Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: How To Create a New Faction (using Normans/Saxons)

Default Re: Tutorial: How To Create a New Faction (using Normans/Saxons)

You should add section(s) explaining about how to change the culture, religion, character potraits and voices of that section (the faction you create might not be northern european catholic, after all)

The first two are easy and can be done in descr_sm_factions. The other two I'm not sure about and an explanation would help me too, since I'm planning to convert the Aztecs into a european faction.

selenius4tsd's Avatar Happiness Is A Warm Gun

Quote Originally Posted by Eudorus View Post
    no offence but actually it is, Most factions that people will make will have one of them or both, but the factions as they are cant have them..., so the faction isnt added properly/finished.
    Um.. Im not taking offense, especially since theres no offense to be taken.

This tutorial deals with adding the faction, not adding units specifically. There are tutorials that deal with this matter already. I have given the link in the FP to a tutorial that does what you are asking.

@ Time Commander Bob: Tell you what. I will create another tutorial showing people how to edit all of what you just said. I dont believe it should belong in the same thread as another tut - things may get scrambled.

I got it working, and i modified JUST export_descr_buildings and put JUST that file in my data folder, then made a batch file with the line it says to put in the unpacker readme, but now if i try to start up the game with the batch file, it crashes before it even gets to the company ad's, any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by seby410 View Post
    I got it working, and i modified JUST export_descr_buildings and put JUST that file in my data folder, then made a batch file with the line it says to put in the unpacker readme, but now if i try to start up the game with the batch file, it crashes before it even gets to the company ad's, any suggestions?
    Did you delete the files it says to delete in the unpacker readme? Have you made a cfg file?

Never mind, i didnt close up one of the lists of factions with a comma

ok, 1 last thing, i tried adding units to the faction, here is an example of how i did it
    recruit_pool "Town Militia" 1 0.2 2 0 requires factions { england, scotland, france, hre, denmark, spain, portugal, Normans, saxons, }
    Did i do something wrong, because i can still only train the default saxon units
    Last edited by Trajan; January 22, 2007 at 05:54 PM. Reason: Merged non-duplicate double post.

Have you added them in to the units faction list the EDU aswell?

How? I just followed the steps in the tut, lol, im no modder, just want the saxons in my game. Thanks for the help

selenius4tsd's Avatar Happiness Is A Warm Gun

@seby410: Saxons cannot recruit town militia by default; as already said, they have to be added to the export_descr_units file. I posted the link to a tutorial that explains it better in the first post, so try that.
    Under the patronage of vikrant
    Patron of Ramtha, Alletun, finneys13, SirPaladin and GrnEyedDvl

thoscme's Avatar Semisalis

okai, so i want to make the normans/saxons to a norwegian faction, since there are nothing as that in vanilla.
    but, i don't quite understand what you mean when you are adding troops. i understood that show_cursorstat thing, but when i add the faction leader you had in the tutorial, it didn't work, and i doesn't understand why.. you meant that we should copy the army you had in your first post right?
    sorry, this was a bit messy post, but hope someone understand it anyway..
    proud norwegian

Soulghast's Avatar RAWR!

Quote Originally Posted by thoscme View Post
    okai, so i want to make the normans/saxons to a norwegian faction, since there are nothing as that in vanilla.
    but, i don't quite understand what you mean when you are adding troops. i understood that show_cursorstat thing, but when i add the faction leader you had in the tutorial, it didn't work, and i doesn't understand why.. you meant that we should copy the army you had in your first post right?
    sorry, this was a bit messy post, but hope someone understand it anyway..
    You used Normans or Saxons?

thoscme's Avatar Semisalis

Quote Originally Posted by RTR Fan View Post
    You used Normans or Saxons?
    i used normans..
    why?
    proud norwegian

Hex Khan's Avatar Oooooh Yeeeaah!!

ah so thats what those files do! seems to be worth playing with i've stumbled across them and wondered what they for and what would happen if i screwed around with them.

Having a go now.

