Thread: Waking the Tiger DLC Thoughts and Discussion.

Default Waking the Tiger DLC Thoughts and Discussion.

The death and Dishonor was a recovery from the previous DLC, but I have been looking for is something that expanded the Asia theater. Paradox finally around to it.
    Waking the Tiger focuses on the China from of the Second World War. This summer I had a chore trying o find a Mod that dealt with the gap in Paradox development.

RELEASE MARCH 18TH 2018

Promo Video

The East Wind Rises

Years before Europe went to war, Japan’s imperial ambitions targeted the divided Chinese Republic. Crippled by political paralysis and centuries of fitful development, China is still not a pushover. With vast reserves of manpower and resources, not to mention a giant landmass, the Republic of China and its temporary ally, the Communists under Mao, can withstand another aggressor. There have been, after all, very many.

Waking the Tiger adds new gameplay options for all players, and has a special focus on the Asian front of the deadliest war in human history.

MAIN FEATURES
    National Focus Trees for China: Guide the Chinese Republic or Communist China through the war, guided by your own vision of the future.
    Modified Focus Trees for Germany and Japan: Two major Axis powers now have alternate history paths, including the chance to depose Hitler or restore democracy to Japan.
    Chain of Command and General Traits: Put multiple armies under the direction of a field marshall to coordinate large movements of army groups, using the traits of your generals to take advantage of their unique skills.
    Decisions: Spend your political power on national decisions and missions to strengthen the war effort.
    And more: Scavenge equipment from the battlefield, use Volunteer Air Corps, acclimatizing troops, and other changes.

Video detailing some stuff

It looks like it will retail for 20 US.

More info from Paradox

More info on the upcoming DLC; "Feature Breakdowns"
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 
    CHINA

GERMANY AND DECISIONS

click here to view

Paradox Grand Strategy Channel (Demonstration of new features)
    Spoiler Alert, click show to read: 

CHINA

CHINESE WARLORDS

JAPAN

OPPOSING HITLER
    Last edited by PikeStance; February 02, 2018 at 03:08 AM.

Default Re: Waking the Tiger DLC Thoughts and Discussion.

They've certainly finished their "Asian trilogy" with this, EU4 Mandate of heaven (which is great) and CK2 Jade Dragon (looking forward to it unlocking tommorrow)

Those who have the season pass will get this for free.

No focus trees for the other Chinese warlords though.

The expanded Focus tree for Germany is part of the patch alongside it?

I haven't got HOI4 but I always try to keep an eye on the dev diaries.

hellheaven1987's Avatar Comes Domesticorum

Wait until last DLC then buy them in a package.
    Quote Originally Posted by Markas View Post
    Hellheaven, sometimes you remind me of King Canute trying to hold back the tide, except without the winning parable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    Cameron is midway between Black Rage and .. European Union ..

there is no such thing as last dlc for paradox... just check crusader kings 2.
    Then, as throngs of his enemies bore down upon him and one of his followers said, "They are making at thee, O King," "Who else, pray," said Antigonus, "should be their mark? But Demetrius will come to my aid." This was his hope to the last, and to the last he kept watching eagerly for his son; then a whole cloud of javelins were let fly at him and he fell.

-Plutarch, life of Demetrius.

Arche Aiakidae-Epeiros EB2 AAR

Anna_Gein's Avatar Primicerius

It looks like Paradox finally started to work seriously on HoI IV post-release. I am tempted to buy the game DLCs now.

Quote Originally Posted by Wulfburk View Post
    there is no such thing as last dlc for paradox... just check crusader kings 2.
    LMAO

The sad thing with CK2 is that Paradox totally denatured the game after so many DLCs. Imo the slow pacing wars of the earliest versions was more fun. I appreciate good dlc but few CK2 DLCs concerned the game core focus (medieval Europe).

The "Waking the Tiger" DLC looks promising. Asia was in dire need to get some love.

Currently Together for Victory is at - 50% and Death or Dishonor is at - 20%. Meaning TfV costs 7.50 euros and DoD costs 8 euros. I will probably buy TfV. I am unsure about DoD for now. Waking the Tiger will probably wait until it goes in sales.

I am a bit fed up by Paradox DLC practice.

Rules of buying Paradox

1. Never ever just buy the base game. Wait until A few DLCs and updates come out. Even their marketing guys state the games are basic and sometimes buggy.
    2. Never buy anything for the full price. Only buy during a sale. They are overpriced.

Sir Adrian's Avatar the Imperishable

Quote Originally Posted by Anna_Gein View Post
    Currently Together for Victory is at - 50% and Death or Dishonor is at - 20%. Meaning TfV costs 7.50 euros and DoD costs 8 euros. I will probably buy TfV. I am unsure about DoD for now. Waking the Tiger will probably wait until it goes in sales.

I am a bit fed up by Paradox DLC practice.
    Honestly DoD is better than TofV in every way. It adds a lot of interesting focus trees and makes central europe the most fun part of the world to play. In TofV you are too far away from the action and basically dependent on what Britain does.
    Under the patronage of Pie the Inkster Click here to find a hidden gem on the forum!

hellheaven1987's Avatar Comes Domesticorum

Quote Originally Posted by PikeStance View Post
    Rules of buying Paradox

1. Never ever just buy the base game. Wait until A few DLCs and updates come out. Even their marketing guys state the games are basic and sometimes buggy.
    2. Never buy anything for the full price. Only buy during a sale. They are overpriced.
    I am close abandoning those practices too since even during seasonal sales the DLCs are still too expensive.
    Quote Originally Posted by Markas View Post
    Hellheaven, sometimes you remind me of King Canute trying to hold back the tide, except without the winning parable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diocle View Post
    Cameron is midway between Black Rage and .. European Union ..

One thing I noticed is that you will not get a better deal than 66% off DLCs. What you need to do is wait until the base price itself is reduced.
    Generally, I wait until the price is below $10.00 for DLCs. For CKII content stuff I will wait until they hit rock bottom (0.99). For the model Content, I prefer to buy them when I purchase the main DLC because you get a little bit more off. It depends on what it is and how well it is received.

It is probably important to note that I do not play these games a lot, so I can afford to wait a really long time.

If in future sales they continue with the current 3 for 2 deal at 50% (50% dlc discount and the cheapest dlc of the three is free) that would seem to be the best bet. Though buying 2 expansions and a unit skin obviously less so

Thanks for the tips Setra. I decided to buy Together for Victory, Death or Dishonor and Medieval II Total War (full pack with Kingdoms) for a total of 20 bucks.

I can not wait for Waking the Tiger to be release. Well, not really the DLC but the patch.

Quote Originally Posted by PikeStance View Post
    Rules of buying Paradox

I disagree with rule #1. I played CK 2, EU IV and HoI IV on release and all were great. CK 2 and EU IV even had nice features which were removed later "for balance". I did not have any trouble with Stellaris either. Imo Paradox games are good on full price since CK 2. Paradox 's games are sufficiently different between each other (even among the same Franchise) to value full price. On the contrary studios like CA release the same game over and over with few changes. As a result it is preferable to wait a discount for them.

Paradox DLC are overpriced for sure. It seems there are no more sales of 75%. No matter the franchise I only saw 50% - 66% max.

I disagree with rule #1. I played CK 2, EU IV and HoI IV on release and all were great. CK 2 and EU IV even had nice features which were removed later "for balance". I did not have any trouble with Stellaris either. Imo Paradox games are good on full price since CK 2. Paradox 's games are sufficiently different between each other (even among the same Franchise) to value full price. On the contrary studios like CA release the same game over and over with few changes. As a result it is preferable to wait a discount for them.
    I believe i did a poor job explaining myself. Pardox games are generally very good at release. My comments were based on exp of the game without and with DLC. It was also based on two Paradox employees podcast. The gentleman worked in the marketing department of Paradox. They were commenting on how they felt that paradox does a very good job of balancing free content with paid content. In their opinion, the free content alone increases the value if the game and makes the gaming experience better. They were quick to point out that they felt the original release was good. I agree with their point of view.

Paradox DLC is overpriced for sure. It seems there are no more sales of 75%. No matter the franchise I only saw 50% - 66% max.
    The only games that are 75% are older based game. Other games are 66% but have an already reduced price from the date of release totaling 75% (or there about) off. It takes a lot of patience to wait that long.

Gallus's Avatar Protector Domesticus

A new Paradox DLC? Well I'd never... I am truly, truly surprised by this news.

It looks like Paradox finally started to work seriously on HoI IV post-release. I am tempted to buy the game DLCs now.

LMAO

The sad thing with CK2 is that Paradox totally denatured the game after so many DLCs. Imo the slow pacing wars of the earliest versions was more fun. I appreciate good dlc but few CK2 DLCs concerned the game core focus (medieval Europe).
    About time they start to do the same with Stellaris... which is only enoyable with the Star Trek mod ( or a collection of like 100 small mods)

Yeah CK2 is a good example on how to ruin a great game with dlc.

I updated the OP.