Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Arbor

Default The Arbor

he Arbor is an island South of Oldtown, part of the Reach, greatest and richest of all the Westorosi kingdoms. The island is one of the major wine production centers in the known world, Arbor Gold is one of the most appreciated and loved wines in the whole known world, a exquisite drink that could only be grown and matured in the Arbor. Wine from the Arbor is usually sweeter than wine from Dorne. Tourneys held at the Arbor are restricted to knights as the lords of the isle take a great pride on chivalric traditions and customs.

The port town of Ryamsport is located on the Arbor, as well as the settlements of Vinetown and Starfish Harbor. Smaller islands in the vicinity of the Arbor include Stonecrab Cay, the Isle of Pigs, the Mermaid's Palace, Horseshoe Rock, and Bastard's Cradle. The Arbor and its surrounding isles are an excellent center for shipbuilding; the Redwyneshave the largest fleet in all Westeros. Vineguard is the fabled seat of House Redwyne. Originally just a small castle as time went by, additional fortifications were added, including the original towers being replaced by the current octagonal towers in the beginning of the second century; the period saw a significant improvment in the living quarters in the castle. Far from a fortress, the Redwyne seat is more a palace than anything, despite its circle of fortification remains formidable enough.

Robar Redwyne
    HOUSE REDWYNE

LORD ROBAR REDWYNE
    Born 220 AC

Titles: Lord of the Arbor.
    Children: Robert Redwyne (born 242 AC).

Traits and Temperaments (6+3=9):
    +2 Survival
    +1 Personal combat
    +1 Wealth (+5% income, -2% from Temperaments)
    +5 Charisma (+3 from Temperaments)

Sanguine:
    - Sociable: This character is an extroverted social butterfly, capable of making friends left and right. However, they have little time for 'boring' matters like finances, and are more interested in buying flashy things to show off to their friends than managing their wealth. +1 Charisma, -2% income.
    Supine:
    - Amiable: This character is a pleasant person who tries very hard to get along with everyone s/he meets. Indeed, perhaps too hard, at that...they also tend to excessively seek validation from others, and at worst can be described as clingy ticks. +1 Charisma, -1 to duel rolls.
    - Idealistic: This person is a strong believer in higher ideals and the innate goodness of man. On the one hand they tend to be inspiring and uplifting figures, on the other they can be taken advantage of by those who live well beneath their expectations. +1 Charisma, -1 to rout/assassination/escape rolls.

BIOGRAPHY:

obar Redwyne, second but eldest surviving son of Runceford Redwyne, Lord of the Arbor, and Alysanne Hightower, his third and last wife. Robar’s elder half-brother, Garth Redwyne, tragically died after his wet-nurse accidentally dropped him from the ramparts of the castle. Robar was the next born, but not the last, his sister Olenna being born several years later, with their father dying out of apoplexy when she was still a child. Due being the sole male heir of the whole Redwyne inheritance, Robar grew as a pampered, spoiled and troublesome lording. A good-for-nothing, he almost completely disregards any duties or obligations, being left in the hands of stewards and servants of his house; most of them remnants of his father’s own. Robar usually cares more about tournaments and hunts (despite there isn’t much game in the Arbor besides that provided by falconry), than anything else and gladly spends fabulous sums in courtly shows and entertainments, lavish armors and clothes, jewelry, tapestries and other luxury goods. He hasn’t even arranged his own betrothal yet, despite he is of age, but takes great pride in the one contracted between Olenna, his sister, and Daeron Targaryen, a match arranged when his father was still breathing. Betrothal brokered by the late Lord Runceford and Betha Blackwood, the queen. Thusly, he remains unmarried to this day, preferring the life of a careless bachelor, not bound to any wife or mistress, travelling through the continent taking part in tournaments and other diversions. More than often, though, he remains at his own lordship, where the Redwynes have their splendid seat, an elaborate and hardly practical castle, more a palace than anything, funded by the handsome revenues yielded yearly by the winetrade; an income that funds the lavish lifestyle of Redwynes and their formidable fleet.

Despite his volatile, capricious and mercurial character, the young lord is, however, incredibly lenient and merciful towards his subjects, rarely executing or physically injuring the wrong-doers and, such, the smallfolk usually reveres him as a benign ruler. More than once, a summary execution has been repelled in the very last second in exchange in a loss of purse, instead of life. Under his rule, the Arbor has become a land of fables, where feasting and partying seems like a constant, everything watered under gallons and gallons of good local wine. Chivalric traditions and pageants are constantly being held in Redwyne court, like the Feast of the Wine Vat, when scantily-clad maidens, noblewomen of high birth, crush the grapes in immense oaken vats in the middle of the castle’s courtyard, celebrating the end of the harvest and the beginning of the wine production. Lord Redwyne has a beautiful voice, something he takes great pride of, and usually has a taste for music, being known to have composed a piece or two in the past, one of them famously dedicated to his mistress of the time, the young Jeyne Pomminghan. Physically, Robar is quite tall and athletic, lean and nimble, with a wide smile, freckled cheeks, blue eyes and his head is crowned by a mop of auburn hair; he looks like an amicable, pleasant man, which is exactly what he is.

Among Robar’s living relatives the closest in kin are Garse Redwyne and his children, born of Rohase Florent: Desmond, Bethany and Rhonda Redwyne. Lord Redwyne fiercely despises them deeply, calling his uncle and cousin “Sir Wart” and “Pimples” respectively. He is fonder of Bethany and Rhonda, however he still thinks the elder is plain and boring and the younger too young to be of any consideration.

Military

Host

Medium Levy - 2,750 points

Professionals:

1,500 Heavy Infantry
    600 Polearm Infantry
    1,200 Crossbowmen

Fleet
    The Arbor (9,250 points)
    100 Dromonds (3,000)
    61 Heavy Galleys (3,050)
    30 AOR Ships (2,400)
    8 Grand Warships (800)
    -----------------------------
    199 ships

Professionals:
    20 AOR Ships (1,600)
    20 Heavy Galleys (1,000)
    ------------------------------
    40 ships

Grand total:

100 Dromonds
    81 Heavy Galleys
    50 AOR Ships
    8 Grand Warships
    239 ships (11,850 pp)
    +1,200 points from Fish trade resource.
    2 Grand Warships (200)
    10 AOR Ships (800)
    4 Heavy Galleys (200)
    100 Dromonds
    85 Heavy Galleys
    60 AOR Ships
    10 Grand Warships
    Total: 255 ships (13,050 points)

Vassals

House Goldwyne of Mermaid's Palace: Very Small Levy - 500 points.
    House Lowther of Stonecrab Cay: Very Small Levy - 500 points.
    House Lyberr of the Isle of Pigs: Very Small Levy - 500 points.
    House Graves of Horseshoe Rock: Very Small Levy - 500 points.
    House Pommingham of Bastard's Cradle: Very Small Levy - 500 points.

Income and upgrades

Base income: 70,000 GD
    Modifiers: +3%+30% (buildings)=23,100 GD
    Total: 93,100 GD

Trade

1. Fruits (not traded).
    2. Fish (not traded).
    3. Fruits (open to trade).
    4. Not yet.

Buildings

Tier I:
    -Small Trade Market - Gives access to the trade system, provides one resource to select to trade.
    -Market Square: +10% income
    -(Coastal Only) Dockyard: +500 naval militia points, +10% income

Tier II:
    -Merchant's Square: +10% province income
    (Coastal Only) Large Dockyard: +750 naval militia points, 5% cheaper naval mercs, +5% income

Tier III:
    -(Coastal Only) Major Dockyard: +1,000 naval militia points, 10% cheaper naval mercs, +5% income
    Tier IV:
    -Military Dockyard
    Bonuses: +3,000 naval professional points cap, 10% cheaper hiring and maintenance of professional ships, +50% ship speed.
    Drawbacks: Can no longer maintain a land militia.

Fully commit the resources of your province to maintaining a fleet by disbanding all land-based local militias and requiring that those men conduct their service within the naval militia instead and retooling local industries to fully support the construction of warships. Your province will become a centre for naval industries and shipbuilding, producing more ships of superior quality and creating the facilities needed to maintain them effectively.

Edicts

Naval Infrastructure. 10,000 Dragons. +1,000 naval militia points.
    Press Gangs. 10,000 Dragons. +1,000 naval militia points.

Last edited by Oznerol; December 12, 2017 at 10:40 AM.

Left: artwork by the great Duncan Fegredo.

A link to my Deviantart's account.

General Brewster's Avatar The Flying Dutchman
    Blog Entries

Default Re: The Arbor

After a long, cold and especially wet voyage a Tarly host appeared on The Arbor, Lord Samwell Tarly had not slept during the voyage, he was a man of the land, solid ground was his thing. Not the rough sea's. He had puked full many of buckets. Now on land again he instantly improved, although he was somewhat weakened by the voyage. With Samwell's two daughters, Melissa and Talla had joined him so did Dickon. Notable absentee was Mace Tarly, the now heir to Horn Hill.

They had to ride all the way to Vineguard, which stands in the middle of immense sprawling vineyards. A field littered with smaller castles and warehouses, all storing the wine the Arbor was so reknowned for. Vineguard itself was a splendid residence and once in the courtyard the Tarlys had to pass through several valets, stewards and chamberlains until they were greeted in the great hall by none other than Robar Redwyne. The lordling was wearing a close-fit blue doublet, buttoned from neck to waist, wearing a jewelled belt, several rings and an ellaborate golden collar. He was acompanied by several retainers, including his eldest cousin, his uncle, a dwarf, a mummer, a septon and an aged maester.

"Lord Tarly! Most unexpected visit"

He nods. Lord Redwyne kisses the ladies' hands with a seducing smile, wide and full of white teeth, which was an incredibly feat.

"And I presume these ladies are your noble daughters. They have grown in beauty and nobility since I saw them for the last time"

He added, gallant.

Blog Entries

Surprised by how long the road to Vineguard actually was Tarly noted that is was a splendid sight on the eyes. Nothing like the woods around Horn Hill but still, not at all a sore sight. Dickon seemed pre occupied with looking at every woman the party came across.. Perhaps it was time he became a man. The Tarly daughters rode in a carriage, Lord Tarly thought it no place for a woman on top off a horse when on an important voyage like this. No the Tarly woman could only ride a horse in the woods surrounding Horn Hill where they would often report the sighting of live game upon which the Tarly men would then depart for a hunt.

"Lord Redwyne" Tarly said with grace while he motioned for his daughters to come forth.

Pointing at them Tarly said "Perhaps as you remember, Melissa and Talla and my son Dickon stands beside him." It had been so long ago that Tarly met with Redwyne in person that he could not even remember when that was. Nonetheless this was, or at least Sam hoped it to be the beginning of my visits to reintroduce himself with the realm.

"The Arbor does you well it seems Lord Redwyne." He added to further the conversation. "It must be that Arbor wine?" he added jokingly, although Tarly is not known for his joking nature.

"Gallons of that wine, you mean"

He said, in jest.

"I almost bathe in it to preserve my charm, my Lord. It does wonders with the hair"

Robar continued the joke, humoring Tarly.

"What has brought you here, over the waves? If you had told me I could have sent one of my largest carracks to Oldtown to carry you over to my isle"

Blog Entries

Tarly laughed and genuine. It took Dickon and his sisters by surprise having rarely seen a smile on the iron face of their father. He then stroke over his balding head which was still full of thin hair. "Perhaps I ought to try it once then" he replied jokingly. On a more serious note he added "I would greatly appreciate it if you could perhaps ferry us back when the visit has concluded. I am not a seafaring man I noticed. I did notice a significant increase in the docks however?" Tarly inquired.

"I came to see if a martital union between our houses was possible. " Tarly then said, he was never one to beat around the bush.

"Yes. I finished some works there, my fleet have to be docked somewhere, you know"

His fleet now numbered more than two hundred with countless other trading ships, he was the master of the waves in the western seas.

"Uh, a marriage? Between whom?"

Blog Entries

"Aye and nice work it is. I have recently invested heavily in a grand military complex that ensures that Horn Hill has access to a fully professional army." Tarly said, proud of the achievement which had rendered him somewhat poor at the moment.

Tarly looked over his shoulder towards his daughters and back at Lord Redwyne. "Perhaps between yourself and one of my daughters." he then added.

"Me? Married?"

He was baffled for a moment, then calculated the outcome's possibilities.

"I guess it's a good time like any other, Lord Tarly, but whom would I marry? Both are worthy matches"

Redwyne would judge, like a good beauty contest during a pageant.

Blog Entries

Tarly grinned, what a extravagant man he thought.

"I'd take the most beautiful"
    he said laughing. "I suppose Melissa would be a fine match Lord Redwyne, she is nearest to your own age at 21." Tarly didn't have much of a bond with her either. She made him think too much of his diseased wife, which still hunted him.

"Oh well"

Robar looked at his intended. She was fair indeed and wouldn't make a poor choice of a wife.

"I think it might be due time the Arbor has a lady again. It's but fitting"

He scratches his chin.

"My sister wanted me to marry, as soon as possible. I guess this would please her indeed"

Blog Entries

Tarly smiled at his success, gods his jaws were even hurting from smiling this much.

"Excellent Lord Redwyne, your sister sounds like a wise woman."

Samwell coughed in his hand, the idea of taking a ship back to oldtown did not please him too much.

"A marriage within the fortnight then?" He asked, wishing to have a speedy marriage as well.

"Well, we can marry in a fortnigh and celebrate a splendid wedding few months. My stewards would have to spend weeks preparing such a feat, befitting such highborn groom and bride"

He wouldn't let it go without a proper feast, probably celebrating a tourney in Ryamsport.

"My lady will be provided for most handsomely. I will provide few vineyards for her dower and she will have her own household. No expense shall be spared"

Blog Entries

Tarly gave a gracious bow and Melissa stepped forward to bow before her husband to be. She seemed excited. The extravegance of Lord Redwyne appealed to hear. It was a welcome change from her father's Spartan lifestyle.

"I agree Lord Redwyne." not knowing Redwyne's chain of thought Tarly made a suggestion. "House Tarly will commit 15.000 Dragons to host a tournament in celebration." Tarly had somewhat of a bitter taste in his mouth after he mentioned the tourney. Perhaps it was wise that the Tarly men would not ride this time.

"I was just thinking about organizing one. My vassals and all the knights of the Reach and beyond would gladly join. It could be part of a string of pageants we could organize, like mummers' plays and a couple feasts and banquets"

He said, slightly excited. Robar then kisses his bride's hand very gently.

"My Lady, you won't miss a day of fun in this court. I'm not a man to waste my life in prayer and feasting, you see?"

Blog Entries

"Excellent" Tarly countered but he also let out a sigh.. "Well then, off to some more rough sea's I then. We shall see you soon Lord Redwyne." he then added ready to depart for OldTown where there were more deals to close .

Melissa blushed and smiled, she glanced at her sister Talla for a moment. Melissa was happy she was the first to get married and wasted no effort in showing it to her younger sister. "My Lord Redwyne, I look forward to our marriage and the opportunity to see more of the beauty that the Arbor holds".

"You may leave whenever you want, Lord Tarly"

He looks back at Melissa.

"And I assure you, won't be bored. Vineyards, streams, woods, mountains... we have a bit of everything here. You will probably miss the dense forests around Horn Hill, but we don't lack game or trees around here, you see?"

The windows, open to the morning's breeze, revealed a green world, vineyard upon vineyard covered the rolling hills, surrounded by flowery meadows, woods and in the horizon the single mountain chain of the isle. Vineguard was perched atop a hill, so Redwyne enjoyed a good view of his domains.

"And I'm not a man who likes to be bored, you know"

Blog Entries

Tarly wasn't used to these levels of hospitality and in a shocking move to his family he decided to capitalize on it. "Very well Lord Redwyne, your kindness is duly noted. If it truly is no problem we shall spend the night before sailing back." Lord Samwell, Talla and Dickon retired for now. Leaving Lord Redwyne and Melissa to get acquainted.

Melissa was captivated by the man now, such extravagance and the sheer enthusiasm Lord Redwyne talked with made herself enthusiastic about life on the arbor. She giggled at the Lord's rest remark.

"You surely don't seem to be a man who is often bored my Lord." she said gently before saying "It would be my deepest desire and honor to learn about the Arbor, it's vineyards and woods. I have not the slightest of doubts within myself that the Arbor and it's beauty will stem me happy until my dying breathe my Lord."

"I hope it will, Melissa"

Said Robar.

"If I can address you by your name already. It's my belief a husband must treat his wife fairly, so I will endear myself to you, lady Tarly"

He smiled.

"Now, you may retreat to a guest chamber, in due time you shall have your own quarters prepared for you and your household in the west wing"

-------------

Almost a year later, after the wedding, which was a splendid affair celebrated with a grand tourney and several feasts and pageants, Robar was busy with a quite different affair. Shortly after the bedding, Melissa was found out to be pregnant, which was a joyful news for everyone in the Arbor. The Redwyne tree didn't have many branches and the blossoming of its first and foremost was a celebrated event. Thusly, Robar nervously awaited outside Melissa's chambers the outcome of the labour. Yes, he hadn't abandoned his old ways and few of his former mistresses were still visited from time to time, but he had behaved surprisingly well. After all, Lady Tarly was charming enough. Midwives and maesters hurried themselves: the birth was incoming and soon a heir of Redwyne's loins would be born. Robar had prayed for a boy and the full moon that night seemed to indicate that would be the case.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Oznerol View Post
    "I hope it will, Melissa"

Said Robar.

"If I can address you by your name already. It's my belief a husband must treat his wife fairly, so I will endear myself to you, lady Tarly"

He smiled.

"Now, you may retreat to a guest chamber, in due time you shall have your own quarters prepared for you and your household in the west wing"

-------------

Almost a year later, after the wedding, which was a splendid affair celebrated with a grand tourney and several feasts and pageants, Robar was busy with a quite different affair. Shortly after the bedding, Melissa was found out to be pregnant, which was a joyful news for everyone in the Arbor. The Redwyne tree didn't have many branches and the blossoming of its first and foremost was a celebrated event. Thusly, Robar nervously awaited outside Melissa's chambers the outcome of the labour. Yes, he hadn't abandoned his old ways and few of his former mistresses were still visited from time to time, but he had behaved surprisingly well. After all, Lady Tarly was charming enough. Midwives and maesters hurried themselves: the birth was incoming and soon a heir of Redwyne's loins would be born. Robar had prayed for a boy and the full moon that night seemed to indicate that would be the case.
    She smiled graciously "Of course you can my Lord" she said equally gracefully. "But shall we not share a quarter?" she asked, after the wedding of course but still. She couldn't imagine a separated life from her husband.

-------------------

Two days of labour had ensued, midwives came and went, the finest Maesters on the Arbor were there to assist Melissa through her agony. What she would've giving for the supporting hand of a sister or mother in this moment. Alas that was not possible so she endured the pain and struggles that came from bringing a new life into this world. When the maesters and midwives called for a last push she gave it with all strength that remained, a scream could be heard but it was not Melissa's. It was the cry of a young life entering this world. Melissa asked faintly "and?" The midwives said proudly, a fine young boy my lady. Melissa smiled faintly, exhausted from labour. She passed out for a moment making the Maesters anxious about her condition but after several hours she would awake. Pure exhaustion had taken it's toll.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast