Thread: Getting destroyed by Hard AI

Default Getting destroyed by Hard AI

Hey all,

I just re-downloaded this game a few days ago and decided to attempt a hard campaign (I've only ever played on Normal and Easy before), and I have found myself getting
    smashed by the AI all over, no matter what I try to do differently.

First, is there any way to keep clans from constantly declaring war on me? I haven't managed to maintain a single turn of peace yet, and just a few turns ago, all three of my
    friendly neighbors declared war and invaded me.

Also, does the AI get huge bonuses in combat on hard or something? I've noticed that my units are getting crushed in one on one fights even against units they should have an
    advantage against. I was defending a siege against an enemy with an equal sized force who had basically only yari samurai. I lined up my katana samurai on the walls thinking they
    would do well against climbing yari samurai, but as the battle went on, my katana units got annihilated by climbing yari samurai. Is there a better way I should be fighting this battle?

Default Re: Getting destroyed by Hard AI

At higher difficulty levels than normal, enemies controlled by computer receives huge bonuses on the campaign and battle maps. Artificial intelligence, regardless of the level of difficulty, is equally stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by pharmacy View Post
    Hey all,

I just re-downloaded this game a few days ago and decided to attempt a hard campaign (I've only ever played on Normal and Easy before), and I have found myself getting
    smashed by the AI all over, no matter what I try to do differently.

First, is there any way to keep clans from constantly declaring war on me? I haven't managed to maintain a single turn of peace yet, and just a few turns ago, all three of my
    friendly neighbors declared war and invaded me.

Also, does the AI get huge bonuses in combat on hard or something? I've noticed that my units are getting crushed in one on one fights even against units they should have an
    advantage against. I was defending a siege against an enemy with an equal sized force who had basically only yari samurai. I lined up my katana samurai on the walls thinking they
    would do well against climbing yari samurai, but as the battle went on, my katana units got annihilated by climbing yari samurai. Is there a better way I should be fighting this battle?

I haven't played Shogun 2 in years but the way all TW games play out on higher difficulties is kind of similar, you have to abuse some shortcomings of the AI in order to come out ahead there is no way you are winning a straight up engagement with the bonuses the AI gets, except if you have units that are extremely more powerful by default. So you have to bottle them up using the fort somehow and surround them, easier said than done when the AI can simply climb everywhere without siege equipment but it's doable
    It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

Spear Dog's Avatar Primicerius

Firstly, what faction are you playing? Some factions in TWS2 are definitely harder than others, and some have very advantageous starting positions. I Think Uesugi are the most difficult at higher difficulties as there is little recovery time before the next attack and little in the way of economic opportunities.

Secondly, I've always found katana units notoriously weak in battle and only ever had 2 or three units in any army for their charge bonus to shore up breakthroughs in my lines. Ashigaru spear and archers can effectively defend most castles against superior forces with a bit of micro-management, they're cheap and require minimum research development.

Finally a strategy tip: instead of spending money developing economic research and training better level units in the early game build naval stacks and take trade nodes then pile on the trade ships. If you control trade resources other factions will make and keep treaties with you. Best resources are those that can't be accessed from land based resources, so incense, cotton, silk. Those nodes are off Kyushu. As your game progresses don't disband your Ashigaru army but load it onto a naval stack and send it to the trade nodes of Kyushu (relieve a battered navy that can return to your provinces for replenishment) and wait for the inevitable rebellion in Hizen province, then capture it for no diplomatic penalty - this will give strong control over the most valuable resources in the game and substantial income.

In short, spam ashigaru and naval stacks in the early game.
    Last edited by Spear Dog; December 07, 2017 at 04:36 PM.

Vulpex's Avatar Civis

In trading, AI really likes horses, try to get them. Sell or give military access, but in small increments of time. Use small bribes to rise attitude of potential enemies. As said, especially in the beginning troop numbers more important than quality. Play Chosokabe or Shimazu. Use all advice given here previously.

Quote Originally Posted by musketer View Post
    At higher difficulty levels than normal, enemies controlled by computer receives huge bonuses on the campaign and battle maps. Artificial intelligence, regardless of the level of difficulty, is equally stupid.
    Yep like Total war AI, I hate those god damn ruski in multiplayer campaign that ask you to go on hard or leave....
    They are like, I don't like fighting the AI, and I like me too...That is why I do play on easy or normal.
    Because in Total war game hard difficulty is just stupid, you get punished b outsmarting your opponent.
    They are things that really do need a fix....