Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gulltown, Seat of House Grafton

Poach's Avatar Civitate

Default Gulltown, Seat of House Grafton

The Vale's primary port and only large town, Gulltown is a hub for traders moving goods into and out of the mountainous interior of the Vale, where the Arryns rule the many fertile valleys and plateaus that comprise their domain. Built on the lowland coastal plain, Gulltown's hinterlands rise sharply into the mountains that the Vale is known for, with merchants taking one of several passes to ply their wares inland or to bring the Vale's produce for export.

House Grafton

See here.

Income

60,000 Base Income
    16,800 Kevan Grafton (28%)
    24,000 Buildings (40%)

Total: 100,800 Dragons

Trade

1. Resource: Timber
    2. Resource: Grain
    3. Resource: Fruits
    4. Resource: Flax
    5. Resource: Fish

Buildings

T1 - Market, Dockyard, Market Sq, Miltia, Walls, City Watch
    T2 - Market, Merch Sq, Dockyard, Militia, Walls, City Watch
    T3 - Dock, Market, Trade Hub, Militia
    T4 -

Edicts: Both Land and Naval Militia Edicts (+2,000 points each)

Military

Siege Defence

+4 base
    +2 Buildings

= 6 total

Gulltown and Vassals Levy:
    (3,500 Gulltown, 500 Gullhull = 4,000 points)

Militia:
    (2,000 Edicts, 3,700 Buildings = 5,700 total)

Total:

Land Professionals:

Total:

Naval Militia:
    (2,000 Edicts, 3,000 Regional Bonus, 1,200 Trade Goods = 6,200 points)

67 Dromonds
    30 Heavy Galleys
    15 Gulltown Warships
    3 Grand Warships (Grafton, Corsair, and Watchtower)

(Current militia shown is only 5,000 points)
    Last edited by Poach; December 01, 2017 at 05:06 PM.

Trot's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Default Re: Gulltown, Seat of House Grafton

Lord Lothor Belmore arrives in Gulltown after his meeting with Lord Arryn. His first stop was down to the Docks where Ser Edwin Grafton was said to take up residence, and requests a meeting. After which he would make his way up to the Keep and talk to Lord Kevan himself.

Poach's Avatar Civitate

Lord Belmore would find Edwin Grafton, uncle of Lord Kevan and Admiral of the Gulltown fleet, in a well appointed home on the waterfront, across the harbour from the docks. He was directed out to a spacious balcony where the rows of ships, merchant and military, were visible across the water.

There Edwin was sat in discussion with two men, veteran sailors by the looks of it: weathered faces, a few scars on show, nautical tattoos aplenty. A servant announced Lord Belmore's arrival, and Edwin excused the two men. Passing Lord Belmore, they tapped their knuckles to their heads and muttered 'm'lud' as they went past.

"Lord Belmore," said Edwin as he rose from his chair and came towards the man, ​"What can I do for you?"

"Ser Grafton," Belmore begins taking a seat on a empty chair, "forgive me these old bones aren't as spry as they once were." He sighs with relief. "As I understand you handle most of the affairs of Gulltown Ser. I am seeking to find a suitable husband for my daughter, and I thought your nephew would be a good choice."

Poach's Avatar Civitate

"Ha!" he laughed, "You and plenty before you, Lord Belmore. My nephew has had a number of suitors: he has so far found an excuse to reject them all. I suspect he enjoys the freedom of being unwed, as we all did in our youth."

He chuckled, but then adopted a more serious look,
    "We all accepted the need to take a wife, though. Lord Kevan resists that."

Lord Belmore chuckles remembering his youth. "Aye I know I had my fun in my day, as we all did. But A Lord needs a wife to run a court although as it stands I hear you do more of the managing of affairs here."

Poach's Avatar Civitate

"Aye, I do," said Edwin with a sigh, "Kevan enjoys the social aspects of Lordship: the feasts, the parties, the prestige of it a all. He quickly grew bored of petitioners, accounts, dealing with his councillors. Over time, people started coming to me instead, and Kevan eventually exiled me here for insisting he play some part in it."

Lothor nods thoughtfully, "The lad may need to be brought around then," He begins, "Tell me though what do you think of Gulltown's current position and how are your relations with the other Lords of the Vale."

Poach's Avatar Civitate

"Lad? He's a man grown. Most men have several legitimate children by his age, he's got a trail of bastards in his wake." said Edwin bitterly, "At this rate it shall be my own son that inherits."

"Gulltown is prosperous and well situated, and in fairness to Lord Kevan he gets along well with the neighbouring Lords: we have no enemies, save pirates and cheating merchants."

The older lord chuckles, "Everyone is a lad when you get to be my age." He says, before a hacking cough escapes him.

"Don't grown old Ser it does little good for me." He sighs regretfully his words slightly bitter, "Still it is time for a boy to become a man at some point or give his responsibilities to those that will see them fulfilled."

Poach's Avatar Civitate

"What is it you suggest?" ​asked Edwin cautiously. It sounded like the old Lord had just suggested Kevan be deposed...

Lothor relaxes in his seat, "Well Edwin that is up to you is it not, are you not Lord in all but name at the moment?" He shakes his head in an exasperated fashion and continues, "You let the lad have all the pleasure of Lordship, but he engages in none of the work. Why should that be the case?"

Poach's Avatar Civitate

Edwin regarded the man silently for a moment.

"I do as my Lord would have me do," he said sternly, "Would you have the farmers refuse their tithes of grain because they harvested them? The artisans and merchants refuse their taxes because the work done was theirs? The levy refuse their duties because the conflict did not start on their account? I have men that I trust would follow me if I followed your advice, but to what end? If Lord Arryn recognised me he would throw the realm into chaos! Every ambitious second son would seek to follow suit, all the rivers of the Vale would soon flow red."

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

The old man chuckles, "Calm yourself Ser, no needs are that drastic as yet. But it is your duty to see your nephew does his is it not?" He pauses. "If you can not do that then maybe it is time for someone else to teach him."

Poach's Avatar Civitate

"I will not hear these insults in my own home," said Edwin with an edge of anger in his voice, before waving over a servant and saying firmly, "good day my Lord."

Lord Belmore had clearly been asked to leave, politely, but firmly.

Lord Belmore rose and nodded to the knight, "Good day ser, I wish you all the best." With that he departed making his way up towards the keep. He had gained much from the meeting even if it had gone poorly at the end.

Poach's Avatar Civitate

Lord Belmore was shown into the keep and given some wine and a tray of fruits and cheeses by an attractive serving girl with a low-cut blouse. Indeed, Lord Belmore noticed that there seemed to be a fair few pretty young women going about in the keep.

After maybe an half an hour or so of waiting, Kevan eventually made his appearance. He wore simple leather trousers, boots, and loosely done-up linen shirt. He threw open his arms and a wide smile came over his face.

"My Lord Belmore!" he boomed in a happy tone, "What brings you to Gulltown? Can I offer you food, wine?"

Without waiting for an answer he crashed into a seat beside the elderly Lord, waving over a serving girl, "Wine and someting tasty, dear," he said, flashing her a smile. She gave a curtsey and went off towards the kitchens.

"How fares Strongsong, my Lord?" he asked earnestly, "When last I was there, we went for a dip in the river. Bracing, it was! I'm told the fish there are enormous!" he finished with a hearty laugh, holding out his arms as far as they'd stretch.

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

"Strongsong is well," he said judging examining the young man in front of him, he was handsome enough and sociable, the makings of a Lord might be there. "Some food and wine would not go amiss it has been a long trip," Lothor said taking a seat. The old man took a chair and sighed, "My old bones do not old up as they once did." He nods waiting for the youth to continue. "The rivers and the lake around Strongsong produce a wealth of trade and some very good fish. My kitchen staff makes a fantastic smoked trout." The man chuckles, "I would invite you to try it when you are next in Strongsong."
    Last edited by Trot; December 05, 2017 at 07:03 PM.

Poach's Avatar Civitate

"I shall certainly look to take you up on that offer one day!" said Kevan jovially, "Though I must warn you the fishermen of Gulltown haul in some fantastic specimens themselves: I know a good fish when I eat one! Now, my Lord, what brings you so far?" he asked, leaning in a bit, "I'm certain it's not solely for my wonderful company, eh?"

The old man chuckled, "No it is not my Lord, I look for a husband for my eldest daughter. It is my hope you would agree to uniting our two houses."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast