Thread: elephantes kataphraktoi indikoi

Default elephantes kataphraktoi indikoi

I play as AS, and I cannot get the elephantes kataphraktoi indikoi unit, but only the anarmoured version (Varu) in Antiochia... I waited until 2nd reforms thinking that the unit is heavily armoured and maybe is a latter military development but nothing happen.

Am I doing something wrong or the unit is not reqruitable at all in this version of the mod? If it is reqruitable where and how can I get them?

thanks in advance!

Default Re: elephantes kataphraktoi indikoi

It's an India-only unit. Go east and conquer India, and you'll get them in your Basilike Patris placed there.

Quote Originally Posted by QuintusSertorius View Post
    It's an India-only unit. Go east and conquer India, and you'll get them in your Basilike Patris placed there.
    Can we get the justification why ?
    We have evidences for Seleucids using armored elephants but what about the Indians ? The Ajanta murals dont feature any armored elephants afaik.

Quote Originally Posted by Neuchatel View Post
    Can we get the justification why ?
    We have evidences for Seleucids using armored elephants but what about the Indians ? The Ajanta murals dont feature any armored elephants afaik.
    Because that's where the elephants are?

Well if regular elephants can be recruited in Antiocheia, there's not reason why the armoured ones shouldn't be as well. The whole point iirc with allowing them in Antiocheia somewhere along the way was that it showed how the Seleucids could recruit them, despite not having lands in India anymore

Quote Originally Posted by Anubis88 View Post
    Well if regular elephants can be recruited in Antiocheia, there's not reason why the armoured ones shouldn't be as well. The whole point iirc with allowing them in Antiocheia somewhere along the way was that it showed how the Seleucids could recruit them, despite not having lands in India anymore
    Is it possible to only allow their recruitment if you're allied to Taksashila (seeing as the Mauryan Empire isn't in the game) or if you own lands in India?

Thanks for reply...

It seems a little difficult this time as all of India belongs to Takshila and they are still my allies (the only one remaining in the region-so I am not willing to attack them at this moment-). Can I get the unit in Parapomisade region (in my campaign currently controled by Bactria) if I managed to get basilike patris?

Quote Originally Posted by AntiochosMegas View Post
    Thanks for reply...

It seems a little difficult this time as all of India belongs to Takshila and they are still my allies (the only one remaining in the region-so I am not willing to attack them at this moment-). Can I get the unit in Parapomisade region (in my campaign currently controled by Bactria) if I managed to get basilike patris?
    If you have enough cash, you can buy or bribe regions from other factions. Especially if there's no governor or agent in the settlement, and no large garrison.

Would it be perhaps better to remove them from the recruitment unit and transport them into being a mercenary unit instead?

Because to my knowledge, the Seleucids recruited elephants from India but never ruled there.

So just make them recruitable in the easternmost provinces and India.

For a while, the Seleucids had an elephant farm near Apamea. Maybe that could be a special building? Just thinking out loud... (Though I'm not sure what proportion of the Seleucids' elephants came from there. If I remember correctly [from Errington, A History of the Hellenistic World] the project was eventually abandoned.)

Quote Originally Posted by Neyak View Post
    For a while, the Seleucids had an elephant farm near Apamea. Maybe that could be a special building? Just thinking out loud... (Though I'm not sure what proportion of the Seleucids' elephants came from there. If I remember correctly [from Errington, A History of the Hellenistic World] the project was eventually abandoned.)
    Coincidentally, we've been talking about adding an "elephant stables" unique, but it's still in the early phases. Won't necessarily happen, but it would allow for greater (and more visible) fine tuning of recruitment.
    EBII Council

alex33's Avatar Centenarius

I think it would only be sensible to make armoured elephants recruitable if the normal ones are already available in antiocheia otherwise it would seem really "gamey"

Yeah it doesn't make any sense, as far as I know Seleucids were the ones with armored elephants... Anyway I always make them recruitable xd I guess I can make a submod

So is this going to be solved ?

Real life Seleucids never fulfilled this requirement (Basilike Patris in India as well, how realistic is that?), yet they used elephantes kataphraktoi indikoi on occasion. So, yeah. It would be cool if you guys can think of a way to overhaul elephant recruitment.

Damn, armored elephants, talk about ancient tank warfare. they must have been the scariest thing to face in battle. Planet wide.

For those who want the Seleukids to recruit armored elephants in Antiocheia:

1) Open EDB in Notepad++ and search for this text:

Code:
    				recruit_pool "indian elephant standard"  1  0.02  1  0  requires factions { f_seleukid, } and hidden_resource hellen1 and hidden_resource eastern ; Antiocheia
    2) Copy the code below so it fits directly beneath the code shown above:

Code:
    				recruit_pool "indian elephant armoured"  1  0.02  1  0  requires factions { f_seleukid, } and hidden_resource hellen1 and hidden_resource eastern ; Antiocheia
    (Not savegame compatible)

If you want armored elephants everywhere, just make them recruitable under every level of wall, by every faction, and set the purchase price and maintenance cost at "10" each. Should make for an interesting campaign.
    EBII Council

I have a feeling the reason the armored elephants aren't made available in Antioch is because of the model as a Seleucid armored elephant should look more hellenistic with hellenistic heavy soldiers throwing spears at least that's how I've seen Seleucid armored elephants depicted, so they would need to make a new one and give a new unit slot and they don't want that. I'm assuming this because the members of EBII don't give a real reason for Seleucids not being able to recruit them where they can recruit the standard ones, but maybe I'm wrong.