Thread: Campaign/Battle difficulty 1.2.2e release?

waidizss's Avatar Ordinarius

Default Campaign/Battle difficulty 1.2.2e release?

What is the current 'recommended' campaign/battle difficulty? Should I stick to the good old H/H or have there been changes in battle mechanics that would be better suited for H/N?
    Data Venia hardcore couch general edition: 'Competent' AI, reworked unit stats, realistic speeds, more planning, more strategy, less arcade, less cheese.

Get that feel that you are campaigning, not simply steamrolling, now only £9.99 monthly subscription for your advanced Lucius Licinius Lucullus' guide to subjugating the east.

♔Greek Strategos♔'s Avatar THE BEARDED MACE
    took an arrow to the knee

Default Re: Campaign/Battle difficulty 1.2.2e release?

Quote Originally Posted by waidizss View Post
    What is the current 'recommended' campaign/battle difficulty? Should I stick to the good old H/H or have there been changes in battle mechanics that would be better suited for H/N?
    Αctually the recommended one is H/N.
    You could go with H/H but the battles are mostly tested and balanced on N.

For campaigns I recommend Normal actually in 1.2. The CAI is hyper aggressive on Hard. But its all up to preference.

----> Website -- Patreon -- Steam -- Forums -- Youtube -- Facebook <----

Also important is to know the faction you choose to play, before choosing the difficulty setting.

Quote Originally Posted by Dresden View Post
    For campaigns I recommend Normal actually in 1.2. The CAI is hyper aggressive on Hard. But its all up to preference.
    I played with VH in campaign, but I only felt that AI is hyper aggressive against other AI and they rarely declare war on me.
    Did you actually made CAI in VH and legendary more aggressive than H or they stay the same?

Its all subjective. Some people find Normal too aggressive, some people find VH too easy.

I think N/N is really recommendable, especially for newcomers. And with the new mechanics it's even more recommendable even for veterans. My current campaign is on N/N as well and it's still fun and a challenge although I just started.

There is no shame in picking normal difficulty, especiallly in DeI.

Quote Originally Posted by Dresden View Post
    Its all subjective. Some people find Normal too aggressive, some people find VH too easy.
    Definitely. Anyway I did always keep my borders defended and maintain good relations with large factions nearby so that might be one of the reason.
    Btw, I also want to learn a bit on what table actually governs CAI's behavior on different difficulties.
    I did not see anything related to AI's aggressiveness in campaign difficulty handicap table.

Its hardcoded, I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoplitus View Post
    I think N/N is really recommendable, especially for newcomers. And with the new mechanics it's even more recommendable even for veterans. My current campaign is on N/N as well and it's still fun and a challenge although I just started.

There is no shame in picking normal difficulty, especiallly in DeI.
    You could also use the softcore-hardcore submods anytime.

waidizss's Avatar Ordinarius

H/N does seem a sound difficulty to play on for roleplaying reasons. The amount of handicap inherent in restraining yourself does raise the difficulty enough to keep it interesting (not just a steam roll) and fun. Who are these people that play VH/VH and what is wrong with them?
    Data Venia hardcore couch general edition: 'Competent' AI, reworked unit stats, realistic speeds, more planning, more strategy, less arcade, less cheese.

Get that feel that you are campaigning, not simply steamrolling, now only £9.99 monthly subscription for your advanced Lucius Licinius Lucullus' guide to subjugating the east.

Quote Originally Posted by waidizss View Post
    H/N does seem a sound difficulty to play on for roleplaying reasons. The amount of handicap inherent in restraining yourself does raise the difficulty enough to keep it interesting (not just a steam roll) and fun. Who are these people that play VH/VH and what is wrong with them?
    You know. I'm playing total war games since Shogun 1 (yeah I'm that old ) and I can't imagine myself Playing DEI on very hard except with Romans.
    I usually like turtle style campaigns with much role-playing and slow advance H/H or H/VH with Romans. I occasionally use Hardcore submod when I'm doing swell.
    Last edited by ♔Greek Strategos♔; December 13, 2017 at 02:30 AM.

iam playing the campaign in multiplayer in battles hard,campaign hard,playing all battles the human players.
    i've played several multiplayer campaigns on that difficulty with carthage and the other human player rome and the human player with rome was defeated by epirus and etruscans of the AI with the battles played by human players.
    i with carthage send two armies to the magna greece that already belonged in its entirety to epiro to protect my ally epiro.
    without intervening in the combats, only warning to the human player of rome that if the invades magna greece my army intervene against rome,it was not necessary, epiro and etruscans AI finished with the human player of rome.
    other campaign multiplayer,i played with pontus and the other player macedonia,the macedonian human player defeat by AI factions with all battles played with human players.
    other campaign i played with seleucid and the other human player ptolomey,in this campaign the fight it was centered from the beginning between the two human factions.
    i find that playing this difficulty is a challenge for a veteran player,i have not played in normal, but in hard it still maintains the level of realism in the fighting, even more if the battles are made by human players and in the campaign map we have an AI with good armies, with a diverse composition of units.
    the only thing that I do not find realistic is diplomacy, although I do not know the parameters and mechanics that the mod implements, because with carthage from the beginning diplomacy,i find it very realistic.
    Last edited by Anibal at portas; December 13, 2017 at 07:50 AM.