Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Riverrun, Seat of House Tully

Default Re: Riverrun, Seat of House Tully

If he was going to hang me, he would have done it already.

Aegon took another sip. The wine helped.

"I did some travelling in the east, my lord. Did my time as a sellsword some years past, in the Second Sons."

Another sip. He took a piece of fruit, then continued with nonchalance:

"There's a dragon over there who calls himself our king. Albeit he's the wrong colour for some men."

A black one. Black as the blade of dark, ice coloured steel that he bore.

"But there are some that say no matter the colour, a dragon is still a dragon. They all look the same to me, nay?"

He allowed himself a smile.

Pericles of Athens's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

“And should the king choose to ignore the advice of our chosen Small Council?” Arryn questioned. “Would they shout him down and speak in his place, and who from amongst their number would command that council? As it seems however controls that council will be king to your mind Lord Tully?” Arryn scoffed. “Of course I would not allow the King his excesses, he has had his fun, and now is the time to return to the normal way of things.”

———

Arryn shook his head at the words of Lord Lannister, the Crakehall situation complicated things. “Lord Luthor, is it not true that Crakehall was found innocent of any crime against the King’s Peace, by a court you assembled to judge him?” He did not understand the workings of those outside the Vale.

The Mad Skylord's Avatar Tribunus

Tully took a gulp of wine now, mind ticking with the wonderful opportunity in front of him. Such a wonderful chance. Sitting across the table. He let the words slip out, nonchalantly, but so full of greed. "The Targaryens have faltered into wretchedness, House Blackfyre is welcome within my halls."

It was too swift, too eager, Axel Tully knew. But a king who was actually a king? A chance to have a real revenge upon Duncan? It was too good to be true.
    Last edited by The Mad Skylord; December 10, 2017 at 03:15 PM.

"Let the King simply see his mistakes as we need a common cause to let him abolish currently established laws", Baratheon merely said annoyed, "I already signed the petition because as long as the realm becomes stable under a reasonable regent again, my goals were achieved. Thus, if it is only the points, Lord Arryn and Lord Tyrell mentioned, then cut them. While the deal with Crakehall is something Lord Tyrell and Lord Lannister shall deal on upon their own in my opinion.
    If we debate further on details with whom half of us disagree, no advantage is gained."

Tully was feeling exasperated with the combination of obstinacy and stupidity he found himself surrounded by. "Lord Arryn, are saying you believe Duncan so stupid that he would attempt to pass a law that we had rejected? He can do it with us scattered around the Realm, but not when we hold power of our own. He will have no option but to comply with out wishes if we regard it as damaging to the natural order.

It is hardly a subversion of his power, besides, all he must do is attempt to assemble some sort of support in order to get his point across.

Regardless, as it is such a bone of contention, we shall do as Lord Baratheon suggests and adapt the Declaration."

Quote Originally Posted by Declaration of Riverun
    To King Duncan I Targaryen, Lord of the Seven Kingdoms and Protector of the Faith,
    We, the peers of Westeros, do hereby make the following demands of your Crown. You have broken solemn pacts, failed to compensate for the breaking of said pacts and you have shown what the word of your Crown is worth. Not only this, but you have stripped away our inalienable rights and responsibilities as the Lords of our lands, empowered mere merchants and given ridiculous rights to the wretched peasantry. Above all of this, you stand married to a peasant, and the future of your line is tainted by such association.

Our demands are as follows;

• The Council of Merchants shall be disbanded forthwith. Such an institution is an insult to the Lords of the Realm, and shall not be tolerated.
    • All Royal Magistrates will be stripped of their powers and responsibilities, the Lords of the Seven Kingdoms refuse to have their right to adjudicate taken by upjumped commoners.
    • It will be declared illegal for a person of noble blood to marry a commoner.
    • All heirs of your body - resulting from your marriage to Jenny of Oldstones - shall be excluded from the line of succession as if they were bastards, on account of their baseborn nature.
    • The Peasant Reforms of King Aegon V shall be undone.
    • The sycophants of your Privy Council will be removed from office, replaced by those deemed worthy by the greatest Lords of the Realm.

There is no doubt, Sire, that our demands are just and true. Your mismanagement of the Seven Kingdoms is legendary, but no longer will you be allowed to rob us of our traditional rights.

[SIGNED} Lord Axel Tully of Riverrun {TULLY SEAL]
    [SIGNED} Lord Ormond Baratheon of Storm's End {BARATHEON SEAL]
    "Is this more to your liking, my Lord Arryn and Tyrell?"
    Last edited by The Mad Skylord; December 10, 2017 at 03:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Mad Skylord View Post
    Tully took a gulp of wine now, mind ticking with the wonderful opportunity in front of him. Such a wonderful chance. Sitting across the table. He let the words slip out, nonchalantly, but so full of greed. "The Targaryens have faltered into wretchedness, House Blackfyre is welcome within my halls."

It was too swift, too eager, Axel Tully knew. But a king who was actually a king? A chance to have a real revenge upon Duncan? It was too good to be true.
    Aegon was more than a little relieved. He wasn't sure yet if he should reveal his true identity - Bittersteel's son would be a valuable hostage, should his identity be known.

"King Haegon has a son and daughter too, or so I hear. Unlike our current monarch."

He took another piece of fruit - a grape - and popped it into his mouth.

"Perfect for a marriage alliance, I should think. Of course, I believe he himself is a widower, since... Bittersteel's daughter passed on."

There was some hesitation. He was careful to avoid a slip of the tongue.

Poach's Avatar Civitate

"It continues to press too far for my liking," said Luthor with a sigh, "I shall back you in moves to throw back the King's moves to place more power with the commonfolk: magistrates and his merchant council must be abolished. I want no part in this plot to turn the King into a mere figurehead, defanged by a Small Council stuffed with those who answer to another master."

He then turned to Lord Lannister,
    "Tytos, I hold Crakehall merely to gain some satisfaction after his men brought violence and death into my lands. His family have, beyond all logic, not attempted to ransom him: I suspect perhaps whoever controls Crakehall now has usurped the Lord who sits in my dungeons. King Duncan's interference prevented me from dispensing justice myself, as is my traditional right and privilege as a Lord Paramount. I shall release him when some form of compensation is paid."

Quote Originally Posted by Poach View Post
    "It continues to press too far for my liking," said Luthor with a sigh, "I shall back you in moves to throw back the King's moves to place more power with the commonfolk: magistrates and his merchant council must be abolished. I want no part in this plot to turn the King into a mere figurehead, defanged by a Small Council stuffed with those who answer to another master."

"Tytos, I hold Crakehall merely to gain some satisfaction after his men brought violence and death into my lands. His family have, beyond all logic, not attempted to ransom him: I suspect perhaps whoever controls Crakehall now has usurped the Lord who sits in my dungeons. King Duncan's interference prevented me from dispensing justice myself, as is my traditional right and privilege as a Lord Paramount. I shall release him when some form of compensation is paid."

"Stop talking bollocks, Tyrell. Last I checked, Crakehall is in the Westerlands, so he's my damned subject. If you want satisfaction, take it up with me before throwing him in a bloody dungeon. Matters of the West are not your concern."

Lannister snarled, jabbing a meaty finger at Tyrell.

"If Crakehall isn't released, then it is an affront to not only the King, but me also. I won't allow my honour to be impugned, and I'll take no further part in this while my vassal rots in Highgarden."

He glared at all present, waiting, no, daring for another to intervene. Though the issue of Crakehall wasn't on the council's agenda, he was determined to make it so.

Poach's Avatar Civitate

"This was not a matter of the West, Tybolt," said Luthor in response, "His men spilled Reach blood on Reach soil. Would you allow a Reachman who had come to Lannisport to spill blood there and leave without judgement? I think not."

Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf. View Post
    Aegon was more than a little relieved. He wasn't sure yet if he should reveal his true identity - Bittersteel's son would be a valuable hostage, should his identity be known.

"King Haegon has a son and daughter too, or so I hear. Unlike our current monarch."

He took another piece of fruit - a grape - and popped it into his mouth.

"Perfect for a marriage alliance, I should think. Of course, I believe he himself is a widower, since... Bittersteel's daughter passed on."

There was some hesitation. He was careful to avoid a slip of the tongue.
    Tully didn't pick up on Longwaters' hesitation, lost instead in his own thoughts.

"I shall secure King's Landing for the House Blackfyre, Ser Longwaters. You may inform him of my support. I shall be ready upon his arrival."

Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf. View Post

"Stop talking bollocks, Tyrell. Last I checked, Crakehall is in the Westerlands, so he's my damned subject. If you want satisfaction, take it up with me before throwing him in a bloody dungeon. Matters of the West are not your concern."

Lannister snarled, jabbing a meaty finger at Tyrell.

"If Crakehall isn't released, then it is an affront to not only the King, but me also. I won't allow my honour to be impugned, and I'll take no further part in this while my vassal rots in Highgarden."

He glared at all present, waiting, no, daring for another to intervene. Though the issue of Crakehall wasn't on the council's agenda, he was determined to make it so.
    "This was not a matter of the West, Tybolt," said Luthor in response, "His men spilled Reach blood on Reach soil. Would you allow a Reachman who had come to Lannisport to spill blood there and leave without judgement? I think not."
    Tully called out to the two lords, fed up of such argument. "My lords, surely we can come to an agreement on this. If you release Lord Crakehall, Lord Tyrell then I am sure Lord Lannister will be happy to arrange for his vassal to compensate you. Will twenty thousand dragons satisfy your honour?"

Longwatets bowed his head graciously, and took his leave as soon as he was able. He would rejoin Baratheon’s retinue the following day, after penning a letter and ensuring it was sent down the river towards the Narrow Sea.

“I’ll respect whatever His Grace judged on the matter. As I would if I were in Lord Tyrell’s shoes.”

Stubbornly affirmed Lannister, brooding in his seat, arms folded like a petulant child.

”But without the King here to adjudicate, I’m willing to pay ten thousand for his release.”

Poach's Avatar Civitate

[OOC: Just so you guys know I'm not just neglecting to post, I'm waiting to see if this raven arrives as it will influence Luthor's disposition significantly.]

Poach's Avatar Civitate

The castle's maester appears carrying a letter by raven, from Highgarden, addressed to Lord Tyrell. It bears the seal of the castle's Castellan. Luthor reads it quietly and then addresses the gathering.

"My Lords it seems the King has moved first. An army under Lord Tarly has laid siege to Highgarden and demanded I surrender myself to royal authority immediately," he said, "This is no time for further squabbling: events have overtaken us. Lord Tytos, Crakehall shall be released once the siege of Highgarden has been lifted: I believe I've proven my point by keeping him a year already. Lord Axel, I shall sign your petition and we can deal with the objectionable parts in future negotiations with the Crown."

"The King has pushed me into your camp," he said with a chuckle, "to think I was among the moderates in this gathering! By your leave I must send ravens to my vassals in the Reach announcing the King's invasion and Lord Tarly's treachery."
    Last edited by Poach; December 11, 2017 at 05:33 AM.

Tarly had pushed Tyrell into the exact place Tully wanted him. It couldn't have worked better.

"It seems to me, my Lords, that the King wishes for a war. In light of this recent treachery, I propose something a tad more extreme than a march in force.

I will gather my own liveryman, as well as the men I have stationed at the two keeps on the Trident. Lord Lannister will do the same, and we will sweep south to relieve Highgarden.

Lord Baratheon, meanwhile, will move into the Crownlands, issuing summons to the various High Lords there - they will feel the weight of the Peasant reforms, if not the weight of the magistrates - and he will blockade the capital, aiming to prevent the King from assembling a reinforcing army.

Such action is messy, my Lords, but now that the King sees fit to make open war upon his vassals, it is proven to be necessary.

If we are in agreement, then I would suggest you call your vassals and their liverymen to Hightower. Let us not waste time and lives with vast arrays of militia and huge armies, let us be a hammer blow with the men we already have under arms.

We must make this conflict as short as possible, and we must ensure it does not become too costly. By defeating the King's hound, we will show our teeth and he will be forced into agreement at our mutual alignment. "

Poach's Avatar Civitate

"Tarly will pay the price for siding with a doomed King over his rightful liege," said Luthor, his fist crushing the raven scroll, "but alas I am paralysed for now. Tarly is well connected among the nobility of the Reach: both the Hightowers and Redwynes, principal vassals both, are tied to him through marriage. Still, I shall brand him a traitor and summon my bannermen: we shall see who sides with the King and his assaults on the aristocracy itself, and who sides with their Lord Paramount to protect their ancient rights."

"Tarly visited me at the funeral of my brother's wife", Baratheon merely commented, "He wished for a way to smuggle his forces into the capital via my ships, which I had to deny - after all this could be seen as treason by the Crown,
    should his bannermen cause havoc within the capital.
    It surprises me that the High Lord stands now against you, mylord Tyrell - he seemed more opposed to the King's law in my opinion when we last met.
    Perhaps I was wrong."

He looked then confident towards Lord Tyrell.
    "You will have my support in this, mylord Tyrell, as this can concern any of us, for any reason the King brings up", Lord Baratheon concluded, "I don't wish for a war, but it seems that Duncan's purpose is to disappoint me and my House whenever he can.
    The King made his first move, as I feared. Now it's on our side to keep the damage as minimal as possible."

“If Lord Crakehall is being released then I can scarcely complain.”

Conceded Lannister, who was visibly surprised about this turn of events, and how eager the assembled lords were to take up their arms against the King. He figured that Tarly had been sent to remind Tyrell of his place after defying the King’s judgement.

”I shall return to Casterly Rock and come to Highgarden to see Crakehall freed. But I don’t wish open war with the King; his conflict with Lord Tyrell isn’t mine.”

Lannister was content to have the privileges of the peasantry revoked and the magistrates sent home or replaced with men of higher birth. Preferably those under his thumb.

"None of us wishes open war, Lord Lannister", Baratheon merely added, "Yet, it seems that the King sees it in a different way.
    It is one thing to summon a Lord Paramount for his misdeeds to the capital, but sending an entire army in order to lay siege to Highgarden is not a buiseness of law anymore.
    The King broke his own peace by himself - just as I feared. I can only hope that there are others among the Targaryens, who do not share the views of the King - else it will end in a war."
    He made a brief pause.
    "I'll inform my uncle of the meeting's outcome via raven and order him to be prepared. Eventually I will return to the Stormlands in order to keep my men ready, should the conflict go dire.
    Yet I hope that it won't last long and that the King sees that he has to give in with his reforms."

Poach's Avatar Civitate

"I can only concur with Lord Baratheon," said Luthor, "I received no summons, not even a request to explain myself: nay, all I received was an army at my gates. It is the King who has opted for war over words, Tytos, not I."

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast