Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Red Keep

General Brewster's Avatar The Flying Dutchman
    Blog Entries

Default Re: The Red Keep

"All Tyrell's?" Tarly asked before leaving.

Trot's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

"If that is what it takes."

Blog Entries

"Your Grace" Tarly had somewhat of a minuscule evil grin on his face before he bowed and left.

ser Robb Blackwood came to the Red Keep to meet up with his cousin the King to petition for any position.

Blackwood would find the Hand of the King seated upon the Iron Throne, as it has been since the Queen's recent stillbirth. Recognising his cousin, he leans forward and gestures to a herald, who calls out for the Riverlander to come forward before the dais.

Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf. View Post
    Blackwood would find the Hand of the King seated upon the Iron Throne, as it has been since the Queen's recent stillbirth. Recognising his cousin, he leans forward and gestures to a herald, who calls out for the Riverlander to come forward before the dais.
    Robb bowed before his cousin. "Lord Hand. Good to see you again. I am sorry to see that the king is indisposed." he confessed, he quickly came to business. Familiair talk he would safe for a more private matter, without the curious eyes and ears of the courtiers. "I rode to Kings Landing to see if I can be of use to my kinsman. I regret to tell you that Lord Tully has chosen a Bracken over my father to be named Lord of the Ruby Ford - so my future prospects are rather dull in the Riverlands you see."

"Certainly. I'd be glad to welcome your sword into the King's service."

Jaehaerys was perched awkwardly upon the edge of the throne. The damned thing was sharp, and more than once he'd undressed at the end of the day to find small cuts from where the blades of Aegon's foes had nicked him.

"In fact, I believe I can find an immediate use for you, Ser Robb."

It was refreshing to hear something that wasn't the complaining of some brothel owner or the groaning of some discontented lord. A thought sprang into his mind - it was, in fact, related to the last complaint.

"Do you know of the The Whispers? Since the last lord of House Crabb died, it fell into ruin, and is now a haven for pirates and smugglers."

It had become a problem. Many merchants were seeking to avoid the royal tariffs by simply unloading their goods at the Whispers and then taking them south to sell by land.

"I would have you take some men north and hang the miscreants there in the King's name, and then restore the castle to working condition. Should you succeed, I shall name you its lord."

"Certainly. I'd be glad to welcome your sword into the King's service."

Jaehaerys was perched awkwardly upon the edge of the throne. The damned thing was sharp, and more than once he'd undressed at the end of the day to find small cuts from where the blades of Aegon's foes had nicked him.

"In fact, I believe I can find an immediate use for you, Ser Robb."

It was refreshing to hear something that wasn't the complaining of some brothel owner or the groaning of some discontented lord. A thought sprang into his mind - it was, in fact, related to the last complaint.

"Do you know of the The Whispers? Since the last lord of House Crabb died, it fell into ruin, and is now a haven for pirates and smugglers."

It had become a problem. Many merchants were seeking to avoid the royal tariffs by simply unloading their goods at the Whispers and then taking them south to sell by land.

"I would have you take some men north and hang the miscreants there in the King's name, and then restore the castle to working condition. Should you succeed, I shall name you its lord."

Robb was happy when he heard about the prospect as laid out by his cousin. He didn't really know the castle, but knew it was somewhere in Crackclawpoint. "I would gladly get rid of these criminals in the King's name, cousin." he said. He charmingly smiled apologetic towards his cousin. "These men and the needed coin to make something of the place, are supplied by the crown, I take?"

"The treasury will outfit you with half the coin needed. As for the men, a handful of worthy knights would be enough to drive off some smugglers, I am sure."

Jaehaerys would strengthen the Blackwoods with one hand and solve a problem with the other. A good solution, in his mind.

"I shall pray for your success, Ser. See the Master of Coin for the funds, he'll be able to pay you in promissory notes and so forth."

"The treasury will outfit you with half the coin needed. As for the men, a handful of worthy knights would be enough to drive off some smugglers, I am sure."

Jaehaerys would strengthen the Blackwoods with one hand and solve a problem with the other. A good solution, in his mind.

