Thread: Late Game DE Army Compositions

Icon5 Late Game DE Army Compositions

Hi,

I'm well on my way to winning (eventually!) a DE campaign on Hard. I decided to just ignore the rituals and work towards a victory by elimination. But I'm a little confused about what units to field in my armies now that I'm in late game, approaching turn 200.

Specifically, the HE late game armies usually have an obscene number of large/monster units in them (4-6 per army). They just seem to trash my lines and make a mess of my infantry.

What are the best units to counter these units types for DE?

What should be the ratio of missile to melee troops in my armies?

How much of the artillery unit should I be fielding, maybe 2?

I have a "fun" army with Malekith that has 4 hydras and 2 black dragons. But for countering the large units, I'm guessing maybe I need a front line of Black Guard with shades or other missile troops (?).

What has worked for you in this situation?

Thanks.

--Jeremy

Default Re: Late Game DE Army Compositions

Hello!

If you're asking specifically against HE, my main strategy in the campaign is to counter their dragons with a ton of Shades -- specifically, Shades with Greatswords. In my ME campaigns with the DE, Shades are one of the biggest advantages that the DE have over most armies. They can stalk, and they have uber powerful, armor-piercing ammo. When two or three Shade units get in range of most any of the opposing armies' ranged units, it's game over (e.g. the HE archers are no match against Shades when the latter are in range). I might go as far as saying that Shades are one of the most valuable ranged units in the game.

However, if you just went in with Shades, you'd still have an extremely difficult fight, as the dragons can just swoop down and rip your archers apart. What I like to do, is have a couple of Black Dragons to supplement my Shades -- so if HE dragons approach, you can have your dragons distract them (ideally in the air), while your Shades take care of them. This is especially easy because dragons, like most monsters in the game, lack sufficient armor and are extremely vulnerable to ranged units (I tried fighting a Wood Elf stack with twenty dragons and nearly lost).

So if you're looking to fill a stack, and have good funds at your disposal, I would go with at least 4 or 5 Black Guard, 6 or 7 Shades, at least 2 dragons, and the rest is sort of up to you (I tend to go with Executioners, since Dark Riders are really only useful in certain situations since they're so weak.). The Black Guard are gluttons for damage, so they'll hold the line against pretty much anything but heavy sword infantry (which, if you're smart, you can take out quickly with your Shades).

The one thing I would recommend against is having any artillery for late-game HE / DE armies that are fighting each other. Elven artillery (which I think is of just one variety, the "claw") is extremely useful in the early game when no one has armor (Light Archers, Spearmen, Dreadspears, etc. get torn apart by this artillery), but in the late game, it's really a waste of a spot if you can afford better units (e.g. dragons, maybe a hydra or two).