Thread: How good is AI Rome?

Default How good is AI Rome?

Let's say you are playing a faction like Baktria without interfering in Europe affairs. What will Rome do?

Default Re: How good is AI Rome?

Results are variable amongst each play through. Check out some of the Let's Play or the AAR subforum to see the different results people get in their campaign. I don't think it's likely to blob over the entire map like it might with a human player, but they do pretty well in their area of influence. It's really only over many hundreds of turns that we get into an era of major expansion for them historically, and by then there are a lot of factors in how the campaign can turn out.

In my experience, Rome goes north more... EARLIER than it historically did.

in my epeiros campaign rome is doing well... not THAT well but still. They invaded illyria hellenike and took it from the rebels (i coudnt allow that so i took it from them). Years later they took illyra itself (skodra i think, which i allowed). They also were in a really strong battle in sicily against carthage, and had taken syracuse... but then i went in there and after many years took all of sicily (and made peace with them.. all is good now). Only after that the romans started expanding north (so it was like more or less 150 turns before rome got a single rebel city in northern italy).

But since they they really did a great job defeating the rebels in there, and now in turn 250 they have went further and have made a blitz in boioi territories, taking like 4 of theirs in central europe).

Off topic but man the reemergence script is great... in my campaign the arevaci should have been the ones to be beaten, but the lusotannan rebelled and got back, and have taken half of their iberian territories, giving arveni and aedui some time to get back on their feet.
    Then, as throngs of his enemies bore down upon him and one of his followers said, "They are making at thee, O King," "Who else, pray," said Antigonus, "should be their mark? But Demetrius will come to my aid." This was his hope to the last, and to the last he kept watching eagerly for his son; then a whole cloud of javelins were let fly at him and he fell.

-Plutarch, life of Demetrius.

Arche Aiakidae-Epeiros EB2 AAR

Decanus

On my Epeiros n/n campaign, I attacked Rome a couple years after completing the early game Hellas/Makedon conquest. Pyrrhus was in his 60s I believe. They had big armies, but they were all playing footsie with some big Rebel stacks in the Venice-Milan area. I was able to roll them all the way up to Arminium without much fuss. Maybe a half stack was sent to stop me. Once I reached the big armies, I finally got some good fights, but it was too late by then. Was an interesting change of pace from DeI on Rome2 where they have a script that spawns extra Roman armies if you invade Italy.