Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread: A clear case of murder by a police officer

B. W.'s Avatar Primicerius

Default Re: A clear case of murder by a police officer

Quote Originally Posted by the_mango55 View Post
    People who say "it's just a few bad apples" clearly don't understand or even know the cliche.

the saying is not "It's just a few bad apples so it's no big deal"

it's "A few bad apples spoil the bunch"

The "thin blue line" is clearly spoiling the bunch. Even if there are only a few bad cops who are corrupt, racist, violent, or otherwise abuse their power; if the organizations in power like the police unions (strangely the only union that conservatives support), police chiefs and sheriffs defend the bad cops in order to save face while getting rid of the cops would would blow the whistle on them, then clearly the whole bunch is spoiled.

The whole point of that saying is that you have to get rid of the bad apples IMMEDIATELY, not put them on administrative leave for a couple weeks or quietly shuffle them off to some other department.
    I agree with this and it's the reason I started this thread. Considering the examples I've given previously, racism isn't the problem. Training and enlistment criteria are the problem.

And yet another problematic shooting by a police officer. I'm all for supporting the police, but they should be subject to the same laws as everyone:

https://thefreethoughtproject.com/co...nocent-father/

Incredible! Sheriff's Deputy shoots tiny dog while on homeowner's property. It's conceivable that another owner would have lost it completely and went after the deputy. It didn't happen here, but it could have. The job of the police is to protect and defend, not escalate the situation. I hope this guy sues the crap out of the county. That the only way police training is going to begin to address this type of situation:

https://nypost.com/2019/01/07/cop-ca...l-barking-dog/

That will never happen, sadly.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

Quote Originally Posted by B. W. View Post
    It's conceivable that another owner would have lost it completely and went after the deputy. It didn't happen here, but it could have.
    And sadly, if that had happened, the owner would have likely been shot and cop still not in any significant trouble.
    Quote Originally Posted by B. W. View Post
    The job of the police is to protect and defend, not escalate the situation.
    Again sadly, the Supreme Court has ruled that "protect and serve" is just a neat catch phrase and not an actual duty of the police. From what I can gather from that, that would mean the actual role of law enforcement is to project the power of the government in a given space; and they are allowed to do anything to ensure they have the most power in the situation, hence escalation. This is not to say that I don't think the public at large doesn't have a role in this. Even South Park made fun of the seemingly non-spoken contract the public has with it's police: that the public will tolerate police excesses as long as they promise to be a barrier between the majority and the "undesirables".
    They give birth astride of a grave, the light gleams an instant, then it's night once more.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567