One question though, when you export units to make up a faction's army, will the units bear the faction's colours? I recall playing around with the gothic knights by giving them to scotland and they turned into the liquid T-1000 or is that because i screwed up somewhere?

thanks for the tutorial
    Historical Reenactor and Proud of it
    Winner of Best AAR Writer Award 2007

where do i find export decr_unit and building i cant find them in the data folder

Hex Khan's Avatar Oooooh Yeeeaah!!

you have to patch the game to V1.1 and once you've installed the patch you will find a folder called 'tools' and in there, there is a programme called unpack_all you run that and it will then make all the forementioned files available to you, and welcome to the world of modding
    Historical Reenactor and Proud of it
    Winner of Best AAR Writer Award 2007

The Border Reiver's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

Hey Selenius

Fantastic tutorial mate...I have added Aragon and Ireland to my campaign....thankyou.

I have a question related to using these 2 faction slots that I am hoping you or someone else can help with.

How do I reduce the income that is produced by these factions slots. Each of these factions is producing 5000 per turn on VH/VH with only one town? Is there a particular file that reduces this?

cheers and thankyou!

I just converted the Normans into the Aragonese. Everything is basically done, but I can't figure out were the interface UI shield is located (the one opposite the hour glass & on diplomacy tab). I was able to change the Saxon shield to that of the Angevins, but it looks like the Normans share the English shield.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?
    Last edited by SicilianVespers; February 13, 2007 at 07:21 AM.

Chivalry II TW : The Sicilian Vespers - The Multi-Era Mod Project (MIITW/Kingdoms)
    Chivalry I TW - The Original Medieval Total Conversion Mod (BI 1.6 Or RTW 1.5)
    Under the Patronage of Atterdag

Lord Condormanius's Avatar Artifex

This was pretty cool. I added the Saxons and changed them to Ireland. I was surprised to find how incredibly (relatively) easy it was. Thanks for the tutorial.

Now how do I get them to quit with the German accents? I would also like to change the banners and customize them. Any and all help would be appreciated as I am pretty novice to modding.

-s

I found a work around for the missing FACTION_LOGO slot.

Since the Aztecs don't really appear until the end of the campaign, I just used their slot for my Aragonese/Normans.

If you use a fake name for the FACTION_LOGO & SMALL_FACTION_LOGO in descr_sm_factions, it defaults to a castle icon in place of the coat of arms. I can live with this for the Aztecs.

Chivalry II TW : The Sicilian Vespers - The Multi-Era Mod Project (MIITW/Kingdoms)
    Chivalry I TW - The Original Medieval Total Conversion Mod (BI 1.6 Or RTW 1.5)
    Under the Patronage of Atterdag

Mighty Oggy's Avatar Laetus

Hello,

I tried to add the Normans, but when I tried to play a battle with them in my mod, it crashed (The screen turned black and I couldn't do anything but reset my computer). After that I tried to play a custom battle with my vanilla version (without Normans), and it crashed in the same way .
    I'm using a mod swith and I'm quite sure I didn't touch the vanilla files. The system log showed an entire list of missing files. Should I reinstall my game or are there other possibilities?

Thanks in advance.

Default Re: problems with saxons

I have edited the code in descr_strat.txt, descr_win_conditions.txt and I cannot play the saxons in the grand campaign. I put everything you put but changed names to saxons and used Saxon names for leader and made saxon units like theigns instead of sergeant spearmen and made the saxons win conditions and not normans and everything. and it still does not work

I can click on saxons faction icon in grand campaign selection but when I click it it goes back to the main menu. When I used all the code u made for the normans I could be them in the campaign no problem but I think there's a problem with the saxons because I can't make them playable. I can't play ANY faction when the saxons are entered in the strat.txt file.

so i will show u what I wrote down and please tell me what is wrong

faction saxons, sailor napoleon
    ai_label catholic
    denari 10000
    denari_kings_purse 5000
    settlement
    {
    level small_town
    region York_Province

year_founded 0
    population 800
    plan_set default_set
    faction_creator england
    building
    {
    type core_castle_building motte_and_bailey
    }
    }

character Johann, named character, male, leader, age 20, x106, y164
    traits GoodCommander 2, Intelligent 2, VictorVirtue 3
    army
    unit Saxon Bodyguard (my king's unit) exp 0 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
    unit Theigns exp 0 armour 0 weapon_lvl 0
    blah blah blah i only put saxon units in and welsh longbowmen mercenaries

character_record Cecilia, female, age 36, alive, never_a_leader
    relative Johann, Cecilia, end

I don't understand why I can't get it to work when the Norman mod worked.