Thread: Vertices and bones problems

Big Bear's Avatar Tiro

Default Vertices and bones problems

Hi, still working away at my fantasy mod intermittently. See now, my computer went on me again and had to reinstall Windows, however gave 3Dmax a shot and up it came for a month. I can do a fair bit but am by no means the 3Dmax master. The present problem is hair, i have a girl Highlander, an she as long hair. Looks Ok in Max, but the thing look awful with the animation. the long hair tilting up when she bends her head. So i need to assign the bottom vertices's to the torso bone and the top to the head bone. Don't know how to do it, simple as that. Any help out there in Total War land?

Also does anybody know how to create flying creatures for RTW. Have a flying dragon working but would like Eagles or even flying Vampires.

Big Bear

Gen.jamesWolfe's Avatar Vicarius

Default Re: Vertices and bones problems

The answer depends on how the hair is attached; is it part of the body itself, or a separate entity?

if latter, you need to add the skin modifier (you know that drop-down menu above where you see stuff like editable mesh and skin? hit it, press s a few times, it it'll show).

You then need to expand that (should give you "envelope"), check select by vertex, uncheck the two other stuff. There will be a place below that with a blank box, and under that buttons to assign skeleton/bones. Click the button you need, it'll open the heirarchy. Select all bones EXCEPT scene_root (which technically is ne bone), and hit the botton to assign them to your hair.

Once done, you should be able to go up to a big button that lets you assign vertices to the appropriate bone. Hit it; go to the bottom left, and there make sure it's set to "selected vertices". Then select the vertices you want to move with the torso, assign them to bone_torse. The stuff you want rooted to the head you must assign to bone_head. Both assignments should read 1.0, all other bones 0 (default should be 0.055). For best results, give the bone_torso assignment to vertices below where the human atlas would go (aka the base of the skull in the back)

If you have questions, quote me, so I can see you on Tapatalk.
    Last edited by Gen.jamesWolfe; February 04, 2018 at 02:14 AM.
    I haz a culler!! (really, who gives a darn? its totally meaningless, and it doesn't really accurately reflect who I am)

gen james do you know of tutorial to add weight 1.00 to units cape? i try to add cape from 1 unit to the other and says cape needs weight added but i cannot do this? can help?

Gen.jamesWolfe's Avatar Vicarius

Quote Originally Posted by king almighty View Post
    gen james do you know of tutorial to add weight 1.00 to units cape? i try to add cape from 1 unit to the other and says cape needs weight added but i cannot do this? can help?
    Same as with the hair, but instead of weighing to the head, the portions should be weighed to the bone_cloak sets (there are three bone_cloak bones). Assign them to the correct bones based on position of the vertices--just like with the hair.

Believe me, it's not hard: the bones are self-explanatory when it comes to naming conventions.
    I haz a culler!! (really, who gives a darn? its totally meaningless, and it doesn't really accurately reflect who I am)

thx bro for the response but i cant quite make it happen. who needs capes anyway.

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

I did a tutorial (10 years ago). Sadly the images are lost. Please don't ask me what any of it means, it was 10 years ago!. But if you're making models the terminology should make sense. I know I explained it all in a very simple step by step form.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...hting-tutorial

[CITA = Halie Satanus; 15556770] Hice un tutorial (hace 10 años). Lamentablemente, las imágenes se pierden. Por favor, no me pregunten qué significa eso, ¡fue hace 10 años !. Pero si estás haciendo modelos, la terminología debería tener sentido. Sé que lo expliqué todo en una forma muy simple paso a paso.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...hting-tutorial [/ QUOTE]

good friend makes a couple of units for me, but I could never do the functions of the layers correctly because of my lack of correct knowledge of 3d max. I'm going to try to prove his explanations, then if I learn correctly he does a tutorial with video
    Me imagino que Anastacio The Great, cuando hiso sus spartanos ATG sabia mucho de 3dmax