Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Princes, Kings and Heroes

wilddog's Avatar Paintedwolves run free

Default Princes, Kings and Heroes

This is just a note about a mod I'm working on. I'm not recruiting for this its more just for information and to see whether anyone in the community would be interested once its completed (Which certainly won't be for some time). So what does it cover?

This mod is meant as a fun mod set loosely around the events and people in Medieval Britain in the period 1280 to 1330.

So did much happen around then?

Firstly Llewelyn ap Gruffydd the only native Welsh prince of Wales was drawn into a second war with Edward I due to the actions of his brother Dafydd. This resulted in the conquest of Wales and the death of both Llewelyn and Dafydd. However Welsh discontent erupted shortly afterwards with the main revolt being that of Madog ap Llywelyn.

The English had two ruling kings in this period Edward I and Edward II the latter being murdered by his own nobles. Edward III although King in this period didn’t finally get control of his Kingdom until late 1330.

The only other hereditary title in England at this time was that of Earl. There were 9 English Earls at the start of this period plus the Earl of Ulster and Earl of Richmond (Duke of Brittany) who had lands in England.

The 9 Main English Earls were the powerful Earl of Lancaster (and Derby) the Earl of Gloucester, Earl of Oxford, Earl of Hereford (and Essex), Earl of Surrey, Earl of Warwick, Earl of Pembroke, the Earl of Arundel and the Earl of Lincoln. Additionally there was the Earl of Richmond (title held by the Duke of Brittany) and the Earl of Ulster.

A further 6 Earls were created in this period during Edward II’s reign.
    So were they all staunch supporters of the King… well not exactly. In the period 1322 to 1330 seven English Earls lost their lives as a result of rebellion or conspiracy against the King. The last of the Earls to die was the powerful Marcher lord Roger Mortimer from whom Edward III managed finally to take power back in October 1330.

Scotland of course is well known in this period for the Scottish wars of Independence. It started this period with King Alexander III but he was too anxious to get back to his young wife and died suddenly after falling from his horse. This led to the disputes between the Balliol’s, The Bruce’s and the Comyn’s and of course the rise and fall of the hero William Wallace. Eventually the Bruce’s came out on top in this period although Robert was excommunicated for killing John Comyn in the church of the Friary at Dumfries. He also had 3 of his brothers executed by the English and another brother Edward was killed in Ireland after the Scots invaded.

Anyway that's the high level background. It is currently expected to play out on a large map version of Britain.

Default Re: Princes, Kings and Heroes

Hey sounds great Makes me think about the first and still one of the best war games ever called... "Defender Of The Crown" on commodore64, for those who remember that one ages back then!
    Good luck with it!

Don't know the game as I never had a Commodore64 in those days... but that's going back a bit....

Map is progressing nicely. Example of current state is shown below showing part of the lake district area.

The original image has been replaced and a new thread started showing map regions see link below.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=139401
    Last edited by wilddog; January 05, 2008 at 03:39 AM.

sorry double post

Felix's Avatar Mameluk

That, sir, is a hell of a map.

Just registering interest

Felix
    Thanks, I'm still moving regions and places around on it and now starting to slowly add in factions.

That looks cool, mate! Make sure you have plenty of diverse units, factions and events, if possible. Not sure if that would be historically accurate though.

SonOfCrusader76
    Thanks, yes it won't be 100% historically accurate its only going to be set loosely around historical events. This is just basically to try to make it more fun. For some factions they will start with areas they didn't fully have in 1280 but acquired later. This is because otherwise you need too many places too close to each other particularly in Wales and the Marches (I probably already have too many but I just wanted to get a 'playable' Gwynedd faction rather than start slightly later with a Welsh uprising).

I'm intending to have quite a few factions. e.g. I'm planning 4 'Scottish' factions.

House of Canmore - probably not playable
    House of Bruce
    House of Balliol
    House of Comyn
    and maybe an emerging faction.

Stalins Ghost's Avatar Citizen

Looks like a fantastic map mate, really impressive, and the setting should make for some interesting game play.

Just as a suggestion, the best way to get this off the ground as such, would be to release a cut down version as such - using just major factions for now, then just having those of minor factions as rebels, then consider a alpha/beta version to draw in some attention.

Since unit creation is pretty much impossible right now, it'd make sense just to use vanilla units, and to get the whole campaign map balanced out - and with a version out on the net, it'll make finding and ironing out the balance issues a whole lot quicker.
    morecuriousthanbold.com

Stalins Ghost
    Thanks for the advice. I've been a little tied up with work, playing M2TW, distractions on research and just fiddling around and trying a few things out. (spent ages last weekend just trying to decide basic size of one of the faction shield designs).

Expect to put a bit more time into it over the next few weeks but was also sort of hoping the second patch might come out so that it reduced the amount of times I might need to change things.

I certainly only plan to use vanilla units first but I'm not rushing to get something out that fast.

billydilly's Avatar Senator

Just wanted to show my interest, I'll defenitly download this one...
    CPU: Intel i7-8700. GPU: MSI GTX 1070 Armor 8G. RAM: Corsair Vengance, 16Gb HD: Kingston SSD 240Gb (System), Samsung 850 Evo SSD 500Gb (Steam), Western Digital 500Gb. PSU: Corsair CX600W

Any idea about when it'll be ready? Or is it ages away yet?

This mod looks pretty good, I hope that you are successful with it, I will certainly download it

SonOfCrusader76 - Sorry but its a long way off yet.

Quote Originally Posted by wilddog View Post
    SonOfCrusader76 - Sorry but its a long way off yet.
    Oh well. Good luck with it anyway, I hope it doesn't fall by the wayside.

I've been slowly working on the symbols for this mod and although I'll probably redo a couple of them here's a screen shot of most of them.

They are for the following factions :-
    House of Fitzgerald
    House of De Lacy
    House of De Clare
    Earl of Cornwall
    O'Neill
    House of De Valence
    Earl of Lancaster
    Royal House of Plantagenet
    House of Percy
    France
    House of de Warenne
    Gwynedd
    House of Mortimer
    House of De Vere
    House of Fitzalen
    O'Connor
    Royal House of Canmore
    House of Comyn
    House of Bruce
    House of Balliol
    House of De Bohun
    House of Beauchamp
    House of De Burgh
    House of Bigod

This mod is still a long way off but is slowly progressing.

I am still slowly working on this mod - mostly on the map as I decided to redo it but smaller. I'm mostly waiting for Kingdoms to come out so I can use some of its features (castles and recruitment) and also because it provides some new units etc particularly for the Irish factions.

very nice i will download it when its done

This is a shot of the new map size (I haven't put all the provinces in yet as they are quite simple to do and its mostly taking some of them out (relative to an earlier map) as the Castles in Kingdoms doesn't need them).

Anyway this is a screen shot of south East Ireland as it stands now.

Last edited by wilddog; August 12, 2007 at 04:59 PM.

Page 1 of 10 12345678910 LastLast