View Poll Results: Who would win? The T-Rex? Or the 50 medieval knights on foot?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • The T-Rex

7 28.00%
  • The knights fighting on foot

18 72.00%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Who would win: a Tyrannosaurus Rex or 50 dismounted late-medieval knights in plate armor?

Lifthrasir's Avatar "Capre" Dunkerquois
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee

Blog Entries

Default Re: Who would win: a Tyrannosaurus Rex or 50 dismounted late-medieval knights in plate armor?

^^ I think they are called serfs
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

Ngugi's Avatar TATW & Albion Local Mod

Default Re: Who would win: a Tyrannosaurus Rex or 50 dismounted late-medieval knights in plate armor?

"Esteemed manservants".

Kingdom of Lindon preview video out

DCI: Last Alliance
    - WIP Second Age mod | DCI: Tôl Acharn - mighty Dúnedain Counter Invasions |
    Additional Mercenary Minimod - more mercs; for TATW and DCI | Family Tree minimods - lore improvements | Remade Event Pictures - enhance cultures trough images |
    Favorite TATW compilation: Withwnars Submod Collection
    Patron of Mank, Kiliç Alì, FireFreak111, MIKEGOLF & Arachir Galudirithon, Earl of Memory

Kyriakos's Avatar Praeses

They were called 'peasants' in Medieval: Total War (the original). I am not accepting deviance from what is canon
    Λέων μεν ὄνυξι κρατεῖ, κέρασι δε βούς, ἄνθρωπος δε νῷι
    "While the lion prevails with its claws, and the ox through its horns, man does by his thinking"
    Anaxagoras of Klazomenae, 5th century BC

Roma_Victrix's Avatar Call me Ishmael

Quote Originally Posted by Kyriakos View Post
    They were called 'peasants' in Medieval: Total War (the original). I am not accepting deviance from what is canon
    MEDIEVAL TOTAL WAR HAS SPOKEN! PEASANTS SHALL OBEY! ALL THOSE WHO FAIL TO COMPLY SHALL BE FOOD FOR THE DINOSAUR!

It's very Machiavellian of you, Kyriakos, but your plan could potentially work. The T. rex was a clever predator when it came to ambushing its prey, as Saxdude was keen to stress, but I don't think it would hold a candle to the cleverness of humans scheming and setting up traps for it. Especially those that encourage the T. rex to follow its instincts and attack. A T. rex wouldn't understand what a ballista was or how dangerous it was, because it wouldn't understand advanced human tools and weaponry of that size. It would certainly assess a poleaxe, halberd, and longsword as a threat, but you could really catch the T. rex off guard by firing a ballista bolt at it, especially if he was busy trying to eat a bunch of peasants.

saxdude's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Quote Originally Posted by Diamat View Post
    There is also the question of location. If they are fighting on plains, rexy has the advantage. But if the knights ambush him in dense vegetation, wouldn't they have an advantage?
    Actually quite the opposite, in the forest numbers are virtually negated and T. rex has the advantage both in numbers and in ambush capabilities, it has better eyesight, better smell, and camo to boot.

I might allow crossbows, but I'd still like to exclude late medieval hand cannons and matchlock firearms. I think that would pretty much give the knights way too much of an advantage, because gunpowder weaponry would pretty much wreck the T. rex from a distance.
    Ya know, I think crossbow's would be more unfair to the T.rex than handcannons and matchlock firearms. I mean don't you need special, high calibre weaponry to take down an elephant, or even a water bison? Hell, wasn't there an indian tiger that took a musketshot to the face and still wound up killing the hunter? Perhaps 50 armed men would be enough to take it down but how does one compare to modern hunting weapons?
    I reckon a ballista would do much better than gunpowder weaponry, but at that point why not shift the equation since you guys are just piling up advantages upon advantages against the rex?
    How about this, who wins: a herd of 500 or so centrosaurs or pachyrhinosaurus rampaging towards twice as many knights with lances? Keep in mind that Ceratopsian skulls (If triceratops is anything to go by) Were also almost entiretly covered in keratine (the same stuff that makes up the upper layer of a horn.

Also, what in the hell game is that screenshot from?
    Dude, you literally, point for point, to a tee, to the smallest descripction, described Warhammer Total War II, don't expect me to believe you didn't know this game existed. Aztec dinosaurmen vs pike and shot humans, it's the best.
    Last edited by saxdude; December 12, 2017 at 01:44 PM.

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

I'm just assuming that the knights are all elite landsknechts.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

Diamat's Avatar VELUTI SI DEUS DARETUR

Unfortunately they were English. They all died.

Quote Originally Posted by saxdude View Post
    Ya know, I think crossbow's would be more unfair to the T.rex than handcannons and matchlock firearms. I mean don't you need special, high calibre weaponry to take down an elephant, or even a water bison? Hell, wasn't there an indian tiger that took a musketshot to the face and still wound up killing the hunter? Perhaps 50 armed men would be enough to take it down but how does one compare to modern hunting weapons?
    I reckon a ballista would do much better than gunpowder weaponry, but at that point why not shift the equation since you guys are just piling up advantages upon advantages against the rex?
    Of course a ballista would be more potent and pack a more powerful punch than a bunch of matchlock firearms. However, the cloud of smoke and noise made by them would probably frighten the T. rex and catch it off guard if anything. If you concentrated enough volleys onto him with men rotating to fire then he'd be severely wounded, allowing the knights armed with melee weapons a better chance to hack and poke at his legs.

Hell, gunpowder artillery would be far more dangerous and powerful than a ballista. Even early bombards of the 14th century would be very dangerous for a T. rex, let alone the larger cannons that were made during the 15th century. Imagine the 15th-century Dardanelles Gun being fired at the T. rex. The knights would be enjoying a feast of T. rex barbecued ribs and stew for weeks to come.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dardanelles_Gun

The problem, however, is that these huge cannons took a very long time to load and reload, so ostensibly only smaller pieces like mortars and tiny bombards could be set up in time to fire at him.

How about this, who wins: a herd of 500 or so centrosaurs or pachyrhinosaurus rampaging towards twice as many knights with lances? Keep in mind that Ceratopsian skulls (If triceratops is anything to go by) Were also almost entiretly covered in keratine (the same stuff that makes up the upper layer of a horn.
    The centrosaurs would probably scare the crap out of the horses and cause the knights to fall and break their necks and/or be crushed by their own horses. They'd probably have a better chance fighting on foot to be honest.

Dude, you literally, point for point, to a tee, to the smallest descripction, described Warhammer Total War II, don't expect me to believe you didn't know this game existed. Aztec dinosaurmen vs pike and shot humans, it's the best.
    Heh. I played Attila Total War a little bit, the same with Rome II Total War, but I only own the first Rome Total War, Medieval II Total War (Kingdoms expansion), Shogun II Total War, and Empire Total War (played the Napoleon expansion on a friend's computer but don't own it). I'm not a fan of the Warhammer universe and I never have been. I'm only interested in actual historical games and mods, with the exception of Third Age Total War (with the MOS mod) for M2TW. I feel nerdy enough having all of these titles and their mods. No offense, but spending money on Warhammer would only increase the nerdiness to unacceptable levels.

Lifthrasir's Avatar "Capre" Dunkerquois
    Patrician took an arrow to the knee

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Diamat View Post
    Unfortunately they were English. They all died.
    For once, they weren't French
    Under the patronage of Flinn, proud patron of Jadli, from the Heresy Vault of the Imperial House of Hader

♔atthias♔'s Avatar dutch speaking
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Lifthrasir View Post
    For once, they weren't French
    because the french tried it too only to get killed too
    Rise of Mordor 3D Modelers Wanted
    Total War - Rise of Mordor
    Are you a 3D Environment and Character artist, or a Character Animator?

If yes, then the Rise of Mordor team linked above is looking for you!
    Massive Overhaul Submod Units!
    D you want some units back in MOS 1.7? Install this mod http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...n-1-1-RELEASED
    It adds back units who were deleted from the campaign in MOS 1.7, namely the Winged Swordsmen, the Citadel Guard Archers and the Gondor Dismounted Bodyguard.

Under the proud patronage of
    Frunk of the house of Siblesz

Quote Originally Posted by atthias View Post
    Peter Venkman: the French and English, dogs and cats, working together, mass hysteria!

Seriously, though, if you had to choose a crack team of well-armored knights to face this monstrous T. rex, then which medieval country would you choose for the job?

I refrain from saying "European country", because you could ostensibly choose men from the Crusader States in the Levant...although Gothic style plate armor existed well after the last Crusader state fell to the Mamluks. The Knights Hospitaller still held onto territories in Anatolia into the 14th and 15th centuries, though!

LaMuerte's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Roma_Victrix View Post
    Peter Venkman: the French and English, dogs and cats, working together, mass hysteria!

Seriously, though, if you had to choose a crack team of well-armored knights to face this monstrous T. rex, then which medieval country would you choose for the job?
    I'd look with full disdain at the knights before I send them home. Gimme a squad of those guys who capture and transport rhinos and elephants for the powerful. I'm sure they can come up with a cost effective means of disposing that pesky T. rex .O yeah, I need some peasants too to dig trenches and build an enclosure or a huge pitfall. Except for that beast, no-one else needs to die. No expensive hard to replace knights need to die. Shovels, not swords, will win this one. Sweat saves blood.

Of course history will only remember me. None of the lowborns will ever makes it into the annals. I'd be known as the penultimate badass, the last true warrior from a mythical age, the slayer of the last monster to roam this planet. I'd probably spend the rest of life enjoying the fruits of 'my' labour , and probably end my days suffering from gout, if not syphilis.
    Last edited by LaMuerte; December 16, 2017 at 02:25 PM.

Byzantine Kataphraktoi
    "While the lion prevails with its claws, and the ox through its horns, man does by his thinking"

Quote Originally Posted by atthias View Post
    I spit on this atrocity of a joke. All of the french knights would have survived easily, since they would have quit the field at the first hint of conflict.

Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey I of Leuven View Post
    I spit on this atrocity of a joke. All of the french knights would have survived easily, since they would have quit the field at the first hint of conflict.
    The medieval French were actually quite arrogant and foolhardy, eager to rush into battle. Napoleon's armies conquered most of Europe. The French fought hard and admirably in the Franco-Prussian War and the First World War. I think the initial surrender to Nazi Germany in World War II has irreparably damaged the reputation of the French for the rest of eternity.

That being said, French knights would perform about as well as any others I suppose, or we could just draft the Byzantine kataphractoi as Kyriakos suggests.

So I read the 1st 3-4 posts of this thread and then I switched to the last page to spoil my self to the end and I'm confused.

Damn you guys now I have to read this whole thread.

Edit: ok, I'm all caught up now and I understand why the franco-prussian war was mentioned!

That said, if it's a random encounter like 50 knights walking and sudden T. rex(in italics) attacks I'm putting my money on the lizard, but if it's an organised fight where the knights have time to concoct a battle plan then they should have the advantage.
    Last edited by Emperor Arcturus Mengsk; December 17, 2017 at 01:20 PM.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

♔atthias♔'s Avatar dutch speaking
    Citizen

Quote Originally Posted by Roma_Victrix View Post

I refrain from saying "European country", because you could ostensibly choose men from the Crusader States in the Levant...although Gothic style plate armor existed well after the last Crusader state fell to the Mamluks. The Knights Hospitaller still held onto territories in Anatolia into the 14th and 15th centuries, though!
    byzantine cataphracts like kyriakos suggests
    Quote Originally Posted by Godfrey I of Leuven View Post
    true sorry
    Last edited by ♔atthias♔; December 18, 2017 at 08:25 AM.
    Rise of Mordor 3D Modelers Wanted
    Total War - Rise of Mordor
    Are you a 3D Environment and Character artist, or a Character Animator?

If yes, then the Rise of Mordor team linked above is looking for you!
    Massive Overhaul Submod Units!
    D you want some units back in MOS 1.7? Install this mod http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showt...n-1-1-RELEASED
    It adds back units who were deleted from the campaign in MOS 1.7, namely the Winged Swordsmen, the Citadel Guard Archers and the Gondor Dismounted Bodyguard.

Under the proud patronage of
    Frunk of the house of Siblesz

Lord Oda Nobunaga's Avatar 大信皇帝
    Patrician

No one would win because the meteor would hit anyway.

"Famous general without peer in any age, most superior in valor and inspired by the Way of Heaven; since the provinces are now subject to your will it is certain that you will increasingly mount in victory." - Ōgimachi-tennō

There was no meteor. The ark with all the dinosaurs was torpedoed by the ark with the humans and lesser animals.

Frunk's Avatar Form Follows Function
    took an arrow to the knee

Thoroughly enjoyed this thread. My money is on the knights. While it's interesting to know that the T. rex would not waste time chewing each knight, I still wonder whether it would become easily target fixated on one or a couple of knights. Even if it's quick to dispose of the knights each time, eventually a group of knights is going to be able to outmaneuver it and cripple it. Would a T. rex realise that its best chance of victory is to use its tail as a giant fly swat, or would it default to its jaw and maybe even arms as weapons, which aren't enough to counter such a significant number of knights at once? I think it'd be likely that any knights taken out by the T. rex's tail would be more by accident than by design.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast