Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Princes, Kings and Heroes

wilddog's Avatar Paintedwolves run free

Default Re: Princes, Kings and Heroes

Could this be moved to the Kingdoms mods forums as it will require the expansion?

Halie Satanus's Avatar Emperor of ice cream
    Blog Entries

Yup.

Ged's Avatar Miles

Wow, this looks awesome.

nobel's Avatar Libertus

takes one good looking mod for me to post anything.
    Sounds very good, love the detailed map so far, but best of luck with all the houses and cant wait for it.

Now, now, my good man, this is no time for making enemies.

Voltaire, when asked by a priest to renounce Satan on his deathbed.

Looks really impressive and that map is huge and detailed!

It's good to see all the family names of the Earls of England. Reminds me of a couple of essays I wrote about them at university. Are you planning to have each Earldom as a seperate faction?

Looks really impressive and that map is huge and detailed!
    Well the map was actually reduced from the original one as there were soem issues associated with random crashes (this happens on the very big maps). However the new map which I showed part of is very detailed. Coasts are done as are rivers but I'm still fiddling with woods/Forests and nedd to amend some internal heights and TGA.s.

Are you planning to have each Earldom as a separate faction?
    Yes each House will be a separate faction. I need to watch though as some of the factions are too spread out so there may be some artistic license. Also many were centered around a main castle rather than a town of any size so so for some they will be given the town and the castle/Fort will be shown in the region instead.

I've been redoing some of the original Faction symbols (now I have CSC3) and a lot of the units will be taken from Kingdoms directly although I may do some slight re-skinning.

Awesome mod mate, really looking forward to this.

Awesome mod mate, really looking forward to this.
    Thanks. Its progressing OK now but maybe a little bit slow due to work. I'm starting to amend the factions and finishing off the map. Hopefully have some more news on it in the next week or two.

The Border Reiver's Avatar Artifex
    Patrician

Wild Dog...this looks like it is going great. I am very interested in this mod, becuase this is an area of huge interest for me.

It looks like you and I are working on mods very similar, except for the fact of the number and names of the factions.

I will PM you to discuss further.

Just a little screen shot of Gwynedd now that that area of the map is pretty much done.

Is the house of de clare irish based? If so, it wouldn't have been that powerful. In this period Thomas was dead, and the O'Brien's were very much in the ascendent in Thomond. Perhaps it would be better to have an extra Irish faction here such as the O'Briens?
    Last edited by riadach; September 16, 2007 at 06:49 AM.

Is the house of de clare irish based? If so, it wouldn't have been that powerful. In this period Thomas was dead, and the O'Brien's were very much in the ascendent in Thomond. Perhaps it would be better to have an extra Irish faction here such as the O'Briens?
    Mostly its English based De Clare is the Earl of Gloucester. In 1290 he went to war with deBohun over Morlais castle causing Edward 1st to intervene. I know there are declare lands in west Ireland but don't know whether I'll show them as connected. Currently planning on O'Neill and O'Connor as starting Irish factions. O'Brien I was thinking of having as an emerging faction. Basic problem I am having with Ireland is tied to what lands they start with relative to the Anglo-Norman families.

Primary Anglo Normans (but not the only ones) are Fitzgerald and De burgh

Ah that's ok then. I was afraid they were included because of their Irish base.

If there were three anglo-norman barons (fitzgerald, ormond and de burgh) then I would imagine there should be three gaelic Irish factions, the Uí Néill, The Uí Chonchobhair and the Uí Bhriain. If there was two, my personal preference (and I'm possibly biased) would be the Uí Bhriain over the Uí Chonchobhiar as they collapsed as an entity after the Bruce invasion. The Uí Bhriain however survived in strength, despite a period of civil war in the early 14th century, in a rather strong state till the 16th century when they surrendered and had their land regranted. They were allied to both the De Burgh and the Ormond factions, and were frequently at war wit the De Clares and their backers the Fitzgeralds, till Richard De Clare was killed in dysert o'dea in 1317. They controlled the bridges to the shannon (O'Briensbridge seems to have been a massive bier), from their fortress at Cluain Ramhadh Fhada (clonroad) and Bun Raite (bunratty castle) and sacked limerick on many an occasion, and seemed to re-establish their old thomond holdings until O'briensbridge was destroyed in the 16th century.

The Uí Conchobhair however separated into competing dynasties (o'connor roe o'connor don o'connor sligo), and disappeared as an important faction, after siding with the De Bruces during the bruce invasion. The Uí Bhriain seem to have employed a lot of heavy mercenaries (the comyns) had noble foot infantry, who could mount and dismount, as well as their ceitherne, horseboys, and giolla con (dogboys). They too, were part of the alliance (their initial great general Tadhg CaolUisce was son of Conchobhar na Siúdaine, their king) that gave recognition to Brian Ua Néill as High-King at Caoluisce. It would be great to have the civil war within their province at the start, rebel forts being held by rebels, and then actual fighting with the De Clares who held Bun Raite initially. Much of the information is in caithréim Thoirdhealbhaigh.

If you need help, Gaelic society in the later middle ages was my minor.

Just checked it. The De Clares were the same ones, but this was a separate branch, him being Gilberts brother.. Perhaps you could have Thomas De Clare as a general as head of a large army in a fort in east clare along with the rebel forts.
    Last edited by riadach; September 16, 2007 at 12:32 PM.

f there were three anglo-norman barons (fitzgerald, ormond and de burgh) then I would imagine there should be three gaelic Irish factions, the Uí Néill, The Uí Chonchobhair and the Uí Bhriain. If there was two, my personal preference (and I'm possibly biased) would be the Uí Bhriain over the Uí Chonchobhiar as they collapsed as an entity after the Bruce invasion. The Uí Bhriain however survived in strength, despite a period of civil war in the early 14th century, in a rather strong state till the 16th century
    Not really sure what you're point is. As this starts 1280 and Edward Bruce invaded 2/3 through the time scale then isn't a late emergent Irish faction in tune with that?

Note
    Not planning on having the Ormonds as a specific faction.

I haven't looked into the naming swap over thats available in the Americas campaign but I may try and do that for those who want to use the Gaelic names whilst playing as a Gaelic faction.

Well a late emergent scottish army would be, as far as the other kingdoms were considered though, they were still independent through much of this period. The Irish lordships increased their territory after the bruce invasion, this wasn't a reassertion of independence. The most many had done was nominally submit to the English king. As for the Ui Bhriain, they actually supported De Burgh (the one who lost most from the bruce invasion), against Edward Bruce.
    Last edited by riadach; September 16, 2007 at 09:09 PM.

My recommendation, 100 Provinces max.

In the shot with the mini-map it looks like your damn near 200... Not like I counted though.

But It just seems to me like the game is going to be completely siege based. Like, absolutely no field battles.

Just me though

My recommendation, 100 Provinces max.
    Number of regions will be higher than that. Density is roughly equal to the vanilla grand campaign. Its more an issue of adding them in first and then taking out surplus ones afterwards - which may just be a just a custom campaign option).
    Same with rivers etc. It will be played as 4 turns per year and movement is likely to be reduced slightly versus vanilla.

PS The minimap was from an older version of a map which was too big.

interested!