Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Goldentooth, Seat of House Lefford

Poach's Avatar Civitate

Default Goldentooth, Seat of House Lefford

The fortress of Goldentooth spans across the gap created by one of the valleys into the Westerlands proper, blocking the route to all that House Lefford would not allow freely through their gates. The valley is host to the River Road, which travels from King's Landing through the Riverlands to reach the mountains of the Westerlands, causing the town and fortress of Goldentooth to see considerable mercantile traffic. Behind the imposing walls that block the valley, deep gold mines produce a steady flow of the valuable ore that the Westerlands is famed for, making the Leffords among the richest families in the Westerlands.

House Lefford

See here.

Lord Harmund Lefford is the current Lord of Goldentooth, with his children Raymar (the heir), Godric and Kyra. Raymar also has three of his own children: Donnel, Ryon and Olenna.

Income

70,000 Base Income
    7,00 Buildings (+20%, -10%)
    10,500 Harmund Lefford (30%, +3 traits +3 retinue)
    20,000 Trade Good

Total: 118,000 Dragons

Trade

1. Resource: Precious Metals
    2. Resource: Base Metals
    3. Resource: Livestock
    4. Resource: Horses

Buildings

T1 - Market, Militia, Market Sq, City Watch, Walls, Expansions
    T2 - Market, Militia, Merch Sq, City Watch, Walls, Expansions
    T3 - Market, Trade Hub, Barracks, City Watch, Walls, Expansions
    T4 - Militia Network

Edicts: Militias (+1,000 Land Militia points), Military Infrastructure (+1,000 Land Militia points)

Military

Siege Defence

+8 base
    +2 Regional Bonus (-2 if attacked from the western approach)
    +3 Buildings

Total: 13 (9 if attacked from the western approach)

Goldentooth and Vassals Levy:
    (5,500 Goldentooth, 2,000 Pendric Hills, 1,000 Nunn's Deep = 8,500 points)

Militia:
    (2,000 Edicts, 1,200 Trade Goods, 4,500 Buildings = 7,700)

Total:

Professionals:
    Last edited by Poach; December 01, 2017 at 04:46 PM.

Poach's Avatar Civitate

Default Re: Goldentooth, Seat of House Lefford

Godric arrived back at Goldentooth after lengthy travelling, avoiding the main roads and larger inns to avoid being recognised. He knew he might be being followed, or being watched for. Alas, his father was smarter than Godric gave him credit for. Godric was not being watched: Marya and Edric, Godric's lover and bastard son, were. Why hunt for Godric when they knew where Godric would eventually turn up?

He slid in through the back door of Marya's house late at night, and quietly woke her. In whispered tones he told her to pack only essentials, and went to wake Edric as well. Edric was a man grown at 18 years of age, an apprentice carpenter to one of Goldentooth's many master carpenters, a busy trade in a town that was both large and acted as the hub for the local mining industry: carpenters were always at the mines helping manage the scaffolding that kept the mineshafts supported.

The three were downstairs after twenty minutes packing, and out the front door. Godric was last out, closing the door quietly behind him, when he heard Marya's soft gasp.

Three men had approached. Their leader spoke in the accent of a noble.

"Sorry Godric, Lord Lefford's orders, you see." said the lead man.

"Stand aside Myles, I'm about the King's work." said Godric threateningly. Myles Bettley, one of Lord Bettley's spare sons who had fallen into the service of Godric's brother Raymar. A thoroughly despicable man whose past included actions that would probably have gotten him the noose were he a commoner, and who Raymar now used to do his dirty work, kept loyal by the threat of that same noose should he ever give Raymar cause to judge him fairly.

Godric advanced upon Myles, until the two stood near nose-to-nose.

"I am a Lefford, Myles. The City Watch would do as I commanded. I'd be long gone before any Ravens could reach my father to countermand my orders."