"I shall pray for your success, Ser. See the Master of Coin for the funds, he'll be able to pay you in promissory notes and so forth."
    Robb bows for his cousin, Lord Hand. "I thank you, Lord Hand. I will not fail you."

Blog Entries

A letter is delivered for the King with all haste.

Your Grace,

I have attempted to seek out Lord Tyrell but he was not at High Garden, he currently resides at Riverrun. When I then requested entry to High Garden with a small detachment of men to await Lord Tyrell and ensure my safety the Castellan refused. When I again politely requested him not to refuse the demands outlined by the King's warrant and I ordered five of my men to stop the castellans retreat to High Garden, the garrison at attacked my men and killed two of them.

This outright refusal of demands which fall under the authority of the King's warrant you have provided me with leads me to believe that High Garden and the Tyrell's are traitors to the realm, and should be declared as such.

I have instructed my men to start prepare a siege line and I will send out my son Dickon and 400 riders to Riverrun. To try and arrest Lord Tyrell there. Sadly there is a large possibility that High Garden sends a raven towards Riverrun and alarm Lord Tyrell whom then may raise his men in rebellion.

I humble ask you to brand Lord Tyrell and anyone harboring him traitor's to the realm.

Your servant,
    Lord Samwell Tarly, Lord of Horn Hill and Master of Laws.
    Last edited by General Brewster; December 10, 2017 at 05:59 PM. Reason: Fixed some stuff.

Ser Jol Mormont was standing guard with the Lord Hand, a man he had come to respect in his time in King's Landing. "My Lord Hand, perhaps the mission should be given additional legitimacy." He proposed subtly. "The presence of the King's sworn men will do much to bolster morale. With your leave, I would join in this expedition in the name of our King." Jol was growing bored as of late, he was looking forward to the opportunity of pitched battle once again.

Blog Entries

Ser Kevan also stood guard for the Hand, as it had grown to be his assignment as of late. He anxiously listened to what the letter said. Over the years Kevan's resentment for his father had deteriorated a little. As he heard Ser Mormont speak Kevan nodded in approval. "If I may comment my Lord Hand, I agree with Ser Mormont, but if I may add on it.. Lord Tyrell's presence in River Run may be alarming.." Kevan was not as outspoken at court as Ser Mormont, something Kevan disliked about himself.

mic1402's Avatar Senator

Lord Corlys Velaryon came to speak with the Hand of King. He was unsettled of late, the trouble in the realm had only seemed grow.
    Born in Australia, Living in New Zealand.
    "Force answers force, war breeds war, and death only brings death. To break this vicious circle one must do more than act without thought or doubt."
    "If there is no justice for the people, let there be no peace for the government."
    "The earth is not dying, it is being killed, and those who are killing have names and addresses."

Quote Originally Posted by Pontifex Maximus View Post
    Ser Jol Mormont was standing guard with the Lord Hand, a man he had come to respect in his time in King's Landing. "My Lord Hand, perhaps the mission should be given additional legitimacy." He proposed subtly. "The presence of the King's sworn men will do much to bolster morale. With your leave, I would join in this expedition in the name of our King." Jol was growing bored as of late, he was looking forward to the opportunity of pitched battle once again.
    Quote Originally Posted by General Brewster View Post
    Ser Kevan also stood guard for the Hand, as it had grown to be his assignment as of late. He anxiously listened to what the letter said. Over the years Kevan's resentment for his father had deteriorated a little. As he heard Ser Mormont speak Kevan nodded in approval. "If I may comment my Lord Hand, I agree with Ser Mormont, but if I may add on it.. Lord Tyrell's presence in River Run may be alarming.." Kevan was not as outspoken at court as Ser Mormont, something Kevan disliked about himself.
    The Hand read over Tarly’s words with a grimace. So, it seemed that it had come to this; Duncan had poked the hornet’s best and Tyrell had responded in kind.

“I’m going to raise the King’s men and put an end to this, Sers. Lord Tyrell must be apprehended if he refuses to conform to the King’s justice.”

Jaehaerys had never been a leader of men. In fact, he was thoroughly uninspiring atop a horse - but the famed knights of the Kingsguard were a different matter.

”It is my intent to march to Riverrun with twofold purpose; to address the concerns of these nobles and demand the co-operation of the Lord Tyrell.”

Quote Originally Posted by mic1402 View Post
    Lord Corlys Velaryon came to speak with the Hand of King. He was unsettled of late, the trouble in the realm had only seemed grow.
    Corlys is admitted and brought before the Iron Throne, which the Hand was still uncomfortably occupying.

mic1402's Avatar Senator

"Prince Jaehaerys. i must firstly thank you for the honor you gave to my house, i have rapidly increased the size of the docks in order to service ships coming through. i must ask, are you requesting a enlargement of the royal fleet? While i am playing to expand my own on my own cost and time, I could organize the construction of additional ships."

He paused letting the first inquires sink in before continuing.

"In addition i was planning on visiting Lord Bywater to organize trade, i need the strong timber from the kingswood for ships. I have no idea how willing to accept Lord Bywater is going to be to this trade. A letter from the crown saying that such a deal is in the interest of the crown, would be most helpful."
    "Force answers force, war breeds war, and death only brings death. To break this vicious circle one must do more than act without thought or doubt."
    "If there is no justice for the people, let there be no peace for the government."
    "The earth is not dying, it is being killed, and those who are killing have names and addresses."

"You shall have what you seek. I am sure Bywater will accept when a royal seal is presented to him."

The Hand waved his... Hand, lazily. On his middle finger was a large ruby ring. A servant scurried away to have the royal seal stamped onto a letter addressed to the Lord Bywater, which would be handed to the Lord Velaryon.

"Fortunately, threats from the sea are few and far between. But Blackfyre ever lurks in the East, and so I would deem it wise to remain vigilant. If you think it reasonable to build more ships, Lord Corlys, then I shall trust your judgement."

Jaehaerys expected Velaryon to act with a large amount of independence; he didn't profess to know a single thing about ships.

mic1402's Avatar Senator

"Thank you Prince Jaehaerys." he said accepting the letter. "This will do nicely."

Blackfyre, of course. how foolish as to forget. if they would return now, with the trouble in the realm... "Of course blackfyre, i will see about organizing patrols." He thought for a moment.
    "Understood, I will organize the Royal fleet and see if it needs expansion, it is unlikely to need it however."

With the matter settled Coryls thanked the prince and turned to leave, not knowing about the powder-keg that was about to explode across the realm.

Trot's Avatar Vicarius Provinciae

The keep was abuzz with talk that slowly quieted as King Duncan appeared in the throne room for the first time in months. The white cloak of Ser Crabbe following close behind him. Whispers at his altered appearance went through the crowd. His hair was no longer short and he now wore a respectable beard. His skin was unhealthy and pale from lack of sun, and his step was more hesitant then it once was. However he was dressed as a king in the colors of his house the crown siting on his head. The lines on his face seemed to make him older then his 22 years. Duncan paused to look at the throne an intimidating monstrosity of twisted metal. He could not help but feel the weight of it. It was if the eyes of every King since Aegon the conqueror were on him, Dunk the small. The man who had been willing to step aside, but his fathers plans had stopped that.

I never wanted this, He thought, It should have been Jae.

But none the less here he was the throne was his. The duty was his. Why was duty so heavy? Why had his father saddled him with a responsibility he never wanted? A duty he had ultimately failed. Yet none the less he stepped forward to sit on the monstrous chair. The chair every King of Westeros had sat in since Aegon. A chair that no man could sit comfortably in. As he took his seat he felt a sharp pain in the palm of his left hand. He looked at it to see the blood welling up and beginning to run down his hands. He grimaced it seemed the very throne itself did not see him as fit to sit on it. Still the king hid his hand from the crowd and prepared to hear petitions.

“The King will hear your petitions now.”

Called out the voice of Jaehaerys, who for the first time in a very long time was not taking Duncan’s place upon the Iron Throne. The Hand of the King lingered close by his brother’s side, a crutch to lean on should the King need his support - he had spent some time away from the affairs of the realm, after all, and was perhaps more than a little out of touch with the concerns and issues that plague his kingdom at present. He’d yielded back to Duncan with good grace: he couldn’t refuse his older brother and King, after all, but silently resented that now he was likely to see his good work undone by more questionable legislation.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast