh of relieve on seeing the score. The Potions grade was expected, and the Charms was a tad disappointing, but in the end he had done it. Five Os and two Es was enough for the Auror academy. He looked up and saw Dalia scowling at her own results and turned away quickly not trying to catch her eye, and his good mood evaporated. Why did still a year and a half later seeing her still do this to him? He had tried dating other people after, but nothing had lasted long, it had never been the same as with her. It was these thoughts that distracted him as he nearly ran into the Ravenclaw girl Penelope.

"S-sorry," He manages to stammer out on realizing his mistake.

Scarrow turned, almost knocked off balance. Her neatly braided black hair hung over her left shoulder. "Mathis, how did you do?" she asked. Her own smile began to fade into something of a neutral expression as soon as he had caught a glimpse of his face. There wasn't triumph there, perhaps it was muted sadness. She hadn't expected to see anything less, she supposed. He was less and less his normal self since he had dueled and lost to Dalia's brother. A sordid affair to be sure and she did not approve of it one bit. This might be something else, maybe he had flunked some of his exams. She proceeded with caution. "Is something the matter?"

Axis Sunsoar's Avatar Domesticus

Glenn Richards dragged himself out of bed and tossed back the curtains. Sunlight poured through the windows, eliciting a pained groan. He had nearly completed seven full years of schooling at Hogwarts, and still had not managed to master waking up on time. He dressed hurriedly, perhaps a little sloppily, and dashed out the door. NEWT scores would be posted in the Great Hall. He stopped briefly in the kitchen, reflecting that with the number of times he had slept in and missed breakfast, it was good that he had been friendly enough to the House Elves in the kitchen that they were always willing to spot him some leftovers.

One apple fritter and a haphazard dash through the halls later, Glenn was standing in front of the board crowding in with a number of other seventh years, finally allowing himself to take a moment to reflect on his performance. Charms, Herbology, and Transfiguration were practically guaranteed O's, but Defense Against the Dark Arts and Potions? He doubted he had fared nearly so well. He was at least halfway confident in his performance on the Astronomy exam, not that he was sure why he had taken it, and had that really been Sagittarius on the last question? He finally got close enough to see his scores.

Defense Against the Dark Arts: Exceeds Expectations
    Charms: Outstanding
    Potions: Exceeds Expectations
    Astronomy: Outstanding

Excitement and triumph bubbled up as he fervently scanned over his scores once, twice, three times to make sure he was really seeing the right things. He was. Six NEWTS taken, 4 O's, 2 E's. An extremely successful score, by any standards. He turned away from the board, thinking he might treat himself to another pastry from the kitchens before his day really began, and almost crashed into the back of a Gryffindor who had stopped in the middle of the hall for some reason. Mathis... Hayes, he recalled, even as he sputtered out an involuntary "Merlin's Beard!"

He abruptly noticed the reason that Mathis had stopped. It didn't take him even a second to recognize Penelope Scarrow. The Ravenclaw girl had always scared him a little, partially due to her curse proficiency, and partially due to... something. Maybe it had to do with her prodigious family history, maybe something in her character, but she had always seemed dark to him. He shrugged and stepped up alongside his fellow students to try and disguise his own near fall, perhaps standing slightly closer to Mathis than Penelope.

Due to his friendly nature, Glenn was acquainted and on good terms with many of his fellow seventh years, even a few sixth years, although he didn't really consider many people to be his close friends, he could hold a conversation with most of them. This being the case, he wasn't too concerned about jumping into the conversation that had started due to this near collision. He half-raised a hand in greeting and began "How'd you both d-" cutting himself off as he caught the tail end of Penelope asking Mathis if something was the matter. He turned to the Gryffindor boy, that he did indeed appear rather downtrodden. Glancing past Mathis, Glenn noticed that Slytherin he had dated a couple years ago just as she disappeared around a corner and winced, putting the gloomy look together with the recent presence of Dalia rather quickly.
    Last edited by Axis Sunsoar; December 22, 2017 at 12:41 PM.

Mathis forced a smile on to his face. He liked Penelope, but he didn't feel comfortable burdening them with his problems. She had seemed somewhat aloof to him when they first met although that had proved to be false once he got to know her better. Still it was his problem not anyone elses to deal with, his eyes however followed Dalia as she left the room betraying his thoughts. When she was gone he finally managed to replay in a voice that seemed falsely cheery.

"5 Os and 2 Es not to bad. I thought my charms score would have better," He shrugged as if to say it made no difference, and then notice Glenn stepping up to them. The other youth had been the first person Mathis met on the Hogwarts express, and he'd always liked the other boy. He was one of the few that actually knew Mathis's true feelings for Dalia.

"How did you two do?" He hoped to deflect the conversation away from him for now. He still found it awkward to talk about.

Penelope regarded Glenn with a roaming eye. He was an attractive lad, especially with those bright eyes. But as a Hufflepuff he was just as vapid as the rest of them. He was friendly but bordered on saccharine. She was glad Mathis had changed the subject, she was not prepared to counselanother heartbroken friend in a tragic teenaged romance. She was just as hesitant about sharing her grades with them as well. "Well enough, it should be enough to make Auror." She said with a smile. Her bosom rose in excitement, she was becoming breathless again, almost giddy at the thought. Her ambition to became an Auror was no secret, and given the others' participation in activities such as the dueling club, she suspected they did as well.

Glenn recalled his first meeting with Mathis when they were both wide-eyed not even first years aboard the Hogwarts Express. No doubt the two would have become very good friends had the sorting worked out differently, but being in different houses they did not speak as often as they might have. Regardless, he still liked the Gryffindor, and did consider him a friend. Recognizing Mathis' goal in changing the topic quickly, Glenn dropped a companionable pat onto the other boy's shoulder in a gesture of sympathy, even as he added, "Well enough here as well. For whatever it is I'm going to do with it." He shrugged lightheartedly, the kind of person to live in the moment rather than planning things out. He liked to think it had created more rewarding situations than unfortunate ones throughout his life.

He noted the excitement in Penelope's tone. She probably already had that Auror application filled out in her room, just waiting for the NEWT scores to go along with it. He offered her a nod, eyes flashing with amusement at the thought. "Good job," he said lamely, not exactly sure what level of praise was appropriate. Continuing off the theme she had set he turned back to Mathis. "Any thoughts on what you're going to do with all those scores?" he asked.

chesser2538's Avatar Senator
    Citizen

A tall stout figure with a head of thick black hair that was tied backstood silently gazing at charmed board in front of him, repeatedly looking back over the results. His face a mix of jubilation and pent anger. Most of the scores were as he had expected, having found the exams challenging but not beyond his ability. The first two results however left a foul taste in his mouth. Thinking over the event in his head, he knew it was not a matter of his written but his practicals. It had been the same examiner for both tests, a rather elderly witch from the ministry that while knowledgeable in her fields was completely unimaginative to new ideas. She was unable to see the benefit of a new rune scheme he had introduced for a glass to automatically refill from a targeted bottle. Nor has she been impressed when he had solved a particularly challenging problem set in his head, and had kept asking where the numbers were coming from.Noticing a presence now he turned to see his lovely Ramilda standing by his side. "Soooo, how did you do?" she asked in a charming brogue that identified her Scottish heritage. Getting a questioning look on his face before remembering that the boards were charmed so only the recipient would be able to read the letter grade of the text. "Ah, very well my dear" his face awash in a charming smile. Looking back to the board he begins reading off the results.

Edmund Fawley

Arithmancy:
    Exceeds Expectations
    Ancient Runes: Exceeds Expectations
    Potions:
    Outstanding

Getting an excited look on her face Ramilda replies "Oh that's great Edmund, with scores like that you can gain employ anywhere you like." Feeling awash in the moment he answers back "Yes I suppose so..." curious now of Ramilda's own successes he asks "I'm sure your scores were impressive as well." Getting a very Ravenclaw look on her face; a mix of satisfaction, determination, and frustration she answers. "Well..." pausing now dragging out the moment "I made three O's and three E's." Smiling at the news "That's very good dear, I...

The moment was interrupted by one of their fellow classmates a rather short busty girl with long blonde hair "Ramilda, you won't believe what happened" delivered with a high pitched and bubbly tone. Unable to help himself Edmund japed "I'd assume assume you got good scores" Looking at Edmund now, the girl whose name escaped him for some reason replied back "Umm... yeah that's right, how did you know?" Barely containing himself he looked the girl over wondered how some of his classmates could be so smart but so oblivious. "A lucky guess... Katie" now remembering the girls name." Looking back to his love "I'll let you girls chat, we can meet up later." with that he made his way over to a nearby table where a group of boys were playing a game of wizard chess.

Under the Patronage of the venerable General Brewster

Mathis considered the other boy. He gad opportunity to gain employment anywhere he liked with those scores, but the truth is only one job really appealed to him. The auror corps. The most elite of the wizarding world dedicated to protecting it. His mind flashed back to Tristan standing over him say 'You'll never amount to anything mudblood.' Before leaving him lying on the ground in a full body bind curse.

Wizards like him had been a blight on Tristan's stay in Hogwarts, their smug superiority at their long lineages as though it made them somehow better. Mathis had worked just as hard as any of them and it had paid off.

"Eh not sure yet Glenn, I have some ideas but we shall see. What of you?" He asks wondering the other boys plans.

[Penelope Ready for Chapter 2 - let me know when you guys are. Take your time]

Glenn shrugged. "I don't know, I'll probably just find something where I can focus on herbology and practice charms while the machinations of the wider world pass me by." He thought for a moment "Maybe I'll come back and apply to be a teacher here at some point," he added.

Mathis nodded Glenn had always excelled in the natural magics. Herbology was his passion, "I don't think I'd care much for teaching, but I might try to find something to do with magical creatures." When he had been allowed to choose electives in his third year he had wasted no time signing up for Care of Magical creatures. Before he had learned of his abilities he had wanted to be a zookeeper of all things. His love of animals had not changed in Hogwarts either he had done well in Care of Magical creatures, he had thought of going to Romania to work with dragons until his duel with Tristan when the first time Auror had looked like a possible career choice. "But regardless I should have some options."

"Well, let's hope we both find somewhere our passions can play into our eventual careers. You never know, if I wind up in herbology and you wind up working with magical creatures, perhaps our professional paths could intersect." He suggested with a smile. "Best of luck with your career plans," he extended a hand for a parting handshake and paused for a moment to ensure that Penelope had moved on and no one else was too close, "and best of luck besides those," he offered. "I'm sure it will get better when your out of this place. I hope we'll stay in touch and run into each other down the road."

OOC: ready for chapter 2

Mathis takes the boys hand, "I hope to keep in touch. Best of luck to you." With that Mathis turns back to his thoughts retreating to Griffendor tower.

ooc: Next step it is.

Lord William's Avatar Duke of Nottingham
    Citizen

Robert had studied hard for the examation he was confident he did well on all the exams, He approached the wall and looked for his paper.

Arithmancy: Outstanding
    Ancient Runes: Exceeds Expectations
    Potions: Outstanding

Upon viewing his grade for Ancient Runes Robert shunned away his head in disgust

Section Editor ES
    LibrarianLocal ModeratorCitizenCdeC
    Under the patronage of Jom • Patron of Riverknight & Stildawn