Thread: Christmas is a coming

basics's Avatar Praeses

Default Christmas is a coming

Well, another year is coming to a conclusion and for a great many across the globe it hasn't been one to remember for it's benefits as just about every natural or unnatural disaster has hit the world somewhere at some time. For me though the most exciting time of the year is approaching in spite of all else and though some might not agree I find it a time of celebration and peace for of course I am talking about my joy that our Saviour was born into this world. So, I like to hear your views on this the most important day in the history of the world?

Default Re: Christmas is a coming

Uncomfortable family meals and consumerism. And the city council spending hundreds of thousands of euros on christmas illumination. Rejoice.

Himster's Avatar Praeses

All hail the true Gods of consumerism and wanton debauchery.
    The God is dead. Long live the Gods.
    The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are so certain of themselves, but wiser people are full of doubts.
    -Betrand Russell

Copperknickers II's Avatar quaeri, si sapis
    Citizen

I absolutely love the Pagan festival of Christmas. If not for Christmas then the sun god would feel offended and refuse to come out, and the world would be plunged into eternal darkness. Thank goodness the Christians were convinced to move the festival of the birth of Christ to coincide with Saturnalia. Who knows when Christ was actually born, some have theorised it was in the Spring or Summer.
    A new mobile phone tower went up in a town in the USA, and the local newspaper asked a number of people what they thought of it. Some said they noticed their cellphone reception was better. Some said they noticed the tower was affecting their health.

A local administrator was asked to comment. He nodded sagely, and said simply: "Wow. And think about how much more pronounced these effects will be once the tower is actually operational."

Stario's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by basics View Post
    Well, another year is coming to a conclusion and for a great many across the globe it hasn't been one to remember for it's benefits as just about every natural or unnatural disaster has hit the world somewhere at some time. For me though the most exciting time of the year is approaching in spite of all else and though some might not agree I find it a time of celebration and peace for of course I am talking about my joy that our Saviour was born into this world. So, I like to hear your views on this the most important day in the history of the world?
    Yay!!! Xmas; time to shoot the boss.

basics's Avatar Praeses

Come on you guys and gals, aren't there any of you in the least bit excited by the occasion? Were all your Christmasses miserable?

consumerism and christian propaganda (thankfully very scarce) aside, I guess it depends a lot on the relationship you have with your family.

Come on you guys and gals, aren't there any of you in the least bit excited by the occasion? Were all your Christmasses miserable?
    Not being excited by a religious holiday doesn't mean that you are miserable.

I never celebrated a muslim holiday in my life, it doesn't mean that every time muslims have some kind of holiday I'm miserable. The same applies for christian holidays.

That note aside, I have absolutely no problem with other people celebrating it, unfortunately though for the vast majority of "christians" it's just an excuse for excess consumerism.
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

Settra's Avatar the Imperishable
    Content Director Citizen

But you don't live in a muslim country
    Under the patronage of Squid Girl. I am here, click me!

saxdude's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

The only thing I'm looking forward to is the wanton consumerism and debouchery, let's not beat around the bush.

I ain't jokin' when it comes to mah paintings ಠ_ಠ

Dude I love mocking Christians for stealing Yule.

Also, it conveniently condenses all my gift-buying through the year into one day so, there's that. These people are really looking at this consumerism thing the wrong way.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.

kamikazee786's Avatar Senator

Muslim here,

Im organising a surprise xmas party for all the staff at my office and its gonna be the bomb (pun intended) xD

But seriously, i am grateful for any holiday which brings people together and gives em some distraction from the hellish year we've had and i understand that not everyone does it for religion these days.

In Islam we hold the belief that Christ was born sometime during late spring/early summer and not on the 25th of December. The 25th of December is a date on which pagans would celebrate. When the Romans converted to Christianity it was far simpler to re brand the day with Christian themes instead of making a new one on the correct date and pissing off the natives by telling them that they could no longer celebrate paganistic rituals on the 25th.

At least i think thats what happened, not too sure myself to be honest.

But hey ho, Merry Christmas ya infidels and god bless ya for the sales
    If you work to earn a living, why then do you work yourself to death?

Belthasar Bolton's Avatar Always the Opportunist
    Citizen

I love Christmas. Christmas Day is without a doubt one of my favorite days of the year. I get to spend the entire day uninterpreted with my family (which is becoming a rarer occurrence with each passing year) in the spirit of the holidays. I can sit back and bask in Christmas cheer and enjoy one of the best days of the year.

basics's Avatar Praeses

Quote Originally Posted by Belthasar Bolton View Post
    I love Christmas. Christmas Day is without a doubt one of my favorite days of the year. I get to spend the entire day uninterpreted with my family (which is becoming a rarer occurrence with each passing year) in the spirit of the holidays. I can sit back and bask in Christmas cheer and enjoy one of the best days of the year.
    Belthasar Bolton,

And, when you're relaxing in contentment do you ever wonder about why there is a Christmas Day? I mean do you ever think of Jesus and why He has become so important for us to celebrate His coming into the world?

Belthasar Bolton's Avatar Always the Opportunist
    Citizen

Well my understanding of Christmas is that it isnt actually Christ's birthday but the Church taking the winter solstice (an important pagan day) and incorporating it into their religion. The articles I've read state that Christmas wasn't recognized as Jesus' birthday until the 4th century. Also, no I usually give no thought to Christ or religion while I'm sitting around eating candy canes and spending time with my family.

Belthasar Bolton,

And, when you're relaxing in contentment do you ever wonder about why there is a Christmas Day? I mean do you ever think of Jesus and why He has become so important for us to celebrate His coming into the world?
    Dude forgot about Yule.
    One thing is for certain: the more profoundly baffled you have been in your life, the more open your mind becomes to new ideas.
    -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable. Let us prepare to grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after all.