"Godric, please," chuckled Myles, procuring some parchment from his cloak, "Big brother's thought of that already: 'The City Watch shall hereby render unto Ser Myles Bettley any assistance or authority he requires in order to carry out the detention of Marya Kettrick and Edric Hill, and of anyone who would assist in their evasion of lawful detention," Myles quoted in a haughty tone, reading from the parchment, "Now, let's go up to the castle, shall we? You can wait there, while Marya and her boy there can wait in the cells at the barracks..."

Godric's forehead smashed into Myles' nose as he drew his sword and slashed at the man on his right. Edric, armed with a hammer he used in his trade, charged the man on Myles' left. The fight was on.

OOC: I'd like a mod roll to see if the trio escape. Pro's and cons:
    Pro:

- Godric has the element of surprise, obviously.

- It's the middle of the night, the City Watch really only consists of night patrolmen at this point.

- Godric has two horses ready if he can incapacitate, or kill, the trio in his way.

- If their escape eastwards is blocked (eg the gates controlling the valley are shut) they will flee west, deeper into the Westerlands. Further rolls will be needed as the RP continues.

Cons:

- The City Watch can still be raised if the alarm is sounded. Myles will attempt to flee in order to do so, leaving his two cronies to die as a distraction if need be.

- Their escape route can be blocked via the east, at which point they'd need to double back through the town and risk capture trying to escape out towards the west.

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Trot's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

So I'm doing this as a series of rolls

Assassination roll on the right guard (one Godric is slashing at)
    2/20 +10 element of surprise
    Roll 11 success
    Lefford's sword enters the man on the rights neck dropping him before he can react

Myles fight or flight
    1-10 fight 11-20 flight roll subject to a +2 modifier because of miles being stunned
    Roll 18+2 20 Myles turns and starts to high tail it out of there before Lefford can turn back to him.

Left Guard and Edric
    2/20 assassination +5 surprise lessened modifier due to him having more time to get ready.
    Roll 19 The guard brings his weapon up and blocks Edrics strike, but finds himself facing Lefford and Edric alone

Fight or flight
    1-10 Fight 11-20 fight +8 to the roll due to commander fleeing and being outnumbered
    6+8 14 the man throws down his weapon and runs after his commander.

Raising the alarm
    1-5 Myles quickly raises the alarm 6-10 miles raises the alarm after a short time 7-15 miles takes a long time to get the alarm raised 16-20 miles fails to raise the alarm in time
    Roll 14 it takes miles some time to find other guards that night the cry is delayed.

Blocking the gate
    With the cry raised the guards will attempt to block Lefford's escape this rolls chances are modified by the previous roll
    1-5 the gate is blocked 6-20 the gate is clear
    4 despite the late cry there were guards stationed near the gate that managed to block it before lefford could escape.

Doubling back
    Run into guards
    1-10 yes 11-20 no
    Roll 14
    Despite the delay at being forced to double back they mange to avoid the guards starting to search the streets for them and make it to the village unscathed. Thus they can make it out of the village to the West without being caught.

Poach's Avatar Civitate

Godric's sword lodged in the chest of Myles' first goon, and he had to apply his foot to the dead man to haul it out. By then, Myles was halfway up the street, followed close behind by his second goon whose sword hand had been swiftly shattered by Edric's hammer: the man would probably never use the hand well again.

"Edric, the horses!" said Godric with haste in his voice, as he moved back to a very pale looking Marya, and soothingly said, "Come, love, there's not much time. The alarm will be raised any moment now."

She nodded meekly and joined Godric on his horse, Edric riding the other. She'd been a washerwoman all her life: the sight of a dead man with a gaping wound from his shoulder down into the middle of his chest was a rude welcome to the rougher aspects of life.

The trio dashed down the street and onto the main road just as the bells began to toll. At the far end, guardsmen were already hauling the gates shut, blocking the town's main eastern exit along the River Road. With no wall on the other side, the fugitives turned west and set off at best pace, riding out of town and past a guard post that attempted to stop them: Edric knocked one man down and Godric narrowly swerved around another.

The Westerlands Countryside

The trio had stopped at a stream well away from the main road: doubtless ravens had already flown to all the nearby keeps west of the mountain pass, altering them to what had happened and asking them to search for the escapees. Patrols on the road would've been given their description.

"We'll follow the mountain pass as far down as Sarsfield," said Godric, "then strike south onto the Gold Road. From there we're best heading west to Lannisport and then south on the Ocean Road into the Reach, before turning eastwards for King's Landing.
    "There are faster ways west," said Edric, "There's passes through the mountains before Sarsfield onto the Gold Road, and we can cross the mountains at Deep Den pass. I've worked on mineshafts up there many times."

"Aye, and that's where they'll look for us," said Godric, "Myles expects us to take the fastest route possible to King's Landing: he'll have sent a raven to Deep Den and will be sending riders to comb the valleys that link Deep Den pass to Goldentooth pass. Making for the Reach is our only chance to stay undetected."

So it was that the three set off, making slow progress as they stuck to sheep-herders' paths at the base of the mountain range rather than use the River Road. Down on the River Road, groups of riders inspected all the inns and villages they passed through, showing hand-drawn pictures of the trio to villagers. Truthfully none had seen the three fugitives, for they remained high off the valley floor and using shepherd tracks to make their way east.

Sarsfield

By the time they'd reached Sarsfield, the group had to resupply. Food had lasted a few days, and a slain mountain lion had fed them a few days more. Knowing the potential risk, Godric went into the small town around Sarsfield castle alone, hoping the beard he'd grown in the past week would confound any hand-drawn pictures the locals guardsmen might've seen. He'd also swapped clothes with Edric to appear as a commoner, in case his status as highborn had been communicated in the warrants for his arrest, and had dirtied his face and hands to appear as a farmhand or labourer. He went in on foot, wouldn't do to be showing off a horse in his current disguise.

He knew of a grocer that tended to supply wagon trains and processions going up and down the road who he could both buy in bulk from without raising suspicion while also enquiring about any news from the road. Though he'd never been involved himself, he remembered stopping there a few times when the family made trips to and from Casterly Rock and waiting while his father's servants loaded up goods for the last leg of the trip home.

"Lot of caravans on the road getting stopped and searched," the man said as he wrapped various bundles of salted meats, hard bread, and cheese, "Apparently looking for some runaway noble in the company of a woman and a young man."

"From Sarsfield?" asked Godric, trying to find a way to discern how far east the patrols were going.

"Nay lad, from up-valley: Goldentooth and the surrounds. Heard all the Leffords are still in King's Landing, but nobody knows which noble lad it is what ran. There's a few noble Houses up that way, sworn to old Lord Harmund. Expect to be stopped between here and there if 'tis where you're headed."

"I'm for Lannisport, master grocer, heard the docks pay a man better than the farms here," said Godric, "expect I won't be troubled?"

"Unlikely, my boy: all I've heard is from east of here. You be careful in Lannisport: it's a proper city, puts this place to shame, you'll find life very different."

Godric said his thanks and left the grocers, hoping his presence in the town hadn't been noticed. He began making his way back out of town.

[OOC: Another roll(s), please, this will likely be the last one. Godric has correctly guessed that Myles would focus his searches on the various routes south, expecting Godric to attempt to cross the mountains via Deep Den to more quickly reach King's Landing. By going east instead, he's left the area being actively searched, but has been forced to enter Sarsfield proper to buy enough supplies to complete the longer route. As the nearest major keep to the west, Sarsfield would form the western edge of the search area, and would've been given a description of the three in case the patrols on the River Road missed them.

If he can leave Sarsfield undetected, he's home free. If he's detected but is able to escape, the search will shift with him and he'll have to evade patrols while trying to reach Lannisport.]

