Thread: Using EB as Source for Tabletop RPG Setting

Default Using EB as Source for Tabletop RPG Setting

Hey there, this really is a question to the creators of EB first and foremost. EB is by far the best amalgamated source of information about its time-period that I've found, and as an avid tabletop-roleplay gamer, I've been really inspired by EB to think of that timeframe as a campaign setting.

What I'm asking here is if I would have permission to create a campaign setting, hosted on a wikia site, that uses EB as its primary source. It would of course be completely free and not something I'm looking to make in any way proprietary, and naturally I'd credit EB and the team for all the original work.

Of course the historians and researchers behind EB have put in an enormous amount of work into the body of knowledge that supports the game, so I just figured I'd ask in case they'd be unhappy with someone utilizing their work outside of the frame of the game they helped produce.

Anyway, thanks a million regardless, you guys are awesome

Edit: And just to clarify in case you don't know, I'm talking about an adventure and roleplay game style like that of Dungeons and Dragons, where a group of players create and roleplay characters at a table together, with their actions being arbitrated by a game-master who is responsible for creating the content the players make decisions on. With all the sociological and cultural content present in EB (much more than just martial history), it would make a fantastic framework for a game of this kind.
    Last edited by Cryoshakespeare; December 01, 2017 at 09:08 AM. Reason: Remember Cryo, people don't automatically know stuff in your brain

Default Re: Using EB as Source for Tabletop RPG Setting

Already way ahead of you there, I did exactly that a while ago, with Tyche's Favourites.

That was for B/X-derived ACKS, which has awesome economic and mass combat systems underpinning it (either of which can easily be plugged into another system).

Anyway, I'll put in the usual request to the team.

Oh fantastic, classic Quintus I guess

I was considering using GURPS as the system I'd run it in, but I'll definitely take a look at what you've created there.

Awesome stuff, thanks c:

I've also got links to two free ebooks which I plundered for source material, at the bottom of the front page of my wiki. The second one, Philos Basilikos, is for GURPS.

Oh darn it, Tyche's Favorites was you, QS? I think I cited EB/condescended at you on your thread on the GiantITP forums. This is...awkward. Sorry about that.

Looks like the game was pretty intense. I like the way you used the henchmen to ensure everyone had something to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Dargaron View Post
    Oh darn it, Tyche's Favorites was you, QS? I think I cited EB/condescended at you on your thread on the GiantITP forums. This is...awkward. Sorry about that.

Looks like the game was pretty intense. I like the way you used the henchmen to ensure everyone had something to do.

I have a number of online personas, yes, that's me as well. I wouldn't worry about it, I don't take that sort of stuff very seriously. Before I turned developer on EBII, I spent a lot of my free time and creative energy on PnP RPGing. Children kind of put paid to that for a time, but I found this instead.

I'd never really taken troupe-style play seriously before that game. But when you don't have the usual character-protection crutches like magic and such, you need every trick you can find to keep the players able to participate, even if their characters can't.