I usually like night battles, at least when my units have torches so that I can actually see them. What I really, really, really, really despise with a vengeance, however, is the sort of unexpected night battle right at dusk/sundown. It's the kind that hitting the "wait" button usually does not solve, since the game wants to be a prick and force you to fight at this time of day, all while your men do not have torches. At first it is somewhat bearable and visible, but within five minutes the sun starts to set and all of the sudden the screen becomes almost pitch dark. You can't see anything and literally have to zoom in to the maximum level just to distinguish any of your units.

I noticed this happening as soon as I started playing SSHIP and I don't remember it being much of an issue with regular Stainless Steel 6.4. I can't seem to find anything in the "weather" file within the data folder that indicates how I can change this. To reiterate, this is not a normal night battle. This is the type that starts out in the late evening and tricks you into thinking things are at least somewhat visible, suddenly becoming darker as you begin the battle (with no torches to light anything).