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Trot's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

Is he recognized 5/20 chance

Roll 14 Lefford makes it through the pass unrecognized.

On their return back to Casterly Rock, Tybolt Lannister and his household made their way slowly through the lands of their vassals; inevitably coming across the Golden Tooth, which stands guard upon the River Road. The rather sizeable host of servants and nobles halts before the gates and requests entry to the Lord Lefford's abode.

Poach's Avatar Civitate

The party are allowed entry, having previously passed through in the other direction to attend Riverrun. Lord Harmund greets Lord Lannister.

"Welcome, my Lord," he said, "I hope your trip proved productive."

Not moments after Lord Lannister entered, a servant handed Lord Harmund a raven scroll. As he read it, the old Lord's face visibly darkened.

"Not really, Harmund. It was a lot of squawking and squabbling, like a nest of ruffled hens. Only these hens want war."

Replied Lannister, gruffly. His wearied face contorted into a frown of concern.

"Bad news?"

He questioned, noticing Harmund's changed expression.

Poach's Avatar Civitate

"Yes, my Lord, bad news." he said darkly, folding the paper away, "My second son was appointed to Dragonstone as Steward. He stole away a peasant woman with whom he had a bastard child: he has now written proclaiming that he has wed her - against my wishes - and that the King has legitimised his bastard. A peasant now carries the Lefford name. What shame he brings upon his family."

He sighed deeply, meeting Lord Lannister's gaze again, "War, then, my Lord? Does the West march?"

"Ah, I see."

Replied Tybolt, a little uncomfortable with discussing the inner politics of the Lefford family. He cleared his throat noisily.

"I don't see this as our fight. Lord Tyrell has picked a spat with the King over some quibble over justice. My chief concern is the return of Crakehall."

He shook his shaggy head, and grunted with disapproval at the thought of warring over such nonsense.

"If I can, I shall use my weight to resolve this peacefully and emerge in a stronger position. This war is leverage, Harmund. If I am able, I could get these troublesome magistrates out of our hair without being a suicidal fool like Tyrell."

Poach's Avatar Civitate

"That would be most wise," said Harmund, "careful compromise with the King, perhaps for support, may result in both the end of magistrates in the Westerlands and greater standing in Duncan's court. Has Tyrell allies among the other Lords Paramount? At Court?"

"A marriage with Tully, which doesn't bode well. That fool has been looking for an excuse for a scrap ever since his daughter was spurned. The Stormlands may march."

Tully would almost certainly raise his banners in support of the Reach. Baratheon was less certain, but it seemed to Tybolt that the Stormlord still had an axe to grind against the King. Admittedly, Duncan wasn't the most likeable. But he was anointed and crowned, and those magistrates weren't so much of a pain in the ass if you were clever about it.

"Ho, whats this?"

Lannister turned, someone calling for his attention. Apparently, a rider had come from Casterly Rock in the direction of Riverrun. He'd been fortunate enough to meet Lord Lannister on the road, and now entered the Golden Tooth with a message. Gerold had already read it, and stepped forwards.

"It seems Lord Tarly's mission was to secure Lord Crakehall's release. By the King's orders."

Tybolt grinned. So, no matter who won, he got exactly as he wanted.

"Good news, at last. Though it is a tad confusing; Tyrell was eager to hand over Crakehall when he learned Highgarden was besieged, but by the same token it is only being besieged to free Crakehall."

The Lord of Lannister laughed incredulously. It seemed the Reachman didn't have a damned clue what he really wanted.

"I believe they were trying to play me for a fool at that council. I was offered exactly what Tarly was going to give me in the first place."

Poach's Avatar Civitate

"The West's armies are mighty, my Lord," said Harmund, "If Lord Crakehall's release seemed likely to bring you over to the rebel side I can see why Lord Tyrell would agree to his release. Perhaps he was hoping to commit you in some irreversible manner before this word reached you."

Harmund thought on the balance of power Lord Lannister's words suggested, "The Reach, Riverlands, and Stormlands are certainly capable of overpowering the Crownlands: even if the Stormlands do not march, the other two represent the largest populations of the Seven Kingdoms, either one alone is more than a match for the Crownlands, assuming they are able to command the loyalty of their vassals: magistrates are unpopular among all the nobility, I understand. The King may lose regardless."

"He may."

Lannister conceded. The way Harmund put it, the odds were certainly stacked up against Duncan.

"Perhaps we should simply bide our time, gather our strength and see how the cards fall. Our painting of the scene at the present lacks sufficient clarity, for my taste."

He'd certainly have to take counsel with his vassals again. If the West was to rise, it needed to be decisive.

Poach's Avatar Civitate

"In choosing a side during a time of civil war, information and timing are key, my Lord," said Harmund, "I fought in the first Blackfyre Rebellion, saw my grandfather slain before the gates of Lannisport, and what I remember most is the confusion: the whole realm a patchwork of Blackfyre and Targaryen loyalists, meeting bodies of men on the road not knowing whether a battle was imminent or if your own host just grew in size. Knowing where we stand before we commit would be most wise, indeed."

“Very well. I shall bide my time in the Rock for now. When I am ready to move, you shall be the first to hear of it.”

Nodded Tybolt. Lefford’s counsel once again appealed to his own cautious mentality when it came to warfare; the man had, as they say, seen the elephant, so it was wise to heed what he had to say.

”But first... Let us break bread, eh? I’m starving!”

The Lord of the West chuckled heartily.

Poach's Avatar Civitate

"Of course, of course," said Harmund, waving over a servant, "We shall dine now."

As was befitting a Lord Paramount, the best the castle had to offer was put out. Tybolt and his party would want for nothing.

"How fares the family, then?" asked Harmund as the first course was served to the assembled party. Harmund's own family had joined him: Raymar, his son, Kyra, his young daughter, and Raymar's own daughter Olenna. Raymar's two sons were squires to other Houses and were not present.

"I cannot complain, my Lord. My eldest grandson is almost old enough to wed, now, which doesn't half make me feel old."

Tytos gave a wily grin. Gerold also smiled, though it felt forced. It didn't reach his eyes. The fact he didn't approve of a Reyne one day sitting in Casterly Rock was an open secret in Tybolt's court.

"Cerelle dotes on him too much, though. You know what women are like. All boys need to become men, someday."

He bit into a hunk of meat, and chewed it voraciously, eyeing the other Leffords present. A few were missing, he noticed, putting the dots together.

"Robb sent him off to squire, like your own son's lads. With Lord Baratheon, I believe. I pray he comes back with some fire in his belly!"

Poach's Avatar Civitate

Ah, Lord Lannister's grandson serves House Baratheon as a squire. This may be a contribution to his desire to remain out of any conflict: even siding with the King would now present risk.

"I'm sure he shall, I'm sure he shall," said Harmund with a chuckle, "do not all newly anointed young knights come home believing themselves ready to take on the world and win? I dare say you'll have more need to rein him in than you'll have need to worry for his ardour, my Lord."

"Have you any matches in mind for your grandson?" Harmund ventured. Talk of marriage had jolted the old Lord's memory: his own daughter Kyra, at 20, really should be wed soon, if not already, Harmund admitted to himself, but he so enjoyed having her at home. Raymar's own daughter was also nearing marriageable age having turned 15 not long past.

"I suspect I will have to speak with his father about it in due course."

Shrugged Tybolt. The boy was a little young yet to marry, and he assumed that Lord Reyne would want to handle his eldest son's marriage with as little interference as possible from Lannister.

"My nephew needs a bride, though. Gerold's son, Ser Jason Lannister."

Tybolt inclined his head to his younger brother, who was currently caught up in conversation with a few landed knights.

"Perhaps something could be arranged?" He ventured, noting that Lord Lefford had two young-looking women sat with him.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast