Thread: Castamere, seat of House Reyne

Barry Goldwater's Avatar Mr. Conservative

Default Castamere, seat of House Reyne

Castamere is an oddity of a castle. On the surface, an outside observer may see only a modest fortress - the sort that should rightly belong to a lesser lord rather than the second most powerful house in the Westerlands - atop a wooded hill, overlooking a small pristine lake from which the castle derives its name. However, in truth Castamere is a castle nearly as grand as Casterly Rock, with 9/10ths of it being concealed underground: the old silver and gold mines beneath the surface fortress have dried up long ago, but never ones to let a good thing go to waste, the Reynes have converted these mines into a series of elaborate halls, galleries, bedchambers and a massive ballroom, held up by pillars of gold- and silver-veined marble where once they were but tunnels held up with wooden ones and covered in the red-and-silver tapestries of the house.

Reyne household
    Roger Reyne, Lord of Castamere, 'the Red Lion'

Spouse: Cerelle Lannister
    Humors:
    Choleric:
    - Ill-Tempered: This character is ornery and seems to explode at the slightest provocation. While they've gotten into enough fights to toughen them up, a person who's as easily baited as a bull that sees red won't make a good commander. +1 Duels, -1 Battles.

- Impulsive: This character acts before (sometimes, without) thinking. They might move and decide more quickly than others, but their recklessness can lead them to disaster as well. +5% movement speed, -1 to detection rolls.

Sanguine:
    - Confident: This character is very self-assured, brimming with confidence and difficult to shake even under pressure. However, taken to an extreme, they can show a suicidal disregard for their life and the lives of others, and fail to take...well, failure into account when planning. +1 battle rolls, +1 to rout rolls against this character.

Traits:
    Personal Combat: +4 (+3 base, +1 'Ill-Tempered')
    Battles: +2 (+2 base, -1 'Ill-Tempered', +1 'Confident')
    Wealth: +1 (+5%)
    +5% movement speed ('Impulsive')
    -1 to detection rolls ('Impulsive')

Ser Reynard Reyne

Spouse: Elia Crakehall (age 21)
    Humors:
    Sanguine:
    - Sociable: This character is an extroverted social butterfly, capable of making friends left and right. However, they have little time for 'boring' matters like finances, and are more interested in buying flashy things to show off to their friends than managing their wealth. +1 Charisma, -2% income.

- Upbeat: Nothing seems to get this character down. They're perpetually smiling and looking on the bright side of even the darkest developments, truly the kind of optimism that can be infectious...or delusional, if the situation is bad enough. +1 to surviving non-battle death rolls, -1 to post-battle rolls (captivity, death, wounding).

Supine:
    - Amiable: This character is a pleasant person who tries very hard to get along with everyone s/he meets. Indeed, perhaps too hard, at that...they also tend to excessively seek validation from others, and at worst can be described as clingy ticks. +1 Charisma, -1 to duel rolls.

Traits:
    +4 Charisma (+2 base, +1 'Sociable', +1 'Amiable')
    +2 Scout
    +2 Survival (+1 base, +1 from 'Upbeat' except in battles; becomes 0 in battles from 'Upbeat')
    +1 Assassin
    -1 Personal Combat (from 'Amiable')
    -2% income (from 'Sociable')

Other Reynes
    Ellyn, Roger and Reynard's sister (technically part of House Tarbeck)

Robb, Roger and Cerelle's son (age 12, b. 228 AC)
    Robar, Robb and Cerelle's son (age 10, b. 230 AC)
    Reyna, Robb and Cerelle's daughter (age 7, b. 233 AC)

Ronia, Reynard's daughter (age 4, b. 236 AC)
    Ronnel, Reynard's son (age 3, b. 237 AC)

Regional bonii
    Castamere:
    Gold Mines: Castamere is a rich region, though not as rich as Casterly Rock, as like the Rock the land is rich with veins of gold. All characters start with an additional 50,000 Gold Dragons.

Upgrades
    N/A

Income
    Castamere: Very Rich: 70,000 + 5% (Lord has +1 wealth) = 73,500

Troops
    Large Levy - 5,500 points

No pros yet

Vassals
    House Tarbeck - Tarbeck Hall: Very Small Levy, 750 points

The Mad Skylord's Avatar Tribunus

Default Re: Castamere, seat of House Reyne

The great retinue of Lord Roland Crakehall arrived to the Castle of Castamere. Lord Roland's retinue contained much less of the luxuries that most retinues had, instead being a band of his best knights and men at arms, the principle defenders of the Marches, as well as Roland's vassals and their sons.

The Brigade of horsemen arrived, with a request for an audience with the Lord of Castamere.

The Crakehalls are welcomed without much fanfare beyond the sound of horn and trumpet-blasts from Castamere's walls: Lord Roger, too, was not the sort of man to luxuriate in...well, luxury, but one focused on the martial arts and utility over beauty. Still, that didn't mean he went out of his way to take down the tapestries and other decorations that glorified his house - there were plenty of those for his guest of the day to see as he was guided beneath Castamere's modest surface keep, and through level after level of gray and white tunnels lined with dazzling tapestries, portraits of past Reynes, statues, and (no doubt Roger's favorite above the rest) stuffed animal heads mounted on or along the walls.

The Lord of Castamere waits in Castamere's main reception hall for guests of import, about halfway down the hill on which the surface fortress rested. No doubt a previous Reyne lord thought it would be a good idea to ensure that highborn guests would have to see the house's glories before actually receiving their audience, with the hopes that they'd be suitably impressed ahead of their chat with the men they wanted to meet: the present occupier of this castle didn't have sufficient social grace to think of such a scheme himself. Still, Reyne did have enough courtesy to be dressed in a fine silver doublet with the red lion embroidered on his chest and deep Burgundy leggings imported all the way from Myr (probably at the advice of his wife), and to have servants standing at the ready to provide their masters & guest with food and wine.

"Lord Crakehall. What brings you to Castamere?" Roger greeted Lord Roland once the latter was in earshot, gruff but not unfriendly, while young maids poured Arbor red for them.

"Lord Roger, it has been too long."

Crakehall was dressed in plain, functional traveling clothes, with supple riding boots and a woolen cloak. He'd left his sword with his mount in the upper castle, seeing no need to wear that tool into the castle of a friend.

" Business is what motivates me, Roger. I hope to ask a favour of you.

As you know, the security of the Marches is of utmost importance to myself and my house - it has been our greatest duty since the first days of House Crakehall.

My neighbours in Cornfield are a band of Lords with no overlord, no one to organise them and to keep them in line. They are - in a word - a liability. At the same time, I am not so selfless as to suggest to Lord Lannister that their neighbours on the other side, or they themselves be made overlords, but I have not the clout to make such a demand myself.

I need your help, Roger, for it is something that the true heir of Casterly Rock and her husband can aid me in."

Roger nodded along as Crakehall spoke, arms folded. His brother-in-law spoke the truth: Cornfield had no master, and its throng of lesser lords would be less organized than the rest of the Westerlands in the event of war. He couldn't think of a better candidate for mastery of Cornfield beyond Crakehall, personally: he was right next door, a warrior in the prime of his life, and tied to House Reyne by marriage. He was also tied to the wrong Lannister branch by marriage, of course, but Roger expected Roland to know who the rightful heir to Casterly Rock by all the laws of gods & men was. So, at last, he assented with a nod.

"What would you have us say to the Lord of Casterly Rock?" He queried, looking from Crakehall to his wife.

"I would have you comment on the need for security along the border in such times of discontent - who knows what the Reach will do, with Lord Tyrell spited so?"

Crakehall paused.

"I do not see Ser Gerold standing in the way if such a proposal - his marriage to my sister will force him to see it in a beneficial light, no doubt he will be glad of a potentially more powerful ally in case of a succession crisis."

Crakehall looked between his brother and sister in law.

" I will personally try to divert Gerold and his sons away from the Rock. If they find lands elsewhere, it will rob them of the chance to challenge the Lady Cerelle on taking up her rightful inheritance."

It was a sticky subject for Crakehall, but ultimately he had to decide on the law, not on who, though this favour would make a difference.

" I will uphold the law - and every bit of clout I gain will aid me in doing so. "

Jokern's Avatar Mowbray of Nottingham

Lady Cerelle, dressed in a fantastic navy blue dress, sipping Arbor Red from a silver cup and musing to herself. It pleased her so to see one of uncle Gerold's greatest potential allies openly swear himself to her rightful inheritance.

"It pleases me so to hear that men of honor still exist in this world, Lord Crakehall. Those who respect the laws of god and men will always be welcome at Casterly Rock."

An invitation from House Baratheon for a small banquet at Storm's End is sent to House Reyne of Castamere.

Quote Originally Posted by The Mad Skylord View Post
    "I would have you comment on the need for security along the border in such times of discontent - who knows what the Reach will do, with Lord Tyrell spited so?"

Crakehall paused.

"I do not see Ser Gerold standing in the way if such a proposal - his marriage to my sister will force him to see it in a beneficial light, no doubt he will be glad of a potentially more powerful ally in case of a succession crisis."

Crakehall looked between his brother and sister in law.

" I will personally try to divert Gerold and his sons away from the Rock. If they find lands elsewhere, it will rob them of the chance to challenge the Lady Cerelle on taking up her rightful inheritance."

It was a sticky subject for Crakehall, but ultimately he had to decide on the law, not on who, though this favour would make a difference.

" I will uphold the law - and every bit of clout I gain will aid me in doing so. "
    Quote Originally Posted by Jokern View Post
    Lady Cerelle, dressed in a fantastic navy blue dress, sipping Arbor Red from a silver cup and musing to herself. It pleased her so to see one of uncle Gerold's greatest potential allies openly swear himself to her rightful inheritance.

"It pleases me so to hear that men of honor still exist in this world, Lord Crakehall. Those who respect the laws of god and men will always be welcome at Casterly Rock."
    "Aye." Roger said, nodding with a lion-like grin spreading over his face. It seemed there was little else to say: Crakehall had agreed to support their position against Cerelle's uncle, which was really all he wanted out of his brother-in-law, and now they were all in agreement about what to do. "With Cerelle at my side, I'll gladly advocate for your mastery over the Cornfield before Lord Tybolt. Try not to die before that happens, eh?"

Crakehall laughed easily.

"Aye, a lance to the throat would be an unfortunate end to things."

Jon Umber arrived at Castamere after an easy ride down th gold road. He had even been able to shed his bear skin cloak and trappings. These southerners didn't even have waist deep snowdrifts to wade through on the way to the piss shed. What privileged lives they led. Jon dismounted outside the massive castle complex and walked the last several hundred meters to the gate. he removed his gloves and knocked on the wooden gate, giving a smile. "I'll see the Reynes, if you don't mind." he said to the guards. He laughed as they pondered at the banner of his house, a long, deep sound.

The guards, after hurriedly consulting with Castamere's maester to determine just who the standard of the chained giant belonged to, allow Umber into the castle. Lord Roger awaits his newest visitor, visibly curious.

"You're an Umber of Last Hearth, is it not?" That was what Maester Jon had told him, anyway. Roger himself had never seen a Northman outside of the occasional adventuring sellsword in the campaign against the Peakes, nearly a decade ago. "I understand you've come quite far from your home. What brings you all the way to Castamere?"

"Aye a fair distance indeed." the large, hairy man said with a laugh. "In my lands it is customary to give such travelers a laaarge goblet of ale." He roared a laugh "And I was told these lords of summer would be generous!"

Lord Reyne is summoned to this father-in-law's side at Casterly Rock.

A small meal had been prepared for the guest, as was customary, but Roger had feared it wouldn't be enough to sate the appetite of a man with a raging giant on his banner. It looked like he was right, at least when it came to alcohol. Still...ale, of all things? He himself preferred Arbor Red, and knew that the other lords of the south generally had the refined tastes to better enjoy wine than such a commoner's drink. "Let it never be said that I am a poor host." He replied, and soon enough the servants would come bearing plenty of red wine for their lord and ale for his guest, even as Reyne himself was taking a seat and gesturing for Umber to take the chair opposite to him.

He sat heavily, admiring the cushions of the chair. "Now that we're all settled in, I guess it's time to talk business. Up north we have everything we could ever want. We're simple people for the most part, not so formal and delicate as you southrons, meaning no offense. We aren't extremely wealthy however, and this causes some problems. We must provide dowries same as you, and maintain a certain lifestyle. Though we tend to go for hunts or have feasts over whatever it is you do down here." He took the ale and gave it a long swallow. "Good stuff this, nice and brown."