Thread: You should have a Patron

Default You should have a Patron

Many people including me has been anticipating the release of this mod for a long time and would like to contribute any way we can. Would a Patreon or a kickstarter for this mod help? I understand many team members are balancing the mod's production with their day to day careers and responsibilities. Would having some extra cash improve productivity in any way?

Default Re: You should have a Patron

It probably would, but unfortunately the team decided long before now that we wouldn't accept money or donations of any kind.
    Vespasian's own: Up the Augusta! For Cato!

AE: Battle Balancing and BAI.

Its also usually one of those things you do after you have released something tangible.

Right now it would be more like investing in a kickstarter and I personally wouldn't feel comfortable. After something is released you guys should revisit the idea in my opinion.

Who am I kidding though, I'd probably give you money anyway. I'm weak.

Quote Originally Posted by JackPot View Post
    Its also usually one of those things you do after you have released something tangible.

Right now it would be more like investing in a kickstarter and I personally wouldn't feel comfortable. After something is released you guys should revisit the idea in my opinion.

Who am I kidding though, I'd probably give you money anyway. I'm weak.
    I'm a patron to a couple of mods. I agree with the OP. Modding for $$ will be a business in the near future.

Julio-Claudian's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by MrMerisi View Post
    I'm a patron to a couple of mods. I agree with the OP. Modding for $$ will be a business in the near future.
    I hope that doesn't kill the spirit of it though. I could swear I've seen a couple of mods which one cannot download without paying. Which is fair enough I suppose if you've worked hard on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Julio-Claudian View Post
    I hope that doesn't kill the spirit of it though. I could swear I've seen a couple of mods which one cannot download without paying. Which is fair enough I suppose if you've worked hard on it.
    Yes I considered that possibility.

#1 reason mods don't evolve? Real life (aka $$) gets in the way.

It's not modding that will actually be the future, it's developers releasing proper SDKs allowing evolution collectives to form.

I could swear I've seen a couple of mods which one cannot download without paying. Which is fair enough I suppose if you've worked hard on it.
    That's against the ToS. And with respect, it isn't fair enough. I apologise for being blunt. Introducing the exchange of money into community projects always radically changes the relationships between its members. Which means:

I hope that doesn't kill the spirit of it though
    It would.

Yeah, look at how the Skyrim paid modding went xD
    Last edited by Petellius; January 25, 2018 at 11:02 AM.
    Vespasian's own: Up the Augusta! For Cato!

AE: Battle Balancing and BAI.

Commissar Caligula_'s Avatar The Ecstasy of Potatoes

There's an ongoing debate about paid mods here if anyone's interested. Personally I'm against em, and in a team effort project I figure it'd just lead to more bad than good with people complaining about the % of money they gain against the % of effort/time they input.

Julio-Claudian's Avatar Senator

Quote Originally Posted by Theramines View Post
    That's against the ToS. And with respect, it isn't fair enough. I apologise for being blunt. Introducing the exchange of money into community projects always radically changes the relationships between its members. Which means:

It would.
    Quote Originally Posted by Caligula View Post
    There's an ongoing debate about paid mods here if anyone's interested. Personally I'm against em, and in a team effort project I figure it'd just lead to more bad than good with people complaining about the % of money they gain against the % of effort/time they input.
    I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Julio-Claudian View Post
    I agree.
    People already complain about not getting enough credit.

There's already a ton of dysfunctional mod "teams" who flake out, fight, argue, split off and give up. Allowing for compensation is not mutually exclusive with proper management of a distributed workforce of motivated people.

There are plenty of small businesses that modify software, plenty of tuning houses that modify cars. Sure, there's also unpaid volunteers. Just because nobody has yet succeeded in creating a well-managed modding business for TW doesn't mean it shouldn't be done.